Notices
GLA45, GLA35 AMG (X156, H247) 2014 - present (two generations)

Exhaust Valve?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 11:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C204, W209, W164
Exhaust Valve?

I've read a few things about this but have no solid conclusion...

Being winter now in Canada, you can see the exhaust exit from the left side when it's cold. Obviously this is normal if the valve is closed by being in comfort mode. I've also read it will stay closed regardless if it's sport or manual if the car has not warmed up.

However, even after the car has warmed up entirely, I noticed it still only expels out the left side of the exhaust when idling - in either of the 3 modes.

Am I missing something? Also when idling I noticed the exhaust has a slight "vibration" noise. Is there a possibility of something being wrong with the valve?
Old 01-16-2018, 01:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 Silverado Z71, (project) 1998 M3 Turbo Build
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Infamouz
I've read a few things about this but have no solid conclusion...

Being winter now in Canada, you can see the exhaust exit from the left side when it's cold. Obviously this is normal if the valve is closed by being in comfort mode. I've also read it will stay closed regardless if it's sport or manual if the car has not warmed up.

However, even after the car has warmed up entirely, I noticed it still only expels out the left side of the exhaust when idling - in either of the 3 modes.

Am I missing something? Also when idling I noticed the exhaust has a slight "vibration" noise. Is there a possibility of something being wrong with the valve?
Mercedes has it setup so that it maintains a quiet idle and the valve opens under pressure/at speed and or while driving. Hence, you hear the exhaust variance in Sport/Sport Plus/Race mode.