GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

GL/G cross shop?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G
GL/G cross shop?

It's about that time to either buy a newer model G or switch over to a GL550. Anyone own both or made the switch to a GL? My gut tells me to look for an used G550 but the GL would be the reasonal choice (both in terms of interior luxury/comfort and wallet).

We do tons of roadtrips and covering 1000 miles in half a day is normal (takes 750+miles just to get out of Texas). We also like to go off the beaten path (nothing lifted Jeep crazy) and camp out in some of the remote locations in the SW. It's not essential that we have a true offroader since that makes up a small % of overall roadtrips but knowing that you could is one of the reasons for owning the G.

The GL on the other hand would provide tons more cargo area and even provide temporary sleeping area with the seats down. I do like the diamond stitching and B&O setup.

I've started my start for a CPO GL550 with on/off road package but unable to find one with this option. Is this essential? I wouldn't take the GL too far besides backcountry dirt roads.

So any reason not to go to the GL?
Old 03-09-2016, 12:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GL350
I would imagine that the GL is a far more comfortable traveling machine than the G. The GL is more than capable for doing minor off roading and dirt trail driving to get to a camp site. Especially, if equipped with the off-road package.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:25 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
'16 GL550, '12 C350
Your needs, lifestyle sound very close to my family's. We had Land Rovers to fit the gap for a while but switched over to the GL. The main reason was space - the new gen LRs, although getting bulkier, more front and rear passenger room, have suffered quite a trunk squeeze, and we realized that brand now is more into the looks than utility, which is what they once stood for. And Mercedes is truly going to kill the full-sized Range Rover for the next gen - without a doubt!

I was very nervous about switching to the GL550 without on/off road package. We once had a LR4 and that thing was amazing off-road - but did it have 12" of clearance with the suspension lifted? Heck no... Even the new FFRR only has 10". But when I really thought about how often I really took the LRs out to more extreme off road conditions, we realized that the GL would be able to do the same without the package, more than able to get off the path and provide enough safety and agility for camping, outdoor activities, and more importantly, road trips!

In all honesty, the LRs are extremely comfortable, but long road trips suffer a little because they're almost too lofty on the highway and mountain passes will make even the best of drivers a little nervous. Our GL550 on the highway in sport mode is a true beast - autobahn machine that fits so many bills from comfort to safety, and not to mention, tons and tons of space to load it up with just about anything imaginable.

As for the G, great truck and better than any LR IMHO. But not the best roadtrip or pack-them-in vehicle and it sounds like your thinking in getting a GL is totally inline with your expectation. Our GL550 is fantastic. We've had a few issues that have disappointed me a bit, but they're getting sorted out little by little. And it's turning out to be one of the best cars we've owned and we truly enjoy everything it's offering us for our lifestyle and needs.

Last edited by Count Laszlo; 03-09-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:52 PM

G
Pack-them-in is what we did in the G.

Will have to think hard as it'll be a 5-6 year commitment once all said and done but I'm inching closer to a GL550. We also have a '15 GC Summit which could replace the G for certain trips.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:49 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
'16 GL550, '12 C350
Originally Posted by kewlaidjams

Will have to think hard as it'll be a 5-6 year commitment once all said and done but I'm inching closer to a GL550. We also have a '15 GC Summit which could replace the G for certain trips.
Awesome pic and G!!!
Old 03-10-2016, 07:05 AM
mtm

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
gl450
I think for road trips the GL is a far better choice than a G. It is much more of a tall car than it is a truck. The air suspension will keep it level when there's a lot of cargo in the back. And I think it is more than capable of taking a trail to a camp site even without the on/off road package (like Laszlo above, I came from Land Rovers, and I don't think I ever had to engage low range, so when I switched to the GL, I didn't look for the on/off road package).

What you will give up is the seating position of the G, which gives you a great view of the road. That's one thing I miss about the Land Rover - all the windows being almost at waist level!

You will also find that while on the highway the GL rides beautifully, on a dirt road it is pretty bumpy. Where the G (and Land Rovers) would float over ruts and bumps, the GL's limited suspension travel throws the body around quite a bit.

Last edited by mtm; 03-10-2016 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:28 AM

Received 201 Likes on 143 Posts
2021 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by kewlaidjams

Nice pic. Where did you get that divider/shelf?
Old 03-10-2016, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
I would get the GL over the G. Much more comfortable vehicle to drive on a daily basis. I had a GL it was great. One of close friends gas two Gs. I haven driven both on multiple occasions. I prefer the GL.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:48 AM

G
Originally Posted by Neurobit
Nice pic. Where did you get that divider/shelf?

Built it out of maple plywood and cheap project carpet.

I ended up not buying the GL, while comfortable and decked out inside, the seating position and visibility of the G was too much to give up. Now on to finding one that's CPO and somewhat affordable.
The following users liked this post:
Neurobit (03-14-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 G500
This is a great discussion. I've had an LR3 for 9 years and just picked up a GL today, but now considering to buy a G500 for myself. I love the visibility and cargo space in the LR3 and crazy to say, its been very reliable all these years. I'm hoping the same for the GL too.. Been looking at a few G500s and hope to land a deal on one soon. All 3 trucks have ample space and don't forget, you have the wide open roofs for boxes, boards, bikes and all sorts of gear...just add a ladder too...
Old 03-31-2016, 03:22 AM

G
And finally goodbye to the 2006.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GL350
Very nice! Congrats