GLA Class (X156) Produced 2013-2020

If You're Thinking About Buying One, DON'T!

Old 01-25-2016, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350

I had a very similar experience. I gave my E class for service and got a loaner. Usually I get C classes, but because of the snow and weather I requested an SUV if possible and guess what was waiting for me - a gleaming red GLA 250. I was happy for a change. I liked the smallish interior but was not sure if it should be called an SUV or not. From inside it felt like a small hatchback but outside has styling of an SUV. I don't see a case for bashing this car. It seems well built to me and has a quality feel which isn't there in mass market cars. I agree that the refinement levels are not at those of higher MBs. The engine is somewhat coarse and vibrations are felt but it has more than enough grunt for this car and overall the noise levels are hushed. I expected a lot more road noise but was surprised. The ride is super sporty and confidence inspiring.
Would I buy it? Probably not, simply because it doesn't fit my needs and I prefer a little serene ride and somewhat more space. But it would be perfect for smaller families (no kids at all) or those living in cities. I would have gladly taken it as a second car, but you can't have too many MBs in life. .
This is just my perspective from a day of driving GLA 250 for the first time. It may or may not align with what GLA owners feel in general.
It's sad when people simply create a thread just to bash a wonderful car.

Last edited by pamiboy; 01-25-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 Jaguar XE (TDI)
I'm certainly glad that I found this thread on the GLA. My wife and I are getting ready to trade in our E350 Blu Tec, because although we love it, it's just bigger than what we need for the two of us and a very occasional second couple in the rear seats. I have a VW Jetta Sportwagon (TDI with 6 sp manual) for running around and hauling things (I have a trailer hitch and tow my utility trailer with my ATV or motorcycles). We looked at 7 or 8 different makes and models and narrowed it down to MB C350, GLA 250, Jaguar XE and the Porsche Macan. We've test driven the C350 and it seemed like a good size, quiet, handled well and the interior was quality material. Tomorrow we'll test drive the GLA250, then Thursday we'll test the Jaguar and the Porsche.

We feel very lucky that there are so many choices for smallish high quality vehicles to choose from and we look forward to seeing which one we like best. Since my wife drives it most, while I hog the time on my Sportwagen, we'll lean in the direction of what she likes most with this purchase.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:04 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 GLC3004M P02
Originally Posted by skromfols
I'm certainly glad that I found this thread on the GLA. My wife and I are getting ready to trade in our E350 Blu Tec, because although we love it, it's just bigger than what we need for the two of us and a very occasional second couple in the rear seats. I have a VW Jetta Sportwagon (TDI with 6 sp manual) for running around and hauling things (I have a trailer hitch and tow my utility trailer with my ATV or motorcycles). We looked at 7 or 8 different makes and models and narrowed it down to MB C350, GLA 250, Jaguar XE and the Porsche Macan. We've test driven the C350 and it seemed like a good size, quiet, handled well and the interior was quality material. Tomorrow we'll test drive the GLA250, then Thursday we'll test the Jaguar and the Porsche.

We feel very lucky that there are so many choices for smallish high quality vehicles to choose from and we look forward to seeing which one we like best. Since my wife drives it most, while I hog the time on my Sportwagen, we'll lean in the direction of what she likes most with this purchase.
Curious... why not the GLC300? It's not too much larger than the GLA and quite a bit more refined and appointed (I test drove both before settling on the GLC). Seems more equivalent to the other cars on your list.

My wife is looking to replace her 2008 Lexus ES350 in about a year. She likes the XE but wants to wait to see the new GLC Coupe after driving mine.

Last edited by Madman7; 08-17-2016 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-18-2016, 09:27 AM

2017 Jaguar XE (TDI)
The looks of the GLC just didn't appeal to my wife. And since she'll be driving it 90% of the time that's her call. The GLA just looked more interesting and when we test drove it we liked everything except the road noise, which I can reduce with dynamat or some other sound deadening material.

This morning we'll be test driving the XE and the Macan, which will give us a good comparison.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 350
The macan and jaguar XE vs the GLA? Are you kidding. Well everyone has their own choices and craziness when it comes to buying a car. Good luck with the test drives.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:39 AM

2017 Jaguar XE (TDI)
It got even crazier. While we were looking at the Jaguar my wife noticed the Range Rover Evoque. We test drove it and I believe that's what we'll be buying. Great handling, good performance, nice interior and she really likes the looks of it. Since she'll be driving it 90% of the time it's her call.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
So I have a 2005 E320 CDI and my wife just bought a new GLA250. Horrible. But she likes it and that is what matters.

Am I an E class snob? I don't think so. It is just that the GLA has so many small details wrong. The ride is absolute rubbish. The visibility is dangerous. The electronics is totally confusing.

Does it have every feature a company could put on a new car? Absolutely. But that doesn't mask the bad mojo.

If you are an MB snob, then you wouldn't compare it to a Toyota Camry. Or Venza. However, if you aren't too sold on MB, then you should compare and you might find the Toy is better.

I'm not saying the GLA should ride and have the visibility of an E, I'm just saying the OP has a point in comparing it to other things before you buy.

Peter
Old 01-29-2017, 06:52 PM

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts
E300-4matic
This guy gets it!

No Pete:
You're not an E class snob, you're just a buyer who realizes the value of what you pay for. Lastly, if your wife is happy with her purchase, in the end, that's truly what's important.

PS - you'll get a few emails from morons that will criticize you because you're not screaming about how great the new "E" class car is, just hit the delete button.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1guitar:
hyperion667 (01-29-2017), ptkacik (02-02-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLA180
I agree - don't buy a GLA180.

This is my first Mercedes (been an Audi / BMW driver all my life) and to say I am disappointed is an understatement.

Had it for a year now and finally getting to understand how it works - it's not intuitive to learn like other European cars - weird - but am getting there.

However the biggest problem is that it surges in low gears, for example when taking off from zero slowly in traffic, it zooms ahead. It seems the automatic transmission gets confused as to which gear to go in (sorry non-tech here). I've had 3 near hits of pedestrians over the last year and am due to take it back to MB Sydney Dealer this week for another road test- each time they say 'it's normal'. Surely!

Also CAN'T get Apple CarPlay retrofitted - grrrrr - should have bought a Kia!

Last edited by pted; 02-22-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic, 2006 C180 Kompressor, 2007 S550 AMG Package
Bought one for the wife. She likes it, I don't. To unrefined for a Mercedes, rides rough, DCT transmission is rough and the fit and finish is not up to Mercedes standards, more like a Hyundai or KIA.

It now has 7k and so far it's been reliable, except for the H/K Amp and Distronic.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:30 PM

GLA45, G500
Originally Posted by 1guitar
I took my E class in for service and they gave me one of these pieces of tin as a loaner. This car is beyond argument the worst automobile I've ever driven, it's loud and noisy as hell, to say nothing about how uncomfortable it is to drive and sit in. If this car is your price point, do yourself a favor and get over the fact that it has a 3 pointed star and buy yourself a Toyota or Honda, they are far superior to this piece of trash that shows is MB's is desperate to sell. My MB dealer sold two since they've been introduced and even he says it's a piece of trash. Let the buyer be ware.
Doc
As a former E-Class owner I can say that they are slow cars. They handle decent for their size but simply not as good as any of my current cars including my GLA45. I may own an E-Class again some day but never a slow 350.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gla250
If you will indulge me to add to this post: what helped me with the blind spots in my 2015 GLA250 was to purchase square-shaped convex mirrors for my side mirrors. Problem solved plus I get to drive the car I love.

Can be purchased anywhere auto parts are sold for less that $5.

Thanks for reading.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 350

My dealership seems to have a surplus of these cars as they keep giving me GLAs as loaners. My opinion about them still not changed. Good small car with quality build but not particularly refined if compared to pricier MBs, but competes very well against its competitors (small SUVs).

Last edited by pamiboy; 06-28-2019 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:58 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 GLA 250
Every time I open the hood and note that there's no gas strut I tend to agree that it's not as refined as one would expect of a Benz. But then I remember it's billed as "entry level." Still ....

In aggregate however very pleased with ours. Just the right size, ride height (more CUV than SUV), appearance and amenities for retirees as well as entry level'rs.

Originally Posted by pamiboy
My dealership seems to have a surplus of these cars as they keep giving me GLAs as loaners. My opinion about them still not changed. Good small car with quality build but not particularly refined if compared to pricier MBs, but competes very well against its competitors (small SUVs).
Old 06-28-2019, 07:16 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,350 Likes on 2,806 Posts
2012 CLS63
Haha, this old gem