GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

CarPlay for X166

Old 05-01-2018, 07:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 Mercedes GL450
See the Unichip

Originally Posted by sdvictor
Yeah, I sorta bricked it this weekend when I did a firmware update. They remotely troubleshooted it for me last night and fixed.. The update allows me to independently control the nav, music and siri/telephone volumes to a pre-set volumes that I want. Still working fine.
I will say this, they are rough around the edges in the way they operate, and I feel like they still have a way to go in learning how to deal with a more savvy American/European customer base. This is what happens when you're working with a bootstrap sort of operation. But, the people I deal with are honestly earnest and wanting to learn and work with the engineering team to provide updates and such; and willing to help.

I'll give you an example. I told my contact that sold me the boxes that the apple maps don't go to night time map consistently between my E and GL. Shot to photos to her, and send her a diagnostic log (plugging in a USB stick into the port will dump a log). She is actually putting that request into an engineer to see if they can fix that control element better.

The product is fine for my application in my opinion, understanding the limitations (using USB and needing to set the aux input in audio) makes me keep realistic expectations. It's clean and unobstrusive.
Android Auto support is supposedly coming soon. Also, I really think that 10.25 inch android screen retrofit that people are doing on the E class is chintzy as hell.

Anyone in the seattle area want to see it in my E class or GL; feel free to ping me.
I PM'd you yesterday. We are in the Seattle area and I'm thinking about buying this for my wife's 2015 GL450 and would love to see how it works before I pull the trigger. What part of the area are you from? I work in Kirkland but live in Snohomish.

Nate
Old 05-02-2018, 02:46 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 GTI, 2014 E350 Wagon, 2015 GL450, 2018 GLC300
Sure thing. Pm me again. Didn't get the last message. The GL is primarily getting driven by the wife these days, but I also have it on my E class wagon I drive to work.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:07 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 GL550 4Matic
CarPlay box by UniChip is now back in stock. Should receive my replacement by the end of the week. Install over the weekend. Will update if the install goes as planned...
Old 05-02-2018, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by srfrboy
CarPlay box by UniChip is now back in stock. Should receive my replacement by the end of the week. Install over the weekend. Will update if the install goes as planned...
I'm interested in seeing how it goes. I don't even use COMAND anymore these days.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:02 PM

2013 GL550 4Matic
I received my UniChip CarPlay box on Monday. Installed it last night. Everything work great, except no sound. However, I have to give a very big shout out to the assistance provided by UniChip. They walked through the entire install with me last night and I was really happy to see that my Command unit was interfacing with their CarPlay box. The engineering team is going to continue to support me until we get the audio portion of the install figured out. Will update when we have the install completed.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:07 PM

2015 Mercedes GL450
UniChip

I received my UniChip CarPlay box on Monday. Installed it last night. Everything work great, except no sound. However, I have to give a very big shout out to the assistance provided by UniChip. They walked through the entire install with me last night and I was really happy to see that my Command unit was interfacing with their CarPlay box. The engineering team is going to continue to support me until we get the audio portion of the install figured out. Will update when we have the install completed.
I am going to install this in my wife’s GL450 tomorrow night. One question regarding the absence of audio, did you install the fiber optic cable into the main unit as SDVictor said was necessary? I’m really hoping this works!
Old 05-09-2018, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by natelw

I am going to install this in my wife’s GL450 tomorrow night. One question regarding the absence of audio, did you install the fiber optic cable into the main unit as SDVictor said was necessary? I’m really hoping this works!
Hey, you never came by to say hi! Let me know if you have any questions or need help, although I'm down in the bay area tomorrow night for the weekend.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:15 PM

2013 GL550 4Matic

I did connect the fiber optic cable to the new wiring harness and then into the Command unit. You then have to go into the Engineering menu to turn on the AUX Input. That is where we ran into issue. That is why UniChip's tech support is working on a solution for me. Make sure you get the WhatsUP app to communicate with them... They are very helpful in walking through on FaceTime or other video conferencing apps to visually see what you are doing and to lend a hand.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:17 PM

2015 Mercedes GL450
Hey, you never came by to say hi! Let me know if you have any questions or need help.
Ha ha, sorry. We went out of town unexpectedly-I’m back tomorrow and the UniChip is sitting on my counter ready to be installed. So just to be certain you had to reboot after installation and change the aux setting in the engineering menu? I’m not sure how to do that so if I run into trouble I may reach out for help.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:20 PM

2015 Mercedes GL450
I did connect the fiber optic cable to the new wiring harness and then into the Command unit. You then have to go into the Engineering menu to turn on the AUX Input. That is where we ran into issue. That is why UniChip's tech support is working on a solution for me. Make sure you get the WhatsUP app to communicate with them... They are very helpful in walking through on FaceTime or other video conferencing apps to visually see what you are doing and to lend a hand.
Ok great. Let me know how it gets fixed - I plan to do it tomorrow night but may wait to see how things turn out for you first.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:21 PM

2013 GL550 4Matic
Ok, I'll post how things progress...
Old 05-09-2018, 07:53 PM

Ok, I'll post how things progress...
BTW, glad to hear that they're working on a solution for you.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:11 PM

2015 Mercedes GL450
BTW, glad to hear that they're working on a solution for you.
Hooked up - no sound either. What do we set the dip switches to? I did what they showed in the video alternating dip switches then resetting and I lost my screen.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:13 PM

2013 GL550 4Matic

Hooked up - no sound either. What do we set the dip switches to? I did what they showed in the video alternating dip switches then resetting and I lost my screen.
First one up, second one down, and the rest up on the DIP Switch.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:14 PM

2013 GL550 4Matic
You need to go into the engineering mode. Push all at the sametime... Hang UP, *, # and 1.

Stick Aux IN to on.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:20 PM

2015 Mercedes GL450
You need to go into the engineering mode. Push all at the sametime... Hang UP, *, # and 1.

Stick Aux IN to on.
Okay I’m into engineering mode, then where do I go?

Did you finally get yours to work? Also did you change the dip switches?
Old 05-10-2018, 10:28 PM

2015 Mercedes GL450

Stick Aux IN to on.
Finally watched a video and got to aux and it is off and grayed out, I can’t access it. I’m gonna PM u my cell if u don’t mind and maybe u can walk me through it.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:31 PM

2015 Mercedes GL450
Yes, it does. But, in my mind, it's easier. The audio input needs to be set to "Aux" to work, but beyond that, it's just holding down the "C" on the COMAND control for 2 seconds or so to switch in and out. If you're using the iPhone for the phone, then everything can be done In carplay. If you have a 2nd phone (I also have a pixel 2, as I'm waiting for AA support later this year), then the Bluetooth can be controlled via the phone buttons still.
The Aux input is overridden in the "T" harness that is included, and some programming. If you purchased it via WhatsApp with the rep, she actually ran back and forth with the Engineering teams as I was doing the setups, and has detailed instructions of what needs to be set in the COMAND engineering menu system.
Google maps and waze doesn't work on carplay. They support what's on carplay, which is apple maps. the Unichip video is incorrectly calling apple maps google maps. Google maps doesn't even work in China as it's banned. That said, this list is a good list of current supported apps on carplay.
You can do google maps and waze if you jailbreak it. latest jailbreak methods, which are just one click methods now.
Waze on carplay (I have yet to try, but might this weekend, since I like waze a lot for finding where the ...ahem...cops are)
How did you set the AUX to on - myself and Srfboy have the same issue, we went to the engineering screen but aux is grayed out.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:10 AM

2015 Mercedes GL450

here is my video on installation, how to set aux on and use of the UniChip. So far so good.....UPDATE our backup camera is now working when CarPlay is engaged, Holly at UniChip was very helpful and sent us a software update that fixed the issue. So this thing works great and right now I have no complaints!

Last edited by natelw; 05-23-2018 at 12:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GDCLNFN (04-23-2019)
Old 05-12-2018, 07:21 AM

2013 GL550 4Matic
Nate,

Great video. I saw you push the Disc button on the command unit to listen to Pandora... Why did you have to do that?
Old 05-12-2018, 10:50 AM

2015 Mercedes GL450
Nate,

Great video. I saw you push the Disc button on the command unit to listen to Pandora... Why did you have to do that?
when you are still hooked up to Bluetooth on your phone even if you switch to CarPlay you just (for some reason) have to hit disc so the unit knows to use aux and you can do that by selecting disc (I wasn’t hearing sound after I did the aux “on” so that is what I tried and it worked)

did you finally get audio?

Couple of issues I have now: (1) it loses connection when we hit a bump - I’m going to try a new iPhone wire and maybe new USB extension and (2) the backup camera doesn’t work when CarPlay is engaged.

Last edited by natelw; 05-12-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:48 PM

2015 Mercedes GL450
Yeah, let me know if you need any pointers. For me, it was a lot of amazon deliveries for trim removal tools and torx bit sets. A lot of installers won't touch it with a 10 foot pole because unichip is unproven and new. Personally, I think it's pretty awesome. It was weird and unnerving to buy from China via paypal and support/ordering done via WhatsApp. But the people I've been working with there are awesome. As weird as it sounds, some US companies can learn a thing or 2 about customer service from these guys.
Victor - my backup camera doesn’t work when CarPlay is engaged, I thought I read you had the same issue with yours - how did you fix it?
Old 05-15-2018, 05:52 PM

Victor - my backup camera doesn’t work when CarPlay is engaged, I thought I read you had the same issue with yours - how did you fix it?
Sorry, was gone for the weekend in California. There are two things you need to check - #1 Hold the command wheel down (click towards the center armrest) and check that you have the right settings for 360 camera, you can try all the camera iterations. Secondly, click the wheel to the left and hold, and make sure you have the latest march or newer firmware. I have yet to install the may firmware. I'll shoot some shots of what to look for.

Last edited by sdvictor; 05-15-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:54 PM

Installation Video

here is my video on installation, how to set aux on and use of the UniChip. So far so good.....UPDATE - starting driving and we lose connectivity a lot, I keep plugging it back in but no go after just a minute or so - I’m gonna try a new USB wire and iPhone cable - AND our backup camera doesn’t work when CarPlay is engaged.
Connectivity, try rebooting your iPhone. I use a clean minimal install on my iPhone in the car. I actually have a dedicated iPhone SE just for my car.

Last edited by sdvictor; 05-15-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:57 PM

Stick Aux IN to on.
Did you get everything working?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CarPlay for X166