GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

tire & pressure recommendations for 2014 GL 450

Old 02-15-2016, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL 450
tire & pressure recommendations for 2014 GL 450

Hi,
I have a 2014 GL 450 with 19" wheels/tires and I'm getting ready to get rid of these awful Continental OEM's which have worn out at 17k miles.

Anyone have tire recommendations for all seasons? I have noticed something weird. The OEM tires have a max PSI rating of 51. While many of the recommended from tire rack etc (ex. Michelins) have a max PSI of 44.

If I run these say in the 30's will my TPM constantly be on?

Also, I've read on several threads regarding the inside door pressure recommendations vs. the inside gas tank cover. Which recommendation are people using? Just trying to figure out if I need to get tires with the same max PSI as the OEMs and what pressure to run in them.

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2016, 08:41 PM

Received 201 Likes on 143 Posts
2021 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by mbllama
Hi,
I have a 2014 GL 450 with 19" wheels/tires and I'm getting ready to get rid of these awful Continental OEM's which have worn out at 17k miles.

Anyone have tire recommendations for all seasons? I have noticed something weird. The OEM tires have a max PSI rating of 51. While many of the recommended from tire rack etc (ex. Michelins) have a max PSI of 44.

If I run these say in the 30's will my TPM constantly be on?

Also, I've read on several threads regarding the inside door pressure recommendations vs. the inside gas tank cover. Which recommendation are people using? Just trying to figure out if I need to get tires with the same max PSI as the OEMs and what pressure to run in them.

Thanks!
Correct one to use per user's manual is the one inside fuel filler door.
Shows 32 psi for my GL550.

Cheers,
Neurobit
Old 02-15-2016, 10:22 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
'16 GL550, '12 C350
With my GL550 (fuel filler door) recommends 32/32 psi. When I received the rig, they had the pressure set at 35/38. Ride quality was compromised (a little bit) and there was a very, very slight vibration coming from the rear on certain roads. After I corrected the tire pressure it's smooth as silk, I mean, smooooth... on the highway.

When I have a full load on the weekends, 1UP bike rack with three bikes off the back, and in the boot an electric scooter, boverboard, R/C car, helmets, three camping chairs, pop-up tent, cooler, and bags of stuff, I set the pressure to 40/45 psi.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:10 AM

2014 GL 450
Thanks for the replies. I ended up getting a set of Michelin Premier LTX's.

Got them installed at Costco and that is the last time I will get tires on any car there. I had a bit of back and forth with them the night before when I was originally supposed to get them installed. I told them to put my tires back on while I thought about it overnight. Next morning I decided to head back and get them put on and had a blow out on the way. Coincidence? I thought it was very coincidental that I had a split on the inside sidewall that was almost a perfectly straight 2".

IMO you are much better off just getting through tire rack and having your favorite local shop do it. Even if it costs 100-200 bucks more that way.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:50 PM
GL-

2016 GL450
When I wear out the OEM Continentals, I'll likely have Discount Tire put on a set of Michelin Premier LTXs. Please share your experiences with the new tires on wet, dry, snow, etc. Are they quieter or louder/is the ride better or worse than the Contis?