MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GL Class (X166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x166-173/)
-   -   the X7 is coming ... hmmm serious contender (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x166/724571-x7-coming-hmmm-serious-contender.html)

vivaitalia 10-19-2018 10:56 AM

the X7 is coming ... hmmm serious contender

and the X7 is coming ... hmmmm serious contender ... MB get your act together ...

https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/bmw-x7/first-ever.html

NaviTimer1 10-19-2018 11:55 AM

Yea, very interesting. The X7 would make a great lease, I would not own a BMW for more than 3 years, durability and quality is a different story.

I really hope MB comes out with a homerun, personally, the dash on the 2019 GLE is horrendous and I really hope this is not the same design language for the new GLS.

DC-BENZ 10-19-2018 12:08 PM

I agree. I hope MB offer's captains seats as well. I think the dash display in the newer E class and above trumps what the X7 has.

cadetdrivr 10-19-2018 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The next-gen GLE has been publicly shown and the GLS will follow about a year later. So yes, a new GLS is in the wings.

vivaitalia 10-20-2018 11:43 AM

am I the only one who is disappointed in the center console (where the arm rest is) inefficient design ... sorely disappointed my 2013 GL lack of cup holders and storage compartments (how is it that a small bump out is NOT present in the door storage compartment) ... I often use the center cup holders for my phone and other MISC things ... even a simple slot to drop the phone into nothing big needed, just wide enough to accommodate the widest phone like an iPhone XS Max ... and honestly, why waste the design with the grab handles being bumped up ... and that awkward grill to the right of the large display? ... oh well, have a few more years before I consider my GL replacement ...

carlosamg50 10-22-2018 07:42 AM

I actually like the new GLE interior and do hope the GLS shares it.

BMW X7 is no GLS if you ask me, I've been fortunate enough to own most high end SUV's and some pretty special Bentley's, 911's etc. and my current GL63 AMG is simply the best vehicle Ive ever owned, by a long way. Sure some of the tech isnt as good as it could be in that price range but in terms of presence, usable room inside, drive, noise etc. nothing Ive owned so far matches it.

I owned an X5 several years ago, it honestly felt like a raised 5 series, nothing special at all. Bring on the new 2020 GLS, it will be incredible, especially if they opt for some of the smaller AMG motors to make it a bit more affordable from new :)

skw 10-22-2018 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by vivaitalia (Post 7581800)
am I the only one who is disappointed in the center console (where the arm rest is) inefficient design ... sorely disappointed my 2013 GL lack of cup holders and storage compartments (how is it that a small bump out is NOT present in the door storage compartment) ... I often use the center cup holders for my phone and other MISC things ... even a simple slot to drop the phone into nothing big needed, just wide enough to accommodate the widest phone like an iPhone XS Max ... and honestly, why waste the design with the grab handles being bumped up ... and that awkward grill to the right of the large display? ... oh well, have a few more years before I consider my GL replacement ...

Can't find a good pic right now but the 2019 Ram pickup has a nice and convenient cradle in the lower dash for your phone. It's stands up and is a wireless charger. Surprised it has taken someone this long to come up with an idea like this.

Edit: found it: http://blog.fcaworkvehiclesus.com/20...-charging-pad/

drwolf 10-22-2018 12:39 PM

I always applaud BMW for their touch of style on their car, but after having one for 10 years and the hell i put up with after the 50k mark, i am no longer going their direction. My theory is that yes they have lots of technology in their cars and some would say, hey this puts MB to shame, but at the end of the day who wins reliability. From driving a few mercedes myself (a 89 420SEL, 2003 S430, 2014 E350 and my current) i would say MB wins relability.. just my .02 cents

Axxlrod 10-24-2018 07:23 PM

Strange how different people have vastly different experiences. I've had three 5 series BMWs in the last decade. Never been to the dealer for anything other than the free annual maintenance. Never had a hiccup. However, both my wife's Mercedes GLs have had multiple problems (engine block oil leak, multiple sets of brakes rotors, failed cargo hatch motor, to name a few).

Plus the MB Comand infotainment system is years behind BMW iDrive.

Current GL450 lease is up next April. I doubt the revised GLS will be available by then, so X7 it will be.

drwolf 10-24-2018 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Axxlrod (Post 7585397)
Strange how different people have vastly different experiences. I've had three 5 series BMWs in the last decade. Never been to the dealer for anything other than the free annual maintenance. Never had a hiccup. However, both my wife's Mercedes GLs have had multiple problems (engine block oil leak, multiple sets of brakes rotors, failed cargo hatch motor, to name a few).

Current GL450 lease is up next April. I doubt the revised GLS will be available by then, so X7 it will be.

Well for me the first 5 years of the X5 were great, just routine maintenance that required nothing too crazy. Loved having a free rental for the day too. BMWs are good until 50k i would say, anything above that your just asking for more headache. Sorry to hear about your GLS, BMW changed it as well, its no longer 5 years maintenance

NaviTimer1 10-25-2018 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by vivaitalia (Post 7581800)

I totally agree with the center console, not sure what was the reason behind those handles (they should be on the new G wagon instead).

I guess I'm holding on to my truck a little longer too. Maybe the new style will grow on me, once I see it in person, but right meow its, meh.

Hoosbest 11-03-2018 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Axxlrod (Post 7585397)

Totally agree with you. My 2014 GL450 may be the worst car in history of high end cars I have owned for reliability. I have 60K on the SUV - and things that break on the car shouldn't. Air ducts falling apart, rear air bellows/suspension, leaking struts, coolant system requiring 12 visits and still leaks, and lots more - MB can't compare to build quality as BMW. I have owned 5 different BMWs and never had issues like this MB. I would stay away from a used GL450 like the plague. They just fall apart. I am eagerly waiting the X7 and will be dumping the GL450 quickly. I drove the new GLE as a loaner - the dash is awful. I prefer the setup of my 2014 over what MB is doing on the dash now too.

DaveW68 11-03-2018 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by NaviTimer1 (Post 7581006)
Yea, very interesting. The X7 would make a great lease, I would not own a BMW for more than 3 years, durability and quality is a different story.

I really hope MB comes out with a homerun, personally, the dash on the 2019 GLE is horrendous and I really hope this is not the same design language for the new GLS.

It's an absolute certainty that the dash and interior bits in the upcoming 2020 GLS will be identical to the 2019 GLE. They have shared identical interiors since the GL was introduced for the 2007 model year. The GL/GLS has always been a stretched ML/GLE.

DaveW68 11-03-2018 06:45 PM

If I were currently in the market for a new full size luxury ute, the Navigator would be at the top of the list. IMO, it is several levels better than the GLS, X7, Escalade, and others....and offers the most luxury for the buck.

carlosamg50 11-05-2018 07:36 AM

Pretty much all of the vehicles I've owned have had problems, some of them pretty damn outrageous when you think about the cost of purchase so its par for the course that such high tech high performance will give problems, we would all complain if they made them simpler and less rewarding to drive solely to make them more reliable wouldn't we.

I'm limited for choices in this size and premium here in the UK but for me, having owned all of the options that are really worth considering in my market, only a GLS63 will better my GL63 and that's what I will get next, when prices level off at 3 years plus. Definitely not a Range Rover and most unlikely that Id move back to BMW's, Mercedes has hit it right for me with the styling and branding of its AMG vehicles, nothing comes close.

All customer service, warranty etc. sucks regardless of brand and they all have problems of one sort or another, so I'm happy to put some money into it to get it as good as it can be and to stick with my growling AMG above anything else right now.

Jason B 11-05-2018 02:01 PM

Glad Mercedes is getting rid of that stuck on screen look.

https://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/cr...-32_800x0w.jpg

It never made sense anyway. Automakers did that years ago..

Flyingman 11-05-2018 02:32 PM

I was shopping around to replace my 2014 GL350, but it is a hard vehicle to replace. The X5 is nice but just doesn't have the rear space when you need it. Their 3rd row is ridiculous to try and use. I push a button in my GL350 and whoosh, teenage kids hop right in.

I just noted the X7 coming in Spring 2019. I'm pretty sure it wont offer a diesel version.

And MB doesn't have anything after 2016, which pretty much sucks.

I think we will just hold for two more years and see.

highyo 11-05-2018 02:49 PM

the proportions of the X7 are all off. BMW has always made handsome cars. that looks like a bloated Lexus LX. the tech will be light years ahead of MB's though

vivaitalia 11-05-2018 03:02 PM

interestingly ... the X7 body appears to borrow some lines and shapes of the current GL / GLS ... hehehe

Originally Posted by highyo (Post 7595517)
the proportions of the X7 are all off. BMW has always made handsome cars. that looks like a bloated Lexus LX. the tech will be light years ahead of MB's though

highyo 11-05-2018 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by vivaitalia (Post 7595527)
interestingly ... the X7 body appears to borrow some lines and shapes of the current GL / GLS ... hehehe

um no