MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GL Class (X166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x166-173/)
-   -   Winter tires for 13 GL550 (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x166/565764-winter-tires-13-gl550.html)

gbitar 11-29-2014 01:41 PM

Winter tires for 13 GL550

Anyone tried the 295/40R21 XL Pirelli Scorpion Winter? i am assuming they fit the OEM wheels? Thanks for sharing your views.

BMcD-E500 11-29-2014 08:58 PM

Those will fit and a few folks on here have had good luck with them if I recall. I went with 20" OZ wheels and Blizzak winters. Good luck!

jbattan 11-30-2014 12:01 PM

Blizzak's are generally awesome, so I'd go for those over Pirelli's, which I've never had good luck with.

BMcD-E500 11-30-2014 10:00 PM

True - but the only thing I could find if I wanted to stay at the stock 21" size were the Pirellis. Not a lot of choices in that size for summer or winter boots.

ilikebeer 12-01-2014 08:25 PM

I've had both, albeit on different vehicles: the Scorpions on a BMW X5M and the Blizzak DM-V1s on an Infiniti QX80). The Scorpions had spectacular cold/dry performance, decent wet, very good snow, and mediocre ice traction. The DM-V1s had mediocre cold/dry performance, mediocre wet, great snow, and great ice traction (relative to studless winter tires). I'm sure speed ratings/sidewall stiffness had a lot to do with it.

For 95% of winter driving, the Pirelli's are just fine. They won't turn your GL550 into a rally machine, but you'll be able to safely make your way around unless it's really deep snow or sheer ice.

cyclrder 12-02-2014 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by ilikebeer (Post 6249314)
I've had both, albeit on different vehicles: the Scorpions on a BMW X5M and the Blizzak DM-V1s on an Infiniti QX80). The Scorpions had spectacular cold/dry performance, decent wet, very good snow, and mediocre ice traction. The DM-V1s had mediocre cold/dry performance, mediocre wet, great snow, and great ice traction (relative to studless winter tires). I'm sure speed ratings/sidewall stiffness had a lot to do with it.

For 95% of winter driving, the Pirelli's are just fine. They won't turn your GL550 into a rally machine, but you'll be able to safely make your way around unless it's really deep snow or sheer ice.

On the contrary, my Gl63 with scorpion winter tires does drive exactly like a rally car .... Predictable and easily controlled by the throttle. The dry and wet performance is indistinguishable under normal driving from my 22 zero summer tires. (Actually more comfortable).... As I have said before on the forum... In deep snow (16 inch), you will hang your GL up on ground clearance before the tire's traction fails you.

I do agree that on straight ice... I would bet a blizzak will outperform.... I just don't find myself driving on complete ice all that often.

I highly recommend.

bonboon 01-06-2019 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by cyclrder (Post 6250470)
On the contrary, my Gl63 with scorpion winter tires does drive exactly like a rally car .... Predictable and easily controlled by the throttle. The dry and wet performance is indistinguishable under normal driving from my 22 zero summer tires. (Actually more comfortable).... As I have said before on the forum... In deep snow (16 inch), you will hang your GL up on ground clearance before the tire's traction fails you.

I do agree that on straight ice... I would bet a blizzak will outperform.... I just don't find myself driving on complete ice all that often.

I highly recommend.

i dont know if you dudes need another set of pirelli winters but ive got some take offs from my gls550. 6500 miles on them, tread hasn't been measure but looks great to me. no damage of any kind on these.

pm me if interested. can deliver locally to ny/nj/ct. no firm asking price, just looking for best offer

jbattan 01-06-2019 12:29 PM

Despite my comment in this thread four years ago, I put Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires on my GL550 and am very happy with them. No ice in Oregon yet this winter, but I'm sure we will get some soon.