GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Looking to Purchase GL - Advice Sought

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 ML 350 BTC, '15 Sprinter 144WB 2500
Looking to Purchase GL - Advice Sought

Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase a used GL and see a wealth of info and experience on this forum. Looking for advice from GL owners past and present.
1) Overall impressions of the vehicle. I see reviews that rave and reviews which curse high maintenance costs and repairs. I understand the it's complicated vehicle and would not want to own without being under warranty. My preference is for a used vehicle. Car is going to a second home and I don't need the depreciation hit for a car that is driven 6 months maybe out of the year. With that said, are there any particular model years or features that stand out? I'd like to stay 2014 and newer. Is the CPO certification worth the premium?
2) I have owned 2 ML 350 BlueTecs, Current is '11. I also have a '15 Sprinter V6 diesel BlueTec. I have been very happy with the V6 diesel. No problems, solid, strong and great MPG. My preference is a diesel engine which I know is more difficult to find. My larger concern is cold weather starting. This vehicle is going to the Jackson, WY area which can have extended cold periods - last year was -26F for 3 days. My Ram Diesel froze one night because it was not on the block heater. Is this a concern for these cars? If so, are aftermarket engine block heaters available?
3) Are there key repair/maintenance items one should be vigilant for by model year or mileage? I am hoping to source a vehicle with <40,000 miles. Does that make sense or am I setting myself up for an expensive service milestone?
4) Lastly, any must have options? I personally will not by a vehicle without xenon lights. i have been told to avoid the power rear seat and the light colored MB-Tex is stained by denim. The power headrests in the second row seats interfere with kiddie seats also.

Thanks in advance for all comments and advice,
Martin
Old 01-31-2018, 04:28 PM

I guess I will add a few posts to reference to help myself and others looking at the questions above.
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x166/685454-longevity-gl-bluetec.html#post7284399
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x166/696151-considering-cpo-gl450.html
Old 01-31-2018, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GL350
I own a 2014 GL350 that we bought CPO almost a year ago. I really enjoy driving the truck. The fuel economy is great for an SUV of that size and it tows very well. I love the driving characteristics of the diesel engine. It moves effortlessly and is so relaxed using all that low end torque. Due to no fault but my own, I was under the impression that CPO gave me bumper to bumper like warranty. The real experience is that they only cover exactly what is on the list. Everything else is out of pocket. I also have the extended 3 year CPO warranty. I feel great knowing that any large failure will be covered but if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't shy away from a non-CPO truck. They are much cheaper. Just bring it in for a pre-purchase inspection before purchasing it.

In the ~20K of ownership, I've had 2 problems with the power 3rd row seat. The power 2nd row has been OK so far and my kids fold them up and down 4-5 times/day. I had a broken rear wiper arm. No other issues and we are at something like 57K miles.

I've begun doing maintenance on my own. It isn't that bad. ~$85/oil change which is every 10K miles. The 40K service will be much more since it requires new left and right air filters and fuel filter. I can't imagine service costs costing any more than your ML or Sprinter. Looking for a truck over 40K miles will save you the cost of that 40K service. The GL350 is heavy and chews through brakes and tires rather quickly as well.

Mine has Xenon, black Mb-tex, active lane assist, Parktronic with Active Parking Assist, Keyless Go, Tow package, and Distronic with presafe braking. I wish it had the 360 surround camera but I couldn't find a GL350 with all that. I think panarama sunroof would have been nice. I would recommend Xenon, Tow Package, Keyless Go, Distronic w/ presafe braking (love adaptive cruise and like the idea of presafe braking. Parktronic is nice because it gives you an idea how close you are to other cars and walls when parking. I've never used the active parking assist. I don't use the GL350 as a sports truck so I wasn't looking for the extra price or complexity of active curve. Some people love it but it wasn't the focus of my needs.

My GL350 froze last month (along with my diesel Passat) when it was -20F for a few days. I've started treating the fuel with Power Services Diesel Fuel Supplement when it gets under 10F and have not had a problem since. I would try that before any block heater solution. I also HIGHLY recommend a set of snow tires. The GL350 is a heavy beast and was downright scary with the stock tires but I feel confident in it with the snow tires.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by BoboPFunk
I own a 2014 GL350 that we bought CPO almost a year ago. I really enjoy driving the truck. The fuel economy is great for an SUV of that size and it tows very well. I love the driving characteristics of the diesel engine. It moves effortlessly and is so relaxed using all that low end torque. Due to no fault but my own, I was under the impression that CPO gave me bumper to bumper like warranty. The real experience is that they only cover exactly what is on the list. Everything else is out of pocket. I also have the extended 3 year CPO warranty. I feel great knowing that any large failure will be covered but if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't shy away from a non-CPO truck. They are much cheaper. Just bring it in for a pre-purchase inspection before purchasing it.

In the ~20K of ownership, I've had 2 problems with the power 3rd row seat. The power 2nd row has been OK so far and my kids fold them up and down 4-5 times/day. I had a broken rear wiper arm. No other issues and we are at something like 57K miles.

I've begun doing maintenance on my own. It isn't that bad. ~$85/oil change which is every 10K miles. The 40K service will be much more since it requires new left and right air filters and fuel filter. I can't imagine service costs costing any more than your ML or Sprinter. Looking for a truck over 40K miles will save you the cost of that 40K service. The GL350 is heavy and chews through brakes and tires rather quickly as well.

Mine has Xenon, black Mb-tex, active lane assist, Parktronic with Active Parking Assist, Keyless Go, Tow package, and Distronic with presafe braking. I wish it had the 360 surround camera but I couldn't find a GL350 with all that. I think panarama sunroof would have been nice. I would recommend Xenon, Tow Package, Keyless Go, Distronic w/ presafe braking (love adaptive cruise and like the idea of presafe braking. Parktronic is nice because it gives you an idea how close you are to other cars and walls when parking. I've never used the active parking assist. I don't use the GL350 as a sports truck so I wasn't looking for the extra price or complexity of active curve. Some people love it but it wasn't the focus of my needs.

My GL350 froze last month (along with my diesel Passat) when it was -20F for a few days. I've started treating the fuel with Power Services Diesel Fuel Supplement when it gets under 10F and have not had a problem since. I would try that before any block heater solution. I also HIGHLY recommend a set of snow tires. The GL350 is a heavy beast and was downright scary with the stock tires but I feel confident in it with the snow tires.
Thanks for the helpful input.
Is it possible to purchase an ELW for a CPO vehicle? Or once it is CPO there is a different extended warranty?
Old 01-31-2018, 09:13 PM

2014 GL350
I just looked up the documentation. Sorry for the slight misinformation. What I got was the ELW and it is good for 2 year additional years and unlimited miles after the 1 year CPO warranty. I took the advice of people here on the forums and shopped around for the ELW. I ended up buying it from a dealer in Kentucky at a fraction of the price it was offered by dealer who sold me the truck.

Good luck with your search.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by BoboPFunk
I just looked up the documentation. Sorry for the slight misinformation. What I got was the ELW and it is good for 2 year additional years and unlimited miles after the 1 year CPO warranty. I took the advice of people here on the forums and shopped around for the ELW. I ended up buying it from a dealer in Kentucky at a fraction of the price it was offered by dealer who sold me the truck.

Good luck with your search.
Thanks for the info. Interesting if CPO Warranty is different than ELW. I guess I'll find out.
You're the only person to comment on any part of this thread with so many forum owners?! Thanks again for your input Bobo.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:12 AM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
2014 GL450
Originally Posted by MaxMB
Thanks for the info. Interesting if CPO Warranty is different than ELW. I guess I'll find out.
You're the only person to comment on any part of this thread with so many forum owners?! Thanks again for your input Bobo.
CPO warranty is 1 additional year with options to buy 2 more. All are unlimited miles

NEW car extended warranty, can be bought for another 1,2 or 3 years capped at 100k miles.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:46 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
MB GL450
I own a 2015 GL450. Related to options Must have for me would be lighting Package, 360 camera and lane departure warning system. I do have other options but they are nice to have vs must have
Related to the light interior denim staining, I have light almond/expresso brown and the light almond seats do infact easily stain by denim. But this stains comes out very easily with either soapy water and terry towel or armorall ( I use flat finish amrorall)
I find that regular maintenance is expensive compared to other brands (non luxury) I have owned. (Honda, Chevy, VW, Ford)
The GL drives fantastic. I love the way it handles. I recently rented a ford expedition for a work trip and the ford felt primitive compared to the GL
Old 02-04-2018, 10:17 AM

2014 GL350
Definitely get tow package. It was only a $500 option when new and adds little to no premium on a used truck... yet adding a tow hitch (especially properly connecting the electronics) is a pain.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:10 PM

wanting a GL350/450
Hi MaxMB, I'm also in the market, so thanks for your post and the two links.

- also a max
Old 02-27-2018, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
If you're going to buy a used GL, go with a gas model. Mercedes BlueTEC diesel motors are sludge and soot garbage which will drive you crazy & make you pull your hair out. You've been warned.

Read this before ever considering a MB BlueTEC: http://www.stephensservice.com/bluet...ssuesproblems/

Last edited by DaveW68; 02-27-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 GL450
Agree buy a GL450 gas.
i have a 2016 and its twin turbo very powerful.
very reliable engine but be prepared after a while to deal with air suspension. While its worth to have it for the ride comfort its a pain to deal with it after a while its not uncommon for them to fail.

In terms of options inwould go for all the active assist (lane keeping, brake assist and blond spot) they are amazing in terms of security...good luck !!!!

Originally Posted by DaveW68
If you're going to buy a used GL, go with a gas model. Mercedes BlueTEC diesel motors are sludge and soot garbage which will drive you crazy & make you pull your hair out. You've been warned.

Read this before ever considering a MB BlueTEC: http://www.stephensservice.com/bluet...ssuesproblems/
Old 03-02-2018, 08:50 AM

08 GL450
You might find that the Carmax warranty is significantly better than the CPO warranty. It's an excluded item (bumper-to-bumper) warranty and there are tons of GL's for sale there. I was considering a 2014 GL63 replacement (before it sold), with a nice 5yr, 100K mile warranty and the prices were very reasonable.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:15 AM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by MBQureshi
Must have for me would be lighting Package
^^^^^
THIS

There are probably more complaints about the stock lighting and questions about retrofit than just about anything else, except perhaps retrofitting the towing package.