GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Purchase advise 2015 GL 550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 gl550
Purchase advise 2015 GL 550

I am considering a purchase of a 2015 GL550. There are numerous low mileage well equipped models available in my area.

I have never owned a Mercedes before and was wondering if there is any advice y’all could provide prior to making a purchase. The factory warranty will expire within a year. Should I consider purchasing an extended warranty? Where is the best place to purchase at the best price? How about service? Are the recommended service costly? I have also heard the tires are expensive for this model and they wear quickly
Old 07-16-2018, 09:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts
Mayback
Originally Posted by Bhebert449
I am considering a purchase of a 2015 GL550. There are numerous low mileage well equipped models available in my area.

I have never owned a Mercedes before and was wondering if there is any advice y’all could provide prior to making a purchase. The factory warranty will expire within a year. Should I consider purchasing an extended warranty? Where is the best place to purchase at the best price? How about service? Are the recommended service costly? I have also heard the tires are expensive for this model and they wear quickly
I am also looking at same model. Mercedes is like any other European make. High maintenance. Going without warranty is like going without birth control. There’s always a risk. Question is do you have enough disposable cash to cover you when problems occur?

Certified Preowned is way to go. However it comes at a price premium (sometimes 8-10k over non CPO vehicles). I don’t want to overpay neither do I want to get burned by cheapening out.

For warranty, supposedly Jeff Jackson at Tafel Motors gives the best prices jjackson@tafelmotors.com

From what I read on reliability, the GL is no problem free Toyota, neither is it a money pit Range Rover. But it is a heavy full size German SUV with cutting edge technology (at the time), numerous electronics, and air suspension ($$$$). Yes, tires are expensive, but I think if you’re worried about the cost of tires, this is the wrong vehicle for you.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:16 PM

2015 gl550
Thank you for the reply. The examples I have inquired are not CPO but have some factory warranty remaining. We have previously owned an Audi Q7 so I am familiar with the higher costs of scheduled maintenance

i sent Jeff an email to get a quote on an extended warranty. So I will factor that into the budget.

Regarding the 550. Is there any inherent maintenance issues to be aware of? We were also considering a 2017 GLS450 which would be for a similar price.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts
Mayback
Originally Posted by Bhebert449
Thank you for the reply. The examples I have inquired are not CPO but have some factory warranty remaining. We have previously owned an Audi Q7 so I am familiar with the higher costs of scheduled maintenance

i sent Jeff an email to get a quote on an extended warranty. So I will factor that into the budget.

Regarding the 550. Is there any inherent maintenance issues to be aware of? We were also considering a 2017 GLS450 which would be for a similar price.
I don’t own a GL550, but like you am doing my research as well. I’ve owned a BMW 550i(never again!!) Audi A8 (good for 8 years till expected suspension issues) and currently a 2014 ML350 (first Mercedes, good for the year I’ve had it. CPO covered minor items).

A 450 is not even in the same league of SUV as the 550 no matter how much newer the 450 is. I’ve driven both.

I think those that want a 550 are willing to pay the premium (maintenance, unexpected issues) that will arise as a tradeoff to drive this beast. Again, I don’t think they are lemons/money pits, engines and transmissions aren’t failing left and right, but they are not Toyota Landcruiser/Honda Pilots.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:14 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
MB GL450
With the new GLS 450 you get updated infotainment with a larger screen that is tablet type vs in dash. Also comes with apple car play and android auto. New dash material, and steering wheel
I believe the headlights and tail lights are also slightly different
Transmission is 9 speed vs 7 speed in the GL
If you can live without the v8 power, for the same price the 450 would be logical choice for me
Also you can buy the extend warranty before your factory warranty expires. So if you go with the GLS (assuming it is low mileage) don't buy the extended warranty right away. No need to spend that money now. Wait till the factory warranty is about to expire and buy the extended warranty
Service will be expensive. My dealer charge around $250 for A service and 300-350 for B service. I'm going to be due for a rear brake replacement and the quote is $950 for rear brakes, rotors and sensors
Tires are around $250/each or more plus mounting. My OEM Tires lasted for 25k miles. I'm on the second set now
Old 07-18-2018, 03:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'14 GL550 , '79 911SC
I bought a used '15 GL550, and opted for the extended warranty - glad I did; thus far motor and transmission mounts replaced, leak in the coolant line feeding a turbo, one other issue that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Yes the car is tough on tires .... inside wear in particular. Figure you'll get about 15K out of them. I have been pre-purchasing scheduled maintenance knowing that I intend to keep it for a long time (I love it) - saves some $.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:41 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
GL550
I have a 15 GL550 and I've had two minor issues covered by warranty (door lock and auto soft closing mechanism). Besides that, it’s been pretty good. Yes, tires are one of the biggest complaints from all GL owners but, it’s a heavy SUV so it’s expected. As mentioned by LIRS6 there's an inside wear that eats thru the tires. I believe it’s a design flaw on how the truck sits on ground but, what do I know, I just buy tires.

Please do get the extended warranty and find a reputable MB Independent Mechanic. If it’s not covered by your warranty, your Indi will do the same job at a better price.

Besides what I’ve mentioned, the SUV is a wonderful elegant monster, we truly enjoy driving it.
Good luck on your purchase and keep us posted!

Last edited by NaviTimer1; 07-18-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:08 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 - GL 550
Originally Posted by LIRS6
I bought a used '15 GL550, and opted for the extended warranty - glad I did; thus far motor and transmission mounts replaced, leak in the coolant line feeding a turbo, one other issue that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Yes the car is tough on tires .... inside wear in particular. Figure you'll get about 15K out of them. I have been pre-purchasing scheduled maintenance knowing that I intend to keep it for a long time (I love it) - saves some $.

It all depends how you drive and how you take care of the maintenance. For me I changed my tires at 35K these were stock tires on my 2015 GL550 and it was fine just got little noisy and winter was at the corner so I went with the change, else I would have driven more for another 3-4 k miles if it would have been summer.
And about maintenance no matter Toyota or Honda or Mercedes if you do the oil change at half of what Manufacturer recommends you would be good, like I do my oil changes every 6000 miles with only 0W-40 Mobil 1.
I dont have any issues with the Truck and it is sitting @ 40000 Miles now. The only issue I have is the Drivers seat which I feel moves, may be because of my heavy B0TT that I have been struggling with since I bought the car new.
Other than its been going like tank, not sure what is the future but I did ended up purchasing the ELW until 7/100K I feel that is the best warranty you can get, because I been burned 3 times already with CarChex and other big warranty companies, they just want to find a reason to deny the claims, if you need to buy a Mercedes make sure you pay little extra but buy a warranty and from Mercedes you will avoid tons of headache. Those few hundred you saved from 3rd party warranty will gone in just 2 repairs when they come back and say they would only cover 75% or 50% of the repair.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2018, 05:15 PM

2015 gl550
Originally Posted by Dreamszalone
It all depends how you drive and how you take care of the maintenance. For me I changed my tires at 35K these were stock tires on my 2015 GL550 and it was fine just got little noisy and winter was at the corner so I went with the change, else I would have driven more for another 3-4 k miles if it would have been summer.
And about maintenance no matter Toyota or Honda or Mercedes if you do the oil change at half of what Manufacturer recommends you would be good, like I do my oil changes every 6000 miles with only 0W-40 Mobil 1.
I dont have any issues with the Truck and it is sitting @ 40000 Miles now. The only issue I have is the Drivers seat which I feel moves, may be because of my heavy B0TT that I have been struggling with since I bought the car new.
Other than its been going like tank, not sure what is the future but I did ended up purchasing the ELW until 7/100K I feel that is the best warranty you can get, because I been burned 3 times already with CarChex and other big warranty companies, they just want to find a reason to deny the claims, if you need to buy a Mercedes make sure you pay little extra but buy a warranty and from Mercedes you will avoid tons of headache. Those few hundred you saved from 3rd party warranty will gone in just 2 repairs when they come back and say they would only cover 75% or 50% of the repair.

Thanks
Thank you, where did you purchase your extended warranty. I reached out to Jeff Jackson at Tafel motors and he quoted me 7 year either 75k or 100k warranty at $2,128 or $3,275 respectively. I would likely go with the 7/75k

Old 07-20-2018, 07:48 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 GL 550
We've had better experience than reported by many with our 2015 GL550. Other than tires it has been essentially trouble-free. One visit each year on its 'birthday' for annual maintenance and detailing is all that is required. We replaced the tires at two years, but even there we "caught a break" ... MB ate half the cost of the first set of replacement tires. We will likely replace tires again at four years as it appears trying to get long mileage and smooth riding on Continentals is a "lost cause" with this beast!

We're into our 4th year of ownership and it is definitely a 'keeper'. We'll be purchasing a 7/75k extended warranty near the end of our 4th year of ownership. Thanks for the estimates of what that might cost.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 GL450
Just picked up a 2015 GL550 and traded in my 2014 GL350 with 92k miles.

Got MB ELW 7/75K from Jeff Jackson at Tafel motors. Jeff is quick to reply and provides the best pricing. Highly recommend!
The following 2 users liked this post by cchintx:
rominl (07-23-2018), SaniDel (07-21-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 05:45 PM

'14 GL550 , '79 911SC
Originally Posted by Dreamszalone
35K miles???

Does yours not suffer from inside wear? I rotate tires, still couldn't get more than 15K out of the Conti's ... twice. Now on Hankooks.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:14 PM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
14 GL550; 14 E63s
35K miles???

Does yours not suffer from inside wear? I rotate tires, still couldn't get more than 15K out of the Conti's ... twice. Now on Hankooks.
Agreed, at 35k, mine would just be riding on the steel bands!! Like you said, the interior wear is insane on these tires. More than once I had the steel belts exposed and had no idea. The tires on the 550 are its achilles heel.

How are you liking the Hanooks? I refuse to use Pirellis. So Contis it has been for the last 8 years on two different 550's.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:39 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 - GL 550
35K miles???

Inner wear is there but not that bad that I see steel belts popping out and its drivable during summer time, definitely not recommended in Winter\Snow, and I drove sober no aggressive breaking etc and always keep my tire pressure on all 4 at 38Psi. Rotate them at 4000 miles.
I would say I been very lucky with both tires and brakes on my GL550, some people on forum also mentioned going to 40K with the tires that I dont know how.

On side note I did tried Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S Plus which got 50000 mile warranty I used them for 4000 miles it was quite but I wasn't super comfortable that it will go for 35K becaues tire was too soft and smooth, so went and exchanged it with Conti DWS 06 very happy with them, only problem is, it pickups all the small nails etc into the tire because of its aggressive tread wear.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:52 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
16 GL550
Originally Posted by cchintx
Just picked up a 2015 GL550 and traded in my 2014 GL350 with 92k miles.

Got MB ELW 7/75K from Jeff Jackson at Tafel motors. Jeff is quick to reply and provides the best pricing. Highly recommend!
can you give a rough idea how much the extended warranty is? please feel free to pm me instead if you want, appreciate it!

Old 07-24-2018, 08:36 AM

'14 GL550 , '79 911SC
Originally Posted by Shellbmb

How are you liking the Hanooks? I refuse to use Pirellis. So Contis it has been for the last 8 years on two different 550's.
I like them a lot thus far - but have only had them for 4K at this point, so the wear factor is unknown as yet. They are a summer tire only, but I have a winter set-up so not an issue for me.