Notices
GLA45, GLA35 AMG (X156, H247) 2014 - present (two generations)

Cross shopping the GLA45 and an Audi S3: opinions wanted please

Old 12-29-2016, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Clubman JCW, Miata
Cross shopping the GLA45 and an Audi S3: opinions wanted please

Howdy MB World, This is my first post and could use some feedback. the Audi forums haven't been nice to me when I said the car felt disconnected from the road. So I thought I'd post here.

I’m cross-shopping the Audi S3 and MB GLA45 AMG. I've driven everything under the sun and one of these two will be my next car.

Price-wise, there’s about a $2500 difference between the two ($47,500 for the Audi w/ an APR tune and $50,000 for the AMG, however, that's were my budget ends. I wouldn't be able to afford the GLA45 unless I found a good deal (which I did

I’ve driven both and the AMG is more engaging to drive, has better seats and a better warranty, but some body roll and small cup holders and not much storage space for a phone/ sunglasses/ ect. The S3 handles better and somehow, I think it feels more premium, but is much less engaging to drive. Its very weird because it does everything well from a performance standpoint, but its just not fun (however, it is better than the BMW 2 series, which auto journalists seem to praise). I feel better about buying the s3 but feel I'll be disappointed if I do. Oddly enough, the s3 cost about $500 more a year to insure. I’m stuck. What should I do?

(no I didn’t like the 2 series 230, m240, m2) and the RS while a blast to drive has a suspension from hell and an armrest thats way too low for comfort. The Golf R has very uncomfortable seats (I'm a very big person) and no sunroof, which is a must for me and the S3 drives better).
Old 12-29-2016, 03:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLA45 AMG 2016
one very big advantage for the GLA45 is the glorious sound it produces for sure. If you're a big dude , I'm assuming the GLA most have a better clearance for your head and better space in general since the S3 seems like a small car.

The ''wow'' factor is on the gla side imho. The S3 is a great car also I'm sure but is a very subtle car.
I'm 6'1 200 pounds and was very surprise how confortable I was in the GLA seat

Last edited by toobrokeforC63; 12-29-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:36 AM

2017 GLA 45 AMG
Don't know if you're still shopping, but we showed those same cars and a golf r just for kicks. Didn't find any more body roll in sport plus and found the gla to be significantly faster than all of them. 375 hp and 330 lb/ft. It's an entry level AMG, but it was a gap fest against similarly priced cars. If you found one for 50, buy it. Ours was over 70k CAD
Old 01-18-2017, 09:49 PM

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
2016 c450 / 2016 VW Jetta 1.8t / 2006 Wrangler X
I was shopping these 2 cars. I actually started off hunting for a Golf R, but loved the nicer options the Audi offered. I still wanted a hatchback so I cross the gla45. I found the Merc was nicer overall, even though the Audi had the blue I liked.
I actually ended up with a c450 because the interior and exterior fit and finish blew the other 2 away.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLA45, GL450
Second all these comments. I was intending to test drive an S3 until I sat in the back seat - with tall kids to haul, it's unusable for anybody close to 6". Too bad they don't offer the S3 Avant (wagon) in the states.

I'm 6'2"/220 and the back seat of the S3 was close to the CLA45. The cockpit, however is much closer between the two (and I recall the Golf R feeling even a bit more spacious, but we're still talking small cars here).

The GLA's AMG seats are great if you can fit or plan to spend time at the track - for a bigger guy using the GLA as a daily driver, the stock seats are very good. The extendible thigh bolsters are a bonus - make for the best seats I've had since my 335 sport.

FWIW, I landed my CPO '16 GLA with 12k miles for just under $48k, so I think there's good hope to find one in your price range - as great as these cars are, they're not collectables and the prices will drop over time (especially if MB juices the power even more in future models...)

Interesting point about the difference in cost to insure. I was expecting to take a real hit with the GLA but it was a very small increase over my 3 series. Maybe the "SUV" association keeps the insurance actuaries happy?
Old 01-19-2017, 04:30 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 79 Likes on 77 Posts
AMG
The GLA 45 was a very pleasant surprise to me. I quite like it and the additional height from the drivers seat.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLA45, G500
Given the choice I would take a second Audi in my garage right now over my GLA45. I hope that changes but so far I am not happy with my little AMG.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:04 AM

2017 AMG GT S
Originally Posted by GroovyAdventure
Howdy MB World, This is my first post and could use some feedback. the Audi forums haven't been nice to me when I said the car felt disconnected from the road. So I thought I'd post here.

I’m cross-shopping the Audi S3 and MB GLA45 AMG. I've driven everything under the sun and one of these two will be my next car.

Price-wise, there’s about a $2500 difference between the two ($47,500 for the Audi w/ an APR tune and $50,000 for the AMG, however, that's were my budget ends. I wouldn't be able to afford the GLA45 unless I found a good deal (which I did

I’ve driven both and the AMG is more engaging to drive, has better seats and a better warranty, but some body roll and small cup holders and not much storage space for a phone/ sunglasses/ ect. The S3 handles better and somehow, I think it feels more premium, but is much less engaging to drive. Its very weird because it does everything well from a performance standpoint, but its just not fun (however, it is better than the BMW 2 series, which auto journalists seem to praise). I feel better about buying the s3 but feel I'll be disappointed if I do. Oddly enough, the s3 cost about $500 more a year to insure. I’m stuck. What should I do?

(no I didn’t like the 2 series 230, m240, m2) and the RS while a blast to drive has a suspension from hell and an armrest thats way too low for comfort. The Golf R has very uncomfortable seats (I'm a very big person) and no sunroof, which is a must for me and the S3 drives better).
In my opinion, I will choose the AMG GLA45, because compared to the S3, it is smaller. Also, I looked at the MSRP of the GLA45, it seems that it is higher compared to the S3. I just wondered why S3 has big monthly payments than to GLA45. In my dealer, the GLA45 lease is just $329/monthly while the S3 has the $439/monthly. I think I can get great advantage in choosing GLA45.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLA45
I got the GLA45 after my 981 b/c it's as close to the S4 Avant that i would really want. I can get friends and family pricing on Audi's and still did not get an Audi.

I have been on Audizine since 2009. just give me a stick....oh well.