Notices
GLA45, GLA35 AMG (X156, H247) 2014 - present (two generations)

New Focus RS or used 2016 GLA45 AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 12:11 AM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
C8, FF, C63S, 911 C4S, GTI, E350, Boxster S, 355, Esprit S4, Vantage, S5, Z4, M3, Miata, A4, 325is
New Focus RS or used 2016 GLA45 AMG?

I have a C63S AMG and am looking for a winter driver. I currently have a Mk6 GTI which I love. But FWD in the winter in New England is marginal unless you're using snow tires. Given that I have tire storage issues, I'm left thinking that I want to get a fun AWD hatchback with.... hate to admit it... all season tires.

From all the reviews and videos I've researched, the AMG destroys them all in power with 375hp starting in the 2016 models. I'm not considering a Golf R or the Audi's for various reasons. It's really down to the Focus RS and the GLA45 AMG. I can get the Focus RS right now brand new 2017 for around $38k (yes, it appears the novelty has worn out and they are now selling at a discount). 2016 GLA45 AMGs are still hard to find. But as the year progresses and it hits the 2 year old mark, a lot will come out. I'm not sure if it will be in the same price ballpark of around $40k or not for a 2016 in a few months especially when the 2018s come out.

I like the Focus RS since it has the "drift mode" where I can playfully (and stupidly) swing the tail out for fun. I don't believe this is at all possible with the AMG. Or is it? Can someone chime in? What I don't like about the Focus RS is that the interior is seriously low rent. Even my GTI interior is far superior to it.

I like the AMG, since, well... I have one. I can only imagine that the exhaust note will be intoxicating (but not as much as my C63S). The interior is top notch. But I worry that I will not be able to have as much driving fun with it since there will be too much grip. The GTI is/was a lot of fun since I can spin tires all day long. But lifting the inside wheel of the GTI is getting old. And the inability to get the tail out of the GTI is no fun either.

Anyone here cross shop the Focus RS vs a used GLA45 AMG have thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLA45
I looked at the Focus RS - it's tiny in the backseat - not that may matter for you. in driving position the driver's seat was an inch away from the back seat. why have back doors?

i am here cuz i got one. so i am biased. if you were to ask in a Ford/Focus Forum, you would likely get a biased answer.

i think the Focus RS (with a stick) would be more fun to drive, but the Ford-ness would likely wear the enjoyment after a while.

good luck.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:23 PM

C8, FF, C63S, 911 C4S, GTI, E350, Boxster S, 355, Esprit S4, Vantage, S5, Z4, M3, Miata, A4, 325is
Yes, I actually wanted the biased answer especially if the person cross-shopped. I figured I would post the same in the Focus RS forums. I'm just wondering that if the dollars were equal on both, would I want the straight line acceleration, DSG, great interior, and exhaust note more? Or would I want the slightly bigger interior/trunk and drift mode? This would be a primary driver all year round. I'm not convinced that having a manual would make the car more fun to drive. I used to be a 6spd manual snob up until I drove the latest DSGs. I have more fun with them (and drive more like a hooligan) with the DSG.

Last edited by theclutch; 05-05-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:27 PM

GLA45
well i suppose the question on being a manual snob would be would you buy a new 991.2 with a third pedal or a PDK?

personally the Focus just never did it for me. since i have one entering pre-med in two years - i got this.

good luck clutch (double clutch here).
Old 05-05-2017, 06:35 PM

Funny! I answered that the other day... manual!!! Why? I do not see myself paying $4k (or whatever the latest fleecing price is) for a PDK!
Old 05-05-2017, 06:38 PM

GLA45
me as well...
Old 05-06-2017, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boxster
I would rather get a Macan/GLC43 or Civic R just to try the fastest FWD car at the nurburgring.

Either go fun or better daily. The GLC is just much nicer overall and has more room than the GLA45. I had a CLA45 and it just feel cheap for a benz.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by theclutch
I have a C63S AMG and am looking for a winter driver. I currently have a Mk6 GTI which I love. But FWD in the winter in New England is marginal unless you're using snow tires. Given that I have tire storage issues, I'm left thinking that I want to get a fun AWD hatchback with.... hate to admit it... all season tires.

From all the reviews and videos I've researched, the AMG destroys them all in power with 375hp starting in the 2016 models. I'm not considering a Golf R or the Audi's for various reasons. It's really down to the Focus RS and the GLA45 AMG. I can get the Focus RS right now brand new 2017 for around $38k (yes, it appears the novelty has worn out and they are now selling at a discount). 2016 GLA45 AMGs are still hard to find. But as the year progresses and it hits the 2 year old mark, a lot will come out. I'm not sure if it will be in the same price ballpark of around $40k or not for a 2016 in a few months especially when the 2018s come out.

I like the Focus RS since it has the "drift mode" where I can playfully (and stupidly) swing the tail out for fun. I don't believe this is at all possible with the AMG. Or is it? Can someone chime in? What I don't like about the Focus RS is that the interior is seriously low rent. Even my GTI interior is far superior to it.

I like the AMG, since, well... I have one. I can only imagine that the exhaust note will be intoxicating (but not as much as my C63S). The interior is top notch. But I worry that I will not be able to have as much driving fun with it since there will be too much grip. The GTI is/was a lot of fun since I can spin tires all day long. But lifting the inside wheel of the GTI is getting old. And the inability to get the tail out of the GTI is no fun either.

Anyone here cross shop the Focus RS vs a used GLA45 AMG have thoughts? Thanks in advance.
After driving both cars, I chose the GLA45 AMG. The Ford was slower, interior much smaller, stereo was garbage, and the boot space noticeably smaller. The Merc just offers more bang for your buck; luxury and performance. The first time you hear that amazing 2 liter burp on an up shift during hard acceleration, you'll be hooked. It is a fantastic little car and has great ground clearance. It was $43k, with only 2400 miles on it. I do not regret my decision what so ever. Hope that helps......
Old 07-17-2017, 10:54 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 E63s Wagon
I didn't cross shop a Focus RS - never even considered it. Saw one at the performance shop I use, it looked cool I guess. Drift mode - eh, I dunno. After my break in period I drove mine in the NC mountains and pushed it out beyond my nerve limit (while still learning the car) and barely made the tires squeal. I've heard you can get the tail out a bit but I think the GLA is heavy front end torque, like > 70%? I personally wouldn't shred tires like that. Drifting on the skid pad at the AMG Academy in their cars on their tires? Fun! Mine? Nope

Shameless plug, mine is for sale . . . ad in classifieds here.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:33 PM

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
2009 c63
Originally Posted by Specboatunits
After driving both cars, I chose the GLA45 AMG. The Ford was slower, interior much smaller, stereo was garbage, and the boot space noticeably smaller. The Merc just offers more bang for your buck; luxury and performancej. The first time you hear that amazing 2 liter burp on an up shift during hard acceleration, you'll be hooked. It is a fantastic little car and has great ground clearance. It was $43k, with only 2400 miles on it. I do not regret my decision what so ever. Hope that helps......
i have a c63 '09 now and have been eying these... how do you feel about this as a replacement to the c63? I'd like to have a rear bike mount also on my next car.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dogtag114
i have a c63 '09 now and have been eying these... how do you feel about this as a replacement to the c63? I'd like to have a rear bike mount also on my next car.
Umm... no. Not as a replacement but as an addition. Replacing a V8 with a turbo 4 will yield disappointment in many areas. IMO, you're better off keeping the C63 and getting a used GTI with a roof rack. Great bang for the buck there!