GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Hi from Land Down Under - Australia

Old 07-09-2017, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
New Mercedes Ute X series. Teaser released....

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...july-18-reveal

Enjoy.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Paint treatment options in Melbourne.

Facebook, Auto Alchemy in Melbourne, David. Alternatively WaxIt in Tullamarine who market a range of excellent product, . I had NOVA applied to 4 cars (2 x MB), very happy with protection and performance.

Facebook Post

Facebook Post

Facebook Post

Here is a good link for care and treatment of washing, etc.

Wheel coatings are often overlooked items when considering protecting your vehicle.
Not only are wheels subjected to super heated metal and graphite filings that when mixed with water are highly corrosive. They are also exposed to all the same forms of contaminants the painted surfaces are.
This means it's even more important to treat rather than being a negligible item.
Still not convinced? How about how easy it makes them to clean.
Get all your vehicle surfaces protected.

Facebook Post

Enjoy

Last edited by Teckno; 07-10-2017 at 09:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tiger_x (07-11-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 07:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Background:
Jeep Grand Cherokee 2016 was classified "MA" – passenger veh and not "MC" – off road passenger veh. Owner found out that replacing highway tyres with all – terrain tyres was not possible under Australian Design Rules. It appears Ford Everest had this issue and got retrospective approval to alter "MA to "MC". Jeep have done the same now. Australian Motor Vehicle Certification Board has authorised Jeep to provide letters of approval to owners confirming "MC" certification.

Question :
What is GLC certification in Oz ? "MA or MC"... What, if any issues with insurance or various State Road Authorities if the veh was tested and certified with run-flats, and now fitted with normal tyres ?

So two parts really, anyone know GLC classification, given it is 4Matic, and what ,if any, possible issues converting from run flats to conventional tyres ?

Answers:
?????

Thanks
Old 07-12-2017, 09:22 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
The GLC is MA, unlike the Q5 and X3 which are MC. You can see the GLC's category on the sticker on the passenger-side B pillar.

A little quick research suggests that the issue with fitting MC tyres to an MA vehicle is not the style of tyre per se, but the speed rating. You're highly unlikely to find MC tyres with at least as high a speed rating as your current tyres. You may also struggle to find MC tyres in your wheel sizes, although I was told by one tyre shop that the 18" rims would at least give you a fighting chance.

If you do some research you'll quickly find that the MA / MC issues in relation to the vehicles you mentioned were an artefact of those manufacturers trying to minimise the cost of approvals for those vehicles, which seemed to back-fire when they got blow-back from owners who wanted to use the vehicles in ways consistent with their marketing, but which wasn't consistent with the MA rating, hence the retrospective reclassification.

I know you weren't proposing to put MC tyres on your GLCs, and were only pointing out the implications of the ADRs for tyre selection. I can't see that MC / MA raises any specific issues for non-RFT, as both RFT and non-RFT would be MA, you just need to at least maintain the speed rating, which is the exact same issue that you'd have with MC tyres, if you could find some to fit.

There's the general question about whether any change of style of tyre is permitted, even within the MA category. I have discussed fitting non-RFT with my dealer on several occasions and was told this is not uncommon, and they'd just have to fit the tyrefit kit (i.e. put it in the back). Clearly the MB dealer didn't see any problem with making the switch.

None of this constitutes proof that it's ok, but as someone who has recently fitted non-RFT I'm not concerned. They're the same size as one of those that MB optionally fits to this car, same brand of tyre and tread pattern, and a higher speed rating.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:27 AM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Too much government involvement.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:35 PM

GLC 250D
I don't think that diverting this thread into a discussion of differences in attitudes to regulation will be helpful or productive. Most countries will have some regulations about what modifications are allowed. If you research Australian law, the problem that Teckno is alluding to is a lack of clarity about what is allowed, leading to much confusion, made worse by variations between the states, and I bet we're not alone in that. There are also differences in the attitudes of insurers to modifications, and again I bet we're not alone in that either.

p.s. And I don't think that we're as constrained in this country by regulation as Teckno does. The lack of clarity makes some people more risk averse than others.

Last edited by bips; 07-12-2017 at 08:40 PM. Reason: p.s.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi, Yes I am a bit risk adverse, especially when MB Oz cannot confirm use of non run flats and refers me to my Ins coy ! - go figure..

Found this though:

Here are two interesting links to Australian approval of GLC wagon and GLC Coupe.
Looks like regular updates to various versions since Sep 2015 when first submitted for ADR approval. Not sure yet what the tyre codes mean.

http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/pls/w...cedes-Benz+253

http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/perl/...2015143026.cmd
http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/perl/...2016143030.cmd

Cheers
Old 07-14-2017, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC Extended Warranty in Oz.

So far it appears MB Oz do not provide any extended warranty packages, past normal warranty period.
I have tried two companies in Oz that provide such packages for other vehs, but they do not support Mercedes or other European types, due to repair costs.

RedBook, part of CarSales appear to offer packages from 1,2,3 and 5 years with 125,000km ceiling.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of their packages, or know of other insurance companies who might offer extended warranty ?

I might also try Shannons too. Please post if you have any insight in this area. Thanks
Old 07-16-2017, 08:24 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
AMG GLC 43, GLC Coupe 300 2020
Extended Warranty

Originally Posted by Teckno
GLC Extended Warranty in Oz.

So far it appears MB Oz do not provide any extended warranty packages, past normal warranty period.
I have tried two companies in Oz that provide such packages for other vehs, but they do not support Mercedes or other European types, due to repair costs.

RedBook, part of CarSales appear to offer packages from 1,2,3 and 5 years with 125,000km ceiling.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of their packages, or know of other insurance companies who might offer extended warranty ?

I might also try Shannons too. Please post if you have any insight in this area. Thanks
Hi Teckno,

Was not aware that MB does not have extended warranty in OZ. That's a bit alarming really.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC
We were given costs of the extended Warranty, but haven't looked at this yet as still waiting for delivery. 1 Year - $1795, 2 Years - $2495.
Teckno (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 05:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

On MB Aust site they Do Not offer the "Inner peace" of extended warranty for Original Owners..... !!.... only those who buy Certified Pre-Owned vehicles from them, get the trust and reassurance....
My point is they offer 3 years and unlimited Km cover, but you get dumped when it expires.
If you sell your car to them at say year 4 and they resell it, the second owner is allowed to purchase extended warranty; but not the original owner - go figure. Maybe an incentive to churn and buy a new car every 4 years...
The former Factory owned Dealerships did not or were not allowed to offer extended warranty to original owners.
However I have found that Allianz have a commercial arrangement with other Mercedes Dealers which allows first /original owners to buy extended warranty in two categories, namely "New Veh" and "Assured" . It is both time or time and distance restricted. Still better than nothing. Prices still to be obtained.
Redbook also sell another warranty service, but I need to see the PDS for "what's in" and "what's out".

I did offer to sell my GLC to the dealer for a $1.00 and buy it back for $1.50 so he made a profit, thereby qualifying me for the "inner peace" they speak about in securing extended warranty - He said No... Well at least I tried. Hopefully the new Chinese Corporate (who owns 51 Mercedes dealerships around the world) will look more favourably on the Allianz model and offer it to their valued customers, both past and present here in sunny Melbourne. The Allianz model needs to be purchased before the last day of OEM warranty expires. You can buy now on the hope that if prices go up, you got it cheaper, it does not start till the OEM finishes.
The other interesting issues is how the Insurance Industry worked out the claims history of the GLC, given 99% will only start expiring from January 2019 onwards.
Anyway I'm seriously going to explore the other Dealers and their pricing for the Allianz product. You can have your veh serviced anywhere, as long as it follows MB criteria - I would still go to a MB Dealer especially when under extended waranty.
wmc021 (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 11:12 PM

GLC 250D
I did offer to sell my GLC to the dealer for a $1.00 and buy it back for $1.50 so he made a profit, thereby qualifying me for the "inner peace" they speak about in securing extended warranty - He said No... Well at least I tried.
There would have been the little problem of two lots of stamp duty to be paid on two transfers of ownership had he said yes.

And then there are restrictions imposed on dealers by MBA. As I found out when I was considering purchasing a low kms interstate demonstrator last year. The purchase implicitly included stamp duty, and I would have had to pay it again when I reregistered the car in my home state. MBA now prevents dealers from de-registering demonstrators. So MBA would probably have rules against your idea as well.

I know you weren't serious. I'm just pretending to be a lawyer by pointing out all the possible pitfalls.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:39 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
AMG GLC 43, GLC Coupe 300 2020
On MB Aust site they Do Not offer the "Inner peace" of extended warranty for Original Owners..... !!.... only those who buy Certified Pre-Owned vehicles from them, get the trust and reassurance....
My point is they offer 3 years and unlimited Km cover, but you get dumped when it expires.
If you sell your car to them at say year 4 and they resell it, the second owner is allowed to purchase extended warranty; but not the original owner - go figure. Maybe an incentive to churn and buy a new car every 4 years...
The former Factory owned Dealerships did not or were not allowed to offer extended warranty to original owners.
However I have found that Allianz have a commercial arrangement with other Mercedes Dealers which allows first /original owners to buy extended warranty in two categories, namely "New Veh" and "Assured" . It is both time or time and distance restricted. Still better than nothing. Prices still to be obtained.
Redbook also sell another warranty service, but I need to see the PDS for "what's in" and "what's out".

I did offer to sell my GLC to the dealer for a $1.00 and buy it back for $1.50 so he made a profit, thereby qualifying me for the "inner peace" they speak about in securing extended warranty - He said No... Well at least I tried. Hopefully the new Chinese Corporate (who owns 51 Mercedes dealerships around the world) will look more favourably on the Allianz model and offer it to their valued customers, both past and present here in sunny Melbourne. The Allianz model needs to be purchased before the last day of OEM warranty expires. You can buy now on the hope that if prices go up, you got it cheaper, it does not start till the OEM finishes.
The other interesting issues is how the Insurance Industry worked out the claims history of the GLC, given 99% will only start expiring from January 2019 onwards.
Anyway I'm seriously going to explore the other Dealers and their pricing for the Allianz product. You can have your veh serviced anywhere, as long as it follows MB criteria - I would still go to a MB Dealer especially when under extended waranty.
Great work Teckno....Thanks for the research I shall be having the conversation with my dealer about the Allianz warranty.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bips
There would have been the little problem of two lots of stamp duty to be paid on two transfers of ownership had he said yes.

And then there are restrictions imposed on dealers by MBA. As I found out when I was considering purchasing a low kms interstate demonstrator last year. The purchase implicitly included stamp duty, and I would have had to pay it again when I reregistered the car in my home state. MBA now prevents dealers from de-registering demonstrators. So MBA would probably have rules against your idea as well.

I know you weren't serious. I'm just pretending to be a lawyer by pointing out all the possible pitfalls.

Thanks bips, I really appreciate the friendly 'banter' from this site.

Yes I was stretching reality with the $1.50 ! But I really am 'concerned' that someone in Corporate does not see the double standards portrayed by their very conscious management decisions to exclude supporting their original owners, given the fact, without original owners, MB Oz could not sell 'quality pre owned" cars.

This might have worked 10 years ago, but with the Web now, with middle income earners owning Eurpoean vehs, and a more discerning Generation type, MB should reconsider their Corporate approach. MB will be left at the 'money alter', without a groom, bride or life partner as those buyers take up OEM warranty that is growing from the old 3 year model to 8 years, and alike.

If the OEM cannot see their way clear to extend their 3 year warranty, they need to supplement it with an 'endorsed' after market package that supports their 'Quality" image.

It will be interesting to see how MB puts their 'spin' on the new X series Ute; which is a Nissan Navara (owned by Renault), I wonder what the warranty arrangements will be in the Nissan Showroom ?

MB owners will feel very alone if their life partner (Corporate) continues to act solo and not in a sharing, consulting manner.

Just some random thoughts !!!
Old 07-20-2017, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just in, hot off the Press, so to speak...

Mercedes-Benz recalls three million diesels over emissions problems

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/le...-Benz%20recall

Posted on UK Motor site that is usually very accurate in reporting – Not sure what , if any, impact on Australian vehicles ?

Time will tell.
Thought I was safe moving from a diesel with VW, !!!
Still love my GLC Diesel.
Maybe this is why no diesel approval in USA for GLC ??
bips (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

These are the current summary of UK recalls for MB.

R/2017/096 MERCEDES BENZ A Class, B Class, C Class, E Class, GLC, CLA & GLA starting current limiter may overload
R/2017/179 MERCEDES BENZ A-Class, B-Class, CLA & GLA vacuum line brake booster may break
R/2017/177 MERCEDES BENZ A-class, B-Class, E-Class CLA & GLA airbag may not deploy correctly
R/2017/161 MERCEDES BENZ CLA (117), GLA (156) left window airbag may not deploy as intended
R/2017/160 MERCEDES BENZ CLA (117), GLA (156) left and right window airbags may fail to deploy as intended
R/2017/162 MERCEDES BENZ CLA (117), GLA (156) right window airbag may fail to deploy as intended
R/2017/161 MERCEDES BENZ CLA (117), GLA (156) left window airbag may not deploy as intended

Air bag reason, Mercedes-Benz is recalling more than 1000 A-Class, B-Class, E-Class, CLA-Class and GLA-Class cars. But that’s not the only Mercedes-Benz recall this month – almost 5000 cars are being recalled over potential brake failure.

Meanwhile, 75,000 other Mercedes-Benz models across the range are being recalled because of a potential overheating and fire risk – although this problem is only said to occur when the engine has already seized up and the driver is attempting to start it – so it’s a low risk problem.

In the scheme of things, numbers are small and so far minimum impact here in Oz.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No one in the Corporate world recalls that many cars at significant time and cost, not to mention the 'fear' factor without 'reason'.
So my 'jury' is out on that at the moment.
I am however worried that VW owners have reported lots of issues after they have had the software fix. Again, could be co-incidental timing and people looking for problems, but ? Again the MB issue may be totally different. Not suggesting any wrong doing, maybe ignorance at the time and with better thinking and technology have now identified a short coming.
As I said, I love my GLC, love the power and the fuel economy.
However hate the tyre crabbing when cold and wet on our RHD unit.
Time will tell.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:26 PM

GLC 250D
I'm not wild about the idea of a software change of the sort described either, in light of the VW etc experience. I'd need more information to be convinced. Interesting that it's not compulsory, either from MB or government.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:27 PM

GLC 250D
NYT on the diesel non-recall by MB:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/18/b...emissions.html

There's also a later article about a similar decision by Audi.
Teckno (07-22-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 08:49 PM

GLC 250D
Over on the diesel forum someone posted a link to a Forbes article about anti-trust investigations into the major German auto manufacturers, flowing in part from diesel-gate. Makes for very worrying reading.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wheels Magazine - 2017 - first 6 months data - Mercedes & GLC.....

2017 half-year car sales review – the surprise winners
By Tony O’KaneJul 25, 2017News

IN THE first six months of this year, Australians collectively bought 599,552 new cars.
Forecasts of a cooling economy apparently aren’t enough to decrease our appetite for new vehicles, and if the second half of 2017 is even just a smidge stronger than the first, the market could be on a trajectory to sell more than 1.2 million vehicles for the first time ever.
Growth in sales has admittedly tapered off compared to the first half of 2016, but even so there have been plenty of winners so far in 2017. Here are the standout performers so far:
Medium SUVs

Mercedes-Benz

As the other German luxury marques struggled (Audi is down 12.0 percent year-to-date, BMW is down 18.5 percent), Mercedes-Benz bucked the trend and gained ground in the first six months of 2017.
With 22,318 cars sold so far this year, Benz posted a 7.9 percent gain on its 2016 figures. Looking at the sales tables, it’s no surprise: the C-Class, mainstay of Benz’s lineup, continues to sell well and remains Australia’s second-most popular mid-size car; the E-Class has been handily outselling its rivals since a new-gen model launched last year; the A-Class even managed to grow sales and the C-Class coupe has hit the ground running to claim second spot in the Sports Car category.

The only disappointments lie in Benz’s SUV performance. Despite growth in the small and medium luxury SUV segments, the GLA-Class, GLC-Class and GLE-Class all recorded negative growth in the first half. The GLC suffered particularly badly, but Mercedes-Benz Australia say it’s being hurt by poor supply for that model – the world can’t get enough of the GLC, and the Aussie allocation is being squeezed as a result.
If supply improved, Benz reckons they could sell at least 10 to 15 percent more. Benz also notes that it accumulated significant numbers of cars in the country in anticipation of strong post-launch sales, setting a high bar in the first half of 2016 that would be near-impossible to equal once the supply chain settled down. Right now, however, the GLC wears a 2-3 month waiting list on new orders.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

JD Power new survey results for USA, Their APEAL Study.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...mage=100616053
GLC second in Compact Premium SUV category, Porsche Macan first and BMW X3 third.
Overall with all main premium and non premium brands Porsche first , score 884.
Merc is 5th behind Genesis, BMW and Audi with score of 851. Premium average score 845. Non premium average score 804.
Interesting results for other brands such as VW, Lexus, Toyota and Mazda too.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Found this on our Australian site - Might be of interest.

"Not sure if it's crabbing related or not however when turning corners particularly to the right the car makes an odd humming noise. Asked the dealer and they said this is normal and the humming noise is coming from the AWD system.

Has anyone else experienced this? Will take it to the dealer on the weekend so they can hear the noise in person if I get the time.
=============================
Has anyone else experienced this? Will take it to the dealer on the weekend so they can hear the noise in person if I get the time.

No, I don't get the humming noise, or that I'm not aware of, I will double check.

Asked the dealer and they said this is normal and the humming noise is coming from the AWD system.

It seems that every issue with the GLC are deemed to be normal according to Mercedes unless it's a safety issue.
===============================

Re the humming issue, I noticed this the day I collected the car (early July). It was happening when I was turning left or right, a kind of groaning coming from the rear of the car (most certainly NOT crabbing). Went back to the dealer a couple of days later – the third tech in the car with me called it straight away. Problem with the diff.

There is a service bulletin for certain GLCs which had a diff put in them which has the wrong diff oil. The fix was to change the diff oil and then drive for 50ks. Mine has had this done and it completely solved the issue.

The only problem is that I got the last oil in the country. Apparently there is now a 2 – 4 week wait while they get more from Germany. It is just a harmonics issue – there is no damage to the car at all (according to the tech).
============================
Re: diff oil, I'd be interested in seeing that service bulletin.
===========================

Hope this helps, might be only for exports to Australia ?
Old 08-06-2017, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Extended Warranty options.
Saga continues, several quotes from other MB dealers ranging from $2500 to $3500 for extra 3 years and total 200,000km, Can reduce premium if add an extra excess to any claim. Still reading fine print.
Recently advised ins coy called ERIC, also offers extended warranty along same lines as ALLIANZ, but a 'lot' ? cheaper premium. Looking into that now.
Anyone had experience with Coy called ERIC ? Thanks
Old 08-12-2017, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re extended warranty for my GLC's and daughters Mazda.
Well the hunt continues, at this stage just reading through the PdS to see whats in and whats excluded.
Think I will lock in ERIC as insurer and select the 5 year extension, with a 200k limit; that way cars are covered for full 8 years as we intend keeping them and I will not be travelling more than 200k in those 8 years, more like 140-160k. Pricing looks to be sub $2500 for each car, sub $2000 for Mazda, which is cheaper than Allianz costs supplied by some MB dealers, but a bit dearer than Mazda dealer policy, which is very restrictive.
So some peace of mind as ERIC policy seems to mirror OEM Mercedes first 3 year warranty.
I am dealing with an Insurance Broker who seems very reasonable with options and recommendations; though still leaving me options for myself to make final decision, based on our own circumstances; being offered choices is most appealing, not a "one size fits all" approach some take.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Hi from Land Down Under - Australia