MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLC Class (X253) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253-203/)
-   -   Canadian GLC to US?? (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253/611571-canadian-glc-us.html)

awjenni 01-07-2016 01:02 PM

Canadian GLC to US??

Surely this can't be done or everyone would be doing it...

Can I buy a new car in Canada and import it into the US? If so, what are the costs and rules?

The MSRP price of the US version GLC that I am considering comes to $60,365 USD.

I just went to the Canadian MB website and "built" what was pretty much the same car with ALL the options I want, PLUS a few more, like 19" wheels without, and off-road package without charge.

The MSRP price on my Canadian build was $62815 CAD.

Using today's exchange rate, that comes to $42,920 USD. Wow!!!

I doubt that mbusa would honor the warranty for one thing.

Al

rbrylaw 01-07-2016 01:15 PM

You're right if it was easy to do, we'd all be vacationing in Canada and driving home in a New Benz. They make it almost impossible to do, however. There are the import fees. The EPA requlations. It's just almost impossible to do and yes, the warranty wouldn't likely even be honored.

JEVA 01-07-2016 02:05 PM

I looked at this for a motorcycle several years ago. It can be done but it's expensive and time consuming and in the end, it wasn't worth it. I can only imagine it would be worse with a car as there are more safety/emission standards in play.

awjenni 01-07-2016 02:40 PM

A little digging answered my own question.

Basically the answer is NO.

There are EPA rules and customs rules to comply with and they look fairly easy.

Virtually all new Canadian MB's are on the official Mercedes "Vehicle Admissibility List." That basically says the vehicle is in full compliance with EPA, DOT rules etc. and is identical to the US version. That list satisfies all of the sticky US requirements.

US customs duties and issues appear to be surprisingly minor.

Mercedes rules at first glance appear minor, the warranty IS good in the US (but, you cannot buy the extended warranty).

Some details at:

http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content/...lity.0001.html

However MB policy is that a new Mercedes will NOT be sold to anyone intending to take it out of the country within the first 12 months. The buyer must certify that he or she will NOT export it.

There might be other issues too, but I stopped looking.

Al

rbrylaw 01-07-2016 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by awjenni (Post 6668144)
A little digging answered my own question.

Basically the answer is NO.

There are EPA rules and customs rules to comply with and they look fairly easy.

Virtually all new Canadian MB's are on the official Mercedes "Vehicle Admissibility List." That basically says the vehicle is in full compliance with EPA, DOT rules etc. and is identical to the US version. That list satisfies all of the sticky US requirements.

US customs duties and issues appear to be surprisingly minor.

Mercedes rules at first glance appear minor, the warranty IS good in the US (but, you cannot buy the extended warranty).

Some details at:

http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content/...lity.0001.html

However MB policy is that a new Mercedes will NOT be sold to anyone intending to take it out of the country within the first 12 months. The buyer must certify that he or she will NOT export it.

There might be other issues too, but I stopped looking.

Al

And Vice-Versa. When you purchase a Mercedes in the US, you also sign a contract stating you will not take it outside the US in the first 12 months of ownership.

larrypmyers 01-08-2016 02:44 PM

I'm wondering if the MB caveat has been court tested?

Once the car ownership is transferred to the buyer/lien-holder it seems to me MB has no standing as to where the vehicle is domiciled.

Can't speak concerning the nuances of importing automobiles from Canada to the US. But going in the opposite direction is fairly easy. Canadian Corvette buyers do this somewhat frequently. There are some minor mechanical issues and taxes that must be paid. Although not an issue in every transaction some buyers have has some difficulty in transferring the warranty.

I know, I know different issue. :topic:

What would happen if your company transferred you to Miami from Yellow Knife and you were driving a new MB?

Alex Bel 01-08-2016 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by larrypmyers (Post 6669382)

What would happen if your company transferred you to Miami from Yellow Knife and you were driving a new MB?

You are still Canadian citizen working temporary in U.S. on visa. You drive your Canadian car with Canadian DL until you register the car in U.S.

schroedinger 01-11-2016 03:28 PM

The government a few months back busted a ring buying expensive cars and reselling them in China. So it can also land you in legal trouble if you're doing this in mass.

fabbrisd1 01-13-2016 12:03 AM

" When you purchase a Mercedes in the US, you also sign a contract stating you will not take it outside the US in the first 12 months of ownership."

I don't know of any dealer in the US that will require a "non-export" document to be signed for a US-citizen or Permanent-Resident.

The GLC is not a targeted model for re-export out of the US - unlike the GL450 in black/black-interior-pano-sunroof for Asia - or a new S-Class in Diamond White with light interior for the Middle East.

The "non-export" doc's vary from in legalese from state-to-state - but they don't prohibit export - what they do-do is in contractual/written-agreement form state the buyer will pay the dealership ($XX,XXX) if the rig they purchased is exported outside the US within "X" months - usually 6-12 are the common # of months.

V6 SUV's in Asia have lower import duties in most Asian countries (especially China) than their V8 upgraded cousins - and in Middle East ultra-luxury S's in specific color combinations are craved- and can be shipped/delivered to places like UAE/Dubai faster than a new/MB order for that country.

Keep the beat !

rbrylaw 01-13-2016 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 (Post 6674276)
" When you purchase a Mercedes in the US, you also sign a contract stating you will not take it outside the US in the first 12 months of ownership."

I don't know of any dealer in the US that will require a "non-export" document to be signed for a US-citizen or Permanent-Resident.

The GLC is not a targeted model for re-export out of the US - unlike the GL450 in black/black-interior-pano-sunroof for Asia - or a new S-Class in Diamond White with light interior for the Middle East.

The "non-export" doc's vary from in legalese from state-to-state - but they don't prohibit export - what they do-do is in contractual/written-agreement form state the buyer will pay the dealership ($XX,XXX) if the rig they purchased is exported outside the US within "X" months - usually 6-12 are the common # of months.

V6 SUV's in Asia have lower import duties in most Asian countries (especially China) than their V8 upgraded cousins - and in Middle East ultra-luxury S's in specific color combinations are craved- and can be shipped/delivered to places like UAE/Dubai faster than a new/MB order for that country.

Keep the beat !

My dealer had me sign one. So now you know one.

e_dasani 01-15-2016 10:41 AM

Importing a newer car from Canada in my opinion is not of much value no matter what the currency rate is. For one, Speedometer is in km instead of miles. While GLC odometer is digital, but speedometer is still analog. The difference in currency saving is more than offset by re-sale value. Besides, US dealers have higher markups - will cut you handsome deal, canadian dealers have little to no markup - in the end its about 5k difference. Not to mention, loss of features specific to US, loss of warranty, its no brainer.

Originally Posted by awjenni (Post 6667975)
Surely this can't be done or everyone would be doing it...

Can I buy a new car in Canada and import it into the US? If so, what are the costs and rules?

The MSRP price of the US version GLC that I am considering comes to $60,365 USD.

I just went to the Canadian MB website and "built" what was pretty much the same car with ALL the options I want, PLUS a few more, like 19" wheels without, and off-road package without charge.

The MSRP price on my Canadian build was $62815 CAD.

Using today's exchange rate, that comes to $42,920 USD. Wow!!!

I doubt that mbusa would honor the warranty for one thing.

Al

mikbar2 01-15-2016 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by rbrylaw (Post 6674552)
My dealer had me sign one. So now you know one.

Now you know two.

CharlestownMB 01-15-2016 11:02 PM

... and then there were 3!