MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GL Class (X166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x166-173/)
-   -   2014 GL550 front Windshield Replacement at the Dealer Need HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x166/732510-2014-gl550-front-windshield-replacement-dealer-need-help.html)

andrewk-S550 01-10-2019 12:33 PM

2014 GL550 front Windshield Replacement at the Dealer Need HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I have 2014 GL550 VIN 4JGDF7DE9EA406502

Windshield got cracked by road hazard.... Ordered new one from the dealer, per the VIN #, was given part # 166-670-10-01, got it replaced, looks great, but.....

and here is my question. I am 110% sure my old windshield (which I can not look at now, since it got disposed of) had IR coating with 3 spots for tollbooth devices, 2 on both side of the rear view mirror and one on the bottom.

windshield received does not have that. Every MB parts department I called give me the same part # 166-670-10-01 which does not have this feature.

does your GL550 have standard IR coating? It seams that in the manual it has (and its a standard feature), so why is my dealer (and everybody else) says I do not?

anybody with access to decoding VIN to see what was originally on my car?

and how about your GL550, do you have it? (in US of course)

thank you all for help,

attached is a copy from the manual, clearly it does not list it as option for 2014 GL550 but a standard feature.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7fa1be5575.png

DaveW68 01-10-2019 02:03 PM

When I had my S600, the IR coating was obvious under certain ambient lighting as there was a greenish blue hue to it and you could see the 3 spots (windows) that did not have the coating at certain angles. On my GL550, I've never noticed any tint as the windshield looks perfectly clear. The IR coating is obviously clear on ours, so you likely have the correct windshield if it's an OEM part.

andrewk-S550 01-10-2019 02:09 PM

Still confused.

Thank you for your input, so you have GL550? which year?
milion dollar question, why does the manual says we have this? and does not list it as option?
I know its little late now, but I would bet my windshield had this coating, I remember the "cut outs" for the I-Pass transponder
Anyone can shine some light on the OEM specs? why does the manual mention it?

DaveW68 01-10-2019 02:23 PM

I have a 2013 and my owner's manual shows the same thing as yours. Your new windshield likely has the coating since it's OEM....but now it's clear unlike older Benz models that have it. I believe it is standard equipment, so there wouldn't be an "option" listed for it.

kombifan 01-10-2019 11:17 PM

The part number you mentioned is the updated version.

You probably had the old one as follows. 166-670-09-01

the newer one probably has some updates that make it different to what you were used to.

black06c230 01-11-2019 12:13 AM

What was the cost to replace? Damaged our and insurance company giving us issues requesting OEM glass saying they need 3 estimates and we would have to pay the over for the sho we want to use.

DRTYLNDY 01-11-2019 08:53 AM

Must be in the air, just had my windshield replaced on my 2013 GL550. I decided to not use the dealer this time and used a reputable local glass company. The last time I had the dealer replace glass on a S500 they called in the very same company so I figured I would save a step. I did also decide to not pay for the MB layer of of costs and purchased the same glass from the same manufacturer. All is good and "knock on wood" I am pleased with the outcome.
Out the door I paid $775.
I also looked for these "cut outs" and couldn't see a thing at all.
Johan

kombifan 01-11-2019 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by DRTYLNDY (Post 7651388)
Must be in the air, just had my windshield replaced on my 2013 GL550. I decided to not use the dealer this time and used a reputable local glass company. The last time I had the dealer replace glass on a S500 they called in the very same company so I figured I would save a step. I did also decide to not pay for the MB layer of of costs and purchased the same glass from the same manufacturer. All is good and "knock on wood" I am pleased with the outcome.
Out the door I paid $775.
I also looked for these "cut outs" and couldn't see a thing at all.
Johan

lol

Here too. Just replaced it on my 2010 gl450 on Monday with the meecedes ir and solar reflective windshield.

885 out the door.

+1 on the cutouts. Wouldn't know where to see them without looking at the book

BlownV8 01-11-2019 09:02 PM

I don't usually say this about MB factory parts but the factory windshield is 100x better than the aftermarket replacements. After many broken windshields in a relatively short time, I showed them how long the factory one lasted before it needed a replacement and they agreed to pay the difference. I said, "you can keep replacing these cheap ones every 6 months to a year or replace with a factory unit that will last more than 5 years." The factory windshield is stronger so I feel a little safer behind it than the cheap replacements. After many years, the factory one develops micro chips that start to hinder sight in bright light but they rarely crack from a rock hit like the cheap ones.

andrewk-S550 01-11-2019 11:09 PM

that is wrong forum, you have ..... forget it.

andrewk-S550 01-11-2019 11:15 PM

Am I at the wrong place?

So, I am starting to think I am at the wrong place. This is a forum for X166 GL Mercedes Benz Car? more specifically ones made from 2013 and on, with some people here have 550 (GL550) model, to be exact.

Can I kindly ask those that have this car, (which is 2013 and up GL550) in the USA, with original windshield to see if the have the IR coating and these 3 special spots for wireless tollbooth transmitter.

a picture would be just icing on the cake.

pretty please????????

DaveW68 01-12-2019 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by andrewk-S550 (Post 7652037)
So, I am starting to think I am at the wrong place. This is a forum for X166 GL Mercedes Benz Car? more specifically ones made from 2013 and on, with some people here have 550 (GL550) model, to be exact.

Can I kindly ask those that have this car, (which is 2013 and up GL550) in the USA, with original windshield to see if the have the IR coating and these 3 special spots for wireless tollbooth transmitter.

a picture would be just icing on the cake.

pretty please????????

The X166 platform encompasses the GL/GLS/ML/GLE 350/450/550/63 models from 2013 to present. The ML/GLE is basically a stretched GL/GLS. This forum is specific to the GL models, but most questions asked in this forum apply to all models as they have most of the same parts/part numbers.

The IR coating is clear on all of them. The first post shows where you can place transponders like radar detectors and iPass devices so the signal can get through the windshield.

andrewk-S550 01-12-2019 02:26 PM

Great thank you for further explaining what this forum is. Very nice. Thank you again.
Let's get back on the subject again before getting side tracked.

Does anyone here have GL550? US version with IR coating and maybe some pictures please.
Anyone can decode VIN and see if its standard or optional? Just look at my original post, not the replies which take this in completely different direction.

thank you all

DaveW68 01-12-2019 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by andrewk-S550 (Post 7652504)
Great thank you for further explaining what this forum is. Very nice. Thank you again.
Let's get back on the subject again before getting side tracked.

Does anyone here have GL550? US version with IR coating and maybe some pictures please.
Anyone can decode VIN and see if its standard or optional? Just look at my original post, not the replies which take this in completely different direction.

thank you all

You won't find it in the "options" list as the IR glass windshield is standard on "ALL" x166 class vehicles. You can easily confirm this by calling the parts department at your local MB dealer. Be prepared to have your VIN available as they won't usually tell you anything without it.

And it's pretty easy to tell who has a GL550 by looking below their names....like I can tell that you have a 2014 GL550.

black06c230 01-12-2019 05:15 PM

Can get data card information from datamb.com