Notices
GLA45, GLA35 AMG (X156, H247) 2014 - present (two generations)

My dealer had four GLA45's available

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLA 45
Originally Posted by nutdotnet
New guy here -

I'm 33. The GLA is a perfect "exec" car for me. I've had new S4s and A6s before This is perfect.
This is my first legitimate fast car over 100 mph. With a little extra from the tuning box it makes silly speed feel like 65. I can't imagine a Golf R or STI is that relaxed on the highway. And the handling really is neutral, I took my girfriend's gti out for comparrisons sake and it felt like it was going to tip over on my favorie entrance ramp, the merc is so ez corner in and it feels like there is more there if you dare. I think it is perfect.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:48 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
'16 GL550, '12 C350
I saw one of these over the weekend - my first reaction was wtf? I usually don't keep up on the A45 variations and just assumed any others wouldn't make it to the US. Well, after keeping pace with this crazy little Rally-spec (IMHO) car here in SF... both my wife and I were very curious to learn more.

I currently have a 2013 RRS Lux, love it. My wife has a 2012 C350 Sport. The RRS is great, but I find myself hating the new Land Rover direction and find the new RRS to ugliest, watered down mall runner ever. So Land Rover is out for me in the future. And I've had LRs for the longest time. But the brand is dead in my eyes. I also find the Merc one of the best cars we've owned - it's superb on so many levels and although something I would get, it's a great car.

So that brings me to my next ride. I usually trade-in whatever car/truck I have after 2.5-years or 3. Never keep them longer. So coming in Spring she may have to go. Was planning on waiting for the C63 but seeing this GLA45, has peaked my interest quite a bit.

My son is now 5 and I no longer need the SUV... he's a motorhead like me and he's been asking when we can get a fast car. When he was born I had an e90 M3, but sold that a while back. And before that, I had an e46 M3. But BMW sucks now so that brand is also dead to me. It seems like Mercedes is picking up where all the rest left off - and are becoming HUGELY successful... in terms over everything they make.

Anyway, as I continue exploring this particular model, do any of you guys know if the US exhaust note (crackle, obnoxious dbs) are the same as the A45 EU version? I've seen a few reviews but nothing concrete on this. It does sound right, but is it tuned down for the US market? I know that question may not be answered, but I am curious.

I saw this review on the A45 - and just love it. The GLA45 would be a perfect city car for me and fulfill some youth I've lost over the years with the SUVs. The exhaust note in this video is insanely delishish!!!!

Last edited by Count Laszlo; 12-08-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 ML 550, CLK63 AMG, 2012 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Count Laszlo

I saw this review on the A45 - and just love it. The GLA45 would be a perfect city car for me and fulfill some youth I've lost over the years with the SUVs. The exhaust note in this video is insanely delishish!!!!

My Mercedes A45 AMG Review, Performance Exhaust - YouTube
yes, with the performance exhaust that's the note you get braaaap braaaaap not very amg like. If the cabin size works for you, in a $60k 4cyl, it's a sporty, tiny, car.
As for your youth, I don't kow how old you are, but this is definitely targeted to entry level, younger, buyers. I'm 50 and the car doesn't seem to have much "gravitas" as far as size/styling/sound.

AMG is doing away with normally aspirated v-8's, and the new CLK(GLC?) will have this v-8TT motor for 2016. I have high hopes for this vehicle, that it will be more comfortable in the cabin and have a mid-400's hp number. Otherwise I may just go elsewhere.

Last edited by schorert1; 12-08-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:56 PM

GLA 45
Originally Posted by schorert1
car doesn't seem to have much "gravitas" as far as size/styling/sound..
huh? it sounds like a ripping rally rocket compact and agile, If gravitas means huge and heavy no thanks
Old 12-10-2014, 08:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 ML 550, CLK63 AMG, 2012 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by natrat
huh? it sounds like a ripping rally rocket compact and agile
exactly. I don't think you're making the point you think you are.

Size, sound and ride quality are exactly that of a Golf R, same sound as a wrx without the performance. That's exactly who it's marketed to, slightly older wrx drivers.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:49 AM

GLA 45
That's exactly who it's marketed to, slightly older wrx drivers.
@$70k out the door i kind of doubt its aimed wrx buyers. Its a german sti for rich people, the biiger suvs are a different class of vehicle plain and simple some like them some dont.

same sound as a wrx without the performance.
i must be misunderstanding you-this 45 is on another level than the wrx in terms of refinement, handling and out right power

Last edited by natrat; 12-10-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:21 PM

SLK55 //AMG R171

..... same sound as a wrx without the performance. .
So you are saying a LARGER 2.5L BOXER engine sounds the SAME as a standard 2.0L inline-4????

"Without the performance????" The CLA45 and GLA45 have been tested to run from 12.6-12.8 in the quarter mile, that's pretty damn impressive.

The 2015 STi runs the quarter mile in 13.1
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ti_first_test/
Old 12-13-2014, 01:59 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
I spent a day with one. They're a blast to drive.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by Nachtsturm
I drove a GLA45 AMG over the weekend, car was everything it promised to be. Absolutely loved it. Still have not had the chance to drive a CLA45. If the CLA45 rides as nice as the GLA, I will go with the CLA. If not GLA it is. Felt more connected and quicker than the Macan S. That is saying alot, considering the Macan is excellent. The macan did ride better.

Between a C300 and GLA, I'd go GLA. It's pretty fresh so it would intrigue alot of people.

Between three of them the CLa/GLA and C300, all of which I have driven and the BMW. M235 as well, I'd wait and get the AMG-ish C450 4 Matic which I can't wait to drive. Quicker than either, much better interior on the new C Klasse and with a tune well over 400 HP. Note too that a modded M235 is right on the heels of an m3/4 for about 1/2 the price. The C450 is going to be a dragon slayer without the 4 banger which can get buzzy.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by Boris_Balkan
So you are saying a LARGER 2.5L BOXER engine sounds the SAME as a standard 2.0L inline-4????

"Without the performance????" The CLA45 and GLA45 have been tested to run from 12.6-12.8 in the quarter mile, that's pretty damn impressive.

The 2015 STi runs the quarter mile in 13.1
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ti_first_test/

About what a C400 4, Matic is running.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
yes, with the performance exhaust that's the note you get braaaap braaaaap not very amg like. If the cabin size works for you, in a $60k 4cyl, it's a sporty, tiny, car.
As for your youth, I don't kow how old you are, but this is definitely targeted to entry level, younger, buyers. I'm 50 and the car doesn't seem to have much "gravitas" as far as size/styling/sound.

AMG is doing away with normally aspirated v-8's, and the new CLK(GLC?) will have this v-8TT motor for 2016. I have high hopes for this vehicle, that it will be more comfortable in the cabin and have a mid-400's hp number. Otherwise I may just go elsewhere.

You need to look at the C450 4 Matic when it arrives in June or so.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:30 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 E63 S Sedan
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Between three of them the CLa/GLA and C300, all of which I have driven and the BMW. M235 as well, I'd wait and get the AMG-ish C450 4 Matic which I can't wait to drive. Quicker than either, much better interior on the new C Klasse and with a tune well over 400 HP. Note too that a modded M235 is right on the heels of an m3/4 for about 1/2 the price. The C450 is going to be a dragon slayer without the 4 banger which can get buzzy.
The C450 is NOT quicker than any of the 45 AMG's, nor does it handle better, turn in as quick, etc...AMG cars are a package of focused handling and performance. The C450 is a fast C-class with some AMG "flavoring" added in. It is primarily a comfortable and well appointed vehicle with some speed. But don't confuse this with the 45AMG's (or the C63 for that matter) performance based design, setup and parts.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:47 PM

Chevy Caprice. Planning to buy GLA45
Originally Posted by Strafe1
The C450 is NOT quicker than any of the 45 AMG's, nor does it handle better, turn in as quick, etc...AMG cars are a package of focused handling and performance. The C450 is a fast C-class with some AMG "flavoring" added in. It is primarily a comfortable and well appointed vehicle with some speed. But don't confuse this with the 45AMG's (or the C63 for that matter) performance based design, setup and parts.
It seems like MB's marketing works well for people who think they are getting something similar to full AMG cars due to the AMG badges. Other manufacturers also have the same thing and they seem to make lots and lots of money off of them. M-Sport, V-Sport, F-Sport, S-line, etc. The list goes on... While they do offer nice styling upgrades that looks similar to the true high performance models and some do offer significant performance upgrades as well, they are not really close to the real thing like you have mentioned.