GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Brake vibration out of warranty?

Old 09-03-2015, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 350
Brake vibration out of warranty?

Got a CPO 13' gl450 40 days ago (20) of which its been in service. I put just over 1000 miles on it. The brakes pulsate.

They're not worn. Technician confirmed the pulsation and said rear rotors are out of spec. Then the car was returned to me???

Anyone have experience w/this warranty issue on a cpo
car?

Thanks

Last edited by 560SEL; 09-03-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Sure... there needs to be more of a story here... talk in person to the Service Adviser and tell him that if the rear rotors are not taken care of by the dealer - that you will place a call/complaint to MB Customer Care - technically, the rear rotors were inspected during the CPO inspection - and that is recorded upstream to MB to isse CPO - and not possible for rear rotors to go out of spec 1000 miles later... it's the "if you don't fix then I will call MB Customer Care" that should work - if they don't agree in person - THEN place the factual call to MB customer care - VIN# - date of service - service invoice # - etc.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 GL450
I too got a 2013 cpo earlier this year. I've read all these people on here complaining about their rotors and brakes wearing out fast or rotors warped, so when I felt little bit of pulsation, I took it back to the dealer and complained about it. I don't know if it's because my cousin knows the service adviser or he was just being nice, but they replaced front rotors and brakes under warranty. I don't know if I can pull it off again later if I run into a problem.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
The OP in another thread took the dealer service tech out at 100mph to test for vibration that comes up in his vehicle at 98mph - just so we know..
Old 09-07-2015, 07:59 PM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
20 E350 & 17 GLS450
Yep known issue and dealer should replace rotors and pads. I have had at least 3 sets and all replaced at no coast to me. These brakes are horrible on the this 13 build. Do a search on front brakes warped again.
The following users liked this post:
mikenbrook (06-15-2020)
Old 09-09-2015, 06:42 AM

GL 350
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
The OP in another thread took the dealer service tech out at 100mph to test for vibration that comes up in his vehicle at 98mph - just so we know..
Yes I did - not sure how thats relevant here?

On that issue - The shop foreman noticed the vibration and said it may just be normal NVH. He took me out in another 13' 450 and it made the exact same noise. There's nothing you can do about it. But I seriously am considering selling the car (which I just bought in June). Its simply not as much fun to drive as the 2008 GL was. It feels more ponderous and the interior squeeks including loud clunks from the pani roof when fully closed. The brakes arent smooth and the car vibrates at 100. I'll take a pasting on the trade-in I know, but I'd rather be making a payment for something I enjoy. Cars have always been my #1 passion. Our old GL was our family buddy. This one is trying to be something it isnt and failing. Could you imagine an s class vibrating at 100? (Of course that car isnt made in america).

As for the brakes. If its a known issue that repeats, I might as well put good aftermarket rotors on myself - if I keep the car.

Thanks

Drp
Old 09-09-2015, 10:35 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 - GL 550
Originally Posted by drpesq
Yes I did - not sure how thats relevant here?

On that issue - The shop foreman noticed the vibration and said it may just be normal NVH. He took me out in another 13' 450 and it made the exact same noise. There's nothing you can do about it. But I seriously am considering selling the car (which I just bought in June). Its simply not as much fun to drive as the 2008 GL was. It feels more ponderous and the interior squeeks including loud clunks from the pani roof when fully closed. The brakes arent smooth and the car vibrates at 100. I'll take a pasting on the trade-in I know, but I'd rather be making a payment for something I enjoy. Cars have always been my #1 passion. Our old GL was our family buddy. This one is trying to be something it isnt and failing. Could you imagine an s class vibrating at 100? (Of course that car isnt made in america).

As for the brakes. If its a known issue that repeats, I might as well put good aftermarket rotors on myself - if I keep the car.

Thanks

Drp
Every product Version 1.0 is Screwed up basic thumb rule.

GL is mostly a family hauler and I doubt anyone would do 100MPH with their family in the car and even if you decide to do it yourself I would still not recommend it instead of making a Cop day why dont you invest the ticket money in the good brakes.....

I have 15 550 and I have never been above 90 and I never felt any vibration either and as you got this CPO so I am positive it could very well be a shot rotor or pads which can be fixed why dont you take your car to a good indy....

Thanks
Old 09-09-2015, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Interesting your dealer service dept took you on a ride in another 2013... interesting.

So did I miss whether or not your 2013 GL450 had fresh tires on it when you bought it as CPO ?

Frankly - I have been in customer's GL's with them - at 100mph - and did not have vibration - at correct fuel-filler-flap tire pressure - at higher pressures than that you can expect harmonic tire vibration at speed.

What mileage is on your GL - and what mileage is on the tires, if all foru tires were not new at time of your CPO purchase ?

I have never heard "clunks" from a pano roof - and again, you have CPO warranty - correct ?

On your brake vibration - I suggested you mention to your Service Adviser that if this wasn't addressed - that you would contact Mercedes Customer Care - a toll free call - so what has happened with that ?

Curious-er and curious-er
Old 09-10-2015, 04:36 AM

GL 350
Interesting your dealer service dept took you on a ride in another 2013... interesting.

So did I miss whether or not your 2013 GL450 had fresh tires on it when you bought it as CPO ?

Frankly - I have been in customer's GL's with them - at 100mph - and did not have vibration - at correct fuel-filler-flap tire pressure - at higher pressures than that you can expect harmonic tire vibration at speed.

What mileage is on your GL - and what mileage is on the tires, if all foru tires were not new at time of your CPO purchase ?

I have never heard "clunks" from a pano roof - and again, you have CPO warranty - correct ?

On your brake vibration - I suggested you mention to your Service Adviser that if this wasn't addressed - that you would contact Mercedes Customer Care - a toll free call - so what has happened with that ?

Hello again. My car is a Sept. 12' build 450 which I bought with 51000 miles on it off lease. The dealer I bought from also delivered the car and serviced it exclusively. As for the tires, the dealer put fresh bridgestone moe tires on. I had them replaced 2 weeks ago with new comtinentals. I detest runflats. The ride has improved considerably. The vibration is not the tires as it goes away over 105 (and did with the bridgestones too) - at 110 its butter smooth. I had a few motorcycles over the years, all bmw 4 cylinders. And each bike had a vibration or slight buzz in the handlebars at a specific speed. I'm not an engineer but I believe that this "vibration" at a certain rpm is normal for most engines. Though our 08' 450 had no such issue. In fact I've never had another car with this type of vibration. Wonder if new motor mounts would help? I was convinced maybe the flex discs in the driveline were defective? To be clear this is not a vibration like a tire out of balance would produce. Its more like the feeling of driving on grooved pavement with a low hum. My wife said she wouldn't have noticed it if I didn't mention it - in other words its subtle - but the tech noticed it and it was present in the other 13' 450 I drove. As for my driving. Yes this issue does come up on the weekends with the family aboard. (Marijuana use same sex marriages were illegal everywhere until recently - lets pray our outdated oppressive speed limits are next in line for legislative review [never happen]. But in all seriousness this is a mercedes. Brought to you by the same folks who designed the autobahn - seriously. I've got to believe the engine team responsible for the turbo motor in my car would be very upset to read this post. 160 km/h raises no eyebrows for a german car in my book.

As for complaining to mb customer service about the brakes, I will do that if needed. For now, I left a message w/my sales woman. Its a cpo issue and she just sold me the car. If its not her issue, I'm sure she'll direct me back to service. Then I can approach mb if its not covered. There was a car & driver long term test wherein their 13' GL had brakes replaced twice under warranty due to vibrations. Its a known problem.

As for the clunks from the roof, I haven't mentioned it to service yet. One of my other cars has a noisy roof that rattles and clunks. The GLs roof is silent except for a single loud clunk - that sounds like a rock or heavy acorn was dropped on the roof. It makes the noise about 1 out of every 3 times its driven, and it seems to come from body flex - for example when pulling out of a driveway apron and the chassis is twisted by gravity for a moment. I wonder if the roof cassette can be tightened or re-installed? I definitely won't mention that to service unless I can reproduce it for them. Lets hope it goes away.

Last thing: imagine if my buzz at 100 was caused by an improperly machined rotor(s) that is out of round? My rotors and pads aren't worn - they are "out of spec" according to the dealer??

Thanks for all the feedback
DRP

Last edited by 560SEL; 09-10-2015 at 04:52 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:23 AM

GL 350

One more thing...

Service always jacks the tire pressures up. There are two very different set of numbers on the gas cap as opposed to the driver's door jam. They put them at ridiculous numbers 44/47. I have experimented and run 36/36 cold which I believe is close to the cap numbers. Maybe one set of pressures is for run flats???

DRP
Old 09-12-2015, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Correct tire pressure is inside the fuel filler flap - the sticker inside driver's door jamb is meaningless - yes, 44/47/ lbs is WAY TOO HIGH for any type of ride..
Old 11-02-2015, 02:46 PM

GL 350
Correct tire pressure is inside the fuel filler flap - the sticker inside driver's door jamb is meaningless - yes, 44/47/ lbs is WAY TOO HIGH for any type of ride..
I still haven't resolved the rear rotor issue. My sales woman referred me to the service manager. I've blown the whistle on other dealers way too soon in the past. This time I'm giving them all the time in the world to resolve it. I only drive the car a few times a month anyway.

"engineered like no other car in the world" ... "sold and serviced by profiteers like every other car in America" LOL!

DRP
Old 11-11-2015, 02:25 PM

GL 350
Roof problem fixed - brakes still outstanding

The roof rattle was actually in the headliner. The car was delivered with a broken rear sunshade on the roof. It was off track. (It also came with no floormats and 1 key - all problems remedied within 2 weeks of delivery).

So in fixing the rear sunshade I guess the roof liner wasn't fully secured aafterward and was making a bad clunk. I fixed that - it snapped in with a little pressure.

As for the brakes still waiting....

DRP
Old 11-11-2015, 05:08 PM

MB GLS550/BMW 550/2017 Acura NSX
Our GL is on it's 3rd set of front pads/rotors in 30k miles.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:01 PM

GL 350
Wow!

Did they wear out? Or other problems? Any vibration issues?

Regards,
DRP
Old 11-11-2015, 06:14 PM

They warped. It's a known problem on the GL's.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:43 PM

GL 350
ah ha!

Originally Posted by Axxlrod
They warped. It's a known problem on the GL's.
Would you be willing to email me the three repair orders? If you're concerned about privacy you can black out your name address, VIN etc.. I want to show them to my service foreman. Just today my dealer emailed me back saying they would cover 50% of the repair.

my email is drpesq@mac.com

That would be sensation ammunition if you're comfortable with that.

Regards,
David R. Peck, Esq.

P.S. are they still warping? I believe the rotors for the 14' GL450 have a different part number...?
Old 11-13-2015, 01:55 PM

I will if I can find them. Moving to a new house next week, so everything is currently in boxes.

I think I remember my service guy telling me the last time they were replaced that MB had a different part number now that fixed the problem.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:08 PM

GL 350
Problem solved

The service manager approved the renewal of new rear rotors and pads under warranty. He was very conscientious and really took the time to investigate the issue and then was proactive in reaching out to me to resolve the issue. Ultimately it is a very good reflection on my local dealer and I've expressed my gratitude to them.

Thank you for offering your invoices. No need to trouble you for those. The collective power of these online forums is really a huge asset to us owners/consumers. Thanks again for the offer.

Hopefully I get the updated rotors!

Happy holidays,
DRP
Old 01-22-2016, 09:27 PM

2013 GL450
MB Servicemen can lie just as well as Chevrolet's!

Do any of you guys quoting warped rotors actually know this to be fact? Or are you repeating what you were told?

My 2013 GL450 made it all the way to 26,xxx mi before the shudder in the front brakes became untenable. Having purchased a 7-year extended warranty, I had no doubt that at least the rotors would be covered, if not the pads themselves. Was told that the rotors had warped and would need new rotors, pads, and wear sensors, none of which, as "normal wearing surfaces" would be covered under warranty. I pointed out that I had read about this problem in numerous places on this generation, even that Car and Driver reported having them replaced UNDER WARRANTY no less than three times during their long term test, but to no avail. They had no record of any such problem, no updated parts, what they would use was identical to what I had. As a long term recipient of BS, I asked them to put the car together, sell me the parts, I would handle repair. Parts were $700, almost to the penny.

Got the car home and checked rotor runout with dial indicator, almost no variation anywhere--on the hub nor at max circuference of either side. Pads looked new, rotor was worn, though definintely not warped. This is indeed a pad problem, a pad that is too hard will scour the rotor, one that is too soft will overheat and warp it. Or, as suggested, some sort of contaminant in the pad or left on the rotor at installation. Either way, certainly an issue not of normal wear and tear nor in any way a problem of my creation and by my reckoning, should be under warranty.

Since I was to get nothing updated in the new parts, I opted not to use them. As for the rotors, though MB will tell you that cross-drilled rotors cannot be machined, O-Reilly's did a perfect job on mine for $15/each. A little Disc Brake Quiet on the old pads and some silicone grease on the contact surfaces, reassembled and for under $50, all is as new again for nearly five months now. Assuming that there is some sort of impurity in the pad matrix, I expect at some point to have the problem again, but next time will use an aftermarket pad instead (unavailable at the time of my repair, car was too new). BTW, even after machining, O'Reilly's and I agree that there will likely be enough rotor left to be machined again.

Took the parts back unopened for refund and a few choice words about honesty to customers!
Old 07-22-2016, 01:50 AM

2013 GL450
Just found out that MB sent out a Service Bulletin on this issue back in April '14! Note especially the new lining set number. Though my dealer claimed to know nothing about it:

Juddering/shuddering of the front axle brakes
Topic number LI42.10-P-057186
Version 2
Design group 42.10 Service brake
Date 04-03-2014
Validity All vehicles of model series 166 with brake size 375x36
mm and code 494
Up to production date: 31.10.2013
Up to chassis end number: A328932

1) 166.073 (ML 500 4MATIC) - No restriction
2) 166.824 (GL 350 BlueTec 4MATIC) - Only in combination
with code P31 (Exterior sport package)
3) 166.872 (GL 450 4MATIC) - No restriction
4) 166.873 (GL 500 4MATIC) - No restriction
Reason for change Production date and chassis end number of validity
adjusted
Complaint:
Juddering/shuddering of the brakes at the front axle can be felt when braking.
Cause:
The brake lining used (A006 420 37 20) causes a thickness fault in the brake disks
Remedy:
1. Replacement of brake disks (see parts note)
2. Installation of optimized brake linings (see parts note)

Part number Designation QTY EPC
A 007 420 09 20 Front axle brake lining set 1 X
A 166 421 09 12 Front axle brake disk 2 X
Parts

Op. No. Operation Text Damage Code
40-1590 REMOVE/INSTALL WHEELS (2) 42101 H4
40-2706 REMOVE/REPLACE BRAKE PADS OF FRONT AXLE 42101 H4
40-2731 REMOVE/REPLACE BRAKE DISKS OF FRONT AXLE 42101 H4
Work units
Old 01-13-2018, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by Dreamszalone
Every product Version 1.0 is Screwed up basic thumb rule.

GL is mostly a family hauler and I doubt anyone would do 100MPH with their family in the car and even if you decide to do it yourself I would still not recommend it instead of making a Cop day why dont you invest the ticket money in the good brakes.....

I have 15 550 and I have never been above 90 and I never felt any vibration either and as you a got this CPO so I am positive it could very well be a shot rotor or pads which can be fixed why dont you take your car to a good indy....

Thanks
lol! Seriously?!

thats why we have the gl....it’s the most comfortable and safe "autobahn" stormer I’ve ever driven.

The family barely notices speeds of 100...110 or 130....mph

but i keep speeds sensible around traffic....and of course Waze.

Dont let anyone fool you. These cars were meant to be driven hard. 🤩
Old 01-14-2018, 03:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 - GL 550
Well some like to abuse the **** out of their car and some like to baby it. No matter how strong it is built doing 90+ with family is still not safe, I may trust my driving and car but I dont trust the opposite person. Good luck if you find Auto Bahn on US highways Do send us the picture of max speed you can reach.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by Dreamszalone
Well some like to abuse the **** out of their car and some like to baby it. No matter how strong it is built doing 90+ with family is still not safe, I may trust my driving and car but I dont trust the opposite person. Good luck if you find Auto Bahn on US highways Do send us the picture of max speed you can reach.

Our family Gl definitely gets babied. Sitting inside in the garage warm and cozy, hand washed with loving attention every time, every gripe cough and niggle addressed at the mb dealership, ebc sport vented rotors with akebono pads to keep away the heat and dust; and two pairs of shoes for winter and summer to boot!

I'm sure there is an engineer in Germany just wanting to reassure you!
Ours meanwhile loves to stretch it's legs every once in awhile, and everyone inside is blissfully unaware.
And the gl...I'm sure it is more than happy to have relived an autobahn moment.

Speaking of safe....what youre asking is definitely unsafe!
Old 01-15-2018, 08:32 AM

2007 e320 bluetec
I just test drove a 13 gl450 at the dealer with 67000 miles, wife definitely noticed the vibration at 40 to 65 mph and the dealer was saying it was a tire balancing issue. thanks to all who have posted. I am staying away from this model/year GL! Beautiful suv with all the options but this vibration would annoy the heck out of me. the vehicle had new michelins on it. it definitely feels like it is coming from the powertrain.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brake vibration out of warranty?