MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GL Class (X166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x166-173/)
-   -   GL450 shift lever stuck in park (https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x166/732665-gl450-shift-lever-stuck-park.html)

Fatarse 01-11-2019 11:38 PM

GL450 shift lever stuck in park

Having problems moving our 2013 GL when using the push button. Sometimes it goes into gear, but other times it will just stay in park (won't engage drive or reverse). Just bought a new push button yesterday, but same intermittent problems. Using the key, the vehicle will always go into drive/reverse...any thoughts?

fabbrisd1 01-12-2019 01:31 AM

Keyless button turns engine on - then with engine on you can shift gears - so is the issue actually non-start ?

Fatarse 01-12-2019 10:10 AM

Keyless push button will start the engine, and sometimes shift into gear, but sometimes just stays in park. When it's stuck in park, I turn the engine off, then restart the engine with the key in the ignition to get it to shift into gear. It always works with the key, but has had intermittent success with the push button.

kombifan 01-12-2019 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Fatarse (Post 7652261)
Keyless push button will start the engine, and sometimes shift into gear, but sometimes just stays in park. When it's stuck in park, I turn the engine off, then restart the engine with the key in the ignition to get it to shift into gear. It always works with the key, but has had intermittent success with the push button.

how is your battery voltage?

It might be your auxiliary battery

Have you ever replaced either?

Fatarse 01-12-2019 01:42 PM

Not sure about the auxiliary battery, but main battery was replaced in fall of 2017. I'll ask the shop to test when we take it in next week

Tirgoman 01-12-2019 02:18 PM

Could be the brake light switch, car won't go into gear unless it's pushed. On a previous C300 my wife had if it sat for while the brake booster lost vacuum and she would have to push real hard on the brake peddle to depress it enough so that the brake light switch was activated. This was random unless we figured it out, and on a basically brand new car. They adjusted the brake light switch to fix the issue.

kombifan 01-12-2019 02:19 PM

How handy are you?

It's not worth the diagnosis fee

kvn 02-24-2019 05:15 PM

Did you ever find out the gear shifting issue? If you don’t mind to share how you resolved it. My brother ML350 just have the same issue like you described.

Fatarse 02-24-2019 05:47 PM

Main battery is testing low, so I'm waiting to replace both batteries to see if that does the trick.

Fatarse 03-07-2019 07:32 PM

No more issues with the new battery

kombifan 03-07-2019 08:12 PM

Awesom . You replaced both?

Fatarse 03-07-2019 08:19 PM

Correct. Both the main and auxiliary battery

kvn 03-07-2019 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Fatarse (Post 7700038)

My brother also confirmed that after charging up the battery on his ML350, he doesn’t experience intermittent the locking issue anymore.

angelglo 04-03-2020 08:58 PM

So, im getting the same problem also. Push button will start but will not shift and its intermittent. This usually happens the first start-up of the day. But.... when I use the key, it will start and shift into park or reverse. I did change the aux battery but I guess I have to take a look at the main battery. This seems strange to why this would happen with with the push button start and the key.

vivaitalia 04-06-2020 09:48 AM

well this is coincidentally odd ... about 5 days ago, engine started with the push of button, but gear did not engage ... turned engine off waited 15 seconds and started engine again ... nothing ... shut engine off got out of car, shut the door, 15 seconds and got back in car and started engine, still couldn't engage the gears (freaking out at this point) ... shut off, out of the car, "LOCKED" the car, waited about 30 seconds, unlocked car, turned engine on, and voila, gears engaged .... so if the battery can power the starter and alternator and i'm up and running after a few tries, what could be the connection to the batteries ??? perhaps the slightest drop in voltage might have affected just the gear changing mechanism, circuitry, whatamacall it ??? I'm thinking that this will happen again for me ... hmmmm

kvn 04-08-2020 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by angelglo (Post 8022359)
So, im getting the same problem also. Push button will start but will not shift and its intermittent. This usually happens the first start-up of the day. But.... when I use the key, it will start and shift into park or reverse. I did change the aux battery but I guess I have to take a look at the main battery. This seems strange to why this would happen with with the push button start and the key.

My brother replaced the main battery and everything is back to normal

angelglo 04-16-2020 05:08 PM

I haven't done it yet but that will be my next thing to do is replace the main battery.

vivaitalia 06-01-2020 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Fatarse (Post 7700038)

Can you share details of the the two batteries you replaced? where did you get the batteries, which type of batteries? Thanks,

Gill Senderov 06-04-2020 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by vivaitalia (Post 8071159)
Can you share details of the the two batteries you replaced? where did you get the batteries, which type of batteries? Thanks,

Personally, got mine here, where your warranty will be 4 yrs instead of 3. Excellent battery & don't forget to use the 10% coupon.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli49agm

https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...ra/slaa12=1.3f

Alternatively, if you have a Sam's Club membership (you can get one online for $20-$40), but as far as I recall, they carry only the Main battery.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/auto-grou...ee/prod9510087