Notices
GLA45, GLA35 AMG (X156, H247) 2014 - present (two generations)

GLA45 AMG Prospective

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subaru STi
GLA45 AMG Prospective

Hi, I am currently researching a (Canadian) GLA45 AMG to replace my '09 STi. Perhaps a nice fellow can address these points;

- AMG Ride Control Suspension: A few comments stating it's quite firm if not firmer then the STi. This is one area where I would like to have a little more compliance then the STi.
- MY2016 VS MY2105: Aside from HP/TQ increase (Which can be equaled on the '15 model with aftermarket) is it worth the dealer price? There is a fully optioned Designo Mountain Grey ($2500.00 Option) coming in locally which as listed is approximately $80000.00 with Taxes. This seems completely out of line for the segment IMO. For reference there are some nicely optioned local MY2015's on dealer lots between $65000.00-$68000.00.
- DCT: I have extensive experience with the BMW ZF 8 speed and for the most part it does what you ask of it. While it's not a DCT, its quite reactive. The transmission is make or break deal with me, and I've heard the Merc DCT can be "frustrating" Can anyone comment on this, can it be reasonably improved with aftermarket (Rebellion).
- I have been trying to arrange a test drive but the local dealers do not have any allocations for "stock", or at least that's what they are telling me. Aside from the Designo unit coming in which the representative said that he really isn't allowed to offer test drives in it. Which I guess is understandable as I would be a little displeased if was purchasing a "demo" unit...
- Anything I missed?

Thanks!

OTG

Last edited by Offthegrid; 12-14-2015 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Add additional pricing
Old 12-14-2015, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLA45 AMG
Canadian 2016 gla45 are on hold. Canadian government won't release them till sometime in january. If that helps any
The following users liked this post:
Popemobile (12-10-2018)
Old 12-15-2015, 03:12 AM

GLA45
OP, you sound like a like-minded buyer. I had an 05 and an 08 STi and also have a lot of experience with the ZF 8-spd....

-No one except Chris Harris and Georg Kacher have driven the new 2-stage suspension (in the A45) but in the 2015 GLA45s, on the 20s, I would say the ride is quite comparable to an 09 stock STi. I wouldn't say it's any firmer, though. If that's too stiff for what you want now, might be worth waiting for the new adaptive dampers.

-The upgrades for 2016 are significant. The new suspension option, adjusted gearing, and limited-slip diff are all enticing. I wonder how much they really turned up the wick on the power and how much they decided to publish a different number. Car & Driver and Motortrend both tested the 2015 in-line with the 2016's massively improved (published) 0-60 time.... And like you said, you can leap-frog the difference with a tune, anyway, but maybe that's me trying to justify my decision to jump on a deal on a 2015.

The one thing the 15 has going better for it other than a solid discount is actual aluminum shift paddles on the optional AMG wheel. The new ones are plastic....just as in the C63. A shame. This makes a huge difference to me; the aluminum ones feel way better.

-Coming from only manuals, I've been very hung up on the tranny, too. The AWD/manual options out there are so limited in this price segment that I've spent the better part of a year and dozens of test drives trying to figure out which one of these flappy-paddle gear-boxes I can best enjoy and I've settled on the GLA's. The ZF8 is so good, so smooth, so responsive, so fast that it's hard to say anything bad about it other than it's a bit busy with 8 gears (and you're very busy if you're trying to run the show). It's too good, though, and it's smarter than you which is also annoying. The Audi DCT is pretty much the same story minus a gear or two and with even less drama on changes (at least the BMWs in Sport+ make some noise and unsettle a bit.)

Simply put, in any quantifiable way, the Merc 7spd DCT is not as good as either the ZF auto nor the Audi DCT but that's why I prefer it. It's certainly more temperamental and clunkier at low speeds and though quick enough to respond to a paddle, it's not as lightning fast as the other two but that keeps it interesting for me. It justifies my insistence on driving in manual mode at all costs because I don't trust it to read my mind like the ZF seems to. It keeps me more engaged.

In combination with the performance exhaust and the proper aluminum paddles, the shifting still seems to be an event and a calculated, necessary one because this thing's got turbo lag almost on par with the STi.

-You need to drive one or at least a CLA45. May be tricky but it's worth the effort. Good luck.

Last edited by Xpedite; 12-15-2015 at 03:17 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Where are you in Canada? I'd be more than happy to let you drive mine if you're in Calgary.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GLA45
Originally Posted by Xpedite
OP, you sound like a like-minded buyer. I had an 05 and an 08 STi and also have a lot of experience with the ZF 8-spd....

-No one except Chris Harris and Georg Kacher have driven the new 2-stage suspension (in the A45) but in the 2015 GLA45s, on the 20s, I would say the ride is quite comparable to an 09 stock STi. I wouldn't say it's any firmer, though. If that's too stiff for what you want now, might be worth waiting for the new adaptive dampers.

-The upgrades for 2016 are significant. The new suspension option, adjusted gearing, and limited-slip diff are all enticing. I wonder how much they really turned up the wick on the power and how much they decided to publish a different number. Car & Driver and Motortrend both tested the 2015 in-line with the 2016's massively improved (published) 0-60 time.... And like you said, you can leap-frog the difference with a tune, anyway, but maybe that's me trying to justify my decision to jump on a deal on a 2015.

The one thing the 15 has going better for it other than a solid discount is actual aluminum shift paddles on the optional AMG wheel. The new ones are plastic....just as in the C63. A shame. This makes a huge difference to me; the aluminum ones feel way better.

-Coming from only manuals, I've been very hung up on the tranny, too. The AWD/manual options out there are so limited in this price segment that I've spent the better part of a year and dozens of test drives trying to figure out which one of these flappy-paddle gear-boxes I can best enjoy and I've settled on the GLA's. The ZF8 is so good, so smooth, so responsive, so fast that it's hard to say anything bad about it other than it's a bit busy with 8 gears (and you're very busy if you're trying to run the show). It's too good, though, and it's smarter than you which is also annoying. The Audi DCT is pretty much the same story minus a gear or two and with even less drama on changes (at least the BMWs in Sport+ make some noise and unsettle a bit.)

Simply put, in any quantifiable way, the Merc 7spd DCT is not as good as either the ZF auto nor the Audi DCT but that's why I prefer it. It's certainly more temperamental and clunkier at low speeds and though quick enough to respond to a paddle, it's not as lightning fast as the other two but that keeps it interesting for me. It justifies my insistence on driving in manual mode at all costs because I don't trust it to read my mind like the ZF seems to. It keeps me more engaged.

In combination with the performance exhaust and the proper aluminum paddles, the shifting still seems to be an event and a calculated, necessary one because this thing's got turbo lag almost on par with the STi.

-You need to drive one or at least a CLA45. May be tricky but it's worth the effort. Good luck.
I want to comment on the DCT gearbox. I too lament the loss of manual transmission. I just love driving a manual.

I test drove a number of cars and found that the DCT in the GLA45 was second only to the Audi DCTs that I test drove and much better then the DCT in the base GLA and CLA. Now that I have owned the GLA45 for a month, I must say that I find the DCT in the GLA as much fun as a manual. I can easily downshift and engine brake the way I normally would and I find that it will up shift itself exactly as I would making it very easy to drive.

I love the fact that I can downshift myself and that if I come to a complete stop, it switches back to auto mode and I can take off from the line and it will shift up automatically.

I never thought I'd have as as much fun as I do so while not a manual, I do not miss the clutch pedal as much any more.

Last edited by Jupiter Red; 12-29-2015 at 09:47 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-29-2015, 12:09 PM

GLA45
Originally Posted by Jupiter Red
I want to comment on the DCT gearbox. I too lament the loss of manual transmission........

I never thought I'd have as as much fun as I do so while not a manual, I do not miss the clutch pedal as much any more.
Ok, I'm not that in love with the DCT. I've had the car a couple weeks now and I still think it can be engaging to drive but I am certainly still missing the clutch pedal. I'm finding the DCT very responsive when I'm on it which is when it counts. Its lazier, reluctant moments are pretty much when I'm driving lazier so that's excusable. Boy, can it confused in and out of park and reverse, though. Opening a door as you place it in the garage prior to engaging park seems to really **** it off, too. I have used the auto mode some which I rarely did test driving it and it's better than I thought. I'm definitely still getting used to it.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:32 PM

Subaru STi
Wow! I really appreciate the feedback from everyone. I would have responded sooner, however I thought I only received a couple of replies before I checked the thread again today. Congrats on the new addition Xpedite!

I will have to make a test drive happen (thanks rage2 for the offer, I live in the GTA), it's just too subjective, all while being quite reluctant to give up pedal #3. The Focus RS is being considered, although I have a feeling it will be very STi like (probably cleaner fit and finish though).
Old 01-07-2016, 02:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
X4M, G80 M3
Hey OP
I currently drive a 240hp/260tq tuned car w/ DP rated at 314hp/343tq at the crank.
I test-drove 3 C450 (different days, different dealerships) then a week later I went to test-drive a GLA 45 AMG 15' w/ Performance Exhaust and OMG (which was 2 days ago). I couldnt believe it so I asked to drive a C450 immediately. I did and I couldn't believe it, that I would choose the GLA 45 over it.

The problem was the 15' currently in inventory didn't have the color I wanted and the best one I got was $61,825 MSRP, dealer was offering to pay my trade-in and only $2800 out of pocket to over the fees. $789 a month with 12k miles and if I wanted to do 10 Multiple Security Deposits of $750 to lower it to $720.. So I walked away for now.

Can anyone chime in and say if its worth the CarPlay and Suspension option for the 16' and of course last but not least the 375/350 performance bump over the 15' model?
I hear the DCT has been re-calibrated but isn't this something that can be done with software update too?

Thanks