GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Help on MB Dealer Add-ons Insurance (Key/Wheel/Glass/Paint Protection)

Old 04-25-2016, 11:32 AM

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
Help on MB Dealer Add-ons Insurance (Key/Wheel/Glass/Paint Protection)

After months of searching, I finally found the 2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG I wanted. So some of the below pricing is correlated to being an AMG, and some are not.

Note - I will be keeping this car for 5 years, so for others who keep their cars shorter, the decision might be drastically different.

I bought these items with my Mercedes-Benz and have 30 days to cancel. Can anyone provide any comments/feedback on the products and pricing? I believe I paid full retail from what I'm seeing online and may go back to negotiate or cancel:
  1. Mercedes-Benz - First Class Wheel and Tire Protection Plus (administered by Safe-Guard Products, International, LLC). Covers wheel and tire damage, including aftermarket if you get written approval first.

5 years - $1,970
  2. Simoniz Glasscoat Protection Exterior and Interior - adds a ceramic coating on the exterior paint and interior has "stain century advantage" applied. How it was explained was adding an extra clear coat and adding scotch-guard to the interior. Also comes with an insurance policy to cover paint/interior damage that is limited to certain items (acid rain, tree sap, bird waste, UV damage, hard water spots, food products, coffee, blood, vomit, etc...). I've seen online and talked to the Simoniz rep that she's seen it sold for $399 to $2,000 depending on the region/dealer.

5 years - $795
  3. Zurich Key Replacement Program - replaces lost/damaged/stolen keys. I'm going to cancel this for sure, I've never damaged or lost a key before.

5 years - $299
  4. Zurich Shield Windshield Protection - minor chips, cracks repaired. Coating added to glass to repel water/oil/ice/snow - sort of like RainX but longer lasting (no idea how long it actually lasts). Strengthens glass by up to 10x. I'll keep this, the windshield is over $1,000 for parts alone and saves me from filing a claim with my main auto insurance if anything does happen. Small chips are frequent due to the trucks in my area.

5 years - $529
  5. Zurich Paintless Dent Protection - less than 4 inches are fixed, many exclusions. I am thinking of canceling this, but not certain. After 4-5 years, I can bring it in and get all dents that meet the specifications fixed (unlimited no deductible) for "free". This might be so bad as one is $150/each around, so if I have 3 or more dents after 4-5 years, I should break even or come out ahead. Then again, even after a few years, I typically don't have many dents at all, if any. Thoughts?

5 years - $399
  6. Mercedes-Benz Financial Services First Class Guaranteed Auto Protection - pays difference between Actual Cash Value and Outstanding Balance, maximum amount financed must not exceed 150% of MSRP/NADA. Waives up to $1,000 insurance deductible and up to $100,000 maximum GAP.

Life of loan - $695

Last edited by Chedman13; 04-30-2016 at 10:54 PM. Reason: added GAP information
Old 04-25-2016, 12:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 - GL 550
Originally Posted by Chedman13
After months of searching, I finally found the 2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG I wanted. So some of the below pricing is correlated to being an AMG, and some are not.

Note - I will be keeping this car for 5 years, so for others who keep their cars shorter, the decision might be drastically different.

I bought these items with my Mercedes-Benz and have 30 days to cancel. Can anyone provide any comments/feedback on the products and pricing? I believe I paid full retail from what I'm seeing online and may go back to negotiate or cancel:
  1. Mercedes-Benz - First Class Wheel and Tire Protection Plus (administered by Safe-Guard Products, International, LLC). Covers wheel and tire damage, including aftermarket if you get written approval first.

5 years - $1,970
  2. Simoniz Glasscoat Protection Exterior and Interior - adds a ceramic coating on the exterior paint and interior has "stain century advantage" applied. How it was explained was adding an extra clear coat and adding scotch-guard to the interior. Also comes with an insurance policy to cover paint/interior damage that is limited to certain items (acid rain, tree sap, bird waste, UV damage, hard water spots, food products, coffee, blood, vomit, etc...). I've seen online and talked to the Simoniz rep that she's seen it sold for $399 to $2,000 depending on the region/dealer.

5 years - $795
  3. Zurich Key Replacement Program - replaces lost/damaged/stolen keys. I'm going to cancel this for sure, I've never damaged or lost a key before.

5 years - $299
  4. Zurich Shield Windshield Protection - minor chips, cracks repaired. Coating added to glass to repel water/oil/ice/snow - sort of like RainX but longer lasting (no idea how long it actually lasts). Strengthens glass by up to 10x. I'll keep this, the windshield is over $1,000 for parts alone and saves me from filing a claim with my main auto insurance if anything does happen. Small chips are frequent due to the trucks in my area.

5 years - $529
  5. Zurich Paintless Dent Protection - less than 4 inches are fixed, many exclusions. I am thinking of canceling this, but not certain. After 4-5 years, I can bring it in and get all dents that meet the specifications fixed (unlimited no deductible) for "free". This might be so bad as one is $150/each around, so if I have 3 or more dents after 4-5 years, I should break even or come out ahead. Then again, even after a few years, I typically don't have many dents at all, if any. Thoughts?

5 years - $399
All the above depends how and where you drive. New York \ New Jersey Tire & Wheel protection is recommended again there could be other states too with bad Road, but if you drive sober its a waste I bought 2 times in last 10 years and didn't even used it once, so this time I went against it and felt happy.

So point 1 is on your discretion only and point 5 is better to have it because one dent and you gotta find PDR guys and then headache to deal with them, if you have this plan you know where to go and as its a dealership the panel removed\installed will be done professionally less chances of having other parts broken, the price sounds reasonable but you can always negotiate.

And rest all is BS if you really need the RICH Mans polish of Simoniz better spend on Opti-Coat or on Modesta or to over rule both go with Xpel Paint Protection film, that would take you long way.

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Chedman13 (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 01:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Almost all are "dealer profit enhancement" products.

Check with your insurance company or any aftermarket service program. You can usually get more for less by skipping the extra step of giving your dealer profit.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:23 PM

Thanks for the comments.

I'm leaning towards keeping the Simoniz, the way I see it is that it's about $200/$250 for that type of detail work for a car (about 5 hours they say), so the remaining $600 or so goes towards insurance. I would agree it's typically a waste to insure this vs. self-insure, but my situation is the kids ride in the back and will probably do a number on the seats and the soft Designo leather can't be cheap.

I am waiting to hear back if they will cover my aftermarket wheels with non-factory tire specs, if so, I'll probably keep it.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:45 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
GLC300 (GL350-gone)
Wow, huge profit margin on that. Write me offline about wheel tire, maybe.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by mustbebenz
Wow, huge profit margin on that. Write me offline about wheel tire, maybe.
Okay - just sent you a PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:21 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
'16 GL550, '12 C350
I think everything offered is a complete waste of money, accept the wheel protection warranty. My wife got this on her C350 Sport, and although she's not a curb-rasher prone driver, it has happened three-times, and each time Mercedes didn't just do a poor job on the rash repair, the wheel is sent off to a professional shop, and being AMG rims, the results are absolutely stunning!! So I highly recommend this even if you're good at not hitting the curb. And having it done correctly, is the key to success on that warranty.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:50 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2002 C4 Cab, 2014 Audi A5 cab, 2017 X5 35d
Just say NOOOOOO! You are lining the dealer's pockets! Every one of these items is HUGE profit to the dealer. Every time I buy a car and sit down with the finance person to settle up, I start the conversation with "Let's get to the chase.......I'm not interested in any of the ad-on's". Here's my check.....please give me the keys! Finance guys are incentivized to sell these profit makers.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I love stuff like this..... "Just say NOOOOOO! You are lining the dealer's pockets! Every one of these items is HUGE profit to the dealer."

Frankly in a couple of area's - when you buy a new or Certified Mercedes - you can do a bit more research on Glass Protection and Wheel/Tire:

1) Glass protection - best to know what your current auto insurance covers and does not cover - in many cases, owner's are surprised on what their auto policy does not cover with glass - or are surprised at the deductible on windshield replacment - in this case added policy might be prudent

2) Wheel/tire - it's best to know what the dealer offered policy covers and does not cover - in the case of sidewall punctures, where tires must be replaced and cannot be repaired - or in the case of wheels that have "brushed" as part of their finish - tire replacement and/or wheel replacement can be "value" issues.

3) "light color interiors" - this can be a sensitive area - especially since many indigo/fashion jeans have non-set dark dye - subject to rub interior off - and interior programs offered must be understood preferably in black/white for that specific issue

I am not trying to "sell" anything here - either way - I am just pointing out on some of the bigger potential repair issues - like glass - tires - wheels - it should require a bit more thinking thru - to make best decision.
Chedman13 (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Audi A8L 4.0t, 2012 GL450
My two cents.... Insurance is almost by definition a "sucker's bet". Knowing that, you should really only insure against big losses you cannot afford to "self insure" for. It may feel good to have that insurance when you get a nail in a tire and save yourself $250, but over the long haul, the average person will pay more in insurance premiums than they will save in tire repairs (or key replacements, or windshield fixes, etc). If that weren't the case, insurers wouldn't offer the insurance... or would price it higher until the premiums covered the aggregate risk plus a profit margin.

It absolutely makes sense to pool risk and insure for big potential losses (collision / liability for your car, hazard insurance on your house, personal liability insurance, etc), but for the smaller stuff, you're better off self insuring and saving the premiums.

Say no to all that stuff.
Chedman13 (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 03:27 PM

Feedback is excellent - this will be helpful for others who run into this.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:14 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
GLC300 (GL350-gone)
If the original poster wants some of these coverages for his own peace of mind, I can support that. I can't support the ripoffs on this pricing. The reputable discount sellers of extended warranty and CPO plans at legit MB dealers probably can sell you some equivalent coverages for non-rip off pricing. Jeff Jackson at Tafel MB is one I used for CPO, try him. He, like Fab above, would merely guide you and not gouge you.
Also I know for a fact that third party administered wheel tire damage coverage not with cosmetic aspect costs dealers less than 1/5 your price.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:39 PM

Wheel and Tire damage, thinking of keeping only if I can get aftermarket wheels and tires covered - I hear back from Safe-Guard (administrator of insurance) in the next couple days if I can get written approval. Even then I'm still on the fence (HRE wheels are $2,500 each, Brabus wheels are $3,400 each and specific tires are $750 each). Even with the high cost of the wheels and tires, I'm still not sure what I will do as I've never cracked a wheel. Nails in tires and flats, yes. I've seen some post that they canceled their policy and they saw the $2,000 policy actually had the dealer cost listed on the cancellation note - which was $1,000, so 2x mark up.

Not sure if MB First Class is the only one that covers aftermarket wheels with no limits (so Brabus and HRE's would be covered).

Anyone know if this really is $1,000 dealer cost for an AMG vehicle that comes stock with 21" wheels? $1,000 to me to if it covers aftermarket is a no brainer to do it. $2,000, on the fence.

Exterior/Interior - an actual professional would cost $150 to do, so $645 is for insurance or extra dealer profit. What is getting me here, is with the kids that ride in this daily, slightly increases I come out ahead of the interior insurance. The designo leather is very soft and can see it being harder to clean and maintain. The other half is convenience of dropping it off at the MB dealer, getting a loaner, and be done with the exterior/interior detail.

Windshield - keeping this one, front glass with night vision and all the goodies, is MSRP over a grand. I do get chips every once in a while so nice to have that done at MB. The biggest benefit is not having to file a claim with insurance so my rate doesn't go up. I'd pay out of pocket anyway to avoid filing a claim. And I just read my contract - this is the ONLY one out of all of them that cannot be canceled!

Key - already canceled.

PDR - on a black car, I might keep this. What's a better price for this vs. $399? (besides those that are going to say free...)

Originally Posted by mustbebenz
If the original poster wants some of these coverages for his own peace of mind, I can support that. I can't support the ripoffs on this pricing. The reputable discount sellers of extended warranty and CPO plans at legit MB dealers probably can sell you some equivalent coverages for non-rip off pricing. Jeff Jackson at Tafel MB is one I used for CPO, try him. He, like Fab above, would merely guide you and not gouge you.
Also I know for a fact that third party administered wheel tire damage coverage not with cosmetic aspect costs dealers less than 1/5 your price.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Comprehensive claims, such as for windsheilds DO NOT raise your insurance rate.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:57 AM
GL-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GL450
Originally Posted by N_Jay
Comprehensive claims, such as for windsheilds DO NOT raise your insurance rate.
...and depending on where you live and your insurance company, they may have separate glass coverage with its own deductible. In Colorado where they "sand" the roads with gravel, replacing a windshield can be an almost annual occurrence. Many times I've plunked down my $99 and the rest was covered. No increase in rates as a result.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:22 PM

True but it can impact rate tier eligibility, therefore potentially impacting your rate. Differs by insurance company.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
If your MB dealer is telling your MB 1st Class Wheel/Tire covers non-MB wheels - frankly I would re-check that. Not that they are incorrect - frankly my store(s) for liability/customer satisfaction we consciously choose not to foray into dealer-installed-aftermarket wheels..

Yes - I have seen GL550/63 wheels "crack" in the center section - especially HRE - this size/steel wheel is not "hard forged" like some ultra-perf-sedan wheels...

Tires - with 21's you have lower sidewall profile - yes, subject to sidewall puncture as compared to smaller diameter SUV tire.

Glass - depending on your assessment of your auto insurance coverage for glass - frankly on "new" Euro glass - chip repair about 90%of the time will pop-out after a cool-cold/temp-swing - once filled, and once pop'd back out - unrepairable so there becomes the rub - and yes, new windshield is pricey - your choice - the "treatment" stuff is nonsense.

Interior - with Designo MB interior coverage not exactly great - since jean transfer and/or scratch/puncture damage up to replacement not clearly covered - PermaPlate added coverage I judge a bit more comprehensive - have no exerience with "Simoniz" brand - you need to rear exact coverage on stains to judge that coverage - since coverage is specific to specifric stain/material - and read clause on other damage/scratch-puncture - Designo does not "feel" as good when resprayed.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:51 PM

What about First Class Guaranteed Auto Protection (GAP) through Mercedes-Benz Financial Services? I want the coverage, but more questioning the price: $695.00.

I paid $299 through EasyCare Gold previously at another MB Dealership. At this dealership I was offered MB's GAP which was significantly more expensive (or just marked up more).

I can cancel my MB GAP, but not sure where else I can pick up GAP. Many auto insurers offer this, but mine does not (only on new vehicles). Not sure if you can buy stand-alone GAP.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:05 PM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
For wheels and tire, I personally self insure. Only broke even once and that was on an Acura MDX where they replaced both rear tires. I run Blizzaks on all my cars in the winter and on each new car since the MDX (Honda, Mercedes, & BMW) I always ask if they can put in writing coverage for aftermarket wheels and/or tires. Finance guys were only able to give verbal confirmation, not written, so I pass. With that, ask or read to find out what is the determining factor as to if they would repair a wheel or replace it.

For the glass coverage, here in Mass, it is state mandated as part of your auto insurance policy. Of course the insurance co would like to repair a small crack or replace w/ aftermarket glass. You just have to make a phone call or 2 and insist on "OE" glass, not merely "OEM".

The interior/exterior protection I also skip on. This car came in w/ a lighter interior color than what we were told so the dealer had us bring it back to have the Resist-All applied. We all know a good detail shop takes about 5-6 hrs. Applying this stuff took maybe an hour. In my mind, that alone says it all. So you're paying for the insurance part of it. And believe me, going back to have the seats cleaned every so often does get to be annoying. Lexol works great.

Last edited by skw; 12-22-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
GAP - if you have bought-financed and at that time you felt GAP was a smart choice for you - no need to double-think yourself over a couple $100 on your new rig...
Old 05-02-2016, 04:43 PM

Lessons learned. I canceled everything and self-insured everything except the GAP, in which I will negotiate $299 next time vs. $695.

I hope others find this thread useful. I won't comment on CPO ELW and Pre-paid, as there are many threads on that. Long-story short is CPO ELW and ELW are negotiable, Pre-paid maintenance, not really (tax savings alone is worth it).
Old 08-07-2017, 04:41 PM

2017 glc43 AMG
Hi Folks, new to this board. Bought a new glc43amg, and all the bells and stuff on exteneded warranty items. Had a small nick in rear bumper paint that was on car before delivery, found next day by dealer. I bought the first class protection plan at $3400 which I though kind of would help with most stuff? Nope, met. Pearl White paint I am told can not be touched up, only option from dealer is resray rear bumper, not under warrenty? Claims all cars with this paind are not covered for any paint problems, but once repaited warrenty is no good? Trying to get a refund on warrenty for never used it. Anyone out there had any like problems with MB? I know I got swindled by dealers Business guy who sold me this, didn't even give me any paperwork as to what and is covered only word of mouth. I found the plan on line...Thanks in advance. xgunr2017
Old 08-07-2017, 04:45 PM

I think 30 days or 60 days you can get a full refund.

Better to self-insure.

Nice pick-up btw.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:11 PM

Benz C300
wrong thread.

Last edited by darylrsv4; 12-23-2017 at 04:25 AM.