GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Are the headlights really sucks on a US Spec X166?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 03:06 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Own 2005 CLK500, but drive 2011 Sienna :)
Originally Posted by StasB
Thanks for such quick reply, I think it might be the stock bulbs because in these headlights there are no reflectors in the lens itself, the lens and movement mechanism for the lens controls the direction and spread of the beam which is why I think that the stock bulb might be too dim for this set up (maybe for US regulation purposes, idk). I was looking for any recommendations for the best bulbs (high end led/or bi-xenon) if someone tried replacing the stock set. Mine has almost 40k and I'm pretty contempt with it except for the poor illumination at night but I think it's fixable)) anyhow, I would apreciate any advice, thanks in advance
Every single headlight has a reflector, regardless it is lensed or non-lensed headlight. Without a reflector you won't see much light at all
But since the reflector is behind the lens - you cannot see it.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Mercedes Benz GL550
my mistake the lense does come with reflector inside but what I meant to say is that I don't believe it has a complex shape, it's function is only to direct the light towards the lense and in turn lens does all the beam spreading and directing. Of course, I'm not an expert so can be easily mistaken so correct me if I'm wrong
Old 07-28-2017, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 213 Likes on 168 Posts
2012 Volt - 2005 E55 - 2011 G55 - 2013 GL63
Once I pick up my GL in about 7-10 days I plan to do a number of mods to the headlights. 2 of the 4 mods will be done to improve headlight performance. I will be swapping the lens with a clear lens instead of the stock fresnel lens, using the ZKW-R lens ($40) I used in my E55. I will also be using the latest and "greatest" DS1 bulb from Osram, the CBH ($225). Bulbs should be similar is color of the LED on GLS but also improve performance. Both can be sourced from theretrofitsource.com

I plan to take before pics, side/side, and final. So I will make a thread once I start this up.

I will also be adding a LED switchback sequential strip to replace the stock amber running and turn signal strip. Will look like the Euro lights and the new GLS. Lastly I will see about removing the amber reflector to make them clear and just add a LED amber bulb or leave it out, just depends.
The following 2 users liked this post by black06c230:
StasB (07-29-2017), wilburh1 (10-03-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 12:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Mercedes Benz GL550
Thanks for the info on bulbs! I will def order them from the source you mentioned and check if it helps to alleviate the problem. I don't think I will try swapping the lens for now just cause I don't feel comfortable opening up the headlight assembly but it would be nice to see if the lens is indeed at fault for overall poor performance, I hope the bulb will be a quick fix))
Old 08-22-2017, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
335Xi
One thing that seems to be off on some of the German cars is that the headlights are aimed far too high. This disperses the light too much and it isn't very bright in front of you. BMW's have this issue. I re-aimed my BMW and the difference was very dramatic. Driving my wife's GL450 with xenon it seems like my BMW when it was stock. I am going to try adjusting hers are some point to see if it helps also. It might be worth a shot for others having issues and before you spend money on bulbs.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:53 PM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
GL and ML350 Bluetec
What height are you recommending when the light is shown against a wall or garage and at what distance?

If I lower mine then I may lose deer finding disbursement lighting for my drives at dusk or dark on back roads, and I like to have eyes up and forward when driving to help straighten out corners/curves.

Originally Posted by jet_fl
One thing that seems to be off on some of the German cars is that the headlights are aimed far too high. This disperses the light too much and it isn't very bright in front of you. BMW's have this issue. I re-aimed my BMW and the difference was very dramatic. Driving my wife's GL450 with xenon it seems like my BMW when it was stock. I am going to try adjusting hers are some point to see if it helps also. It might be worth a shot for others having issues and before you spend money on bulbs.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:19 PM

ML 350 Bluetec
I have the bi-xenon's and they are aimed pretty well from the factory. Most other (non-German) cars are aimed to low.
I like to see where I am going not where I already am.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:26 PM

335Xi
Originally Posted by DC-BENZ
What height are you recommending when the light is shown against a wall or garage and at what distance?

If I lower mine then I may lose deer finding disbursement lighting for my drives at dusk or dark on back roads, and I like to have eyes up and forward when driving to help straighten out corners/curves.
A good rule of thumb is to park 10' from your garage door. Measure the top of the light beam right at the headlight, then adjust so it is 1" lower at the garage door. The angle of the driveway needs to be a constant angle, but does not have to be level.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:01 PM

2013 GL450
Originally Posted by jet_fl
I have the intelligent headlights, and I think the aiming is spot on. You are on to something about the light being dispersed right in front. However I think that's because of the height of driving the SUV, it takes away some of the fore-lighting you might get from say a car or some LED setups.

However I think where you get your money's worth is the throw (distance) these lights have, and the consistent, even beam pattern. High beams are fantastic too. Every car I've been next to on the road with high end LED, they have way more fore-lighting, but not nearly enough range. LEDs also seem to washout more easily in dark, wet conditions too.

S
Old 09-22-2017, 01:51 AM

2018 GLS450
Originally Posted by maximase86
I have the intelligent headlights, and I think the aiming is spot on. You are on to something about the light being dispersed right in front. However I think that's because of the height of driving the SUV, it takes away some of the fore-lighting you might get from say a car or some LED setups.

However I think where you get your money's worth is the throw (distance) these lights have, and the consistent, even beam pattern. High beams are fantastic too. Every car I've been next to on the road with high end LED, they have way more fore-lighting, but not nearly enough range. LEDs also seem to washout more easily in dark, wet conditions too.

S
Thanks for all the headlight info. I have a 2014 GL 350 blue tech and a 2015 GLK 250 blue tech both with the intelligent active system and they are pretty good. The only thing I don't like is on the GL they did not include the cornering lights like they did on the GLK. I am getting the LED active lighting system in my 2018 GLS 450 I pick up next week. Will be interesting to see what those are like!
Old 10-03-2017, 12:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 GLE350 4Matic
I installed the Osram D1S cool blue and they are amazing, literally night & day difference. Highly recommend. Install took less than 10 minutes total in my 13 GL350. I purchased here for 170$

https://www.hidconcept.com/products/...2.html#reviews