GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Keyless Go not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 09:50 AM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
2014 GL450
NolaGL550, is your original factory warranty expired? You said it was a 2013 GL550 with a 3rd party extended warranty. Original factory warranty is 4/50. Maybe you are lucky and the vehicle was placed in service on Aug 2013
Old 08-02-2017, 10:51 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 GL550 and 2015 GL63 AMG
Originally Posted by davidjohnbamber
I would try contacting M-B USA to discuss your "engine rattle on start up issues". Myself, I would consider this repair to be N/C!
I would consider the issue to be no cost too! I just hope it goes that way when the repair quote is available. I may contact MB if I cannot get it covered by a TB, recall, or campaign.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by jlim
NolaGL550, is your original factory warranty expired? You said it was a 2013 GL550 with a 3rd party extended warranty. Original factory warranty is 4/50. Maybe you are lucky and the vehicle was placed in service on Aug 2013
Had to buy a 3rd party warranty because the vehicle had 72,000 miles at time of purchase. It was also put into lease service in July of 2013 by the original dealership.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:53 PM

So, my freaking Endurance Warranty is worthless. The dealership called them to authorize the repairs, and wouldn't you know it, they rejected everything. So, after having the vehicle for two days, the local MB dealer found a faulty Keyless Go controller, failing timing chain tensioners and check valves, leaking rear shocks, and rear pads very low on material (less than 3mm). Are you sitting down for the total cost? $6450 in parts and labor. I'm going to call the Endurance folks tomorrow to get in writing the reasons why at least the timing chain tensioners are not covered, since the warranty packet clearly states that internally lubricated parts are covered. So, this purchase is turning out to be a bad idea. It's likely I'll just have the dealership replace and reprogram the Keyless Go controller, change the oil (to meet the warranty's requirement in the first 5000 miles after purchase), and let me have it back after that. I'm going to take it back to the indy shop to have the timing chain issues resolved, then I'm doing the rear pads/rotors and rear shocks myself. Wish me luck! I sure hope this thread helps someone out in MB land that can learn from my mistake.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:42 AM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
2014 GL450
Well, hopefully you can at least get a refund on the extended warranty. I'm sure that's at least $3-$4k if not more. Considering you prob save more than $5k not buying as CPO, these additional cost is prob a wash if compared to buying CPO.

Not knowledgeable in aftermarket 3rd party warranty, but Keyless entry, brakes and leaking shocks doesn't seem like items that are covered. I doubt even a CPO warranty will cover the leaking shocks.

From this link, it says shocks absorbers/suspension struts are excluded. For sure worn brakes are not covered. Keyless entry should be covered I hope.

http://extendedlimitedwarranty.merce...rage-documents

So you are left with the big item which is the chain tensioners. Maybe look at this thread..

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...e-request.html

Perhaps MB will goodwill this repair
Old 09-10-2017, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E550
Mercedes Keyless Go Problem- 2014 E550 W212

Hello,

Recently purchased a 2014 - E550 20,000miles and have been please with the car overall.

After about 2 months & 2500 miles of driving I noticed the car would not start after I locked the doors with the FOB button. No matter what I would do the car would not recognize the key to start. Wife was in the car watching this and I could see the face that said "Im never driving this thing!" So I got out of the car pressed the lock/unlock on the FOB outside the car, got back in and the button worked again.

1 month later now same deal, used the FOB button randomly while it was raining. Came back to the car, doors wont open and the car wont start keyless.

3 days, many phone calls and lots of BS theories from the MB dealer. Told I should deal with it as its an RF frequency problem, no fix. Then another service contact tells me to change the FOB battery and put the key in the ignition. If that didnt work they would have to "update the software" what ever that means!

At that point I decided to take on the problem myself by disconnecting the main battery. Doing so took a 10mm socket and a minute of my time. Sure enough the system is working now and has been for a week now. No thanks to the folks at Mercedes.

If disconnecting the battery doesnt work then you woulld need to replace the Keyless-Go MODULE located in the trunk on the W212. The module sits below the rear deck speakers inside a long plastic case that houses the keyless go module along with wiring and other components. There is a plastic door that opens revealing the module.

Good old "the best or nothing" when it works!

Thanks,
Sean

Tri-State Turbocharger, LLC
80 Greenwood Avenue #5
Midland Park, NJ 07431
1-888-292-7001 Main
1-201-857-0555 Local
1-877-882-9433 Fax
Old 09-27-2017, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by NolaGL550
So, my freaking Endurance Warranty is worthless. The dealership called them to authorize the repairs, and wouldn't you know it, they rejected everything. So, after having the vehicle for two days, the local MB dealer found a faulty Keyless Go controller, failing timing chain tensioners and check valves, leaking rear shocks, and rear pads very low on material (less than 3mm). Are you sitting down for the total cost? $6450 in parts and labor. I'm going to call the Endurance folks tomorrow to get in writing the reasons why at least the timing chain tensioners are not covered, since the warranty packet clearly states that internally lubricated parts are covered. So, this purchase is turning out to be a bad idea. It's likely I'll just have the dealership replace and reprogram the Keyless Go controller, change the oil (to meet the warranty's requirement in the first 5000 miles after purchase), and let me have it back after that. I'm going to take it back to the indy shop to have the timing chain issues resolved, then I'm doing the rear pads/rotors and rear shocks myself. Wish me luck! I sure hope this thread helps someone out in MB land that can learn from my mistake.
Post Repair Update: So, I had the MB dealer replace the Keyless Go control unit and perform the oil/filter change to be in compliance with the warranty. Keyless Go is functioning perfectly now and I can enter the car with the key FOB in my pocket, and start the car with just the push button. Of course, this repair to the control unit wasn't covered under my extended 3rd party warranty. I'll be cancelling that warranty today since I am well aware that they won't cover anything that's not a total breakdown of mechanical items. They sold me that it was the same as a bumper-to-bumper warranty, but I was lied to. Next up is the fix to replace both timing chain tensioners and add check valves to improve oiling. The MB dealer quoted me $1650 for this repair, but I'm trying to use bulletin "LI05.1o-P-056435 JUL13 – 276, 278 and 157 engines rattling noise after start for several seconds, install check valves/replace left & right secondary chain tensioners" to get them to at least eat some of the cost. I doubt it will be taken care of for no cost. I'm hoping the independent shop I took it to yesterday will come back with a cheaper quote since it's simply taking off the timing covers, installing a check valve in the oiling port, removing two bolts each to replace the tensioners, cleaning up the gasket surface, applying sealant, and buttoning up the covers. Cannot believe they charge that much for $600 in parts plus labor. Guess the MB dealer is thinking this is a 4.0 hr job at $300 per hour!
The following users liked this post:
Freddy Camacho (02-28-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 05:11 PM

2011 GL450
Post Repair Update: So, I had the MB dealer replace the Keyless Go control unit and perform the oil/filter change to be in compliance with the warranty. Keyless Go is functioning perfectly now and I can enter the car with the key FOB in my pocket, and start the car with just the push button. Of course, this repair to the control unit wasn't covered under my extended 3rd party warranty. I'll be cancelling that warranty today since I am well aware that they won't cover anything that's not a total breakdown of mechanical items. They sold me that it was the same as a bumper-to-bumper warranty, but I was lied to. Next up is the fix to replace both timing chain tensioners and add check valves to improve oiling. The MB dealer quoted me $1650 for this repair, but I'm trying to use bulletin "LI05.1o-P-056435 JUL13 – 276, 278 and 157 engines rattling noise after start for several seconds, install check valves/replace left & right secondary chain tensioners" to get them to at least eat some of the cost. I doubt it will be taken care of for no cost. I'm hoping the independent shop I took it to yesterday will come back with a cheaper quote since it's simply taking off the timing covers, installing a check valve in the oiling port, removing two bolts each to replace the tensioners, cleaning up the gasket surface, applying sealant, and buttoning up the covers. Cannot believe they charge that much for $600 in parts plus labor. Guess the MB dealer is thinking this is a 4.0 hr job at $300 per hour!
I have a situation as well with my Keyless control module, however, I am looking in replacing it my self. My question to you is, do you know if the dealership had to do any especial paring or reprogramming of the module to work with your keys again?
Thanks
Old 07-04-2020, 01:12 PM

2012 MB c300
I have a 2012 c300

Bought a 2013 GL550 with many features, including Keyless Go. However, I have noticed that neither of my two keys will allow me to unlock or lock the vehicle doors with the FOB in my pocket. I also cannot use the push button start feature with either FOB in the vehicle or my pocket. I've changed both CR2025 batteries in each FOB but that did not solve the issue. Both FOBs work to unlock and lock the vehicle by pushing the buttons, as well as open the rear hatch. Also, they work in the ignition port to start the vehicle. I have noticed that each has the little red light flash once when I push a button on the FOB, indicating they are operating. I tried the trick of using my phone camera to see the IR light flash when pushing a button, but didn't see any light from the very front of the FOBs. I'm hoping the vehicle I just bought doesn't have an issue that already is going to cost money to fix. Anyone have this issue that can provide some helpful advice? Thanks in advance!
i have the same exact problem that you had with your keyless go, can I know how did you fix that issue. Thanks a lot
Old 07-16-2020, 05:06 AM

E-250 W212 Premium amg sport
Sean,
I have a keyless go problem and may have to change the module. I'm confused about your comment where you believed the module is located. My E-250 W212 has the module mounted on the left trunk wall. The unit you mentioned in between the speakers IMO has no keyless go function.