GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Brake rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL 450
Tell me about it, I think my truck was at another dealership in Florida and even though they said they had the car delivered by truck I think they drove it. The vehicle had 78 miles when I got it and when I asked of course they blamed it on the previous dealer. I've been trying to keep a good attitude but it's getting annoying.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GL, E63
thank you for the pictures.
I passed the traffic light intersection line because the brake is so bad....
Can i base on that request a rotors change?
Old 07-17-2013, 09:48 PM

2013 GL 450
Dealer just called front brakes replaced lets see....
Old 07-17-2013, 11:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MBs
i would definitely speak to dealer in advance that if u feel the slightest bit of vibration to replace rears as well -- sooner rather than later.. my 2cents
Old 07-18-2013, 12:43 PM

2013 GL 450
Well my wife just picked up the GL today, according to her everything seems fine brakes don't vibrate. She read me the parts replaced on the invoice from the dealer and seems that they've only replaced the rotors, I really hope that the problems doesn't come back like I've read from others let's see...
Old 07-18-2013, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Bossnova3
seems that they've only replaced the rotors, I really hope that the problems doesn't come back like I've read from others let's see...
Seems like you might want to PM Fabbris given his knowledge from the factory, and ask how he would recommend approaching your dealer.

Originally Posted by Fabbrisd1
"your dealership at 5K miles made a mistake and replaced only the rotors - and now at 15K you have problems caused by the original contaminated pads... good luck, hope all works well for you !"
Old 07-18-2013, 08:52 PM

2013 GL 450
Believe me you can tell the dealer what ever you want, and they'll still do as what they see fit. The only reason he got what he wanted it's because the vehicle went twice for the same service. Every body will just get the rotors unless there's obvious damage to the pads.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL550
Believe me you can tell the dealer what ever you want, and they'll still do as what they see fit. The only reason he got what he wanted it's because the vehicle went twice for the same service. Every body will just get the rotors unless there's obvious damage to the pads.
When I went in for my mine - I just said - you're doing rotors and pads - right? They said - absolutely.

Even if it weren't a contamination issue, you would never just replace the rotors - always both.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
For X166 - MB will approve replacement of both rotors And PADS FOR "vibration" issues at low mileage IF BOTH ARE SUBMITTED by the dealer.

However - hold over from old school - "most" dealer techs/service departments will request rotors/only - under the misconception that the pads are OK due to low mileage, so those old school tech/dept's don't request approval for pad replacement.

The facts I have seen - with backup experience of the board - is that I have not seen 2nd occurrence if both rotors/pads are replaced - and I have seen 2nd reoccurrence that has happened if only rotors are replaced.

In the event of a 2nd occurrence - then MB will approve 2nd rotor replacement AND pad replacement.

The problem to me seems to be some type of contamination of the rotors prior to assembly of the GL - "bad" rotors have been sent back to Germany for analyis but there is no solid feedback from MB yet - on frequency, I have seen a problem ratio about 20% of my units sold both 550/450, none 350 so far - and overall 0% reoccurence so far when rotors/pads are replaced 1st round and/or 2nd round (and my guys have leaned their lesson).

The pad non-replacement has nothing to do with MB - if the dealer submit's for pad replacement at the same time as rotors MB approves - no problem upstream.

Seqway, I have seen similar situation on new SL's, and on my SL's it has been like 60% hit ratio, interestingly for me I have not seen any issue on 350 ML's - I only have 550/63 ML's out this year, none on that small number yet either.

Rotors and pads are being flown in weekly as stocking item at MB specifically as a result of this issue with X166.

Keep the beat !
Old 07-18-2013, 11:45 PM

2013 GL 450
Originally Posted by Dalema
When I went in for my mine - I just said - you're doing rotors and pads - right? They said - absolutely.

Even if it weren't a contamination issue, you would never just replace the rotors - always both.
Believe me your preaching to the choir.... I told them that the pads should've been replaced, but according to the "master mechanic" at the dealer because the GL had less than 100 miles that wasn't necessary. Even me stating what's obvious to us here at a forum the reality is at the end of the day the dealer goes with the mechanics recommendations. I told them either way that if this were to happen again they were going to replace all four corners (rotors and pads). Anyways so far so good, I'll keep updating once miles start racking up.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:48 PM

GL550
Believe me your preaching to the choir.... I told them that the pads should've been replaced, but according to the "master mechanic" at the dealer because the GL had less than 100 miles that wasn't necessary. Even me stating what's obvious to us here at a forum the reality is at the end of the day the dealer goes with the mechanics recommendations. I told them either way that if this were to happen again they were going to replace all four corners (rotors and pads). Anyways so far so good, I'll keep updating once miles start racking up.
Good luck - hope it's smooth sailing from here on out.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:57 AM

2013 GL550
The facts I have seen - with backup experience of the board - is that I have not seen 2nd occurrence if both rotors/pads are replaced - and I have seen 2nd reoccurrence that has happened if only rotors are replaced.

Not true. My first time in they replaced rotors and pads and it came back in 10,000 miles.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:37 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Most bent rotors are user errors. No offense.

See a pothole? Don't drive through it at splash speed and press the brakes. This simple activity will bent most rotors short of ceramic ones.

Any hot metal rotor splashed with water will bent.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:23 AM

GL550
Originally Posted by alx

See a pothole? Don't drive through it at splash speed and press the brakes. This simple activity will bent most rotors short of ceramic ones.

I guess one should never expect to experience the two situations you describe whilst driving an SUV?
Old 07-19-2013, 10:47 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalema
I guess one should never expect to experience the two situations you describe whilst driving an SUV?
oh, absolutely. but.. that does not change the simple law of physics.

if you want high performance and efficient brakes, you design high rate air pumping rotors (usually vented, slotted). unfortunately the same high air pumping rate turns into high water pumping rate when flooded by a splash which results in lots of water cooling quickly the metal. depending on the material you do this once or a few times- it will warp.

on the other hand simple heavy, thick, solid core rotors will almost never bend.. but you will smoke them in short order.

pick your brakes

said that - people that tend to drive more smoothly and do not apply brakes unnecessary tend to warp rotors less just because most of the time their rotors are not very hot. those people can get north of 50k miles on the pads that wear first (rears in our case). on the other hand aggressive brake-ers are more prone to maintaining high rotor temp (rotors cool off normally very slowly) and thus are more prone to warping. those same people will eat up the rears in 15k miles.

on a related thought- there is really no excuse to eat brakes on the gl trucks equipped with the 7g tranny. the 7g is an intelligent driver-adapting transmission that will slow down and go through the gears accordingly when the accelerator is not pushed. with some planning especially around town the brakes can be seldom used. not coincidentally in town is also where most water-filled potholes are...

Last edited by alx; 07-19-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:55 PM

2013 GL 450
Originally Posted by alx

On a normal situation I would agree with this statement, but when you pickup a brand new vehicle that you haven't had in your procession for no more than 15 miles and the brakes are vibrating I think there's a bigger issue, specially if its happening to people with the same vehicle (year) left and right. It has to be a defect of manufacturing of the rotors.

Last edited by Bossnova3; 07-19-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:59 PM

MBs
i agree 100%.. though theoritically it makes sense- pot hole and water... never heard of warping this early on the 1st gen or any car for that matter- that happens if its continous abuse and improper driving over a long time- for that to happen in a few miles or even a couple thousand miles is unheard of and not expected on a car costing 80-100k..
i'm Confident this will get addressed- again in addition to old stock, prior exposure etc i honestly think this rotor material/pad is just not bonding well and if the replacements are the same - unsure how long before they warp....
Old 07-22-2013, 07:56 PM

2012 mercedes e500 w212
hi, i have a 2012 Mercedes E500 sedan M278 tunned by Keemann. i would like to have better stopping power. what are the best brake pads or pads and rotors for my car.
thank you
Old 07-23-2013, 09:41 AM

2013 GL550
I have been in contact with Mercedes about this situation and I will let you know what comes of it...
Old 07-23-2013, 04:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
20 E350 & 17 GLS450
Brakes

Having the vibration problem at 30-40 mph after i have driven about 30 minutes in typical rush hour traffic. Odd... will inquire with my SA and take in before road trip to beach next month.

only have 2k miles on it.. june delivery
Old 07-26-2013, 05:14 PM

MBs
got them changed today- though dealer had ordered all 4 rotors and pads, only fronts were approved-- but they have all documentation that even a little vibration rears will have to be changed.. lets see how long these last..
Old 07-28-2013, 06:44 PM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
20 E350 & 17 GLS450
Going in tomorrow

They replaced front rotors and pads. Smooth braking again.

Last edited by terp97; 07-29-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:05 PM

GL, E63
got front pads and rotors replaced today.
they refused to change the back.
How's the experience if only fronts are changed?
Old 08-22-2013, 12:26 AM

MBs
mine was ok initially but still felt slight vibration.. again, my dealer and service staff is awesome.. MBUSA called me and I told them only reason rears were not done was due to not being approved and my dealer service is by the book-- they immediately called them and gave the green to do rears.. i got it done last week.. all vibration gone..
in addition to vibration I told them how they justify changing only front on a car like this and that there will be uneven wear.. i mean if you have low miles, thats ok, but at 9-10K miles and only one side changed, it will never be appropriate wear.. MBUSA was extremely courteous and professional, i wanted to make sure my dealer didnt have issues by going ahead with a non-approved service.. in any case they did all 4..

hopefully no more warping/overheating rotors..
Old 08-26-2013, 09:42 PM

GL, E63
Originally Posted by sraza
mine was ok initially but still felt slight vibration.. again, my dealer and service staff is awesome.. MBUSA called me and I told them only reason rears were not done was due to not being approved and my dealer service is by the book-- they immediately called them and gave the green to do rears.. i got it done last week.. all vibration gone..
in addition to vibration I told them how they justify changing only front on a car like this and that there will be uneven wear.. i mean if you have low miles, thats ok, but at 9-10K miles and only one side changed, it will never be appropriate wear.. MBUSA was extremely courteous and professional, i wanted to make sure my dealer didnt have issues by going ahead with a non-approved service.. in any case they did all 4..

hopefully no more warping/overheating rotors..
I've got the car back today, MBUSA refused to change the back brakes.
Would you mind to post the updated part number of the rear rotors and pads?
I feel there is still some vibrations at the back. I would need to continue to push them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brake rotors