GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Convince Me: 13-14 GL550 or LX570

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jan AMG

What would you buy for the mixed cycle?
Yoni would prob buy a g wagon for off road and a gl for on road. According to Yoni, no car enthusiast would pick a lexus over a mercedes.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Originally Posted by miky702
Yoni would prob buy a g wagon for off road and a gl for on road. According to Yoni, no car enthusiast would pick a lexus over a mercedes.
It has to be one car

Btw. SL vs LC isn’t a precise comparison, LC has no button for roof down yet
Old 06-03-2018, 06:33 PM

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
2019 Audi Q8, 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2015 GL63, & 2005 E500W4
Yoni probably wouldn't buy anything for off-road since they don't off-road. If they did, they'd do it with someone else's car. The GL450 has only been on a mild Wisconsin trail. Otherwise, it cruises Chicago's North Shore most of the time.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:38 PM

Still no need to talk down another brand like you did just because you don't like the brand. It makes you look like a brand ***** who only cares about the badge. I'd pick some mercedes model over the Lexus ones for various reasons, brand being one reason but definitely not the most important one.

I can say that a real car enthusiast would not even consider getting any mercedes over a porsche, a land rover, an aston or bentley, but I'm sure you'd think that's ignorant just like how you are being ignorant.

And your argument of picking the sl550 over lc500 because it's quicker lol. I understand that the design is subjective, but the LC is universally praised for its design, and the fact that it handles much better than the sl.

How do you feel about the current g wagon? Is it still a car enthusiast choice to those who drives mostly on the road? Plenty of porsche and ferrari owners own one.
You are a nonsensical person. How am I a 'brand *****'? If I was a 'brand *****,' I would be enthused about Lexus and all of these other luxury brands. I am not. I am passionate about Mercedes-Benz, as many on this forum are. The oldest automaker in the world, the world record for longevity and endurance, an incredible racing history, and a commitment to make the safest vehicles. There is so much to love about Mercedes. I don't have an argument for picking the SL550 or the LC500, because I don't own one and don't see buying either. The G-Wagon is a heritage piece. It's less about practicality and more about a tremendous story and legacy.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts
Mayback
Thanks for all of the replies. Great discussion here. The posts on here have me leaning towards the GL over the LX. Main reasons are:
-550 is a much better on road driving vehicle than the LX (no off roading needs for me)

-third row on the GL can actually sit adults comfortably. The LX i tested was cramped with the knees sitting up high.

-GL550 performance! Im only 33 and even when I don’t have the babies in the car, i’d like to have some fun.

Could someone chime in on the difference between the GL’s Harmon Kardon stereo and the Mark Levinson on the LX? Is the B&O worth the upgrade on the GL? I have the Harmon Kardon in my 14 ML350 and it sounds great. Is this the exact same system in the GL?

Thanks

Old 06-03-2018, 08:27 PM

Mayback
Originally Posted by Beachproducer
We have a 2015 LX and my 2014 GL & hands down the Merc is the winner when everyone wants to go out for dinner...

We're talking six adults spanning 45-75, all with various ailments, creaky knees, and average sized adults.

The ease for two six footers to get into the 3rd row, and the mass amount of leg room for the 2nd row leaves the Lexus in the dust regarding comfort.

We tried once to get everybody into the Lexus for a dinner trip, and wound up having the ones in the 3rd row swear it off - they didn't feel comfortable having knees up to chins the whole ride.

Third row space in the Mercedes is fantastic by comparison.

And the power! I'm waiting with bated breath to get the ECU tuned up to the 550hp output.
Your post tilted me towards the GL. Can you compare the Mark Levinson in the LX(if your has that option) and the Harman Kardon in the GL?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2018, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yoni94
You are a nonsensical person. How am I a 'brand *****'? If I was a 'brand *****,' I would be enthused about Lexus and all of these other luxury brands. I am not. I am passionate about Mercedes-Benz, as many on this forum are. The oldest automaker in the world, the world record for longevity and endurance, an incredible racing history, and a commitment to make the safest vehicles. There is so much to love about Mercedes. I don't have an argument for picking the SL550 or the LC500, because I don't own one and don't see buying either. The G-Wagon is a heritage piece. It's less about practicality and more about a tremendous story and legacy.
What you're saying is even worse than those pretending to be car enthusiasts. Mercedes is a great car company, I understand and thus I own one. Yet, it's true that many models made during the merger of Benz and Chrysler weren't that great. Mercedes had to learn from Lexus LS to improve their S class in the 90s. Toyota LC has a great story too but you just don't care about it.

There are so many good cars out there made by different companies. Be inclusive and appreciate their existence. It's sad to see you have so much passion about mercedes and so little else for others. You're a mercedes-benz enthusiast but no car enthusiast. Just admit it.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:12 AM

What you're saying is even worse than those pretending to be car enthusiasts. Mercedes is a great car company, I understand and thus I own one. Yet, it's true that many models made during the merger of Benz and Chrysler weren't that great. Mercedes had to learn from Lexus LS to improve their S class in the 90s. Toyota LC has a great story too but you just don't care about it.

There are so many good cars out there made by different companies. Be inclusive and appreciate their existence. It's sad to see you have so much passion about mercedes and so little else for others. You're a mercedes-benz enthusiast but no car enthusiast. Just admit it.

I am very loyal to Mercedes-Benz and Volvo in particular. I admire BMW. I grew up with those three brands in my household. I am also very fond of Jaguar Land Rover. However, there is no doubt that Mercedes-Benz is my first love.

I love cars. The second car I ever purchased on my own was a Volkswagen Phaeton V8. That was a great car, but it still was no Mercedes. I am very accustomed to the Mercedes-Benz platform, driving style, interfaces, etc. I am both a car enthusiast and a Mercedes-Benz enthusiast.

I definitely appreciate the Land Cruiser heritage. I think it's a great truck. However, it is not something that I would buy.

Last edited by SndsoftheSbrbs; 06-04-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GL550 Wife, LS460 & LC Mine
I can give my opinion on both stereo systems. Take the stock stereo. Don't waste $3k on "their" upgrade. It doesn't add much quality. Both systems are weak, better than other cars, sure, but still, not that good. Better to take that $3k and get some custom work done on just a decent stereo system. 5 really good speakers and an amp is way bettter than 13 crappy speakers tied to one integrated amp with zero power.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Originally Posted by dryrunner
I can give my opinion on both stereo systems. Take the stock stereo. Don't waste $3k on "their" upgrade. It doesn't add much quality. Both systems are weak, better than other cars, sure, but still, not that good. Better to take that $3k and get some custom work done on just a decent stereo system. 5 really good speakers and an amp is way bettter than 13 crappy speakers tied to one integrated amp with zero power.
Fair enough. Can you be please more specific? Do you think it makes sense to visit car audio shop if you have B&O (CLS)? I think it could be better (but the car is noisy, unlike the S Class where a proper car audio makes sense).
Old 06-08-2018, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
ONLY buy the gl if you get an EXTENDED WARRANTY, only way, IF not, and you want peace of mind, that LX will go forever.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 474 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by Jan AMG
Fair enough. Can you be please more specific? Do you think it makes sense to visit car audio shop if you have B&O (CLS)? I think it could be better (but the car is noisy, unlike the S Class where a proper car audio makes sense).
I had Levinson in 2 of my LS'. The sound quality was fantastic....depending on the medium you were listening to. CD's with a wide range of instruments was superb. Listening to FM radio or Sirius was a let down due to the high compression of the signal. The biggest problem I had with ML was the lack of power and bass. It really wasn't a system that you could crank up and truly "feel" the music.

I had the HK in my S600. IMO, it was just OK. The stereo had tons of potential and lots of power, but the EQ was absolute crap as the mids were turned up way too high and could not be turned down since no adjustment existed. It was impossible to exploit the highs and lows with mids constantly interfering. I would imagine that the same restraints are part of the HK in the GL's.

I have the B&O in my GL550. It was a $6400 option back in 2013, but if you can find one in a used GL, you likely will pay very little or no premium to get it. They are hard to find with that option, so you'll really have to search. As with the ML system in the Lexus, the type of signal makes all of the difference in the world. Highly compressed signals through Sirius or FM radio will seem dull and not worthy of a system that is meant to excel. If you listen to a high quality CD or stream quality music from your phone or i-device, it will absolutely blow you away. The B&O sound quality is every bit as good as ML, but it excels in power, bass, and high frequency tones. It puts out 1200 watts of power that is a true delight to listen to....and is meant for audiophiles who know what a quality piece of music is supposed to sound like. It's hard to believe that such a system could exist in the limitations of an automobile. People who are not impressed with its sound have not tried listening to it with the correct medium that it is meant for.

The GL is one of the quietest SUV's on the market, so that should not deter you from having a high quality sound system. It is the S-class of SUV's.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:27 AM

Mayback
Originally Posted by DaveW68
I had Levinson in 2 of my LS'. The sound quality was fantastic....depending on the medium you were listening to. CD's with a wide range of instruments was superb. Listening to FM radio or Sirius was a let down due to the high compression of the signal. The biggest problem I had with ML was the lack of power and bass. It really wasn't a system that you could crank up and truly "feel" the music.

I had the HK in my S600. IMO, it was just OK. The stereo had tons of potential and lots of power, but the EQ was absolute crap as the mids were turned up way too high and could not be turned down since no adjustment existed. It was impossible to exploit the highs and lows with mids constantly interfering. I would imagine that the same restraints are part of the HK in the GL's.

I have the B&O in my GL550. It was a $6400 option back in 2013, but if you can find one in a used GL, you likely will pay very little or no premium to get it. They are hard to find with that option, so you'll really have to search. As with the ML system in the Lexus, the type of signal makes all of the difference in the world. Highly compressed signals through Sirius or FM radio will seem dull and not worthy of a system that is meant to excel. If you listen to a high quality CD or stream quality music from your phone or i-device, it will absolutely blow you away. The B&O sound quality is every bit as good as ML, but it excels in power, bass, and high frequency tones. It puts out 1200 watts of power that is a true delight to listen to....and is meant for audiophiles who know what a quality piece of music is supposed to sound like. It's hard to believe that such a system could exist in the limitations of an automobile. People who are not impressed with its sound have not tried listening to it with the correct medium that it is meant for.

The GL is one of the quietest SUV's on the market, so that should not deter you from having a high quality sound system. It is the S-class of SUV's.
Thanks great review. I would have loved to search for a vehicle with the B&O then I found out about the system gets rid of the factory spare and I’ve changed my mind. IMO a spare is a must for a family hauler.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:27 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
In the market
What did you buy?
Old 12-09-2019, 03:47 PM

More specific. Okay. I had a 99 GS400 with Levinson. It was Okay. I spent $4k on Dynaudio speakers, Zapco amps, processors, dynamat, etc. The sound quality was amazing, Stunning. I have a 2011 LS460 with Levinson. The sound is good if the windows are closed, But, because the amp is too weak, open a window and the sound is washed out. No bass, no real quality. So, if you are buying a used car and can get the B&O ( I haven't heard it), then that seems to make sense. But if buying a new car, spend the money with a high quality installer and high end audio equipment. Night and day. You don't even need a subwoofer if purchasing quality passenger door woofers. Two tweeters up front, midrange in the driver doors, all set.

The standard stereo in the GL is abysmal in my opinion.

And for the person who writes about himself in 3rd person, the heritage of the Land Cruiser goes back to 1951. And a lot more sold around the world than the GL.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:54 PM

And while I'm on a rant, this really isn't a forum, this is a complaint / repair site. Almost every new post is about some issue / malfunction / failure on the GL.
If you check out the IHATEMUD forums for 200 series Land Cruisers, you will see what a forum should be. Or any model for that matter.

Okay, I feel better now.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:07 AM

In the market
Stereo wouldn't make my top 5 reasons to buy either. I am both are acceptable to most of the addressable market.

Our 2012 GL550 was bought to tow our boat, but it has been driven way more than expected. The service records were very good at it and it had all the maintenance. It has had 1 problem since we bought it. The rear bags went out. It was a very expensive fix. It cost $130 for the bags and took about an hour to put them in. (could have done it in 30 minutes if I was in a rush) I am debating upgrading to an 2015 GL550 for the wife and getting an LC for a 3rd car. I can't believe the LX570's sell for less.

Last edited by not2fast; 12-10-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by not2fast
Stereo wouldn't make my top 5 reasons to buy either. I am both are acceptable to most of the addressable market.

Our 2012 GL550 was bought to tow our boat, but it has been driven way more than expected. The service records were very good at it and it had all the maintenance. It has had 1 problem since we bought it. The rear bags went out. It was a very expensive fix. It cost $130 for the bags and took about an hour to put them in. (could have done it in 30 minutes if I was in a rush) I am debating upgrading to an 2015 GL550 for the wife and getting an LC for a 3rd car. I can't believe the LX570's sell for less.
The LX570 is a dog at acceleration, floats all over the road and tech is lagging. Kinda hard to believe Lexus let this happen as they are usually tech leaders. So it's not surprising that they sell less than 5000/yr in the US and the GL/GLS consistently outsells the LX 5:1.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:43 AM

In the market
The LX570 is a dog at acceleration, floats all over the road and tech is lagging. Kinda hard to believe Lexus let this happen as they are usually tech leaders. So it's not surprising that they sell less than 5000/yr in the US and the GL/GLS consistently outsells the LX 5:1.
All of Toyota's frame based trucks/suv's are long in the tooth. I am curious if they come out with another version or if this is the end of the line for them.

Tundra/Tacoma/4Runner/LC/GX460/LX570 are all running 10+-year-old chassis and drivetrains. Crazy they are even competitive.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
All of Toyota's frame based trucks/suv's are long in the tooth. I am curious if they come out with another version or if this is the end of the line for them.

Tundra/Tacoma/4Runner/LC/GX460/LX570 are all running 10+-year-old chassis and drivetrains. Crazy they are even competitive.
They really aren't competitive....at least not in the US market.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:16 PM

In the market
They still sell them and they still have great resale.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:11 PM

Mayback
What did you buy?
I ended up buying a 1 owner fully loaded 2014 Starfire Pearl with black leather interior LX570 with 92xxx miles in excellent condition. Reliability was important to me and I did not want to deal with the almost certain headaches down the road with the air shocks, turbos and oil leaks in the GL. Also, the LX turns far more heads as there is less on the road. More exclusive. GL’s are a dime a dozen here.

The Mark Levinson system wows me on a good high quality source. The engine is smooth like butter but strong when you need it. So much torque! The LX is the most capable SUV out there and I feel at peace inside such a quiet living room like environment.However, toggling the ECT power switch and toggling the suspension to Sport changes the handling and driving experience dramatically.

Im very happy with my decision.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by WillieMack
I ended up buying a 1 owner fully loaded 2014 Starfire Pearl with black leather interior LX570 with 92xxx miles in excellent condition. Reliability was important to me and I did not want to deal with the almost certain headaches down the road with the air shocks, turbos and oil leaks in the GL. Also, the LX turns far more heads as there is less on the road. More exclusive. GL’s are a dime a dozen here.

The Mark Levinson system wows me on a good high quality source. The engine is smooth like butter but strong when you need it. So much torque! The LX is the most capable SUV out there and I feel at peace inside such a quiet living room like environment.However, toggling the ECT power switch and toggling the suspension to Sport changes the handling and driving experience dramatically.

Im very happy with my decision.
It looks like you've done a bang up job talking yourself into a slow, floaty ute. I've owned many Lexus' over the years and they were reliable (for the most part), neutered cars. The reason you don't see very many LX's on the road is because Lexus can't sell them because their competition (MB) is crushing them in features and performance. Lexus had such an amazing sales run in the 1990's and early 2000's.....but now you hardly ever hear of them. Their competition caught up to them and has now run them over. Lexus has gone with a design language that most people find to be very gaudy and unappealing. I know your 2014 isn't as ugly as the new ones....but the tech and design of that thing are from the early-mid 2000's decade. That thing has a great motor that will last you many years....but the truck is not bullet proof and lots of things will likely go wrong with it with your starting mileage. Go over to the Lexus forums and you'll see just as many folks complaining about things breaking on their Lexus' as you see in this forum. I wish you had the chance to test a GL with the Bang and Olufsen stereo. I'd take the Pepsi Challenge any day of the week against the ML stereo in the Lexus. The sound and power out of the B&O blows away the ML. But if you are a regular off-roader that likes to climb rocks and cross streams, then the LX is certainly the way to go vs the GL as the GL is more of a cross-over while the LX is body on frame set up nicely for off-roading.

All of that said, I hope you really enjoy your new ride.
The following users liked this post:
Doorkey (01-18-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 11:16 AM

Mayback
It looks like you've done a bang up job talking yourself into a slow, floaty ute. I've owned many Lexus' over the years and they were reliable (for the most part), neutered cars. The reason you don't see very many LX's on the road is because Lexus can't sell them because their competition (MB) is crushing them in features and performance. Lexus had such an amazing sales run in the 1990's and early 2000's.....but now you hardly ever hear of them. Their competition caught up to them and has now run them over. Lexus has gone with a design language that most people find to be very gaudy and unappealing. I know your 2014 isn't as ugly as the new ones....but the tech and design of that thing are from the early-mid 2000's decade. That thing has a great motor that will last you many years....but the truck is not bullet proof and lots of things will likely go wrong with it with your starting mileage. Go over to the Lexus forums and you'll see just as many folks complaining about things breaking on their Lexus' as you see in this forum. I wish you had the chance to test a GL with the Bang and Olufsen stereo. I'd take the Pepsi Challenge any day of the week against the ML stereo in the Lexus. The sound and power out of the B&O blows away the ML. But if you are a regular off-roader that likes to climb rocks and cross streams, then the LX is certainly the way to go vs the GL as the GL is more of a cross-over while the LX is body on frame set up nicely for off-roading.

All of that said, I hope you really enjoy your new ride.
I decided that I needed something reliable that was worth keeping long term. The LX is powerful enough and is far more engaging to drive in sport mode (shocks and stabilizer adjusts) than you might initially think. Is it as sporty as a GL550? Not at all, but there were many other factors I looked at.

The LX is not your typical "Lexus". It is a luxury version of the Toyota Landcruiser hand built in Japan in one highest quality factories in the world. These vehicles are built for a 25 year service life. The Alabama assembled GL550 I sat in just didn't feel as solid. Look at online car ads. There's a good reason a 2013 Lexus LX570 still sells for $35,000 with 100,000 miles on the odometer, whereas a 2013 GL550 with 100,000 miles sells for $24,000- $25,000 even though brand new, the GL retailed at least 10k more than the LX. And after a few more years with higher mileage, the value of the GL is peanuts where the LX will still be worth around $20,000. There are far less used LX's for sale because the original owners tend to keep them long-term. It exels offroad, yet is very capable and comfortable on road. The truck is bulletproof. There's a reason Land Cruisers are used by United Nations and NATO forces.

I did my research on both forums. The cost of ownership of the LX blows the GL away. The LX uses Toyota parts and are widely available and service is much easier/cheaper. The LX uses a hydraulic height adjustable suspension with excellent reliability. Frequently I read owners having 200,000 miles of trouble free experience with just tires and regular service. A new OEM shock is $200. The GL uses air shocks which develops leaks and needs replacement as early as 60k-80k. $6000 all 4 new from Mercedes ($3500 remanufactured). I've been through German air suspension ordeals with an Audi. Never again. A complete brake job on a GL550 is at least $1800 and they eat through breaks. Light Truck tires on an LX are $1000 installed every 40k miles. Low Profile tires on a GL550 are $1500 installed every 15k-20k miles.

I read the reliability thread on the GL550 and reading from some members what the warranty paid out for some claims of faulty Active Curve systems, oil and vaccuum leaks, replaced turbos etc. was enough for me. I'm a family man on the go with two small kids. I need a 3 row SUV to be on the road, not at a dealer being presented with an $8,000 repair bill or at an Indy shop sitting for weeks waiting for parts from Germany.

The Mark Levinson sounds fantastic to me and I have a high end reference audio system in my home. I'm sure the B&O sounds great as well, but not having a spare tire due to the B&O option is a huge dealbreaker especially if you're out in the middle of nowhere with your family.

The GL is a great fun to drive truck, but for my needs and situation would not have been the smart decision.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by WillieMack
I decided that I needed something reliable that was worth keeping long term. The LX is powerful enough and is far more engaging to drive in sport mode (shocks and stabilizer adjusts) than you might initially think. Is it as sporty as a GL550? Not at all, but there were many other factors I looked at.

The LX is not your typical "Lexus". It is a luxury version of the Toyota Landcruiser hand built in Japan in one highest quality factories in the world. These vehicles are built for a 25 year service life. The Alabama assembled GL550 I sat in just didn't feel as solid. Look at online car ads. There's a good reason a 2013 Lexus LX570 still sells for $35,000 with 100,000 miles on the odometer, whereas a 2013 GL550 with 100,000 miles sells for $24,000- $25,000 even though brand new, the GL retailed at least 10k more than the LX. And after a few more years with higher mileage, the value of the GL is peanuts where the LX will still be worth around $20,000. There are far less used LX's for sale because the original owners tend to keep them long-term. It exels offroad, yet is very capable and comfortable on road. The truck is bulletproof. There's a reason Land Cruisers are used by United Nations and NATO forces.

I did my research on both forums. The cost of ownership of the LX blows the GL away. The LX uses Toyota parts and are widely available and service is much easier/cheaper. The LX uses a hydraulic height adjustable suspension with excellent reliability. Frequently I read owners having 200,000 miles of trouble free experience with just tires and regular service. A new OEM shock is $200. The GL uses air shocks which develops leaks and needs replacement as early as 60k-80k. $6000 all 4 new from Mercedes ($3500 remanufactured). I've been through German air suspension ordeals with an Audi. Never again. A complete brake job on a GL550 is at least $1800 and they eat through breaks. Light Truck tires on an LX are $1000 installed every 40k miles. Low Profile tires on a GL550 are $1500 installed every 15k-20k miles.

I read the reliability thread on the GL550 and reading from some members what the warranty paid out for some claims of faulty Active Curve systems, oil and vaccuum leaks, replaced turbos etc. was enough for me. I'm a family man on the go with two small kids. I need a 3 row SUV to be on the road, not at a dealer being presented with an $8,000 repair bill or at an Indy shop sitting for weeks waiting for parts from Germany.

The Mark Levinson sounds fantastic to me and I have a high end reference audio system in my home. I'm sure the B&O sounds great as well, but not having a spare tire due to the B&O option is a huge dealbreaker especially if you're out in the middle of nowhere with your family.

The GL is a great fun to drive truck, but for my needs and situation would not have been the smart decision.
I bought my '13 GL550 a little over 2 years ago with 40k miles. I'm now at 57k miles and the only maintenance I've done to it is front brakes and 2 oil changes. The brakes (OEM rotors, pads, sensor, slides, & hardware) with labor was under $500. Oil changes run me around $70 with labor. I bought a 4 yr warranty for $5k and it hasn't paid out even a cent yet. I wish I would have known this thing would be so darn reliable (knocking on wood), otherwise I wouldn't have spent the money on the warranty. This car has been more reliable so far than any Lexus I've ever owned....and I've had 6 of those over the years, including the '06 ES330 my HS daughter currently drives. New 21" tires are coming this spring....but total costs of the 21" OEM size with installation will be around $800. I cannot argue with you that the 5800 lb GL550 with it's 21" wheels eats tires quickly. But don't expect 40k miles out of a set of LX tires. Those things are very heavy too and will go through tires fairly quickly, but maybe not as fast as the GL because of the LX's smaller wheel size and taller profile.

I did have a full 3 step paint correction and lifetime ceramic coating done for $900 and did purchase after-market 19" wheels shod with Toyo Celsius tires for winter use. I also got an OE Tuning tune for $800 that has this beast pushing out 550 hp and 650 lb/ft of torque that will beat the GL63. But those are just niceties.

Regarding ride, the GL certainly has a more compliant ride with its unibody construction vs the body-on-truck frame LX....yet the GL handles a lot better on the road. Regarding quietness, they are both pretty equal in that department. The 3rd row in the GL is much roomier than the the LX with room for actual adults vs the kids-only/tiny adult seat in the LX. I just wish the GL 2nd row had sliders to allow more leg room for 2nd row passengers. I'd easily sacrifice 3rd row space for more 2nd row leg room. I believe this has been rectified in the new 2020 GLS.

You probably should have actually driven the GL550 instead of just sitting in it. Every Benz, including the GL are significantly more solid than every Lexus ever built. This is an absolute fact. MB over-engineers every vehicle they design and build. While Lexus has built their reputation on Toyota reliability, MB has built theirs on being the most solid and comfortable cars in the world and they have invented and have been the 1st to employ almost every technology you've ever heard of in a car.

I wish you years of pleasure filled driving in your LX. Just don't be disappointed if it doesn't turn out to be everything you've convinced yourself it will be.
The following users liked this post:
gregwang168 (02-06-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Convince Me: 13-14 GL550 or LX570