GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

I just bought a GLC300 and there is no Jack in the trunk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 11:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW
You can plug runflats no problem just like any other tire, the concern shops have is has the tire been abused (speed) and/or run flat for an excessive period of time, this is difficult to tell and opens them up to liability if the tire fails down the line.

I know someone who drove on a runflat FLAT for a week.

If you get a flat and deal with it quickly shouldn't be an issue.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:46 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by index1489
You can plug runflats no problem just like any other tire, the concern shops have is has the tire been abused (speed) and/or run flat for an excessive period of time, this is difficult to tell and opens them up to liability if the tire fails down the line.

I know someone who drove on a runflat FLAT for a week.

If you get a flat and deal with it quickly shouldn't be an issue.
Don't have first hand knowledge of driving for an extended period of time but have heard several similar stories.

Not something to be condoned but there may have been extenuating circumstances, like, no money, the need to get to work, ect.

Maybe not smart, assuming the puncture was in the tread area, the tire most likely could have been saved. On the other hand, driving a week on it deflated would most assuredly render it unrepairable.

But the quote lends credence to what I've saying from the start, that runflat tires can be driven with little concern with low or no pressure. That is why they are identified as runflat, extended mobility or MBExtended.

Last edited by larrypmyers; 03-26-2016 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:05 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 C8, 2020 defender 110X, 2019 720S, 2014 GLK 350 4matic, 2015 escalade platinum, 2013 RRS HSELux
At least the glk has a jack in the box!
Old 03-28-2016, 03:54 PM

Slk, Subaru, Toyota
Originally Posted by diesseldoc
I beg to differ with sailcamp. You are not suppose to plug run flats!!!.
You shouldnt drive on them very far either so whats your point? Flat run flat in BFE on a road trip you plug it and enjoy the rest of your trip. The main safety factor of a run flat is that you wont have a massive tire failure shortly after loosing pressure. Drive on a run flat 20-30 -50 miles the tires structure is compromised and must be replaced. Plug it and your fine but still need to replace it eventually.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:48 PM

BMW
Originally Posted by Sailcamp
You shouldnt drive on them very far either so whats your point? Flat run flat in BFE on a road trip you plug it and enjoy the rest of your trip. The main safety factor of a run flat is that you wont have a massive tire failure shortly after loosing pressure. Drive on a run flat 20-30 -50 miles the tires structure is compromised and must be replaced. Plug it and your fine but still need to replace it eventually.
I said it a million times, and I'll say it again, the reason manufactures/tire shops have these policies to not repair run flat tires is simply to cover them from liability.

If the tire is repaired in short order and not abused, your okay. Its called being a smart consumer. If you want to go out and replace a $300 tire go ahead and improve the economy.

I've repaired 5 runflats in my BMW, and tore through the California mountains with confidence each time.
The repairs were free and done at America's Tire.

Never had an issue and the repair lasted perfectly through the remaining life of the tire. I've even repaired the same tire twice.

If you really want to be careful you can get yourself a small compressor in the trunk with some TPMS safe fix a flat and use that during a flat so you've never driven the tire on zero pressure.

Last edited by index1489; 03-28-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 160 Likes on 151 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Thanks. Good advice!
Old 03-28-2016, 05:30 PM

Slk, Subaru, Toyota
Originally Posted by index1489
I said it a million times, and I'll say it again, the reason manufactures/tire shops have these policies to not repair run flat tires is simply to cover them from liability.

If the tire is repaired in short order and not abused, your okay. Its called being a smart consumer. If you want to go out and replace a $300 tire go ahead and improve the economy.

I've repaired 5 runflats in my BMW, and tore through the California mountains with confidence each time.
The repairs were free and done at America's Tire.

Never had an issue and the repair lasted perfectly through the remaining life of the tire. I've even repaired the same tire twice.

If you really want to be careful you can get yourself a small compressor in the trunk with some TPMS safe fix a flat and use that during a flat so you've never driven the tire on zero pressure.
So have I and thats my point. We are after all on a thread where people swear that $10 a tire for nitrogen gas is the cats meow. LOL whats $300 for a tire? Or $1000 for 4 because the awd version wont tolerate xx diameter difference. Yup...
Old 03-28-2016, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by sblvro
That's a good thing since the vehicle came with non-runflat tires.
The following users liked this post:
Dan Diego (04-03-2019)
Old 03-28-2016, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sailcamp
I've said it before and will say it again. Driving a deflated MBExtended tire with a simple puncture will not damage it and with proper repair it can be returned to service.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 160 Likes on 151 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Thank you!!!!
Old 07-07-2017, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GLC300
LOL - I read this thread and had to reply.

I got a flat on my 16 GLC in the middle of nowhere on a Friday night while driving through middle of nowhere North Carolina. Ended up having to stay there TWO FULL DAYS waiting for dealership to open to get a new tire. None of the other local places even carried a matching tire. Dealership was nice about it, but lesson learned. Not buying another car without a spare.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:43 AM

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Rousen Zhou
LOL - I read this thread and had to reply.

I got a flat on my 16 GLC in the middle of nowhere on a Friday night while driving through middle of nowhere North Carolina. Ended up having to stay there TWO FULL DAYS waiting for dealership to open to get a new tire. None of the other local places even carried a matching tire. Dealership was nice about it, but lesson learned. Not buying another car without a spare.
Did they refuse to repair it because it was an rft or was it a side wall damage and unrepairable?

Still amazed at the silliness of rfts in general. Definitely a step backwards in my book
Old 07-08-2017, 10:12 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 GLC300, 13 PorscheC4S, 12 Porsche Cayman S
Originally Posted by ajmtbm
Did they refuse to repair it because it was an rft or was it a side wall damage and unrepairable?

Still amazed at the silliness of rfts in general. Definitely a step backwards in my book
This isn't about customer safety or convenience as the auto manuf. have tried to spin it. It is all about fuel economy standards that are harder and harder to meet and still have something to sell that the public will buy. No spare/jack/etc. means less weight and more MPG. And before someone replies that it couldn't possibly make any difference, we are down to splitting hairs to get any small amount is improvement during the EPA drive cycle.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:25 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300, 2015 F-350 Platinum, 1969 Mach 1 428cj, 2007 Roadking
Originally Posted by BigDeeLA
Larry how long would you guess the thread life on the Mercedes runflats to last.. For 18 inch wheel? For 19 inch? And for the AMG 20 inch which come with tires 255/45/20?
We got 21,000 on our 19's and the moe has no tread wear warranty. Bought new Bridgestone DriveGuards from Americas Tires for 240 out the door each with road hazard warranty and 60,000 mile tread life warranty. They also drive better than the moe's.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:40 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
W203 C350; Lexus GS450h; GLC250 AMG Line
I am looking to buy a car jack for my GLC... What is the minimum or maximum height the jack should be specced for?

The usual sedan car jacks don't seem to be able to lift the GLC quite high enough to lift the wheels off the ground.
Attached Thumbnails I just bought a GLC300 and there is no Jack in the trunk-20170710_075600-picsay.jpg  
Old 03-06-2019, 09:42 AM

GLC300
Not according to the MB dealer my wife went to, she only drove a short distance on the flat, but they insisted she buy a replacement tire as they do not plug run flats. I am about to change all tires as they are toast at 20K and the noise and ride from them are unacceptable, I returned to the dealer twice as I thought the noise was a bearing going, all the dealer did was reduce the tire pressure to the lowest pressure before the TPS went off. I picked up a spare and the kit to change tire from eBay and will be putting non run flats on for a number of reasons. 1. They are cheaper and last much longer. 2. they ride much better and quieter 3. I drive from NJ to Maine many times at night I get a puncture on a run flat I'm screwed.

If you like run flats, good for you. The GLC was not designed for run flats, just look under the cover in the back.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 GLC 300 4-Matic
Originally Posted by John Bloy
Not according to the MB dealer my wife went to, she only drove a short distance on the flat, but they insisted she buy a replacement tire as they do not plug run flats. I am about to change all tires as they are toast at 20K and the noise and ride from them are unacceptable, I returned to the dealer twice as I thought the noise was a bearing going, all the dealer did was reduce the tire pressure to the lowest pressure before the TPS went off. I picked up a spare and the kit to change tire from eBay and will be putting non run flats on for a number of reasons. 1. They are cheaper and last much longer. 2. they ride much better and quieter 3. I drive from NJ to Maine many times at night I get a puncture on a run flat I'm screwed.

If you like run flats, good for you. The GLC was not designed for run flats, just look under the cover in the back.
Agreed! And as for fixing your tire, just take it to a local tire shop and they'll most likely fix it for you if the puncture is not on the side.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,105 Likes on 810 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
2020 GLC this next model yr will have a "Mini-Spare" option available.... won't know if it will be backwards capable until we see it in the flesh..
Old 03-06-2019, 10:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2009 ML350 and 2018 GLC
You can purchase a tool kit from the dealer parts dept which includes a jack. Tool kit cost $70.
The following users liked this post:
Dan Diego (04-03-2019)
Old 06-16-2020, 05:04 PM

2017 GLC300
Originally Posted by larrypmyers
If your vehicle is delivered with runflat tires it will not have a jack, lugwrench, inflator kit, spare tire or anything else to change a tire. Why? Because with runflats you will probably never be in a situation where you will need to change a tire.

Should you get a TPMS warning, stop, inspect the tire and surrounding wheel well to ensure there is nothing more serious going on. If the tire is deflated but otherwise intact, at reduced speed continue on to the nearest MB dealer or tire shop. The beauty of runflats. You don't end up on the muddy shoulder of a deserted road in the middle of the night.

Not to worry about damaging the expensive alloy wheel as the stiff tire sidewall will not allow the wheel to come into contact with the pavement. As a matter of fact, when looking at a car with runflats and one of the tires is at zero pressure you will not be able to tell which tire it is because it will look normal. I recently saw a photo of a runflat with a hole in the sidewall large enough to stick your fist through. Even with such massive damage the driver was able to drive to the tire shop.

If a tire has had the inflator kit used some tire shops will refuse to attempt repair. The reason being the material left by the kit must be thoroughly cleaned, a tedious and time consuming task I'm told.

There have been several posts disparaging runflat tires. These comments would have been true 15 or 20 years ago. However, todays modern tires such as on our GLC, possess none of the undesirable characteristics of early runflats. Treadwear life, ride quality, durability and cost rival any non runflat. And the best part, I don't need a damm jack and lugwrench.

My thought is, runflats are the best thing since canned beer!!
Well, after 2 sets f run flats replaced due to tread wear, under 30 K miles I'l respectfully disagree. Over priced, rough riding and unacceptable tread wear for the amount you spend.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC 300 suv
Originally Posted by lin8810
Tires could be the most expensive "consumable" parts on the car. I would also like to know the life of runflats on GLC. 3 years? 50K miles? or?

And, what would be the cost if replace the same runflats for 4 wheels? Or we just go to Costco and get regular tires for SUV?

I've been told if you get 18-20 k out of the Perrelli's your lucky.. I have almost 10k on mine about 3/32 tread left. 18 tire base 2019 suv 38lb psi
Old 06-18-2020, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Lot of external factors impact on you tyre life and distance.
We managed about 42-45000km on Pirelli Verde - summer tyre run flats. I’m nearly at 38,000km on All Season runflats - Goodyears and estimate I’ll need to change at 55-60,000km range.
Key issues is to regularly rotate tyres, annual wheel align, tyre pressure check and run around 36-37psi cold (if tyre warm add 3psi)
Another factor is “Tyre wear” rating on each tyre. Pirelli had low 400 rating, Goodyear I think had higher rating of 550 ? Bigger number longer drive distance.
A good guide in USA is their Gtee life in distance - something not avail in UK or Australia - it gives you a better guess as to how far they will drive.
Other factors include road surface, dirt, concrete smooth or aggressive /rough asphalt/ bitumen. Long drives little braking or stop start and slippery roads.
Good luck.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:04 PM

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
I have the pirelli Scorpion RFT 18", at about 30k miles they are pretty worn. I guessing can maybe get to 35k before they are at the wear bars.
many miles ago they started getting louder. overall i have not been impressed with them
Old 06-19-2020, 05:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC 300 suv
Originally Posted by sblvro

I prefer the IN n OUT burgers,, LOL
Old 07-17-2024, 08:37 PM

2007 SL550
Stock tires are garbage.

Originally Posted by lin8810
Tires could be the most expensive "consumable" parts on the car. I would also like to know the life of runflats on GLC. 3 years? 50K miles? or?

And, what would be the cost if replace the same runflats for 4 wheels? Or we just go to Costco and get regular tires for SUV?
I just purchased a GLC 300 with 11,800 miles on it and the tires are down to the wear bars. At over $1000 a set that's going to get expensive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I just bought a GLC300 and there is no Jack in the trunk