MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLC Class (X253) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253-203/)
-   -   Screeching Brakes on the GLC (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253/621420-screeching-brakes-glc.html)

nycrounders 04-07-2016 03:43 PM

Screeching Brakes on the GLC

I wanted to start a post to track this issue. If someone has this resolved, please let me know.

Does anyone else have this issue of screeching brakes when pulling out of the garage or driveway? The issue comes and goes depending on the day. Usually when the weather is cooler. The sound is loud and annoying for a new car.

Is there a fix for this issue?

I brought my GLC into my service center and gave them the bulletins as posted in this forum:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ng-brakes.html

LI 42.10-P-060688 - Install special order shims for front brakes to eliminate cold weather squeal to adjust the angle of the pad
and this bulletin LI#: LI42.10-P-063311

I was told that those are for the C300 and doesn't apply to for the GLC. No solution for the GLC as of now.

JEVA 04-07-2016 04:25 PM

Check some of the posts here: https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class...ml#post6739097

nycrounders 04-07-2016 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by JEVA (Post 6764247)

I read those posts as well but didn't seem like there was any solution over in there as well. I'm at around 1,700 miles on the car and the issue is still around.

If my service center calls with a solution I'll let everyone know as well.

DBV 04-07-2016 05:30 PM

We have the same issue and at 3,300 miles now. Inexcusable and embarrassing, for a luxury SUV. No fix for it so far, but hopefully taking it back in next week.

dieseldoc 04-07-2016 06:00 PM

Have not had so far in a little over a month ownership.

JEVA 04-07-2016 09:15 PM

Doc, I wonder how the timing of the build of your car compares with those having the issue? Sometimes they "fix" things in production when issues are identified so if there's a recall or service bulletin, they have less to fix and they aren't perpetuating the issue with every build. Companies are usually very slow to publicly acknowledge and address issues. Given the time it takes me to run things through corporate legal for approval, I know why. And my stuff is generally way less important/visible than this stuff.

dieseldoc 04-07-2016 09:22 PM

My car was built last week of January. Will ask one of my fellows if his wife is having any issues with her car. If she is I will find out the build date and post. They bought their GLC before I got mine. They bought one that was in stock.

larrypmyers 04-07-2016 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by nycrounders (Post 6764199)
I wanted to start a post to track this issue. If someone has this resolved, please let me know.

Does anyone else have this issue of screeching brakes when pulling out of the garage or driveway? The issue comes and goes depending on the day. Usually when the weather is cooler. The sound is loud and annoying for a new car.

Is there a fix for this issue?

I brought my GLC into my service center and gave them the bulletins as posted in this forum:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ng-brakes.html

LI 42.10-P-060688 - Install special order shims for front brakes to eliminate cold weather squeal to adjust the angle of the pad
and this bulletin LI#: LI42.10-P-063311

I was told that those are for the C300 and doesn't apply to for the GLC. No solution for the GLC as of now.

I had the same problem. Backing down the driveway in the morning and listening to brake squeal.

That said, its not unusual for disc brakes to squeal, especially when cold. This problem is exacerbated when the brake pads are hard.

To cure the problem I employed a process known as bedding. This involves making several maximum effort stops from about 80 mph. The objective is to get the brake pads hot, very hot. So hot you can smell them.

As expected it cured my squeal.

DBV 04-08-2016 07:24 AM

That has not worked for our brake squealing. Never have experienced squealing so loud in any car we have owned. Plus, this does not just happen when it is cold out. I think it is the same issue that some of the C class owners have, but Mercedes has just not acknowledged it yet.

Originally Posted by larrypmyers (Post 6764672)
I had the same problem. Backing down the driveway in the morning and listening to brake squeal.

That said, its not unusual for disc brakes to squeal, especially when cold. This problem is exacerbated when the brake pads are hard.

To cure the problem I employed a process known as bedding. This involves making several maximum effort stops from about 80 mph. The objective is to get the brake pads hot, very hot. So hot you can smell them.

Flyboy82 04-11-2016 06:03 AM

I just installed new pads and rotors on my E320 and the same thing was happening to me. I heard taking the pads out and taking 100 grit sand paper and sanding the edge of the pads all the way around will stop the squeal. I tried this and then took the car out and hard braked it several times from about 50 miles per hour.

Only after a few times it started to work. The squealing was worse when you were backing up and putting the brakes on lightly, but finally the noise has gone away. Hope this helps.

Mikeyking 04-11-2016 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by larrypmyers (Post 6764672)
This involves making several maximum effort stops from about 80 mph.

It also caused two major pile ups and several near misses :D

guido3 04-11-2016 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by dieseldoc (Post 6764645)
My car was built last week of January. Will ask one of my fellows if his wife is having any issues with her car. If she is I will find out the build date and post. They bought their GLC before I got mine. They bought one that was in stock.

Mine has a build date of 11/15. Had very minor brake squeal on backing only until (it seemed) the rotor metallic coating had completely worn off during the bed-in period. No squeal now. Others say this was pure coincidence. But, of course, with DBV's 3,300 miles and continuing brake squeal, something else (?) is happening.

larrypmyers 04-11-2016 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mikeyking (Post 6767831)
It also caused two major pile ups and several near misses :D

Hello Mikey, Very funny. :rolf: Actually finding big pavement was a problem. My mechanic showed me a two mile stretch of very lightly travelled rural road, perfectly straight, with no driveways or intersections and sight lines from one end to the other.

Fortunately, this illegal activity is only done about once a year when my mechanic beds the track pads on my Vette. :zoom:

dieseldoc 04-11-2016 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by larrypmyers
Hello Mikey, Very funny. :rolf: Actually finding big pavement was a problem. My mechanic showed me a two mile stretch of very lightly travelled rural road, perfectly straight, with no driveways or intersections and sight lines from one end to the other.

Fortunately, this illegal activity is only done about once a year when my mechanic beds the track pads on my Vette. :zoom:

Very cool. :urock:

DBV 04-12-2016 01:26 PM

We took our GLC to the dealer today to check out the squeaking brakes. They knew right away of the issue and also said Mercedes is well aware of it and working on an official fix. It sounds like the parts they will need use (brakes, etc..) are on back order for potentially a couple months.

I am just glad Mercedes knows it is a problem and is going to get it right.

Kind of funny, backing out of the MB dealer and our GLC made the very loud squeaking sound and everyone outside turned and looked. :)

nycrounders 04-19-2016 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by DBV (Post 6769398)
We took our GLC to the dealer today to check out the squeaking brakes. They knew right away of the issue and also said Mercedes is well aware of it and working on an official fix. It sounds like the parts they will need use (brakes, etc..) are on back order for potentially a couple months.

I am just glad Mercedes knows it is a problem and is going to get it right.

Kind of funny, backing out of the MB dealer and our GLC made the very loud squeaking sound and everyone outside turned and looked. :)

Keep us in the loop when you hear back on the official fix. :y

bgmillhouse 04-24-2016 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by nycrounders (Post 6776452)
Keep us in the loop when you hear back on the official fix. :y

Guys when you say squeaking / screeching breaks is it like a groaning noise and where the brakes feel a bit grabby?

Flyboy82 04-24-2016 09:03 AM

I found the problem..it was the belts afterall.

DBV 04-24-2016 07:04 PM

No - It is when you go in reverse and it is a extremely loud squeeking/squealing noise. It has continued to occur even in the warmer weather.

Can not wait until Mercedes has an official fix.

Originally Posted by bgmillhouse (Post 6781725)
Guys when you say squeaking / screeching breaks is it like a groaning noise and where the brakes feel a bit grabby?

Glcabc 06-21-2016 08:42 AM

Hi DBV, any update on your reverse squeeking issue? Did your dealership come back to you with an official "issue number" (forget what it call) referring to this problem? Our Glc have just reaching 2000kms and start having the same issue. Took to the dealer but they have no idea...
Thx!

JEVA 06-21-2016 09:51 AM

Thankfully, I have not experienced this issue. I have nearly 3k mi on the clock now.

nycrounders 07-26-2016 06:20 PM

Got back today with an advisory fix.

Some good news for us waiting for a solution.
based on LI 42.10-P-063978

They replaced both front disk brake pads and lubed the contact point of pins and brakes. I hope that is the end of the screeching noise in the morning :D

Originally Posted by Glcabc (Post 6838792)
Hi DBV, any update on your reverse squeeking issue? Did your dealership come back to you with an official "issue number" (forget what it call) referring to this problem? Our Glc have just reaching 2000kms and start having the same issue. Took to the dealer but they have no idea...
Thx!

Rotelman 07-27-2016 04:09 AM

Same issue here. Reversing out driveway sometimes causing loud squealing from brakes. quite embarrassing for a car that costs this much. (250D Aus )

B2FiNiTY 08-08-2016 05:00 AM

Mine only happens in reverse. Doesn't matter how long the car has been driven.

Glcabc 08-12-2016 10:29 AM

Thanks nycrounders!

Any chance you can get hold of a copy of the TSB from your dealer like one below?
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=186981

My dealer in Australia try to help but they can't find the details base on this TSB number.

Many thanks!