GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Really need the community's advice on steering noise...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 01:09 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
'16 GL550, '12 C350
Really need the community's advice on steering noise...

I'm sure some of you have seen my thread regarding an odd clunk noise coming from the steering when you turn the wheel back and forth. I've taken it to the dealership again last week and they said they were able to reproduce the noise on 4-like vehicles and there is no fix and it's completely normal.

I have to take their word for it because their a great dealership and very kind people. And maybe it is normal and the reasons why I haven't gotten a lot of responses from the community.

But I'm reaching out to the community again because there are a lot of X166 owners out there - and all I'm asking is for a few minutes of your time to check your X166s. A case manager reached out to me from MBUSA and I really don't want to waste their time and chase something that is normal.

Symptom Use Case: '16 GL550 w/8,000 miles.

After the truck is warmed up and driven for 5- to 10-miles, when you're either at a stop light/sign or stationery, or you can put the truck into park, just turn the steering wheel back-and-forth and see if you hear any noise like a clunk from the steering. Do you hear a clunk at all?

Here's what mine sounds like:

Any help would be appreciated. If it's normal I'm totally okay with it. Just want to make sure it is, and not have a steering/safety issue on my hands.

Last edited by Count Laszlo; 06-06-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:53 PM
mtm

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts
gl450
Mine definitely has it. The sound is very faint and seems to be coming from the steering column, maybe a u-joint in the column. It is more obvious without power steering when the engine is off.

Last edited by mtm; 06-06-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:02 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
'16 GL550, '12 C350
Thank you very much, MTM... That makes me feel a thousand times better!! It must have something to do with all the safety wizardry within the steering mechanicals and all those moving components.