Notices
GLA45, GLA35 AMG (X156, H247) 2014 - present (two generations)

Rear wing addition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GLA45 AMG
Rear wing addition

Thought I would share a rear wing addition.

Back ground: I bought used a 2015 without a wing. I actually like the car without a wing, just makes it more stealthy. Being a Mod'er, I started looking at wings. The factory wing while nice, I thought was ridiculously priced so I searched for options and came across this wing on eBay. I liked the lines and it was a China knock off, so it was cheap (under 300). I have had plenty experience with China knock parts. A good China knock off typically requires some tweak and a bad one requires, well a lot of tweaking to make it work. Being a Mod'er or DIY type guy I, I rolled the dice.

This piece was a horrible knock off (maybe a barbus wing knock off). When I fitted one side, there was a 1/4 inch gap on the other side! Being carbon fiber, it wasn't going to bend or give to address the gap. Threw on a shelf were it has sat for over a year. Had time so down it came off the shelf and work began. To address the gap, I cut the wing in half, and removed 3/8 of an inch in the middle of the wing. Fitted each piece to the car with 3m tape. Reconnected the 2 pieces with epoxy and wooden dowels on the car and let set. Then bondo, sanding, more sanding and off to paint. On the curved section, it was not matching the curved of the car, creating a few points that required 3 layers of 3m tape to fill! To address this aesthetically, I filled it with caulk (Easy enough since the car is white).

So here is the end result. Some will like it others will not.