GL63 AMG and GLS63 (X166, X167) 2014 - present (Two generations)

"Bugs" in my 2015 GL63?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wishfull
"Bugs" in my 2015 GL63?

I have a new (to me) GL63 and while I love the performance, I've noticed a few things I'll call design bugs that really annoy me. I'm posting these here to see if there are fixes that I'm not aware of that other owners can suggest.

1) The Homelink garage opener on the rearview mirror only works when the car is on? All my other cars that have Homelink integrated openers, the buttons work regardless of the car being powered or not. I park my GL63 in the driveway but still want to use the Homelink to open the garage even though I'm not parking inside. I think this is a design flaw.

2) The back-up reverse camera doesn't come on automatically if the radio isn't on? This makes no sense to be designed this way. The camera and display should come on automatically when shifted into reverse regardless of on/off state of the radio.

3) Radio presets. Is there really only 10 presets allowed per Radio band (AM/FM/SAT)? I enjoy SAT radio and I regularly listen to probably 20 different stations as I spend 2hrs / day in the GL. Having only 10 presets per band is driving me nuts.

4) Rear Tailgate. The rear hatch doesn't open/close via the SmartKey remote when the engine is running? Is this another design flaw? I regularly pull up to the front of the supermarket/store, to pick-up the Mrs. and want to pop and close he hatch for her. My GM SUV's allowed this, and required the truck to be shifted into park (logical safety control), but to not be able to do this in a GL63 seems silly.

I'd appreciate any other perspectives/solutions. The reality is these are small things but as this is my first Mercedes product I would have thought the design and thought of engineering would blow me away, and these things all make me feel that the MB isn't the exceptional product I thought it would be.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:35 PM

2015 GL63, 2014 SQ5
15 GL "bugs"

I have driven four Audis prior to my 15GL63.
My 2010 Q7 had more advanced electronics and displays. Probably even more advanced than the upcoming 2017 GL.

1) All my Audis had to have the vehicle on for Homelink to work. (The Audis also had dedicated homelink buttons well lit on the roof.) Not really a bug but it bugs me too.
2) This is a design and safety flaw.
3) I don't listen to more than 10 stations on each band so I did not notice.
But I did notice that it takes several steps to get to the screen showing the name of the song playing on an other SAT station on the display prior to actually changing the station. That bugs me.
4) I can open and close the hatch with the car off by using the switch on the door.
(I don't recall what the Audis did)

This is my first MB as well. However, the AMG engine- performance and sound - is f---ing incredible! So much so that all else is minuscule.

Only if we could drop the AMG engine in the new 2017 Audi Q7.
That would be near perfection..............
Old 03-15-2016, 09:43 AM

Mercedes GL63 AMG
Have you guys seen on your GL's the drivers side headlight is dimmer then the passenger side? Like when you follow a vehicle and the reflection of the beam from the passenger headlight is much brighter? Let me know because it's bugging me a lot!
Old 03-16-2016, 12:17 PM

2015 GL63, 2014 SQ5
I believe Factory DOT settings has the driver side headlight slightly lower than the passenger side. This helps the oncoming traffic at night. Drive up at night and park face on to a flat, dark surface. Get out of the vehicle and take a look at the wall. You may notice a slight difference of height of low beam.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:44 PM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
whilst parked and running (or in drive) you can reach down onto the lower door and open the tail lid .. easier than pulling your keys out of your pocket while sitting in the driver seat.

* needing 20 stations is a lot.. if you like so many.. just hit the advance button and you will probably hit your next favorite.
* I don't need my garage accessible by somebody simply hitting my button on the mirror.. kids or strangers....
* I sorta find it annoying that the command system has to be on to get the rear camera.. unless I was in "stealth" mode and I didn't want the whole cabin lit up at night!

your niggles are about as annoying as being upset that Giselle's second toe was not longer than her big toe....
Old 03-17-2016, 11:05 PM

Wishfull
@cyclrdr...Did that creep you out about her toes too? That and her ****ty taste in football players/teams and I had to drop her like a bad habit!!

I fully acknowledge these are silly, but for a $100k ride they shouldn't exist at all. I was hoping someone else would tell me I've done something wrong and can fix my bug-a-boos.

�� Guess not.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:15 PM

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
My minivan does allow garage opener without the key - which Cyclrder made aware to me that this is not a great safety feature, but 99% of the time my car is in the garage.

My minivan also turns on the rearview camera regardless of whether the radio/system is on. Any it also remembers that I left on my rear entertainment system and automatically turns - where my GL I have to turn on both left and right, then turn on the command, then activate the rear.

The touch screen is also more user friendly.

I am surprised how much more user friendly and intuitive my minivan is compared to my GL, but figure Mercedes will get there as the vehicle itself overall is light years ahead of the minivan.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:52 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by gdfein
I have a new (to me) GL63 and while I love the performance, I've noticed a few things I'll call design bugs that really annoy me. I'm posting these here to see if there are fixes that I'm not aware of that other owners can suggest.

1) The Homelink garage opener on the rearview mirror only works when the car is on? All my other cars that have Homelink integrated openers, the buttons work regardless of the car being powered or not. I park my GL63 in the driveway but still want to use the Homelink to open the garage even though I'm not parking inside. I think this is a design flaw.

2) The back-up reverse camera doesn't come on automatically if the radio isn't on? This makes no sense to be designed this way. The camera and display should come on automatically when shifted into reverse regardless of on/off state of the radio.

3) Radio presets. Is there really only 10 presets allowed per Radio band (AM/FM/SAT)? I enjoy SAT radio and I regularly listen to probably 20 different stations as I spend 2hrs / day in the GL. Having only 10 presets per band is driving me nuts.

4) Rear Tailgate. The rear hatch doesn't open/close via the SmartKey remote when the engine is running? Is this another design flaw? I regularly pull up to the front of the supermarket/store, to pick-up the Mrs. and want to pop and close he hatch for her. My GM SUV's allowed this, and required the truck to be shifted into park (logical safety control), but to not be able to do this in a GL63 seems silly.

I'd appreciate any other perspectives/solutions. The reality is these are small things but as this is my first Mercedes product I would have thought the design and thought of engineering would blow me away, and these things all make me feel that the MB isn't the exceptional product I thought it would be.
1- as designed. all you have to do is push the start button once (accessories position 1) and homelink should work
2 - correct. it bugs me too
3 - yup
4- i believe this behavior can be (re)coded

on headlights- in right-hand side traffic the right headlight points higher and the left points lower. this is as designed.

hope this helps