GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Screeching Brakes on the GLC

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 GLC300, 13 PorscheC4S, 12 Porsche Cayman S
Originally Posted by greenbe
I have the same issue on my GLC however; since I live in Northern CA the screeching brakes only happen in the winter when I back out of the garage. The car is at the mechanic today and he suggested to switch to a type of rotor that doesn't attract rust. Has anyone done this switch and did it work? Thanks
Good luck with that!
Old 12-31-2017, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,418 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I just ordered a loaded GLC300 a few days ago, but just read all NINETEEN pages of this thread. GEEZE! This is just crazy that this problem has been unsolved for what is becoming YEARS now. I think I’m going to cancel the order. I’m a big MB fan (we currently have three), but I’m also one who is highly disturbed by noises, especially the type of noise associated with squeaky brakes. It is truly amazing, when you think of the experience M.B. has in building vehicles, that something like this still happens. And then, for them to not, IMMEDIATELY come up with a PERFECT, solid fix for the problem, when we KNOW that they can. It’s pretty depressing. Good luck to all you folks who are still suffering with this. What a mess.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:57 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GenesisG70 '20 GLC300 DakotaBrwn/Silk '16
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I just ordered a loaded GLC300 a few days ago, but just read all NINETEEN pages of this thread. GEEZE! This is just crazy that this problem has been unsolved for what is becoming YEARS now. I think I’m going to cancel the order. I’m a big MB fan (we currently have three), but I’m also one who is highly disturbed by noises, especially the type of noise associated with squeaky brakes. It is truly amazing, when you think of the experience M.B. has in building vehicles, that something like this still happens. And then, for them to not, IMMEDIATELY come up with a PERFECT, solid fix for the problem, when we KNOW that they can. It’s pretty depressing. Good luck to all you folks who are still suffering with this. What a mess.
I can understand the frustration with this issue. But really, do you believe MB can come up with a solution quickly? I would think they would want a fix ASAP. They know this isn't helping sales nor the brand.. why wouldn't they try to get a fix in ASAP? FWIW, I've had mine redone in the summer and the sqeak is back.. though less. Strange since it took some miles for it to show initially yet it returned pretty quickly (i.e, not 7k miles )
Old 12-31-2017, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,418 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by RedwinGV
I can understand the frustration with this issue. But really, do you believe MB can come up with a solution quickly? I would think they would want a fix ASAP. They know this isn't helping sales nor the brand.. why wouldn't they try to get a fix in ASAP? FWIW, I've had mine redone in the summer and the sqeak is back.. though less. Strange since it took some miles for it to show initially yet it returned pretty quickly (i.e, not 7k miles )
My personal feeling is that M.B. has expanded their line of passenger cars too greatly, in too short of a time. The same dealer facilities that were handling maybe half the models and half the volume ten years ago, are, in many cases, overwhelmed today. Something tells me that similar problems are appearing in other areas of the company, not visible to customers, resulting in simple problems going properly unattended to for months and, apparently now, even years. I’m sorry, but for an engineering juggernaut like MB to not be able, or as it appears even WILLING to fix a seemingly, simple problem such as noted in this thread, that’s unacceptable. I was going to get the GLC just as a knock around utility vehicle (It’s not cool picking up 2x4’s from Home Depot and having them stick out the window of your S550), but I think I’ll just get a little Honda CR-V instead. So, to any of you who are still fighting with your dealer over squeaking brakes, you can tell them you know of at least one guy who canceled his GLC order after hearing of this monumental mess M.B. has caused so many of their customers.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:35 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by RedwinGV
I admit to my patience wearing thin while waiting for a call from Mercedes informing me that another version of replacement brake pads has arrived. I agree that Mercedes, more than anyone, wants to see this problem go away ASAP. And so did Audi who took 4 yrs to solve exactly the same problem on some of its A and Q models. BMW, VW, (and, yes, even) Porsche had or are having their turns as well. It’s definitely not unique to the GLC, but it seems to be a uniquely German brake thing.

Last week new front pads (latest version) were installed on my GLC – now quiet as a church mouse. Fingers crossed.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:51 PM

Received 133 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 EQB300
My 2018 GLC300W4 breaks started squealing about a week ago in the extreme cold weather. Had the car 10 weeks and have 2200 miles on it. Set up appointment with dealer for 1/3 and intend just to ask them to replace the pads and the lubricant rather than going through the exercise of "let us keep us overnight and see if we can replicate it." It is a well-known issue and I'm certain they have seen it before. Will post my results....
Old 01-03-2018, 11:41 AM

Received 133 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 EQB300
Waiting for vehicle now. Service Advisor says that the brake pads are a known issue and that MB has sent them the newly-designed part. They are just replacing them on customer demand
Old 01-03-2018, 12:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Honda Accord
Quick question for the GLC community on the screeching brakes; Does this affect the GLC43 AMG model at all? Haven't seen anyone address this here. I ordered the 43 model and want to know what to expect.
Any helpful insight into this is very much appreciated!
Old 01-03-2018, 12:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC43 & C300
Just spoke with my dealer on the phone. Again, I complained of the noise. She said, a lot of customers are complaining about it. She said they received a bulletin from Mercedes, which said parts to fix this will not be available until 2019, yes 2019.

I said it was unacceptable.Essentially said too bad, call Mercedes Corporate.

I said why do I have to call Mercedes. Aren't you the dealer, shouldn't you go to bat for me. She is going to speak with the service manager.

nsoltz: Do you have any information about this "newly designed part," that my dealer knows nothing about?

NOT Happy with Mercedes right now.

-John
Old 01-03-2018, 07:02 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by AverageGuy
Just spoke with my dealer on the phone. Again, I complained of the noise. She said, a lot of customers are complaining about it. She said they received a bulletin from Mercedes, which said parts to fix this will not be available until 2019, yes 2019.

I said it was unacceptable.Essentially said too bad, call Mercedes Corporate.

I said why do I have to call Mercedes. Aren't you the dealer, shouldn't you go to bat for me. She is going to speak with the service manager.

nsoltz: Do you have any information about this "newly designed part," that my dealer knows nothing about?

NOT Happy with Mercedes right now.

-John
wow. that is unbelievable. they must be redesigning the entire underside of the vehicle.
so based on my experience i guess every 4k miles or i go into get new pads to keep the noise down until they get me an updated part.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC43 & C300
Originally Posted by ajmtbm
wow. that is unbelievable. they must be redesigning the entire underside of the vehicle.
so based on my experience i guess every 4k miles or i go into get new pads to keep the noise down until they get me an updated part.
They told me they wouldn't even put new brake pads. On the initial call, they told me they will do NOTHING. I'm still waiting for a call back. We shall see.

-John
Old 01-04-2018, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by AverageGuy
They told me they wouldn't even put new brake pads. On the initial call, they told me they will do NOTHING. I'm still waiting for a call back. We shall see.

-John
Had my front and rear pads replaced. I have not had the noise return. It seems every dealer has a different story about whether there is a fix or not.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW X3
Drove the car for almost 1 and half years, have the front/rear breaks replaced twice. I feel there is no update for the breaks, they just replace the breaks every time until the noise comes back. I am glad I chose to lease this car instead of own it.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by dieseldoc
Had my front and rear pads replaced. I have not had the noise return. It seems every dealer has a different story about whether there is a fix or not.
how many miles since replacement? are you in a cold climate?
Old 01-05-2018, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
It has been 4000 miles. Live in DFW. Temp has been recently in 20s at night 40s day. No noise. It had noise before replacement with similar temps.
The following users liked this post:
ajmtbm (01-07-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by romeodeng007
Drove the car for almost 1 and half years, have the front/rear breaks replaced twice. I feel there is no update for the breaks, they just replace the breaks every time until the noise comes back. I am glad I chose to lease this car instead of own it.
Question I have is how often will they replace. If every 3k miles I get a loaner for a day and get new brakes and a free car wash that's not the worst thing in the world.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:17 PM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300
Question I have is how often will they replace. If every 3k miles I get a loaner for a day and get new brakes and a free car wash that's not the worst thing in the world.
Not all dealers are doing that. Some are being "difficult" and others claim they cannot get the parts for 6 months. My dealer has been fairly responsive.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:47 PM
DBV

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 GLC and 2017 BMW 530xi M-Sport
Same here, my dealer has been really responsive. Especially, since this is our fifth brake job in two years.

Originally Posted by Jetfuture
Not all dealers are doing that. Some are being "difficult" and others claim they cannot get the parts for 6 months. My dealer has been fairly responsive.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by DBV
Same here, my dealer has been really responsive. Especially, since this is our fifth brake job in two years.

Wow. How many miles and did they just replace the pads each time? Front or rear or both?
Old 01-06-2018, 11:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 BMW 435i Coupe
Hello everyone,

I have 2017 GLC 300 non sport purchased in September 2016. Took the car in for squeeze when reversing. Dealer told me it is a know issue. Mercedes has a fix but it is not covered under warranty. I would have to pay myself. How do I go about to get this fix under warranty???
Old 01-07-2018, 07:14 AM
DBV

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 GLC and 2017 BMW 530xi M-Sport
We have 31,000 miles now. They have done both. Most recent as of two weeks ago was front.

Wow. How many miles and did they just replace the pads each time? Front or rear or both?
Old 01-07-2018, 08:31 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 GLC300, 13 PorscheC4S, 12 Porsche Cayman S
Originally Posted by reddemon73
Hello everyone,

I have 2017 GLC 300 non sport purchased in September 2016. Took the car in for squeeze when reversing. Dealer told me it is a know issue. Mercedes has a fix but it is not covered under warranty. I would have to pay myself. How do I go about to get this fix under warranty???
Tell them you would like an appointment with the zone manager to discuss the issue.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:56 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC 300
Please read all: Got my 2018 GLC 3 months ago and it has 2400 miles. I too have the brake squeal in reverse but also happened in forward yesterday when it was 15 degrees out. I took it in today for that issue as well as 3 others. The second issue is the vibrating steering wheel when going over 55 mph over seams and small bumps in the road. Third issue is my radio is not working. I get "Device Unavailable" when I choose radio. The media(usb stick) and cd/dvd work fine. Last issue is misaligned chrome trim on both passenger side doors. If you look at the top of the doors just above the door handles there is chrome trim that runs the length of the doors. When the doors are closed the trim on each door is higher then the mating part. They are perfect on the driver side. Will someone please check and see if this is an issue on your car? It really looks sloppy and not like a luxury car. Does anyone else have the steering or radio issue? Or a solution? Thanks.
P.S. Also have the shuddering wiper issue but decided not to bring that one up at this point as they seem to be smoothing out with use but they were brutally bad early on.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
No screeching brakes yet (only have about 1,200 miles) and no vibrating steering wheel or radio issue. Also our GLC does not have any chrome trim on the doors. I wonder if the dealer installed them.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:10 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 GLC 43 & 2014 SLK 350, gone 2016 E63 Wagon
I have a 2018 GLC43 with 2100km (1300 mi), no brake issues or any other issues - even though it has been -20oC recently. It has performed perfectly. I know that the others have reported that squealing brakes starts with more miles but so far this is a great vehicle!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Screeching Brakes on the GLC