MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GL Class (X166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x166-173/)
-   -   Costco Tire Options: Michelin or Bridgestone (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x166/730746-costco-tire-options-michelin-bridgestone.html)

vivaitalia 12-20-2018 11:31 AM

Costco Tire Options: Michelin or Bridgestone

Yes, I prefer to go through Costco and just leave it at that ... that said, advice on whether the extra money is merited on the Michelin ??? my GL450 is 99% driven in the state of Florida so I'm entertaining summer tires year round, the Michelin's Latitude Sport ... Thanks in Advance

drwolf 12-20-2018 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by vivaitalia (Post 7634748)
Yes, I prefer to go through Costco and just leave it at that ... that said, advice on whether the extra money is merited on the Michelin ??? my GL450 is 99% driven in the state of Florida so I'm entertaining summer tires year round, the Michelin's Latitude Sport ... Thanks in Advance

did the same thing, no shame in that, i bought the michelin and its well worth it and its not that expensive, assuming you do 2 at a time

novae500 12-20-2018 02:35 PM

can't go wrong with Costco when they have the $.01 deals and $120 off installations...

maneesh 12-20-2018 03:30 PM

I bought Michelins off ebay and had those installed at Costco. I gave them my "flower" lug nut socket just in case. It looks like they did not have their own so they did use mine. Also, they did strip one of the lug nuts in the rear passenger the first time. I went to the dealer, bought one for $16 and had them remove the old stripped lug nut and put the new one in.

All in all, very happy with the Michelins. No vibrations like the factory Pirelli.

kombifan 12-20-2018 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by vivaitalia (Post 7634748)

you didn't mention what size you are. 20" or 19.
Which Bridgestone?

Michelin will wear out the fastest. It starts at 10/32 vs 11/32 or more for other brands.

I like my pirelli scorpion verde plus. Good mileage warranty. Rides well and if you buy from tire rack they have a great Road hazard warranty.
No issues like the oem pirelli scorpion tires.

Try out size 275 55 20 too for more choice and cheaper options.

captivabenz 12-21-2018 06:46 AM

Costco has always been excellent for me and priced right. One can schedule the install and tire rotation, and shop while they are working.
Michellin tires are my choice, Not really that more expensive than other brands, and high quality.

vivaitalia 12-21-2018 11:06 AM

GOAL: best traction possible (to cut through the waters) in the heavy downpours that us Southwest Floridians get in the rainy summer hurricane season ... having re-adapted (from a BMW 750LXI sedan) back to a large SUV, willing to sacrifice longer tread wear for softer, quieter, best water traction possible ... no longer spirited driver as when younger, but need some quick maneuvering giving the demographics of drivers in my neck-of-the-woods ... lol

CURRENT Tire: 275/50/R20 - Perrelli Scorpion Verde All Season

Costco Choices (very limited in the 275):
- Michelin Latitude Sport - Summer (rated 20,000 miles ... ughhhh )
- Michelin Primacy Tour - All Season (rated 55,000 miles ... ooooo )
- Bridgestone Dueler HL 400 - All Season Runflats (DK rated miles

Originally Posted by kombifan (Post 7635027)

you didn't mention what size you are. 20" or 19.
Which Bridgestone?

Michelin will wear out the fastest. It starts at 10/32 vs 11/32 or more for other brands.

I like my pirelli scorpion verde plus. Good mileage warranty. Rides well and if you buy from tire rack they have a great Road hazard warranty.
No issues like the oem pirelli scorpion tires.

Try out size 275 55 20 too for more choice and cheaper options.

kombifan 12-21-2018 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by vivaitalia (Post 7635639)
GOAL: best traction possible (to cut through the waters) in the heavy downpours that us Southwest Floridians get in the rainy summer hurricane season ... having re-adapted (from a BMW 750LXI sedan) back to a large SUV, willing to sacrifice longer tread wear for softer, quieter, best water traction possible ... no longer spirited driver as when younger, but need some quick maneuvering giving the demographics of drivers in my neck-of-the-woods ... lol

CURRENT Tire: 275/50/R20 - Perrelli Scorpion Verde All Season

Costco Choices (very limited in the 275):
- Michelin Latitude Sport - Summer (rated 20,000 miles ... ughhhh )
- Bridgestone Dueler HL 400 - All Season Runflats (DK rated miles

I found some options for you in 275-55-20 for you.

you should check availability at Costco.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

Check the tire review section for test results and what you think is most important in dry wet snow etx.
All the ones I listed have 8.0+ in hydroplaining resistance.

chinhster 12-23-2018 09:29 AM

I had the LTX which had a 60K warranty and only got 20K out of them before they got down to 4/32”. Warranty only kicks in at 2/32” which is nuts if they expect you to drive them down to that. I will never buy Michelins based on their mileage warranty.

captivabenz 12-24-2018 06:24 AM

Wear bar indicators are at 2/32 “, which is the indicator to replace your tires.

Most important, rotation of replacement tires must be at least every 6-8,000 miles, or the warranty could be voided.

Boraxo 01-11-2019 04:22 PM

OEM Pirellli handle well but shot at 25k - unacceptable. Will try Michelin as many seem to like them and they do have treadwear warranty. Also Costco adds free road hazard warranty which cost $$$ at others like BigO and Wheel Works.
Bridgestone are crap would never buy them again. Poor handling and tread was shot at 40k - exactly the length of the warranty!

vivaitalia 01-12-2019 09:12 AM

Decided against the summer tires (hot weather here in SWFL would've just melt them even more) and going with Michelin Primacy Tour - All Season (according to Costco rep, Michelin's newest all season tires) ... hope to report on them when installed ... safe roading

vivaitalia 01-17-2019 10:34 AM

NOT the prettiest tires, but they ride nice, quiet, and smooth ... probably stark difference b/c I rode the OEM perelli to dangerously bald levels ...

DaveW68 01-17-2019 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by vivaitalia (Post 7656620)
NOT the prettiest tires, but they ride nice, quiet, and smooth ... probably stark difference b/c I rode the OEM perelli to dangerously bald levels ...

Those are OK tires. Just don't expect any more life out of those than you got with the Pirellis. Our trucks burn through tires quick, no matter what brand or performance level you choose.