GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

GL63 is the suspension better than the power?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 350
GL63 is the suspension better than the power?

Odd title I know:

I have a 13' 450 no adaptive suspension or active curve. Its super comfortable and I'm happy with it, but its not quite as rewarding to drive than the X164 08' 450 we had (I think thats due to softer suspension and electronic steering on the X166).

So, I'm considering making the GL my daily driver when me other lease is up - so...

Is a GL63 a much sportier and rewarding ride? Or is it only a bit sportier with a giant rocket strapped to the back?

I could care less about power - its nice buy no car is great to drive just because of the engine...punching it gets old fast (no pun intended)

Suspension is the true character of the car - like how a Panamera rides much firmer and more focused than a BMW (in general).

The character of out GL450 with 20 inch wheels is like a teddy bear. I'd prefer that it be a bit more serious but I don't want a crash ride over the rough stuff. Firm and harsh are two different words if you catch my drift. Firm is great - harsh sucks. The GL450 is neither.

How is the suspension on the 63? I know the X5M suspension is superior to the 5.0 in almost all respects. More controlled while still absorbing bumps better - I think the M division selected the more expensive bits for the suspension? Has AMG done the same? Or is the 63 a superfast waterbed?

Thanks,
DRP
Old 08-31-2015, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Frankly - if you don't "need" 7-passenger then check out the new GLE-Coupe - 450's with AMG profiled engines delivered/ing now - GLE63C's down the road just a few weeks - and with Driver Select selectable profiles - tranny/suspension/steering ratio/engine management - quite slick and the GLE coupe is on 21's already, solid/wide stance.

Please understand 1yr out MY2017 will be GL "update" to GLS - and with that update the GLS will get Driver Select - like in new 16 GLE Coupe now - which gives you Driver Profile - all you need.

If you are focused on a change before MY17 - and focused on suspension experience - then you should consider a GL450 correctly spec'd with adaptive/off-on roadactive curve - quite awesome, a bit loftier drive with 20's over 21's GL550/GLE-Coupe - and often customer preferred.

Keep the beat !
Old 08-31-2015, 10:03 PM

GL 350
Well said

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Frankly - if you don't "need" 7-passenger then check out the new GLE-Coupe - 450's with AMG profiled engines delivered/ing now - GLE63C's down the road just a few weeks - and with Driver Select selectable profiles - tranny/suspension/steering ratio/engine management - quite slick and the GLE coupe is on 21's already, solid/wide stance.

Please understand 1yr out MY2017 will be GL "update" to GLS - and with that update the GLS will get Driver Select - like in new 16 GLE Coupe now - which gives you Driver Profile - all you need.

If you are focused on a change before MY17 - and focused on suspension experience - then you should consider a GL450 correctly spec'd with adaptive/off-on roadactive curve - quite awesome, a bit loftier drive with 20's over 21's GL550/GLE-Coupe - and often customer preferred.

Keep the beat !
I agree. I don't need a 7 seater, but - to complicate things - I won't buy a smaller SUV. I had an X5 v8 with bmws version of active curve. Also an x6 which is identical in size to GLE coupe. The X6 handled noticably better than the x5 due to active differential.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:08 PM

GL 350
Well said

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1

Keep the beat !
I agree. I don't need a 7 seater, but - to complicate things - I won't buy a smaller SUV. I had an X5 v8 with bmws version of active curve. Also an x6 which is identical in size to GLE coupe. The X6 handled noticably better than the x5 due to active differential. I will drive a sedan over any SUV smaller than a 7 seater. (But if I had to drive a smaller SUV I woild choose a Cayenne V8 preferably GTS - great suspension!)

So...I can wait a year for 17' models and see if ride select works well. But I started this post to see what people had to say about the current gl63s suspension. My local dealer doesnt have a cpo amg to drive.

Thanks,
David
Old 08-31-2015, 10:08 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
‘23 Rivian R1S, ‘22 Maybach S, ‘24 Range Rover Autobiography, ‘22 Tesla X, &
I have a GL63. Love the sound and it has good pickup and suspension is tight but it is a truck. Still drives like one.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Indeed the suspension is better than power! I love the dramatic change I notice between the comfort and sports setting for suspension. It drives as though much smaller and lighter in the sports. I don't use sports plus due to it getting a bit stiff.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:42 AM

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
2020 S 560 4 Matic
Originally Posted by drpesq
Odd title I know:

I have a 13' 450 no adaptive suspension or active curve. Its super comfortable and I'm happy with it, but its not quite as rewarding to drive than the X164 08' 450 we had (I think thats due to softer suspension and electronic steering on the X166).

So, I'm considering making the GL my daily driver when me other lease is up - so...

Is a GL63 a much sportier and rewarding ride? Or is it only a bit sportier with a giant rocket strapped to the back?

I could care less about power - its nice buy no car is great to drive just because of the engine...punching it gets old fast (no pun intended)

Suspension is the true character of the car - like how a Panamera rides much firmer and more focused than a BMW (in general).

The character of out GL450 with 20 inch wheels is like a teddy bear. I'd prefer that it be a bit more serious but I don't want a crash ride over the rough stuff. Firm and harsh are two different words if you catch my drift. Firm is great - harsh sucks. The GL450 is neither.

How is the suspension on the 63? I know the X5M suspension is superior to the 5.0 in almost all respects. More controlled while still absorbing bumps better - I think the M division selected the more expensive bits for the suspension? Has AMG done the same? Or is the 63 a superfast waterbed?

Thanks,
DRP
Please do yourself a favor and test drive a GL WITH Active Curve stabilization and Adaptive Suspension. I ordered both on our 2104 GL 350 and am amazed at how well it works. There is virtually no lean when cornering and the difference between comfort and sport is very noticeable on a good curvy mountain road. The GL would wallow and move around quite a bit in Comfort mode and really tighten up in Sport. I couldn't believe how fast I could hustle this huge truck around a corner. I have the 20" wheels as well. I have not tried the AMG 63 so I can't comment on the ride/harshness difference between the tweaked AMG suspension and the regular with the aforementioned options.