GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Michelin Premier LTX question

Old 05-24-2017, 02:22 PM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
2014 GL450
Michelin Premier LTX question

Hi,
When searching for tires on the Michelin site or Costco Tire, the Michelin LTX (275/50/20) does not show up as the recommended tire at all. I know a few members have bought this tire.

For a couple of months, this tire was not available from Costco and finally when I checked today, it is available when I search based on size (will still take a few days to ship/deliver to my local warehouse).

Should I get this tire despite it not showing up when searching by vehicle model on various tires website?? I don't tow anything.

Thanks
Old 05-24-2017, 11:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 GL350
I am very happy with this tire. I have also towed a trailer twice at 1,000 mes each time.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:40 PM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
GL and ML350 Bluetec
Coscto had a $70 off and free install sale on those 2 weeks ago I believe the total was $907 out the door for 20".
Old 05-25-2017, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 GL450
I am happy with my LTXs as well. No problems with them at all.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:04 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2002 C4 Cab, 2014 Audi A5 cab, 2017 X5 35d
Excellent tire. Replaced the OEM Pirelli's @ 33,000 miles and have driven 10,000 miles on the Michelins with zero complaints. Discount Tire had them for a few dollars less than Costco.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 GL450
Is Costco any good in mounting the tires? Can they reliably adjust the air pressure monitors? Would you trust them to do an alignment or do they?
Old 05-26-2017, 11:06 PM

2014 GL450
Costco will have the $70 off plus another $30 MIR is paid for by the Citi Costco Visa card starting first week of June based on the recent coupon book.

I guess I will buy it this time.

When I was looking about a month back, they didn't have these in stock. The deal back then was $70 off and $1 installation I believe for Executive members.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:42 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
GLC300 (GL350-gone)
Discount tire direct.com, the website only and not the stores, has the memorial day savings event going on. I just bought a set of these for my girlfriend's Volvo. In addition to the deal I worked out with the selling agent, this being the third tire set I bought this week including for some employees, I got $160 worth of rebates.
If you look at the test results from tire rack.com, and you have to read those results between the lines because they try not to offend all the tire makers they deal with, they wrote that this tire set a new standard for wet and winter conditions and overall performance for crossover vehicles.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:08 AM

2014 GL450
So I finally got it from Costco. With tax (6%), rebate etc. factored it, it cost $963.88. Would have been better if I was able to take advantage of it when there was a free install but during that time, the tire wasn't available.

It would have been roughly $60 less bring it to the price DC-Benz mentioned above.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:53 PM

2013 GL450
Hmm how is this compared to continental DWS06 in all categories?
Old 12-13-2017, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GL350
I'm looking for an all around decent all season tire that has good traction and treadlife. I don't need a summer or performance tire so the Premier LTX looks like a good fit for me. Tire Rack has them but says that the max PSI of the tire is too low for the GL. The GL wants 47PSI but these are max 44PSI. I'm no expert on tires but I don't see the issue. My thought is the PSI of the tire must be suffient such that the weight of the vehicle and the load doesn't deform the tires. I also understand that the load rating of the tire decreases with insufficient air pressure.... but if a tire is rated at 2271lbs and the max inflation is 44PSI, then it should be sufficient for the GL at 44PSI because the load rating is greater than the (GAVR / 2).

Perhaps I'm missing something but I want to be sure because I do tow a 6000lb trailer with the GL350.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:38 PM

GLC300 (GL350-gone)
You should not run 47 PSI in your GL tires. That is not the recommended pressure, it's too high. There's much discussion on this forum about tire pressure, and the car has several different recommended specifications on different places. There's the door placard required by federal law inside the driver's door which has crazy numbers on it if I recall, and those numbers disagree with the placard inside the fuel filler flap. Those inside the fuel filler flap look more like one expects tire pressures to run, to some extent. In truth, the right pressure is probably somewhere in the middle. I, for one, inflate my tires to 35 or 36 cold PSI depending on which tire it is, my Winters or my three seasons. Remember that you lose at least one PSI for each 10 degree drop in temperature outside, it's good to check tires on a regular basis.
A tire does not run at its Max inflation pressure, that is simply the most pressure the manufacturer recommends for that tire as a safe upper limit. The car manufacturer then tests tires on its own vehicles and comes up with a rating that balances fuel efficiency, tire wear, performance and ride comfort. Too much air pressure will negatively affect some if not all of those, just as will too little air. You can tune it yourself within reason.
Each tire carries its own load rating, it's a three digit number followed by a letter for the speed rating. Something like 111V. These numbers correspond to a classification for weight-bearing, and that also reflects on the sidewall in pounds as you noted. As long as you have at least if not higher than the same load rating as the factory tires and you keep the tires properly inflated for the amounts of load the car is carrying or towing, according to the tire placard in the fuel filler flap, the tire should well exceed the amount of weight you need to carry. You take the total capacity of each tire and add it up, and the total gross vehicle weight fully laden should not exceed that.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:25 PM

2013 GL350
Agree with above explanation. Very thorough. I ran into discrepancy on decals and talked to MB and Michelin tire dealer. While not as extensive as above, end result was run the lower pressures. I have about 20k on my LTX’s without any issues. That includes 2 1,000 mile trips hauling a trailer. Not sure of the weight I pulled, but trailer called for 6,000 lb towing capability.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 BMW X5 35d, 2011 VW Tiguan
Originally Posted by Jpkcpa
Agree with above explanation. Very thorough. I ran into discrepancy on decals and talked to MB and Michelin tire dealer. While not as extensive as above, end result was run the lower pressures. I have about 20k on my LTX’s without any issues. That includes 2 1,000 mile trips hauling a trailer. Not sure of the weight I pulled, but trailer called for 6,000 lb towing capability.
I have Premier LTX on X5 during warm months (I have now Michelin Latitude XI2 for winter) and they are really good.
But, my friend at Discount Tires says that they are wearing faster then expected. It became known issue across the board.
They are bit soft for X5 suspension, there is definite feeling that suspension can do much more then tire (I think they are great fit for GL or GLS) but one thing I really like about LTX is superb wet grip. If I had GL I would definitely go after LTX although they might last bit shorter then some comparable tire.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 GL450
I have these tires on my 2013 GL450. It was out on end of May 2016 and now it's Dec 2017. I also had winter tires on during the winter months. Within the mentioned time frame, I put on about 20,000 miles. My tires are worn. I called up Michelin yesterday and filed a claim. I have to bring the tires in for the installer to look at and they will call up Michelin to see what credit they can offer me for the next set of tires. I thought these are supposed to last 50-70K miles or 6 years?
Old 12-15-2017, 01:57 PM

2014 GL350
The numerical ratings on tire rack for the LTXs are very good... but the reviews tell a story similar to what I’m hearing here. People with just a few k miles on the tires are very happy with them. People with 20k or more miles complain of poor tread life. Very disappointing. I will keep searching for that reasonably priced, long treadlife non-winter tire.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:00 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
MB GL450
I just replaced my tires about 2 months ago with LTX. The ride is very smooth compared to OEM tires. Performance in wet conditions is very good
Just had my first experience with these in some icy conditions. I didn't experience any wheel-spin while starting from stand still but braking performance is very poor on icy roads. ABS kicks in way sooner than I ever remember, compared to my Suburban. The Suburban was running bridgestone dueler h/l alenza plus and it was fantastic tire. Unfortunately it is not available in this size
Also LTX tire tread starts at 8/32 while most other tires start at 11/32. Not sure why this is but could explain short tread life. I intend to rotate my tires at recommended mileage and if they don't last at least for 40k miles I'll be calling Michelin and filing a pre mature wear claim against the tread-wear warranty
Old 12-15-2017, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by BoboPFunk
The numerical ratings on tire rack for the LTXs are very good... but the reviews tell a story similar to what I’m hearing here. People with just a few k miles on the tires are very happy with them. People with 20k or more miles complain of poor tread life. Very disappointing. I will keep searching for that reasonably priced, long treadlife non-winter tire.
LTX is soft tire. There is so much silica in it, I have no idea how Michelin rated them 60k.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:18 AM

S320 GL350
Here's my two cents. I too "dislike" the high cost of our GL tires (either continental cross contact UHP or Pirelli Scorpions) as I have the AMG package with 295-40-21 tires and have started my research early. Seems the best deal is one that comes with an entire extra set of rims with nearly new tires for the same price as just tires (Pirellis are $595 here and the Continentals are about the same).

As to Michelin LTX I am on my second set on the 2001 Silverado LT 1500 HD crew cab. I replaced the first set after they got old and weather checked on the side walls but still had a lot of tread life left (wear like iron) - they hauled our 23 foot trailer through gravelled mountain forestry trunk roads and up and down the highway. Their appeal is their relatively affordable cost and availability at COSTCO, and their Michelin's good name.

When it comes to the GL I think its weight has a lot to do with scrubbing off tread especially when we drive "sportily" - my old R class only ever had Michelin Latitudes or Continental 4x4s as they were "MO" tires (Mercedes Original) as originally recommended by MB. As a result I'm not going to mess with this winning formula which has never seen me with a flat in all my "tire" experience. Oh - and my S class (the '95 S320) just got a new set of Michelin Premiers (225 60 16) after the original equipment Michelin "Energy" MX tires were discontinued just last year. They too had tread life left but the rubber was so old /hard that the car slid down the ice covered driveway when parked!
Old 12-19-2017, 11:05 AM

2014 GL350
I have a GL350. We don’t drive it in a sporting way. It is a family truckster and I don’t need sport tires for it. I want it to be safe but I also don’t wanna to have to replace the tires every 1.5 to 2 years.

I just bought a set of winter tires and rims. I had the same battle trying to find normal, non performance winter tires for it. I may be able to get another summer out of the Bridgestone Duelers on it now but those tires are scary in the snow. When it comes time to replace the non-winter tires, I’m going to look heavily at 275/55/20. From what I see here on the forums, they should fit and the tire options are plentiful.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:52 PM

GLC300 (GL350-gone)
Even though a bit off topic, for the winter tire comment in the prior post an alternate size is to go - 1 to a 19in rim. From there, you have the option of taking a further - step in the tire size to a 255 60 19. More options, with the bonus of much less cost. I just got a set of Blizzak dmv2. When you buy from Discount Tire Direct during their big sales, you can get rebates up to $160 on a set. Just keep your eye on the load rating for the tire you're purchasing, match it up to at least or greater than the standard tire you're replacing.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:01 PM

2018 GLS550
Originally Posted by rosswell
Seems the best deal is one that comes with an entire extra set of rims with nearly new tires for the same price as just tires (Pirellis are $595 here and the Continentals are about the same).
Where did you find that deal you mentioned?
Old 12-19-2017, 10:04 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
MB GL450
For those of you changing the tire size from stock, are you getting you Speedo re programmed? The speed is going to be off depending on what the actual diameter end up being along with Odo
Old 12-20-2017, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by mustbebenz
Even though a bit off topic, for the winter tire comment in the prior post an alternate size is to go - 1 to a 19in rim. From there, you have the option of taking a further - step in the tire size to a 255 60 19. More options, with the bonus of much less cost. I just got a set of Blizzak dmv2. When you buy from Discount Tire Direct during their big sales, you can get rebates up to $160 on a set. Just keep your eye on the load rating for the tire you're purchasing, match it up to at least or greater than the standard tire you're replacing.
How does it feel on 255/60 R19? For example smallest tire on X5 that BMW recommends in 255/55 R18. Bu in some cases and extreme winter condition it allows 235/60 R18. I drove once friend's BMW that had winter tires 235/60 R18 and car was really "under tired." So how GL feels on it? I am firm believer that in snow narrower is best.
Also, I had for two winters DM-V2 and must say they were disappointing. They go thru snow like razor, but ice performance is very strange, to put it this way. Tire holds road like nuts and then without any progressive loss of traction it looses traction on icy road. Then it is really hard to return them to desired direction.
I probably had 40 models of winter tires and DM-V2 was one of those that I do not have desire to own again. This winter I went with Michelin latitude Xi2.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:38 PM

GLC300 (GL350-gone)
Originally Posted by MBQureshi
For those of you changing the tire size from stock, are you getting you Speedo re programmed? The speed is going to be off depending on what the actual diameter end up being along with Odo
you just need to understand Tire sizing better. It's the overall diameter and the revolutions per mile that matter to the speedometer. You don't need to have it programmed. Instead you maintain relative similar overall rolling diameter. Google up a tire size comparison calculator. If you put in 275 50 20 and 255 60 19, you see they are very close in overall size despite the differences. Anything within 3% is considered pretty much the same.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Michelin Premier LTX question