Notices
GLA45, GLA35 AMG (X156, H247) 2014 - present (two generations)

GLA45 AMG permanent radar detector mount (V1)

Old 04-23-2017, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GLA45 AMG
GLA45 AMG permanent radar detector mount (V1)

I can't take credit for this because someone else pinoeered the way but now I cant find the thread.

I have a V1 in all of my cars, and perfer a fixed mount / fixed wiring under the rear view mirror. Suction cups don't cut it for me. Normally, it's easy you buy a BlendMount however they do not make anything for MB. I say a thread in which another owner affixed an Amazon radar detector mount which was cheap $30-40 dollars so decided to give it a shot. The plastic rear view mirror shroud has some slots in the very front and he attached the mount there. I popped the plastic shroud ( hanging down maybe an inch). I found that the screws were farther apart than the slits (not by much) so I used a soldering iron. Once it was hot inserted into the end of the slit and pushed it side ways. Did this several times for I did not want to go too far out. Once the screws lined up, I cleaned up any melted plastic with a razor blade. The screws were too long, so I checked the plastic thickness and used washers as spacers, screwed the rear mounting bracket and cut off the excess screw.
I'm doing all of this with the plastic shroud hanging there, it would be easier to just remove it but was to lazy to figure out how to unplug it.

I insert the screws into the mounting bracket and insert into the plastic shroud, I slip a washer in the back (probably not necessary but was concerned about the thing vibrating). The rear bracket has curved section on one side and I flipped it so the curved section was on the outside. I did not know how much space was available as I felt this would increase my odds of getting the plastic shroud back in place. Wasn't easy getting my fingers to slip in the washer and then the rear bracket but after numerous attempts I got it threaded. Tightened it up good. The radar detector wiring. There is a second row of slits in the plastic shroud which I cut with wire cutters, slowing me to pull the wire through.

While this mount is no where near the quality of the BlendMount, it works for our car.

Last edited by BahamaBart; 04-23-2017 at 08:54 AM.