GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Some questions about GL 450

Old 12-05-2017, 12:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 BMW X5 35d, 2011 VW Tiguan
Some questions about GL 450

Hey guys,

I just registered on this forum.
I was looking some info regarding GL450 (2014 and up) and while there is a lot of information, I could not find yet what really interest me.
I am currently driving 2013 BMW X5 35d. While it is superb driving machine that handles better then half of "sports" cars and is just pure joy to carve curves considering size, I am expecting our family to grow. Also, while diesel is very frugal, SCR system is constantly making issues, and I just do not want to deal with various emission sensors anymore (although it is still under warranty ). Considering MB and BMW developed together with BOSCH SCR system, I am not interested in GL 350 regardless the fact that absent SCR, that would be my first option.
I am DIY guy. I change oils, brake fluid, rotors, pads, and other stuff and if I need something more complicated to be done, I have great indy mechanic.
Anyway, I need bigger car, with real three rows. We do a lot of long trips. And I do plan to keep car for long period of time. I am done with diesel, and I like drivers vehicles. I am not into appliance cars such as Toyota. I ski a lot (twice a week) so need good AWD (I like to ski during blizzards) as well as good torque and turbo (altitude).
So, while I understand that people like gadgets that is not my thing. I have never turned GPS in BMW, but I would like HK in car since I like good sound.
What I want to know is fallowing, and I appreciate any info:
1. Comparing 3.0 V6 bi-turbo to V8 bi-turbo, what would be real world MPG difference?
2. Anyone finds V6 underpowered?
3. This is very important: are there any known mechanical or electric issues that plague this vehicle?
4. Those of you that owned V8 and now V6, is there substantial difference?
5. What would be real world MPG in V8 and what would be in V6?
6. I know 7G needs service between 45-55k. Is there known issue or that is normal preventive maintenance (that is fine, I did that on X5 at 63k).

Thank you guys for answers! Probably there is somewhere info I need, but I am Googling for last several days, and did not find anything useful.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:13 AM
mtm

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
gl450
Welcome to the forum!

Have you test driven the GL? If not, I think you may find that it handles very different from the X5 - it's softer, smoother, and lacks that precision feel of the BMW. GL550 with active cornering and adaptive dampening likely feels a lot better.

My 2013 GL450 averages 13.5-14.5 MPG.

I've driven the newer V6 GL and I wouldn't call it underpowered, but mine definitely feels a lot more effortless when it comes to acceleration, especially at speed.

Not sure of the known issues, but the issues I've experienced with mine are: rear seats heater was erratic and had to be replaced, rear driver's side door soft close mechanism had to be replaced, front and rear passenger doors had the locking mechanisms replaced because they failed to lock, chain tensioner was replaced with a new version and oil check valves were installed per TSB (cold start chain rattle issue).

Transmission service - I think it was just the fluid change.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:27 AM

Thanx for replying.
I am not expecting to drive like BMW. E70 that I have is particularly direct vehicle. That being said, GL is still much better then average family hauler.
I need vehicle with bigger trunk, real third row and power. Practicality wise, new VW Atlas is amazing vehicle, but grossly underpowered.
I would assume MB changed tensioner as part of recall?
Also, that mpg, mostly city or combined?
As for transmission, that is what I referred to. In BMW I changed filter too. Not sure of procedure in GL.

Last edited by EdyCol; 12-05-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:21 AM
mtm

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
gl450
GL definitely has power and trunk space. Third row is good too. There was no recall for the tensioner - I had to complain to the service dept about the cold start rattle and actually refer them to the TSB as they didn't know about it. After that, yes, it was covered by MB. The car was still under warranty though, not sure how this would have been handled past warranty period.

Yes, MPG is mostly city/suburbs with weekend highway mixed in.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:55 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
MB GL450
I have a 2015 GL450 with V6. It never seems under powered at any speed. Stomp on it from stand still and it takes off. While I was looking for the GLs I test drove bunch of 2014 (v8) and I didn't feel a difference between the 8 and the 6. My typical MPG is 19.6 city hwy mixed and between 22.4 to 23.6 highway only (on longer trips)
Old 12-05-2017, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by MBQureshi
I have a 2015 GL450 with V6. It never seems under powered at any speed. Stomp on it from stand still and it takes off. While I was looking for the GLs I test drove bunch of 2014 (v8) and I didn't feel a difference between the 8 and the 6. My typical MPG is 19.6 city hwy mixed and between 22.4 to 23.6 highway only (on longer trips)
thanx a lot! That is encouraging mpg and power info.
Any issues?
Old 12-05-2017, 08:33 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
MB GL450
Minor issues
Center arms rest latch broke -- fixed under warranty
360 camera experienced blackout twice.Command software update
Occasional rough shift from park to first or park to reverse. Fixed by software update
Major Issue
Front suspension knocking noise. Both front struts replaced

I have the door creaking issue (seems to be common) will have the dealer look at it next service visit. Probably needs the door aligned
OE tires only lasted for 25k miles
Despite of the above issues I do love the truck
Old 12-06-2017, 02:13 AM

Minor issues
Center arms rest latch broke -- fixed under warranty
360 camera experienced blackout twice.Command software update
Occasional rough shift from park to first or park to reverse. Fixed by software update
Major Issue
Front suspension knocking noise. Both front struts replaced

I have the door creaking issue (seems to be common) will have the dealer look at it next service visit. Probably needs the door aligned
OE tires only lasted for 25k miles
Despite of the above issues I do love the truck
That is nothing. Try owning a diesel. Always some issue with SCR system.
I bought X5 with 36K in October 2015, and these were issues:
1. Metering valve (injects DEF into exhaust).
2. Active DEF tank.
3. Passive DEF tank
4. Exhaust pressure sensor on low pressure turbine (maybe $50 part).
5. EGR
6. EGR pressure converter

Next week I need to change back pressure sensor on DPF and again metering valve.
Other then emission issues:
AC evaporator (BMW claims it was evaporator, I think the did not want to clean drip lines. Who cares, it was CPO).
Front driveshaft recalled.

Those are only two non emission related issues on BMW in since 36k, and I am at 82k.
If I owned 35i, probably I would keep car, but this emission garbage is making me look another car, and since I will probably expand family for at least one more member, and since we travel long distances, I want something bigger then X5, but still European made
As for tires, 25k is OK. I do not like long lasting tires as performance is usually bad in wet.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:25 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 GLS 450
Originally Posted by EdyCol
That is nothing. Try owning a diesel. Always some issue with SCR system.
I bought X5 with 36K in October 2015, and these were issues:
1. Metering valve (injects DEF into exhaust).
2. Active DEF tank.
3. Passive DEF tank
4. Exhaust pressure sensor on low pressure turbine (maybe $50 part).
5. EGR
6. EGR pressure converter

Next week I need to change back pressure sensor on DPF and again metering valve.
Other then emission issues:
AC evaporator (BMW claims it was evaporator, I think the did not want to clean drip lines. Who cares, it was CPO).
Front driveshaft recalled.

Those are only two non emission related issues on BMW in since 36k, and I am at 82k.
If I owned 35i, probably I would keep car, but this emission garbage is making me look another car, and since I will probably expand family for at least one more member, and since we travel long distances, I want something bigger then X5, but still European made
As for tires, 25k is OK. I do not like long lasting tires as performance is usually bad in wet.
I always tell people that used BMW's are more likely to cost them money in repair than used Mercedes, it's not the same quality but it could be worse....
Old 12-06-2017, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Strafzettel
I always tell people that used BMW's are more likely to cost them money in repair than used Mercedes, it's not the same quality but it could be worse.... https://youtu.be/FvJCCoLoKRA
All these issues I had are present in Mercedes diesel since system is exactly same. Actually, serial numbers on parts are same. It is just nature of the beast. Mercedes and BMW developed together with BOSCH SCR system to cut cost. Other then SCR, car is great. In such larg SUV like GL diesel engine is better option, but I know what issues I had on BMW I will have on Bluetec. If I had purchased gas version with inline six I would probably keep it regardless that it is relatively small. But then, no SUV drives like BMW.

Last edited by EdyCol; 12-06-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:25 AM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
GL and ML350 Bluetec
I only had the DEF tank replaced (DEF heater) and oil cooler replaced on my 164 Bluetec. Oil leaked at ~85k and the DEF was replaced at 105k. But I'm curious to see how my X166 Bluetec does.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by DC-BENZ
I only had the DEF tank replaced (DEF heater) and oil cooler replaced on my 164 Bluetec. Oil leaked at ~85k and the DEF was replaced at 105k. But I'm curious to see how my X166 Bluetec does.
Yep, DEF heater in my case too. Does yours have two tanks? On X5 there is passive tank too (i think originally vehicle was never designed for SCR, so they had to put two tanks to store enough DEF). On passive tank problem is sensor that measures level. DIY fix is to put $5 radio shack resistor and it will always show full but one needs to refill more often just in case. On active tank heater is 4-5hrs DIY job to replace heater but one has to buy heater for VW Touareg since BMW doesn’t sell just heater (same system on VW too). If Bluetec had different SCR I would get that no doubt. Other then SCR, engine and tranny on X5 are bulletproof and that thing moves fast .
Old 12-07-2017, 11:27 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
GL 320, 993TT, BMW 550XI
Believe the SCR system is jointly developed with Mercedes, BMW and VW. People have replaced parts of the SCR system with Audi/VW parts around here to save money due to Mercedes selling a contained unit only instead of the actual broken part.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by chsu74
Believe the SCR system is jointly developed with Mercedes, BMW and VW. People have replaced parts of the SCR system with Audi/VW parts around here to save money due to Mercedes selling a contained unit only instead of the actual broken part.
Yep, same thing with BMW. They only sell whole unit. Activ tank is $2400 and it fails due to that heater. Heater alone for Touareg is $206.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:16 PM

GL and ML350 Bluetec
Yep, I've seen that but you need to splice wires. Spicing is easy enough but I opted to by the part for $1000 shipped and replaced it in less than an hour. I still have the other tank in the garage for spare parts the next time it fails. I really need to just sell my ML since it just sits in the garage with less than 15k miles on a new fuel pump, DEF tank, and Oil Cooler but I doubt Carmax would see that as a plus.

Originally Posted by chsu74
Old 12-07-2017, 08:17 PM

GL and ML350 Bluetec
There is a place online that will send you a new heater for like $400 plus your core.

Originally Posted by EdyCol
Yep, same thing with BMW. They only sell whole unit. Activ tank is $2400 and it fails due to that heater. Heater alone for Touareg is $206.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by DC-BENZ
There is a place online that will send you a new heater for like $400 plus your core.
yeah, xmodex or something. They are Canadian company. I do not worry to much about it. I am at 82k with bimmer and BMW extended warranty to 120k. I make 25-30k a year mostly because I ski twice a week. But this winter is ridiculously dry here in Colorado and I have CPO until 01/2019 plus 120k warranty on DEF tank and NOx sensors. Hell I might waith a bit and get used GLS450 not GL. By that time I should have one more kid and bimmer will become tight for long distances.
Thanx guys for input. Keep writing if you have anything to add.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:30 AM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2013 GL450
as a recent (about 4 months) 2013 GL450 owner (from a stretch of 4 bimmers) ... happy, not ecstatic, but happy ...

- Power: no reference of other other SUV, but referenced only to most recent bimmer 750Lxi ... there is sufficient power here ... as one can expect from a boxy higher elevated and softer air suspension, acceleration is not the same as a sports sedan, but well well sufficient for a full-sized SUV, what is impressive is that at cruising speed, especially on interstate, I often don't realize I'm doing 80mph ... engine is smooth ... and in the city, power is well sufficient, even when I have 5 passenger ... since then, I've only had one driving experience with 7 ... sufficient power ...

- MPG: love that I have a ~26 gallon tank, but mileage is as expected for a V8 ... city is about 14-16mpg ... highway/interestate is about 19-21 mpg

- 3rd row seating: it's almost always up, even though I'm a single person household, love that the rear cargo is just large enough for groceries and small items not to fly around in the cargo area ... it is noticeable more roomy than my brother's 3rd row Acura MDX, but not as roomy as say a Suburban ...

- technology: disappointing, but tolerable ... my 2010 bimmer had more ... display screen NOT nearly high def, barely passable as 420dpi (don't really know the specs), processor speed should be faster ... 360 camera is cool and convenient, but virtually worthless at night, my cell phone camera has better resolution, brightness, and clarity .... that fact that my low beams, front signals, rear fog, breaks, and reverse lights are halogen is just insulting for the tiger end SUV ... the command center for system/car info is disappointing, seriously, I have to use a dipstick to check my oil level??? ... the front and rear park sensors (not camera) are not adjustable in terms of volume, especially rear ... love the BMW BIG on dash display and volume .... interior storage compartment is annoyingly disappointing ... seriously do you not learn from the Americans and Japanese ??? so many many places you could've added extra storage bins and boxes ... don't even have the bump out for a bottle of water in the car door storage compartments ... switched out all my interior lighting incandescent bulbs for LEDs and love how "blinding" ... LOL my interior is ... yet, for the rear cargo area, only one light on the left side, but none on the left, below the headrest ??? come on ...

- CPO: replaced front stabilizer bar
- Love Love Love my 3 rows of panoramic sunroof, but seriously no third row shade???
- Noise level besides the interior body panel creeping, is very tolerable, not as much tunneling and road and engine noise as I might have expected ...
- When suspension, wheels, and all that stuff are in order, ride is comfortable and stable, probably not as "stiff" as you might expect from say bimmer, but I feel safe and comfortable, I don't have a sports mode option so just the standard, but I might be slightly more happy if the road feel was just a tad stiffer.

Overall, really do enjoy my car ... hope this gives you some insights ....
Old 12-08-2017, 04:17 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
Owned a 2015 V6 Gl450 for 3 years now, bought it new, and I would say exactly the same.

With a proper set of snow tires, the truck is phenomenal in the snow. Blasted thru a blizzard last year, unplowed roads, upstate PA, without a hiccup.

Excluding a trip to body for fender bender, truck has never seen the inside of a dealership for work.... 36k miles as of today.

Admittedly I'm a hard driver, but truck has needed new brakes and getting ready for a 3rd set of new tires before 40k miles. So, don't expect much more than 15-18k miles from tires on this truck.

Last edited by Mike450; 12-08-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:41 PM

GL and ML350 Bluetec
Wow, that's pretty good city gas mileage. My Bluetec is getting 19-20 mpg in stop and go.

Getting our first snow within hours and I'm having to go out in it.

Originally Posted by vivaitalia
as a recent (about 4 months) 2013 GL450 owner (from a stretch of 4 bimmers) ... happy, not ecstatic, but happy ...

- Power: no reference of other other SUV, but referenced only to most recent bimmer 750Lxi ... there is sufficient power here ... as one can expect from a boxy higher elevated and softer air suspension, acceleration is not the same as a sports sedan, but well well sufficient for a full-sized SUV, what is impressive is that at cruising speed, especially on interstate, I often don't realize I'm doing 80mph ... engine is smooth ... and in the city, power is well sufficient, even when I have 5 passenger ... since then, I've only had one driving experience with 7 ... sufficient power ...

- MPG: love that I have a ~26 gallon tank, but mileage is as expected for a V8 ... city is about 14-16mpg ... highway/interestate is about 19-21 mpg

- 3rd row seating: it's almost always up, even though I'm a single person household, love that the rear cargo is just large enough for groceries and small items not to fly around in the cargo area ... it is noticeable more roomy than my brother's 3rd row Acura MDX, but not as roomy as say a Suburban ...

- technology: disappointing, but tolerable ... my 2010 bimmer had more ... display screen NOT nearly high def, barely passable as 420dpi (don't really know the specs), processor speed should be faster ... 360 camera is cool and convenient, but virtually worthless at night, my cell phone camera has better resolution, brightness, and clarity .... that fact that my low beams, front signals, rear fog, breaks, and reverse lights are halogen is just insulting for the tiger end SUV ... the command center for system/car info is disappointing, seriously, I have to use a dipstick to check my oil level??? ... the front and rear park sensors (not camera) are not adjustable in terms of volume, especially rear ... love the BMW BIG on dash display and volume .... interior storage compartment is annoyingly disappointing ... seriously do you not learn from the Americans and Japanese ??? so many many places you could've added extra storage bins and boxes ... don't even have the bump out for a bottle of water in the car door storage compartments ... switched out all my interior lighting incandescent bulbs for LEDs and love how "blinding" ... LOL my interior is ... yet, for the rear cargo area, only one light on the left side, but none on the left, below the headrest ??? come on ...

- Love Love Love my 3 rows of panoramic sunroof, but seriously no third row shade???
- Noise level besides the interior body panel creeping, is very tolerable, not as much tunneling and road and engine noise as I might have expected ...
- When suspension, wheels, and all that stuff are in order, ride is comfortable and stable, probably not as "stiff" as you might expect from say bimmer, but I feel safe and comfortable, I don't have a sports mode option so just the standard, but I might be slightly more happy if the road feel was just a tad stiffer.

Last edited by DC-BENZ; 12-08-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by vivaitalia

There is no doubt iDrive in BMW is best in business. However, I could not care less. I actually never turned on GPS (I still have map in back of passenger seat). I do care about sound system though, but screen etc, totally irrelevant to me as long as I can see info about mpg etc.
As for oil dipstick, GREAT! I actually was looking at photos of GL 450, 550 and noticed on V8 that oil dipstick is sticking out. Now, when I was buying X5, one of the reasons (beside monstrous torque) to get diesel is the fact it has oil dipstick unlike gas versions. I am one of those people that every Sunday check oil level and lick oil dipstick to check viscosity (joking). For me that is such a big deal that when I was looking at photos of GL 450 with V6 engine I could not see clearly dipstick, so I was thinking MB went away with t. I saw one in local Carmax here and went to check whether engine has dipstick. Luckily MB left dipstick in the engine. Also, love that it has oil temperature gauge standard. Would be good if it had coolant temperature gauge.
That is great info on MPG. I travel a lot and it is good that none of the engines feel underpowered (well did not expect that from V8). I am not expecting GL would be as stiff as BMW, but it is still European vehicle and for expanding family that does long road trips I think looks as best option.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mike450
Owned a 2015 V6 Gl450 for 3 years now, bought it new, and I would say exactly the same.

With a proper set of snow tires, the truck is phenomenal in the snow. Blasted thru a blizzard last year, unplowed roads, upstate PA, without a hiccup.

Excluding a trip to body for fender bender, truck has never seen the inside of a dealership for work.... 36k miles as of today.

Admittedly I'm a hard driver, but truck has needed new brakes and getting ready for a 3rd set of new tires before 40k miles. So, don't expect much more than 15-18k miles from tires on this truck.
Thanx for info. Of course, snow tires are mandatory. I am originally from Bosnia, and overthere snow tires are mandatory between November 15th and April 15th, so I grew up driving on them and I know what difference they make. I am one of those people that would take FWD car with snow tires always before AWD car with all seasons.
I am expecting that brakes will be an issue considering size. I am DIY in that compartment and already checked prices of pads for GL by manufacturers like Textar, Pagid, ATE and they are in the ball park with X5 as well as rotors. No issues there.
As for tires, not sure is it vehicle or tire? I generally do not like long lasting tires as usually that means lot of plastic in compound. However, third set at 40K does seem excessive and since I am hard driver that might be bit of bummer.
Considering you are hard driver, what mpg you getting?
Old 12-09-2017, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Did I miss the part of this thread where you have driven you're BMW'r diesel (which is about as Road-Less-Traveled choice as someone who buys a Volvo) to a Mercedes dealer since you have gotten answer after answer to your ongoing questions - so that you can share your deeper driving impressions of both the GL450 and GLS450 for us ?
Old 12-09-2017, 06:06 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
I posted my on board evic pic a few weeks back here, I beleieve I am averaging 15mpg's over the past 15k miles. Ill check again to be sure, but pic is in a thread on tnis forum somewhere.

My driving is 95% suburban stop and go, light to light traffic. Road trips, fully loaded, 5 people, 20mpg's.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Did I miss the part of this thread where you have driven you're BMW'r diesel (which is about as Road-Less-Traveled choice as someone who buys a Volvo) to a Mercedes dealer since you have gotten answer after answer to your ongoing questions - so that you can share your deeper driving impressions of both the GL450 and GLS450 for us ?
How is BMW X5 road-less choice? Do not understand? If I did not have a kid I would be driving M235i with stick and hit 2000 mile trip. It is great long trip vehicle: good mpg, good power, no SUV cannot keep up in curves and a lot of cars, however, for expanding family it is bit of a problem. From standpoint of space, yes, trunk is limited compare to GL. Dynamic wise, nothing comes close except Porsche.
As for trying GL450, I had my 16 month son with me and was not in the mood to take child seat out of bimmer and put in GL. I need to do that one day I am alone. I will try both 450 and 550 and see.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Some questions about GL 450