GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Adding a Entertainment system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450 2014
Adding a Entertainment system

Looking for advice in adding a entertainment system to our new to us; 2014 GL 450. The window sticker says it has entertainment system pre-wiring. What is a good route to go? The local shop will install "their" system, but I would like to hear if there is a better choice. Thank you
Old 02-25-2017, 10:27 PM

Received 111 Likes on 93 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
Installing a factory one will run you around $4k. It's nice integrated with the front command system, but for the money I bet the aftermarket has more features.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,105 Likes on 810 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Frankly.. in today's day-in-age - I have gran parents who on occasion got for it - actually a few more parents go for it as "punishment".. really.

MB "accessory" rear entertainment - wired to each seatback - listen thru headphones - DVD source on either side can be played on both sides if you want - cannot play thru system speakers .

MB "factory" or "full" rear seat entertainment - middle console DVD source in rear - front COMAND DVD source - rear or front can be played to both side - each one side or another - headphones or can be played thru system speakers.

Now... to play DVD's a Audiovox plug-n-play system - each system has it's own DVD - DVD runs on each side separately - cannot be played from front COMAND but can be played thru speakers using FM transmitter... can pull them out and use outside the car... get a 3yr Fair Trade warranty ..

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-26-2017, 09:43 AM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
2014 GL450
A cheaper alternative.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EMHXWBU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ran 2 of these on a trip but ended up returning them as I didn't know how to permanently have them powered. Was using the 12V adapters and one of them kept burning the fuse when connected to a cigarette light adapter splitter.

I know folks recommend simply giving younger kids iPad but still you need to get movies on the iPad. How? I'm not about to buy tons of movies just for a trip. DVDs are cheap or free and I've tons of those or can borrow from the library. Unless you already have a data plan from T-MOBILE allowing you to binge-on, otherwise DVD is better. During the trip, the kids can just swap out/in DVDs and they were ok with it. Now, Netflix also allows for offline viewing. So I suppose with Amazon Prime Video offline and Netflix offline, it won't be so bad.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:14 PM

Received 111 Likes on 93 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
I did think the iPad route - get nice iPad mounts, plus two iPads, plus 2 bluetooth headphones. Then buy tons of movies, even a data package and you're still under $4k.

But I just still like the OEM factory solution and would do it again. Also, much harder to steal.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gls450
Rear seat entertainment

Does the pre wire give you the opportunity to install the factory type entertainment system on a 2017 GLS ?