GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Import GL350 from Canada to USA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Import GL350 from Canada to USA

Hello All.

I need a help to figure out any details that people may know how to import GL350 from Canada to US. I really like GL350 with AMG package, which is not available in USA, but all other countries have it. I found couple of good deals in Canada for slightly used 2015 cars with AMG package. Thinking to buy it and import it to US. Does any of you have any info about conversion process and cost of it. I already spoke to RI (registered importer), which acts as I broker in this transaction and their service cost about $550 including all paper works for DOT and EPA. I spoke to MBUSA about warranty and they confirmed that factory warranty will be honored in USA as long as the vehicle converted to US standards. Conversion is actually KM to miles in speedometer. Other than this the car is identical, except AMG package.

Anybody ? Anything I'm missing ?
Thank you.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 - GL 550
Originally Posted by aeggroup
Hello All.

I need a help to figure out any details that people may know how to import GL350 from Canada to US. I really like GL350 with AMG package, which is not available in USA, but all other countries have it. I found couple of good deals in Canada for slightly used 2015 cars with AMG package. Thinking to buy it and import it to US. Does any of you have any info about conversion process and cost of it. I already spoke to RI (registered importer), which acts as I broker in this transaction and their service cost about $550 including all paper works for DOT and EPA. I spoke to MBUSA about warranty and they confirmed that factory warranty will be honored in USA as long as the vehicle converted to US standards. Conversion is actually KM to miles in speedometer. Other than this the car is identical, except AMG package.

Anybody ? Anything I'm missing ?
Thank you.
Looking at the US$ value I guess you should go for it, and even if you buy something from US and try to convert it to AMG Package it will cost you arm and a leg so better go to Canada and get one dont waste much time do it when the dollar rate is 1.35 or 1.36 during weekends.
And apart from that you would have to get a letter from the dealership that there is no recalls open on this car.

Thanks
Old 09-10-2015, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dreamszalone
Looking at the US$ value I guess you should go for it, and even if you buy something from US and try to convert it to AMG Package it will cost you arm and a leg so better go to Canada and get one dont waste much time do it when the dollar rate is 1.35 or 1.36 during weekends.
And apart from that you would have to get a letter from the dealership that there is no recalls open on this car.

Thanks
Thanks. Yes, I know about recall letter. RI told me the same thing, it's very important to get it at the time of purchase.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
The conversion rate is around $1.31 from USD TO CAD. so your U.S $ gets allot more bang for the buck now verus say a year ago. I would go for it based on currency alone. I dont really understand why MB never made the AMG package for the 350 stateside.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:13 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Does it have to be used? or a new one is possible as well?

I'm wondering if it is subject to the export rule as well.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jtse
Does it have to be used? or a new one is possible as well?

I'm wondering if it is subject to the export rule as well.
They have the same export rules like we have in USA. It has to be used.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:57 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
GLC300 (GL350-gone)
I know this thread is old, but with an even stronger exchange rate it bears reawakening. Unfortunately for the 0P, that RI was ill informed. Certain vehicles do not meet US standards and are explicitly listed on a certain official Bulletin issued for registered importers as noncompliant. specifically, the TPMS strategy on some cars not built for US is not the same and does not comply with NHTSA/DOT rules. seemingly otherwise compliant Mercedes models almost all fall in this category of vehicles not permitted to be imported. The only way to get around it is to somehow retrofit the manufacturer's US system and that could cost thousands of dollars depending on what additional hardware and software changes need to be done to activate sensors one could easily mount in the wheels. The noncompliant system uses ABS speed sensors as opposed to pressure sending units in the wheels. There is not an RI who knows how to achieve it independently absent the help of a very willing and friendly dealership. Even overcoming that, there's also the matter of the speedometer facing and the temperature controls for the air-conditioning heating system. Admittedly temperature controls are merely cosmetic, but that would be pretty odd to have Celsius scale. There is a huge Delta on us can pricing right now with expensive Mercedes models, it's kind of a bummer. The further bottom line truth is that a Mercedes dealer will not sell your car for direct export. They get their asses kicked regardless of where it's being sold if it's exported, this is true if you are buying new US for export to another continent or whether you ere Canadian dealer With a US exported car. Buying a used one from a private party seller of course changes that equation. Nonetheless, the importing hurdle remains the obstacle to overcome. This is not just for the GL.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63S
When it was the other way (Can$ on par with US$) I purchased a new 2010 GL350 and brought it to Canada. Only thing that really needs changing is the Instrument cluster and some software programming for the Daytime Running Lights (in Canada you can't turn them off). I'd talk to your local dealer and see what the cost of this conversion is than confirm if warranty is re-instated once this is completed.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:12 PM
GL-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GL450
Could you buy new in Canada, drive around Canada on vacation, and then import it once it is "used"? I knew folks that would do that with a Euro spec'd Porsche, driving around Europe for vacation, and then shipping the now "used" car back to the US.

...but that was some time ago.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:32 PM

GLC300 (GL350-gone)
Different entirely going US to CAN, except for MB Corp to franchisee anti-export sale pressure. This last is problem with what GL- asks, not to mention the whole point of my prior post!
Old 02-26-2016, 12:46 AM

06 ML 350 in Europe & 12 GL 350 Avantgarde in Canada
Concerning the change km/miles, I do not know about the W166, but for my W164 2012 GL350 it is simply a matter of programming via the steering wheel buttons. It is amazing: the odometer scale remains the same but the needle will stop to the correct miles speed, so 60 km will now be 60 miles. All displays will be in miles, even the navigation changes from km to miles. Done it many times for my travels south of the border. If you plan to buy a W166, you better check with an actual owner or consult the Canadian manual.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:20 AM

2010 tundra
Gl350 sport body kit

I believe ebay has sport body kit for gl350 and 450, is $2999 + $1000 shipping, you can look under: Mercedes X166 12+ GL-Class Complete Body Kit GL63 AMG Design Front/Rear Bumper + Exhaust Muffler Tips + Wheel Arches, today is a holiday July 4th, so tomorrow I will contact them to see if It works, if that's the case, I definitely gonna buy a gl350 with great mileage and make it look alike a gl63 but half the price.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:04 AM

GL450
Importing Vehicle from Canada

The vehicle will need to be imported by a registered importer that is licensed by the EPA to do the modifications necessary in order to bring the car into compliance with USA rules. You are advised to contact an EPA registered importer BEFORE you purchase the vehicle.

At the minimum the importer will modify the speedometer in order to change from KM to MI.

The GL is made in Alabama so you can import it under 9801 provisions for american goods returned and therefore duty free. However you will have to pay for the importer's and the customs broker services.

Let me know how it goes if you decide to do this. I am interested in an ML Bluetec from Canada as it has better options and its cheaper than the US spec model.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:50 AM

GLC300 (GL350-gone)
Unfortunately, MB products do not so qualify for easy import. In fact, they are among those vehicles explicitly prohibited under an official written proclamation (newsletters from NHTSA) to Registered Importers due to nonconformity with TPMS regulations, using a system that (intentionally on MB's part, I'm certain) does not meet US standards. Because of the way this reg is written, no RI can legally import for you as of now, for example there's no simple retrofit opportunity with an aftermarket system allowed under the regs. Imagine that, I wonder what lobby group helped shape those, right?
With all due respect to this last poster, he is correct in concept but not in fact for MB, sorry. Can't import an MB from Canada legally as of 2016 (ok, there is one approved exception with current cars, the recent SLK offered an Optional TPMS system in CAN that is US FMVSS compliant if it was so factory installed).
Should I learn that an RI obtains some ruling otherwise based upon a new approach, I'll update this and other threads.

Last edited by mustbebenz; 09-30-2016 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:11 AM

GL350

I bought a GL350 with the AMG package from Canada, just because I wanted the diesel and AMG. Needed the speedo changed and that was it. Warranty works in USA. Haven't figured out how to change outside temp to display F and the HVAC is in C but thats about it, no big deal.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:10 AM

GLC300 (GL350-gone)
Despite that claim, it is expressly forbidden by NHTSA to "import" Canadian MB in that manner. If you did it yourself, you can't title and register the car unless your local officials are somehow that incompetent to your good fortune. If you paid then you've been defrauded by a registered importer, I'd like to know who it was. Any legit RI knows what's truly required effectively precludes legal importation.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:48 AM

GL350
It was bought through an auction company in the US that imported it. The GL class (all years and variations) is even listed on Mbcanada's website as admissible to the US.

http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content/...lity.0002.html
Old 12-27-2016, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
You might check - I don't "think" you will have any MB warranty.

Warranty for visiting Canadian's - but I "think" warranty for transferred US ownership - I think not..
Old 12-27-2016, 03:08 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 - GL 550
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1

Warranty for visiting Canadian's - but I "think" warranty for transferred US ownership - I think not..
Well when I took my US vehicle to Canada the MB Warranty followed all I had to do was change the speedo meter to Canadian standard get the safety and inspection done via local Canadian business and the most important was get a letter from dealership in US that vehicle didn't had any outstanding recalls, that was about it and my GL warranty was transferred from US to Canada. I believe it should be same as US to Canada.

Note :- When I was doing the safety inspection the question did arise from Fahrenheit to Celsius for HVAC and I told them I am ok with Fahrenheit and they seems to be ok as well. And Canadians were OK with the speedo meter as well when they figured out that the Digital display in the middle shows KMphr, but I still went ahead and changed it later for the sake of warranty.

This was done 4 years ago so not sure what all must have been changed by now in regards to laws and policies.

Thanks
Old 12-27-2016, 05:50 PM

GLC300 (GL350-gone)
1. US to CAN is not the same, apples and oranges. This thread concerns importing a car one buys from CAN. See top posts. Exchange rate and pricing strategy together make it look good, but it's not been legally possible as I explain in detail. No comment on the reverse scenario.

2. The MB Canada reference is also grapes to cherries. That's for private owners who want to move with their current cars, not for those buying one from abroad. It applies to Dreamzalone, maybe, and more relevant to this post for those moving in the opposite direction to US. Either way, eligible versus compliant are different. CAN cars must still comply with US regs. Now read my posts above on that. The US government states that these vehicles do not conform to its standards. Period.
It is my guess in circumstances where a Canadian Mercedes owner must move to the US and wants to bring her car, Mercedes will work with some US dealer to both address the otherwise impossible nonconforming tire pressure issue at owners cost and then activate remaining warranty. Neither of those inclinations hold true for someone just trying to save some money on a new car purchase.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I just happen to actually know this stuff. I'm pleased for those enjoying a gl from and in any nation.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:27 PM

GL350
I already went to a dealer and they processed a warranty claim without issue.

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1

Old 12-27-2016, 06:29 PM

GL350
Not sure what happened with mine if this is true but I have my title, car and full warranty from MB....oh well, mine slipped through the cracks I guess

Originally Posted by mustbebenz
1. US to CAN is not the same, apples and oranges. This thread concerns importing a car one buys from CAN. See top posts. Exchange rate and pricing strategy together make it look good, but it's not been legally possible as I explain in detail. No comment on the reverse scenario.

2. The MB Canada reference is also grapes to cherries. That's for private owners who want to move with their current cars, not for those buying one from abroad. It applies to Dreamzalone, maybe, and more relevant to this post for those moving in the opposite direction to US. Either way, eligible versus compliant are different. CAN cars must still comply with US regs. Now read my posts above on that. The US government states that these vehicles do not conform to its standards. Period.
It is my guess in circumstances where a Canadian Mercedes owner must move to the US and wants to bring her car, Mercedes will work with some US dealer to both address the otherwise impossible nonconforming tire pressure issue at owners cost and then activate remaining warranty. Neither of those inclinations hold true for someone just trying to save some money on a new car purchase.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I just happen to actually know this stuff. I'm pleased for those enjoying a gl from and in any nation.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi all.

I see that I started interesting conversation and it's still alive
Since the time I posted it - I've sold my GL350 and bought Range Rover Diesel, so no need to buy canadian car anymore, but at that time I asked MB rep about a car warranty and the answer was that any MB GL350 brought from Canada will have the same 4 year warranty as US version. The difference starts if you'd like to buy MB extended warranty. Several people from MB said the same thing - they will not be able to sell MB extended warranty to canadian car. Honestly - I dont think it's a big problem since there are about 1000 other companies to buy a warranty if you really need one.
Canadian GL350 is a beauty and totally worth any penny you spend on it. It's a shame that the people of the country where the truck is produced can't buy the best looking version of it.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:47 PM

GL350
Originally Posted by aeggroup
Hi all.

I see that I started interesting conversation and it's still alive
Since the time I posted it - I've sold my GL350 and bought Range Rover Diesel, so no need to buy canadian car anymore, but at that time I asked MB rep about a car warranty and the answer was that any MB GL350 brought from Canada will have the same 4 year warranty as US version. The difference starts if you'd like to buy MB extended warranty. Several people from MB said the same thing - they will not be able to sell MB extended warranty to canadian car. Honestly - I dont think it's a big problem since there are about 1000 other companies to buy a warranty if you really need one.
Canadian GL350 is a beauty and totally worth any penny you spend on it. It's a shame that the people of the country where the truck is produced can't buy the best looking version of it.
I was going to buy the full size Range Rover diesel (I've owned and loved 3 Range Rovers already!) but this time I thought I'd try Mercedes. I like the 3rd row in the Mercdes and the price was quite a bit less than the Range Rover.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Etcatmeat
I was going to buy the full size Range Rover diesel (I've owned and loved 3 Range Rovers already!) but this time I thought I'd try Mercedes. I like the 3rd row in the Mercdes and the price was quite a bit less than the Range Rover.
I am exactly opposite - went from 3 previous GLs to a Rover. It's been not exactly my desire, but my wife's. She's watching too much Housewife of "anything" and everybody drives Rover there, so she was talking about it for about ...hmmm.....3 years Finally I decided to try. Honestly I have mixed feelings about that car. One thing is for sure - people pay much more attention to you when you drive RR then GL, but other than this - GL is much more user friendly car. RR forum sucks, admins on that forum - double sucks

Good Luck and enjoy your GL.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Import GL350 from Canada to USA