GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Dull engine noise on GL350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL350
Dull engine noise on GL350

Recently i've been hearing a weird dull noise from underneath the vehicle. The nice and quiet diesel "rattle" is no longer there and instead I hear a gasoline like V6 engine with a burnt out exhaust pipe. It is kind of loud almost to the point that it causes noise vibration. When it happens, its from 0 on low RPM until the turbo kicks in and then the engines seems to sound normal. Today it happened again and once I got out there was an odd smell from the driver side wheel/engine area.

I've made a short video. It can be briefly heard at 0:07 and 0:28

Has anyone experienced the same issue?
Old 10-14-2017, 01:57 PM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
GL and ML350 Bluetec
The 3 diesel issues cause us to be hypochondriacs.

Originally Posted by limiteddi
Recently i've been hearing a weird dull noise from underneath the vehicle. The nice and quiet diesel "rattle" is no longer there and instead I hear a gasoline like V6 engine with a burnt out exhaust pipe. It is kind of loud almost to the point that it causes noise vibration. When it happens, its from 0 on low RPM until the turbo kicks in and then the engines seems to sound normal. Today it happened again and once I got out there was an odd smell from the driver side wheel/engine area.

I've made a short video. It can be briefly heard at 0:07 and 0:28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G5BGByTZVU

Has anyone experienced the same issue?
Old 02-21-2018, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL350
Folks has anyone experienced this? This is happening more frequently now but not when I take it to shop. I noticed transmission begins to jerk badly when the sound changes.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 X166 (GL500)
Originally Posted by limiteddi
Folks has anyone experienced this? This is happening more frequently now but not when I take it to shop. I noticed transmission begins to jerk badly when the sound changes.
https://procarreviews.com/dpf-problems/

I had same symptoms when driving a lot in a city. I think you need to floor it more and maybe go to highway, that helped me.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by Teemu
https://procarreviews.com/dpf-problems/

I had same symptoms when driving a lot in a city. I think you need to floor it more and maybe go to highway, that helped me.
Can't we just remove the DPF like the older diesels and just forget about it? lol

Short trips? Heck, so if you don't drive it far every time you drive, that can harm it too? What a joke.