GL63 AMG and GLS63 (X166, X167) 2014 - present (Two generations)

Deal or no deal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 10:32 AM

Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts
‘22 Ram Limited 4x4, '21 GLE63S, ‘14 Corvette Stingray
Deal or no deal?

Hi guys I’m brand new to the forum!

A couple years ago I used to lurk here on the C class section as I was a fan of the new model and was in the market for a C 43 but ended up going to Audi and opted for a bigger car.

A couple of days ago we turned in the wife’s lease. She had a 2015 GLK 350 that she picked up back in her single days. The car was very good and we didn’t have any issues with it and I personally was a big fan of the 4matic system up here in the Northland and felt that the car was u stoppable when put on snow tires. The reason we didn’t want to hold on to it is the size. We need something bigger now that we got married and have a baby and dogs and all that.

We were gonna take a few months to decide on the next family SUV. I’ve wanted her to consider the GLE63, X5M but her heart was set on the new Range Rover. Anyways, as we were finalizing the lease turn in paperwork I ran into our original salesman and he showed me this 2015 GL63. 31k Miles. Black on black. Offered as CPO with two year warranty and two year pre paid service. Asking $68k. I had my wife look at it and she was very impressed with the vehicle. He wanted us to drive and talk deal but I had a meeting to go to and asked to return next week. He didn’t think the car would be available by then but I wasn’t too worried. I wasn’t ready to make a purchase on the spot and felt I needed to research it and take my time. If it sells in the meantime I wish the future owner all the best but a transaction like this I was not going to do under pressure.

Anyways, trying to get to the point I promise! I have a couple of concerns hoping y’all would help me with. Looking at the original window sticker it seems this was more of a “stripper” GL63 if you can get away with calling a $120k+ car that. I historically have never fancied black exterior, since I’ve felt it hides the design elements but here it doesn’t bother that much. Same for interior, Black is a bit claustrophobic but with the Nappa leather and contrast stitching it actually looks nice. Anyways here are a couple questions:

1. Any major issues with these trucks I should be looking out for? Any thing to look out for at the test drive? I am not a wencher, and the last used car I’d purchased was a $1000 ‘95 Oldsmobile with 180k miles on it and I’ve only had new cars since.
2. Is the Harman Kardon system any good?
3. Price wise any thoughts?
4. Would I be happier spending more on a GLS? Any dramatic hanged between the two that would affect the ownership?

Thank you so much if you’ve made it this far and appreciate your help.

Cheers!
Dunga
Old 05-12-2018, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Originally Posted by Dunga
Hi guys I’m brand new to the forum!

A couple years ago I used to lurk here on the C class section as I was a fan of the new model and was in the market for a C 43 but ended up going to Audi and opted for a bigger car.

A couple of days ago we turned in the wife’s lease. She had a 2015 GLK 350 that she picked up back in her single days. The car was very good and we didn’t have any issues with it and I personally was a big fan of the 4matic system up here in the Northland and felt that the car was u stoppable when put on snow tires. The reason we didn’t want to hold on to it is the size. We need something bigger now that we got married and have a baby and dogs and all that.

We were gonna take a few months to decide on the next family SUV. I’ve wanted her to consider the GLE63, X5M but her heart was set on the new Range Rover. Anyways, as we were finalizing the lease turn in paperwork I ran into our original salesman and he showed me this 2015 GL63. 31k Miles. Black on black. Offered as CPO with two year warranty and two year pre paid service. Asking $68k. I had my wife look at it and she was very impressed with the vehicle. He wanted us to drive and talk deal but I had a meeting to go to and asked to return next week. He didn’t think the car would be available by then but I wasn’t too worried. I wasn’t ready to make a purchase on the spot and felt I needed to research it and take my time. If it sells in the meantime I wish the future owner all the best but a transaction like this I was not going to do under pressure.

Anyways, trying to get to the point I promise! I have a couple of concerns hoping y’all would help me with. Looking at the original window sticker it seems this was more of a “stripper” GL63 if you can get away with calling a $120k+ car that. I historically have never fancied black exterior, since I’ve felt it hides the design elements but here it doesn’t bother that much. Same for interior, Black is a bit claustrophobic but with the Nappa leather and contrast stitching it actually looks nice. Anyways here are a couple questions:

1. Any major issues with these trucks I should be looking out for? Any thing to look out for at the test drive? I am not a wencher, and the last used car I’d purchased was a $1000 ‘95 Oldsmobile with 180k miles on it and I’ve only had new cars since.
2. Is the Harman Kardon system any good?
3. Price wise any thoughts?
4. Would I be happier spending more on a GLS? Any dramatic hanged between the two that would affect the ownership?

Thank you so much if you’ve made it this far and appreciate your help.

Cheers!
Dunga
ok I have had a 2014 GL63 and now a 2017 GLS 63. In my opinion, the car is a fantastic drive for the size and weight. I have no experience with the RR to compare so I’ll stick with issues to look for.
360 camera is awful at night.
The car eats through rear brake pad and rotor very quickly 5-8k miles
same with oe tires, there is a different continent option that lasts quite longer.
HK unit is really nice for a factory level system.
I cant help with the price.
The GLS is refined and has more power. It sounds a ton better as I think they retuned the exhaust. It also has a nicer front imo. It also seems to do better with brakes and tires.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:34 AM

It does. Thank you! I will go drive them Tuesday and May just wait for the right GLS.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:37 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
GLS63 / GONE: '16 GL63 '15 S63 '14 E63 '13 ML550 '10 E63 '09 C63 '07 E63 '00 E55 '99 C43 '84 190E16V
I have a 2016 GL63. Yes on the rear brakes but my dealer replaced them at no charge. I replaced the tires on delivery with DWS06 and have not had any issues (needed all-season). I drove a 2017 GLS and didn't see a difference.

I have an E63s as well and I actually prefer the GL63, because the performance and handling and sound is so unexpected.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cmginc
I have an E63s as well and I actually prefer the GL63, because the performance and handling and sound is so unexpected.
🤯🤯🤯
Old 05-18-2018, 06:39 AM

Update: the GL had a deposit by the time we got there. We ended up driving home with a ‘17 GLE63S. This is our first AMG and so far we’ve been very happy. The thing rides and handles like an S class in comfort mode but in sport and sport plus it is like a true sports car and the power at your disposal is intoxicating. It may have helped make our mind up the fact that prior to the test drive we had test driven an X5M and that ride was so jarring and uncomfortable I felt bad for my baby in the car seat. Plus the AMG sounds like it’s in a completely different league vs the high pitch farty synthetic BMW sound. A shame since I really wanted to like the X5M and it was a better deal. Oh well! Still grinning everytime I look at her :-)
The following users liked this post:
Anh1 (10-17-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That thing is a monster. Congrats.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:55 AM

Thank you for all your help earlier. She is a beast in deed.