GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

X166 GL550 - how to disassembly front seat headrest?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 09:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Mercedes Benz, BMW
X166 GL550 - how to disassembly front seat headrest?

I need to disassembly driver's seat headrest to repair inside moving parts. This kind of headrest that has a mechanical button on a side and can be moved toward the head and back. I just need to remove the rear cover. I was able easily unclip everything except the top part. Something is holding it pretty hard and I puzzled to find out what it is. There is no WIS instructions for that and it is a rare type of work. I assume it should be easy if you know what to do. Please share what can be holding it and how successfully remove it. Thank you in advance!
Old 11-05-2018, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLS 550
i don think you can do this and my tech told me it actually takes a long time in the shop. really shtty design if you ask me
Old 11-05-2018, 09:44 PM

Mercedes Benz, BMW
Originally Posted by highyo
i don think you can do this and my tech told me it actually takes a long time in the shop. really shtty design if you ask me
Thank you for trying to help! It is unfortunate but it stacked in the position where it makes my head to be in a very uncomfortable position and I really need to fix it. It stacked in the upper sliding point. The bottom part of the cover was very easy to unclip. I just needed to push out the cover with little force. Since it made with these clipping techniques at the bottom, I assume it meant to be removable. Can you at least tell me what is holding it on the top part? Thank you again!
Old 11-06-2018, 07:15 AM

2018 GLS 550
Originally Posted by vladc77
Thank you for trying to help! It is unfortunate but it stacked in the position where it makes my head to be in a very uncomfortable position and I really need to fix it. It stacked in the upper sliding point. The bottom part of the cover was very easy to unclip. I just needed to push out the cover with little force. Since it made with these clipping techniques at the bottom, I assume it meant to be removable. Can you at least tell me what is holding it on the top part? Thank you again!
i have no idea how to remove it. and my service guy said it's a big job so im not even going to bother, just will have them fix it when i get my oil changed
Old 11-07-2018, 12:03 AM

Mercedes Benz, BMW
I got it. Thank you for sharing!
Old 11-07-2018, 01:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Mercedes GL550
I'm glad you were able to get it. Can you share how you did it? I'm having some trouble with the headrest as well and would like to take it apart and try to find the problem.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:07 PM

Mercedes Benz, BMW
Originally Posted by PTCBenz
I'm glad you were able to get it. Can you share how you did it? I'm having some trouble with the headrest as well and would like to take it apart and try to find the problem.
Oh no, I am still looking for ways to disassembly it. I meant that I got that Highyo will not be able to share with the tips on how to do it.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Mercedes GL550
OK, too bad. I tried to get mine last night and I can't get anything to unclip at all. Did you just pull at the bottom? I assume you pulled the leather part towards the front of the vehicle? Or where you pulling the plastic part rearward?
Old 11-08-2018, 10:54 AM

Mercedes Benz, BMW
In my case, I just needed to push out the rear plastic cover. these were unclipped easily. However, I have not way to unclip something on the top. We may have different headrests. There are a few of them. Mine is with part number: 16697037507J95
Old 07-19-2022, 08:31 PM

2014 GL63 AMG
The passenger headrest got jammed in the forward position after the kids knocked it around, to disassemble, sit in the backseat, pull firmly on the lower portion of the headrest in between the posts. Once the the bottom is pulled back, use a long flathead screwdriver or narrow trim took to go straight up the middle toward to reach a tab at the top of the plastic. There is a tab inserted from the headrest frame into the plastic housing. If you press firmly with the trim tool after finding the tab, the plastic cover will slide right off. In the alternative, pull till it breaks. Once inside you will see two small tabs holding the headrest in the forward position, use the trim tool to gently pry then towards the backseat, and you're back in business.
Old 09-06-2023, 01:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W212
W212 broken headrest repair

Hi. I did a similar repair without requiring any disassembly. See pictures.

The following 2 users liked this post by markryans:
oldmangrimes (09-06-2023), vladc77 (09-06-2023)