GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

GL350 Cold Weather No Start. Gelled fuel? (+Video)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GL350
GL350 Cold Weather No Start. Gelled fuel? (+Video)

It was down below 0F last night and is still around 10F during the day and my GL350 won't start. The GL350 isn't garaged.

First issue is that I get a low coolant warning when it is cold out. There seems to be plenty of coolant in the tank. I think this one is bogus and not that big of a deal. Secondly, the GL350 just cranks but will not start. The glow plug light goes off telling me that it is ready. There are some interesting noises coming from the back of the car. I think the fuel gelled and the fuel pump can't move any fuel. I made a video:

Has anyone else run across these problems? I know there are additives out there but if the fuel did gel, it is probably too late to use them. The additives are commonly used by the big Detroit diesels but the Mercedes may be a bit more sensitive. Too bad it doesn't have a block heater. The wife isn't too happy that her car won't start. She had to take my car which is also a diesel (Passat TDI). The TDI was parked next to the GL350 outside. It started up and ran just fine.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL350
Originally Posted by BoboPFunk
It was down below 0F last night and is still around 10F during the day and my GL350 won't start. The GL350 isn't garaged.

First issue is that I get a low coolant warning when it is cold out. There seems to be plenty of coolant in the tank. I think this one is bogus and not that big of a deal. Secondly, the GL350 just cranks but will not start. The glow plug light goes off telling me that it is ready. There are some interesting noises coming from the back of the car. I think the fuel gelled and the fuel pump can't move any fuel. I made a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyLOC7PyaTA

Has anyone else run across these problems? I know there are additives out there but if the fuel did gel, it is probably too late to use them. The additives are commonly used by the big Detroit diesels but the Mercedes may be a bit more sensitive. Too bad it doesn't have a block heater. The wife isn't too happy that her car won't start. She had to take my car which is also a diesel (Passat TDI). The TDI was parked next to the GL350 outside. It started up and ran just fine.
I just posted a thread, looks like have the same issue with the same noise. Did you resolve the issue?
Old 12-29-2017, 02:46 PM

2014 GL350
Not yet.

I tried to thaw out the fuel filter with a hair dryer but only succeeded in breaking the plastic engine cover. Plastic gets very brittle at these temperatures! Without a garage to heat the car up, I was going to put a large tarp over the GL and add a space heater. In the end, I decided to just send it off to the dealer. I called for a AAA tow about 5 hours ago. Still waiting. I know the dealer will happily replace every component in the fuel delivery system at my cost.

I thought these modern diesel cars had fuel heating systems and prevented these types of issues. I know my 2015 Passat TDI starts and runs just fine under the same conditions.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:26 PM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
What was the overnight temperature?

Back in the 80's my parent's 300SD Turbo Diesel had a 3 prong plug in the engine bay which we were to connect to the outlet in the house on really cold nights. Also we had to wait for the glow plug light to shut off before starting even when not plugged up.

Not yet.

I tried to thaw out the fuel filter with a hair dryer but only succeeded in breaking the plastic engine cover. Plastic gets very brittle at these temperatures! Without a garage to heat the car up, I was going to put a large tarp over the GL and add a space heater. In the end, I decided to just send it off to the dealer. I called for a AAA tow about 5 hours ago. Still waiting. I know the dealer will happily replace every component in the fuel delivery system at my cost.

I thought these modern diesel cars had fuel heating systems and prevented these types of issues. I know my 2015 Passat TDI starts and runs just fine under the same conditions.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:40 PM

2013 GL350
It's -30 C at night and -20 C during the day. Really bad weather here in Quebec area for about a week.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:44 AM

2014 GL350
I'm in Massachusetts. ~0F at night. 10F day.... for the last few days.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:18 AM

2013 GL350
Bought a heater and left it running overnight in the car. I placed it right where the pump is. The vehicle started fine.

Last edited by limiteddi; 12-30-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:32 AM

2014 GL350
Originally Posted by limiteddi
Bought a header and left it running overnight in the car. I placed it right where the pump is. The vehicle started fine.
That’s good to hear!

The fuel pump? Where is that? Passenger side (right) near the 2nd/rd row area?

This is my first Winter with the GL350. How long have you had yours? Has it experienced cold like this before? From what I read, Mercedes does not recomend any fuel additives but I may need to start adding it as my winter routine.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:42 AM

2013 GL350

That’s good to hear!

The fuel pump? Where is that? Passenger side (right) near the 2nd/rd row area?

This is my first Winter with the GL350. How long have you had yours? Has it experienced cold like this before? From what I read, Mercedes does not recomend any fuel additives but I may need to start adding it as my winter routine.
Yeah, its right where passenger middle seat is. This is the first time its been in -20 so I guess im out of luck if this weather continues.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:45 AM

2014 GL350
Bought a heater and left it running overnight in the car. I placed it right where the pump is. The vehicle started fine.
Yeah, its right where passenger middle seat is. This is the first time its been in -20 so I guess im out of luck if this weather continues.
i was under the impression that many Canadian spec GLs came with block heaters. I’ve been looking into adding one. If the part that froze is near the back / pump area then a block heater wouldn’t help anyways.

Im having mine towed to a friend’s house today where we can get it in a garage and warm it up.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:14 PM

2014 GL350
Had the GL350 towed to a friend’s place. Placed it in his garage and pointed a few huge kerosene powered space heaters at it. After about an hour, it started. Got it warmed up. Filled up the tank and added some Power Services Diesel Fuel Supplement Plus Cetane Boost to hopefully prevent future issues.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:18 AM

GL320
Life saver

[QUOTE=limiteddi;7346077]Yeah, its right where passenger middle seat is. This is the first time its been in -20 so I guess im out of luck if this weather continue
Thanks for the tip I'm 200 miles away from home up in New Hampshire scared the life out of me.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:10 PM

2014 GL350
Had the GL350 towed to a friend’s place. Placed it in his garage and pointed a few huge kerosene powered space heaters at it. After about an hour, it started. Got it warmed up. Filled up the tank and added some Power Services Diesel Fuel Supplement Plus Cetane Boost to hopefully prevent future issues.
got down to -12F last. Started just fine this morning after the additive treatment.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:58 PM

2015 GL350
Next time when you for see the cold weather with a weather app put some diesel 911 or whatever anti gell fuel you want. It will be good for the whole tank.

Next time if fuel is gelled and won't start putt the additive in let it sit for a couple of hrs then go back out and run the fuel pump a couple if time with out starting, to do this crank car over without putting foot on brake pedal it ends hrs fuel pump run .
Old 05-01-2018, 01:11 PM

2014 GL350
Originally Posted by ooklaa65
Next time when you for see the cold weather with a weather app put some diesel 911 or whatever anti gell fuel you want. It will be good for the whole tank.

Next time if fuel is gelled and won't start putt the additive in let it sit for a couple of hrs then go back out and run the fuel pump a couple if time with out starting, to do this crank car over without putting foot on brake pedal it ends hrs fuel pump run .
Here are my conclusions after dealing with gelled fuel:

1) You are 100% right regarding adding the additive before the weather gets cold. 15/20F is probably the threshold. Once it gels, it is a hassle to get it flowing again.

2) I found that once the fuel gelled, it was too late for the additive to help. I put it in, let it sit, then tried to start a few times with no luck. I think the fuel had gelled in the filter or the lines. The additive in the tank just couldn't work its way down the lines. The only thing that got it going was a massive space heater and a garage.

3) I also think that the diesel I bought was not formulated for the cold burst we experienced. I heard a lot of grumbling from friends with diesel pickups about which fuel station had messed up the mixture and which stations resulted in gelling problems. My VW TDI gelled up as well and I purchased from the same station as the GL350. Prior to this point, the VW had NEVER gelled even in the extreme cold.

4) . Careful where you point those space heaters! I melted my front, passenger side mud flap!
Old 05-01-2018, 05:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GL450
I used to have a Passat TDI and was in Bend Oregon over xmas and I woke up in the morning and it would not start because it was -10F outside. I bought some additive, poured it in and then literally started jumping up and down on the trunk. It did start after a while! :-)