GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Main Screen Retrofit to 9" with CarPlay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 10:53 AM

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
What resolution setting is everyone using? My screen offers 1-10. (I'm using 9)

Last edited by Chedman13; 12-21-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15 GL450
just finish install my car it's very easy .come with all tools . only need T20
it's seller from NYC, and this system come with BT box . don't need hiding wire to armrest box .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113462494449
Old 12-22-2018, 09:41 PM

I decided to sell mine - so if anyone is interested you can PM me.

The rear view camera is too hard for me to see under bright sunlight and the OEM "hidden" in the dash is what I prefer. I'm not sure if anyone else is having that problem. At night or other situations it's fine.

My kit is like new but obviously installed and used, none of the double stick tape was removed or used for the GPS or bluetooth antenna. Also comes with the Apple CarPlay Module and a custom screen protector (already installed, bubble and dust free). I paid close to a grand (before the prices dropped significantly), so make me a reasonable offer for the kit.

I'm looking for CF or black designo wood trim in case anyone is selling!
Old 12-25-2018, 10:26 AM

2000 ML320
Chedman, I can't believe you're selling. I couldn't imagine going back. It just updates the whole car too much in my opinion. My rear view isn't bad at all, just a bit pixelated. But I am old school and still turn around, and don't look at the rear view screens while backing up in any of my cars. Never got into the habit so I guess I don't notice it as a drawback. Good luck selling, I'm sure someone will take it off your hands.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 142 Likes on 128 Posts
2012 X6 35i Sport, 2013 ML 350 BT, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2020 CRV-AWD
Only issue on this end is that even with the screen protector, looking at the screen with polarised glasses requires that you look squarely at the screen and not too much at an angle. And yeah, a bit pixelated, but not enough for anyone to remark anything.
Sorry to read that you're selling yours, and thanks a ton again for your install tips, both on-line and over the phone!
Old 12-28-2018, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by chriswit1
Chedman, I can't believe you're selling. I couldn't imagine going back. It just updates the whole car too much in my opinion. My rear view isn't bad at all, just a bit pixelated. But I am old school and still turn around, and don't look at the rear view screens while backing up in any of my cars. Never got into the habit so I guess I don't notice it as a drawback. Good luck selling, I'm sure someone will take it off your hands.
Thanks, yeah car looks about 5 years old from going back to OEM screen. Maybe I'll just keep it and put it back on later. I have my phone mounted next to the OEM screen location so only really used the aftermarket screen for reverse camera.

I actually have an faulty 360 camera module so maybe that is adding to my "issues." Getting replaced under CPO warranty - FYI camera is not covered, but module is. Camera was tested and works fine luckily.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by peter2772000
Only issue on this end is that even with the screen protector, looking at the screen with polarised glasses requires that you look squarely at the screen and not too much at an angle. And yeah, a bit pixelated, but not enough for anyone to remark anything.
Sorry to read that you're selling yours, and thanks a ton again for your install tips, both on-line and over the phone!
Ha, no worries - glad it worked out for you and thanks for the tips on where to put the antenna's.

My ideal solution would be mounting the GLE screen and the tabs actually look identical to the aftermarket mount. I just doubt the OEM headunit outputs the correct resolution to the GLE screen vs the OEM screen and don't want to risk trying it.
The following users liked this post:
peter2772000 (12-28-2018)
Old 02-04-2019, 04:33 PM

2013 ML350 BLUETEC/2012 SLK350/2000 C280/1972 28SE

Well after reading all the posts and Chedman13's helpful posts, I went ahead and purchased and installed the 8" unit in my W166. I was surprised that the unit was powered by Android 6.0 instead of the 7.1 the seller advertised. I have contacted him to see if there is an update available and I am waiting for a response. One thing that I was wondering about is the purpose of this cable (see photo). Obiviously it is an audio cable however I can not see were i it would plug in. Any suggestions?

On a different subject, I noticed a few members mentioning the included GPS antennal did not work very well. After moving it around a few times I found that if it is mounted on the underside of the dash above the radio area and about 3-4" away from the speaker I got good reception (even in my garage I got 6 satellites). Hope that helps somebody if they are wondering is it works.

Glenn
Old 02-04-2019, 04:48 PM

Hi Glenn - you connect that to inside the center console. Then you connect the AUX cable from the Android unit to that.

I think it's pointless for you to use - just connect the audio for the Android to the bluetooth of the OEM system.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:43 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I had a feeling was its purpose but I wasn't sure. I'll definitely use the Bluetooth as I am not going to tear everything apart for this after all the fun I had trying to get all the cables stowed so I could put everything back together.

Changing the subject, I noticed that the Comand system now automatically shuts off after one minute whereas before I could keep the radio going for about 15 minutes with the engine switched off. Has anyone else run into this?

Last edited by BenzOwner; 02-04-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:48 PM

Yeah, you have to rip open the middle console, which adds hour(s) to the install. I didn't do it when I had it.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:20 AM

Two issues have cropped up that maybe somebody has already experienced.

1) Pairing the Bluetooth with the Comand system has proven challenging (read: I haven’t been able to get the two to talk to each other). Silence is golden unless you want to use the full capabilities of the system.

2) When mirroring the Comand system on the new unit the navigation view does not really match the scale. When I roll the selector all the way down to the 1/16th of a mile scale the map shown looks more like the 5 mile scale “picture”. The scale on the bottom of the screen indicates correctly but I can not the map down to turn by turn navigation (I can’t get screen below bird’s eye view).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Glenn
Old 02-08-2019, 04:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 142 Likes on 128 Posts
2012 X6 35i Sport, 2013 ML 350 BT, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2020 CRV-AWD
That's part of what pissed me off about this. I bought mine thru Chris The Swede and he seemed to get aggravated when I kept responding that I couldn't get the damn thing to work properly. That peeved me off and he'll never see a dime from me again.

I'll try to find the message from the manufacturer which explains where to go to fix this. You won't believe where they hid the damn "magic menu".I

EDIT: Found it, see the 2nd link, post #81

In the meantime, check out this thread. https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166/708692-w166-comand-9-android-big-touchscreen-w166.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x166/712439-main-screen-retrofit-9-carplay-4.html

Who'd have thunk...

Last edited by peter2772000; 02-08-2019 at 04:56 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 GL550 2006 S55
Originally Posted by BenzOwner
Two issues have cropped up that maybe somebody has already experienced.

1) Pairing the Bluetooth with the Comand system has proven challenging (read: I haven’t been able to get the two to talk to each other). Silence is golden unless you want to use the full capabilities of the system.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Glenn
I was able to get the 9" screen with Android 5.0 to pair via Bluetooth and was happy with the audio quality compared to the aux. I am forced to use aux (sound quality is good) on the 8.4" screen with Android 6/7 because I am unable to get the Bluetooth to work. I asked a knowledgeable seller in China why it doesn't work and he said it was designed to work with the aux.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:14 AM

2013 GL450 2013 GLK350
Hi.

I installed my android screen about a month ago on my 2013 X166 having bought it on ebay from ama-products.
It has been pretty good particularly because i use google maps on it as opposed to the Mercedes oem sat-nav.
However, i am currently am having few problems with it.
Firstly, the android screen occasionally blanks out (dark screen) when i initially start the car even with the radio on. It happens pretty often while reversing and the reverse camera does not come back on until i put the car back in park or drive and then touch the android screen bringing the main menu back on. Touching the screen while the car is still in reverse does not solve the blank out or bring up any menu.
Secondly, my android screen freezes pretty often and show the loading icon for quite a while. This happens even when i am not running several apps.
I would appreciate a solution to these problems or a possible update.
Thanks
Old 03-15-2019, 12:22 AM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
ML350
Originally Posted by Abi Adesanya
Hi.

I installed my android screen about a month ago on my 2013 X166 having bought it on ebay from ama-products.
It has been pretty good particularly because i use google maps on it as opposed to the Mercedes oem sat-nav.
However, i am currently am having few problems with it.
Firstly, the android screen occasionally blanks out (dark screen) when i initially start the car even with the radio on. It happens pretty often while reversing and the reverse camera does not come back on until i put the car back in park or drive and then touch the android screen bringing the main menu back on. Touching the screen while the car is still in reverse does not solve the blank out or bring up any menu.
Secondly, my android screen freezes pretty often and show the loading icon for quite a while. This happens even when i am not running several apps.
I would appreciate a solution to these problems or a possible update.
Thanks
do you have a link to the one you purchased?
i'm currently shopping around for an upgraded screen and would prefer to avoid any that have known problems.

since this is reviving an older thread, how is everyone else who did a screen upgrade doing, any updates since you've had it for a while now? issues/workarounds/warnings?
Old 03-20-2019, 01:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 GL450
I've been lurking on this thread and thanks to all the tips, I ordered the 8.4" screen and installed it tonight. Has anyone else had a problem with the joystick not controlling the OEM screen? When I push the selection buttons on the head unit, the screen changes to the OEM Nav or audio as desired, but once there, I can't actually select or change anything with the joystick. Also, a few people mentioned limited apps being pre-installed and getting an update to fix that. Could someone share that update? Thank you!
Old 03-23-2019, 09:16 AM

2016 GL450
Originally Posted by Sesrie
I've been lurking on this thread and thanks to all the tips, I ordered the 8.4" screen and installed it tonight. Has anyone else had a problem with the joystick not controlling the OEM screen? When I push the selection buttons on the head unit, the screen changes to the OEM Nav or audio as desired, but once there, I can't actually select or change anything with the joystick. Also, a few people mentioned limited apps being pre-installed and getting an update to fix that. Could someone share that update? Thank you!
I got the joystick / command knob to work by switching the jumpers. Unfortunately, I still can't get audio to work - the seller (autohome2013, same seller several others bought through) is telling me that the media interface cable is the only option for audio and that I can't use BT. Unfortunately, I have a Carplay device on order that uses the media interface port... I wasn't expecting to need it for the screen. Has anyone else gotten BT to work on the 8.4" screen? I'm afraid I may be taking it back out and going with something different.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:03 PM

2016 GL450
It appears that this is a dead thread, but if anyone else stumbles across it looking for help, I was not able to get the bluetooth audio output to work after following all of the tips earlier in the thread. It appears that those who did get it to work had the 9" screen, not the 8.4". Unfortunately, I can't find instructions on how to disassemble the center console / armrest on my 2016 GL450 to run the cable from the back of the head unit to the media interface port. The seller is adamant that this is the only option for audio out (despite not referencing or showing the AMI anywhere on his eBay listing), and is no help beyond that.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:19 PM

gl550
Do you know if the bluetooth output doesn't work at all, or is it a compatibly issue? I'm thinking a device like this is another alternative to try:
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-23-2019, 04:42 PM

2016 GL450
Originally Posted by Sang Huynh
Do you know if the bluetooth output doesn't work at all, or is it a compatibly issue? I'm thinking a device like this is another alternative to try: https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Mer...s%2C217&sr=8-6
I am guessing Bluetooth for audio out doesn't work at all. That's not a bad idea, but the primary reason I wanted Bluetooth to work was because I wanted to keep the media interface port open for something else. Nonetheless, I spent the afternoon pulling the cable out through the plastic trim under the dash and running it along the center console to the media interface port just to test and now I can't access the OEM screen at all (and I still don't have audio). I've reached my frustration limit for the day!
Old 03-24-2019, 09:13 AM

E55
So the 9" have had no issues? Or less issues? I am about to purchase, but sounds like more glitches.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:01 AM

2016 GL450
Originally Posted by dawk
So the 9" have had no issues? Or less issues? I am about to purchase, but sounds like more glitches.
I didn't try the 9", so I can't say for certain. Near as I can tell, everyone who got Bluetooth audio out to the OEM radio had a 9" screen (even then, it wasn't seamless). At least one person started with the 9" and exchanged it for the 8.4" screen (OrionS55) - it looks like he only got it to work on the 9". The original poster (Chedman13) had the 9" screen. I went with the 8.4" based on feedback in this forum that the resolution is better, it is faster as it has more processors, and less overlap with the vents. Once I got over the disappointment of Bluetooth audio out not working, I'm content with the purchase. For clarification, bluetooth audio input works fine, so if you connect the provided AMI cable to the media interface port in the armrest center console, you'll be fine. The bugger is getting the aux cable attached to the wiring harness to the center console. I wasn't comfortable disassembling the center console, so I pulled it through a gap in the plastic trim under the dash on the drivers side, tucked it under the plastic along the center console, then ran it up the outside of the arm rest next to the drivers seat and into the console where the armrests lift. Not ideal, maybe one day I'll do it properly, but I didn't immediately see a way to do that without drilling a hole in the compartment where the media interface port is.

The attached photo shows the related posts I referenced when looking for BT info.

Last edited by Sesrie; 03-24-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:29 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
ML350
Originally Posted by Sesrie
I didn't try the 9", so I can't say for certain. Near as I can tell, everyone who got Bluetooth audio out to the OEM radio had a 9" screen (even then, it wasn't seamless). At least one person started with the 9" and exchanged it for the 8.4" screen (OrionS55) - it looks like he only got it to work on the 9". The original poster (Chedman13) had the 9" screen. I went with the 8.4" based on feedback in this forum that the resolution is better, it is faster as it has more processors, and less overlap with the vents. Once I got over the disappointment of Bluetooth audio out not working, I'm content with the purchase. For clarification, bluetooth audio input works fine, so if you connect the provided AMI cable to the media interface port in the armrest center console, you'll be fine. The bugger is getting the aux cable attached to the wiring harness to the center console. I wasn't comfortable disassembling the center console, so I pulled it through a gap in the plastic trim under the dash on the drivers side, tucked it under the plastic along the center console, then ran it up the outside of the arm rest next to the drivers seat and into the console where the armrests lift. Not ideal, maybe one day I'll do it properly, but I didn't immediately see a way to do that without drilling a hole in the compartment where the media interface port is.

The attached photo shows the related posts I referenced when looking for BT info.
Thanks for all your input, I know we are reviving an older thread. I am still shopping around and debating between that 9 or 8" screen. Wanted the 8 for the same reasons you got it, less vent overlap, better resolution, and quicker processing. At the same time I don't want to get one and not have the functions I want (Bluetooth for calls and music, android navigation apps such as waze, all the stock functions such as 360 camera).

Can you link the model/version you purchased?

Also, hearing from everyone there have been issues with Bluetooth and gps on almost all. I see a lot of the kits come with Bluetooth and GPS antennas, but what I'm wondering is, if your car already has Bluetooth and GPS, do the stock cables/antennas just plug in, or do you still have to use the 3rd party Bluetooth and GPS antennas and that's where a lot of people are running into problems?

Sesrie - not sure I'm understanding the Bluetooth comment above (in VS out). In the case of a cell phone, are you able to make/have phone conversations?
Same cell phone case, are you able to play music from your cell phone over Bluetooth?
Old 03-24-2019, 05:13 PM

2016 GL450
Originally Posted by Babukb2
I don't want to get one and not have the functions I want (Bluetooth for calls and music, android navigation apps such as waze, all the stock functions such as 360 camera).
I think you'll have all of those things whether you get the 8.4" or 9"

Can you link the model/version you purchased?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-4-Android...72.m2749.l2649

if your car already has Bluetooth and GPS, do the stock cables/antennas just plug in, or do you still have to use the 3rd party Bluetooth and GPS antennas and that's where a lot of people are running into problems?
Unfortunately, no, it doesn't appear that you can use the car's original GPS or Bluetooth receiver. I'm not sure where the built-in GPS is in my car, but there was nothing obvious that I could unplug and attach to the screen. I haven't had an issue with the GPS antenna that came with the aftermarket screen, but I also didn't try to hide it in the dash.

Sesrie - not sure I'm understanding the Bluetooth comment above (in VS out). In the case of a cell phone, are you able to make/have phone conversations?
Same cell phone case, are you able to play music from your cell phone over Bluetooth?
Ah... good question. For clarification, yes, the screen acts as a bluetooth receiver, so you can connect your phone to it to make calls and listen to music. The problem people are having is with Bluetooth audio out. In other words, how the aftermarket screen sends audio to your car's speakers. In my case, I could connect my phone to the screen via bluetooth and it would appear to be playing music (you could select songs and do all the traditional things), but there was no sound coming from the speakers as I was unable to establish a bluetooth connection from the screen to my car's factory radio, which is what the speakers are connected to. The only way to get audio from any app on the 8.4" aftermarket screen (whether a navigation app, music from your phone, or YouTube) is to connect the AUX cable on the screen's wire harness to the provided AMI cable and plug it into the media interface port on your car. Once that is done, there are some menu options you must set to tell the software the position of the AUX input on the OEM software so that the right source is selected, but then you will be able to use bluetooth to play music from your phone or make calls and have the sound play through your car's audio system. Since a picture is worth 1000 words:

Let me reiterate, though, that this is based on what I have deduced by reading the entire thread... perhaps someone does have it working on the 8.4" screen and I'm just not aware of it.

Last edited by Sesrie; 03-24-2019 at 06:07 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Main Screen Retrofit to 9" with CarPlay