MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLA45, GLA35 AMG (X156, H247) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gla45-gla35-amg-x156-h247-195/)
-   -   Grinding noise when shifting into reverse. (https://mbworld.org/forums/gla45-gla35-amg-x156-h247/741600-grinding-noise-when-shifting-into-reverse.html)

jhbass 04-12-2019 04:34 PM

Grinding noise when shifting into reverse.

When my 2016 GLA45 (37k ODO) is cold it's makes a grinding noise when it shifts into reverse. It sounds just like when someone who isn't used to driving a stick is having a hard time finding the right gear or they are just shifting wrong.
It's still under warranty and I'm going to bring it in, I was just wondering if anyone else ever had this issue?

Thanks!

dineshh 05-02-2019 08:35 PM

The only noise I hear is the parking break disengaging when I forget to release it. My 2015 is coming close to 30k. I had the DCT transmission fluid change service this week and the dealer upgraded the software to correct a problem I'm having with the stop/start system.
Didn't fix the problem, but the transmission seems to shift lot smoother and quicker now.
It will be interesting to know what they find with yours? I take it you had the rear Diff fluid changed at 20k and DCT fluid change at 30k?

col3man 12-06-2019 12:33 PM

Cheers, I have this exact same problem on my '16.. Shifting into reverse when it's cold, it's got a grind - it only happens sometimes though.... What did you find out?? Did you solve it?

col3man 01-09-2020 10:42 AM

Bump// anybody else have this problem?

GreaseLightning 01-09-2020 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by col3man (Post 7948329)
Bump// anybody else have this problem?

I've had the same issue (on a '19), though I could also hear the occasional grinding when coming to a stop at a light -- seemed to only happen when in comfort mode. Took it into the dealer and of course, they couldn't reproduce the problem. After over three weeks in the shop they finally acknowledged the problem and changed the rear dif. To be honest I don't think it made a slight bit of difference and I'm planning on taking it back to them in the next few weeks. I'm quite annoyed at how poorly the car seems to be made. When it goes, it goes like a tank, but it seems to have some fundamental issues that creep up for lots of owners.

GreaseLightning 01-09-2020 07:42 PM

I should add one more thing...I've noticed that when the gearbox warms up above ~140F the problem seems to go away. So it may be a dif fluid viscosity issue. Either way, a source of frustration with this car

col3man 01-10-2020 10:50 AM

Interesting, when I was thinking about your reply this a.m., I came to the same conclusion, a change of the transmission fluid would probably help a great deal.. Maybe I'll do the differentials as well.. Any recommendations on fluids? I might run a lighter viscosity due to the cold winter here in Maine .. I'm a bit disappointed that there's not a large online resource about info for fixing these cars, I often work on my 993 and there's so much available information that it's overwhelming most of the time. But sort of the opposite with this car.. Thanks for your input!

meicalnissyen 01-12-2020 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by col3man (Post 7949222)
Interesting, . I'm a bit disappointed that there's not a large online resource about info for fixing these cars, I often work on my 993 and there's so much available information that it's overwhelming most of the time. But sort of the opposite with this car.. Thanks for your input!

hehe
tru that

I came from the MS3/MS6 platform where the depth of collective knowledge is quite deep.
this unicorn of fun is pretty much ignored.

count the number of posts amongst the various merc models

the x156 is a very forlorn creature

some A45 bits may transfer, but, plan on being the guru, not the follower if you wanna "FUXWITIT" as nobody mods this car

i'm still trying to figure out why I have a -73.5% STFT in bluedriver

but my god its quick, and just so aggressively loud