MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GL Class (X166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x166-173/)
-   -   2015 GL450 Turbo noise (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x166/653049-2015-gl450-turbo-noise.html)

gurkeerat sidhu 02-13-2017 04:10 PM

2015 GL450 Turbo noise

I own 2015 GL450 and recently I started hearing the turbo noise from the driver side. I took it to the dealer and he replaced the turbo to the exhaust (under warranty), but still it's giving out some amount of annoying sound although little less than before. I talked to the dealers mechanic and his answer was that this is normal in all GL starting from 2015 since they replaced v8 with v6 Biturbo. But honestly the noise is very irritating. Anyone experiencing the same?

hasim syed 05-21-2017 02:22 AM

Having same issue

I went to dealer two times and his answer was this is normal. it is s7ch a worse noise that i dint feel its benz but any worse quality car. i owned 2013 gl450 , it didnot had this issue. mercedes ppl are very iresponsive they are not fixing issue even after i went multiple times. i think we need to go for lemon law.

gurkeerat sidhu 05-22-2017 11:37 AM

There is a workaround that I use to keep the noise off by using the paddle shifters instead of gas peddle when accelerating and off course don't push the gas peddle too much.
Do you know anyone else having this issue? I'm not sure how to deal with this.

novae500 05-24-2017 12:47 PM

i just picked up a 14 GL 550 i will check next time i drive if i hear the noise. is it bearing like noise?

gurkeerat sidhu 05-24-2017 01:12 PM

It's a turbo to the exhaust noise and it's only on 2015 onwards as per Mercedes.

Mr MMG 05-25-2017 05:05 AM

Is this turbo noise issue specific to the newer V6 engine in the GL450 since the GL550 has the older V8 motor?

gurkeerat sidhu 05-25-2017 12:56 PM

yes it is since the V6 uses 2 turbos.

getmercd 05-25-2017 01:08 PM

What kind of noise is it? Squeak, rattle, clunk, etc.

gurkeerat sidhu 05-25-2017 01:41 PM

It's kind of metal rattle noise, also sounds like leaking muffler from the driver side engine compartment, happens when turbo gets engaged. Very audible on the highway when you give a little extra push.

Cha777 05-31-2017 08:30 PM

Same Problem

I pointed this same noise problem to my dealership 1 year ago. They said common noise with turbo wastegates and updated some software With no resolution. Fast forward to last week when there is hesitation in acceleration that we noticed a few days before service B. Now all of a sudden the turbo needs to be replaced and we're without a car for 2 weeks. I don't think an $80k Mercedes should be making normal rattling sounds...am I expecting too much?

Kwanghyun Song 11-14-2017 10:22 PM

Hi, I am very new to MB. I purchased 2016 GL450 4 months ago and hear the same rattling noise. I brought it to a dealership and heard that this noise exists in other 2016 GL450, so this sounds normal.
It is annoying me a lot and I don't feel comfortable at all. It sounds getting more noticeable. Please share any information regarding this.

toodre 06-28-2018 09:27 AM

Have you ever figured the issue? I am having the same problem. They took the car in, and heard it, and ended up replacing the catalic converter. However the issue persist. They did tell me that the noise is normal for this vehicle.

Kwanghyun Song 06-28-2018 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by toodre (Post 7490035)
Have you ever figured the issue? I am having the same problem. They took the car in, and heard it, and ended up replacing the catalic converter. However the issue persist. They did tell me that the noise is normal for this vehicle.

Hi, I brought my vehicle in to a dealer again. Shop foreman and another tech recognized noise, but could not locate it. We plan to test drive other GL450 if the vehicle has the same noise or not.
I think noise occurs when the gear is about to change to the next higher gear which is more pronounced around 2000 rpm, but is various upon gear.
Thank you for sharing your experience.

SteveE400 06-28-2018 03:54 PM

I think that those who attributed the noise to the turbo waste-gates are correct. This is a common "issue" with the modern turbocharged engines. My E400 also has this "rattle" but I have never worried about it. The car runs fine, and mine only rattles for a few seconds under certain throttle conditions. If it was a constant noise, then I would be expecting the dealer to find a remedy.

Of course, my E400 has so many other "mechanical" sounds and noises that I have stopped worrying and just enjoy driving it!

toodre 06-28-2018 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by SteveE400 (Post 7490368)
I think that those who attributed the noise to the turbo waste-gates are correct. This is a common "issue" with the modern turbocharged engines. My E400 also has this "rattle" but I have never worried about it. The car runs fine, and mine only rattles for a few seconds under certain throttle conditions. If it was a constant noise, then I would be expecting the dealer to find a remedy.

Of course, my E400 has so many other "mechanical" sounds and noises that I have stopped worrying and just enjoy driving it!

I drove another one and the noise was similar. It tends to diminish as the car warms up. Very predominant in the AM or when cold. Let me know how your drive goes. If I have the windows up, I do not really hear. Trying to get used to it, but in a $40k car it is hard to believe this is a normal things.

tony.damore 07-01-2018 12:41 AM

If you hear it at higher rpms only please check the automatic trans fluid, my 2015 GL450 4matic was exhibiting a whining sound at higher RPM and heavy load, took it in and the dealer found the transmission to be 3.5 qts low. Problem solved

drauch86 05-14-2019 05:58 AM

Did anyone get this fixed? I know the dealership says it's normal, but I drove a 2019 GLS450 with the exact same configuration as my 2017 for about 200 miles, and there was no noise the entire time I was driving. There has to be a replacement part that fixes this sound.

pryz007 05-14-2019 09:45 AM

I have a 2015 GL450 with 18,000 miles on it. I have not noticed any noises like the posts are saying. Was driving on the interstate this past weekend and didn't notice anything peculiar while accelerating.

DaveW68 05-15-2019 06:49 PM

Stop by the dealer and test drive a used 2015 or 2016 GL450 and see if it has the same noise as you do under identical conditions. If not, then you know you have something that can be addressed by the service dept.

Glen13 05-16-2019 11:15 AM

I am on my 2nd 2015 GL450, thanks to someone running a stop sign and totaling the first one. Only owned the first one for about 2 months and I have test driven at least 4 other ones in my replacement parts search. I think I know the noise you are referring too. I typically only heard it when there are obstacles near by to reflect the noise and the windows are down. I thought it sounded strange on the first one, but didn't get a chance to take to the dealer. The second one is the exact same way and all the ones I drove. I don't really hear it when the windows are up. It's only when the windows are down and there is something close to the road to reflect the noise back. It's strange, but normal. The ones I have driven are all 36k to 55k miles.

drauch86 05-21-2019 01:29 PM

I mounted a GoPro near the driver's side exhaust to show the sound. You can start to hear it around the 5 second mark, and it gets progressively louder. I also mounted it under the hood next to the turbo since the dealer said it was the wastegate, but the sound wasn't nearly as noticeable. I went to a different dealership today and the lead mechanic said it was normal and when people first started reporting the sound they changed out the turbos, but that didn't fix the issue. Hard to imagine that these vehicles would be shipped with this annoying noise.

GLS450 Acceleration Noise

gurkeerat sidhu 01-09-2020 11:08 PM

Guys there are 2 recalls and one of them is regarding the turbo chargers. The Mercedes is replacing both the turbos, the driver and passenger side, I have got mine done yesterday. I do see quite a difference in the noise, although I can still here it but it's much less noisy. I will continue to monitor it.
Perform Campaig# 2019080019
# 201897004
The dealer said only 60 vehicles are affected by this, surprising!
Call your dealer and see if your vehicles have these recalls.

Hamidlogari 02-28-2020 07:05 PM

2015 GL 450

I have a 2015 GL 450, and I am experiencing a noise when I am driving and when window is down I hear a sound specially when there’s a wall on the right side I can hear it more. The sound looks like a leaking noise or I feel like my car struggling. It is very annoying. I thought my car turbo is not working. I check the water reserve for turbo it was cold after driving for a 30 minutes. Do you guys know if your water reserve is cold after driving.