MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLC Class (X253) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253-203/)
-   -   Calling all Brits - the Limey thread. (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253/626545-calling-all-brits-limey-thread.html)

Greg Meier 05-26-2016 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Toobad (Post 6814042)
British licence (note the correct spelling :D) plates conform to a standard layout. The first group of 2 letters indicate where in the UK the vehicle was first registered, the next group of 2 numbers tell you which year and which 6-month segment of that year the car was registered as new and the final group of 3 letters are arbitrarily assigned from a block of letters issued to the car dealer. The age designators change in March and September so the newest cars currently have a 16 on their licence plates - the 1 means new since March and the 6 means registered in 2016. From September new cars will show 66 on their plate. The change of plate in March and September causes a spike in car sales as people hold off their purchase so they can sport the very latest licence plate. At one time the year identifier was only changed once every year but it was decided this skewed car sales so dramatically and caused huge logistical problems in the supply chain so we adopted the current twice-yearly system.

Of course there is a big market for personal plates from people who want to disguise the age of their car or just display something a bit different. You cannot obtain a plate that makes your car look younger than it actually is but there are many companies who trade in desirable plates including the Government's own licencing department who hold back plates perceived to have additional value because the character combination forms an approximation for a word or phrase or anything meaningful to a particular person like their initials or name. These plates are priced according to their desirability and can be then assigned to your vehicle either from new or to replace an existing conventional plate.
Click here for UK Government Licence Plate Sales

SIMPLES!!!!!!!
Not complicated at all:nix:

Greg Meier 05-26-2016 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by MartynW (Post 6814103)
I haven't purchased a pair yet, though I have put these on my eBay watchlist, in case Santa wants to know what I would like for Christmas! Looks like a shade over £80 delivered. It would be interesting to know what a dealer would ask for them.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3018591886....N36.S1.R1.TR3

The supplier has a FAQ - translated here (I hope):
https://translate.google.co.uk/trans...-text=&act=url

Blimey they are cheap but then noticed the postage and packing charge:smash:

I have a set of Thule bars and clips which are similar but were expensive, but now don't fit the GLC (used for our old ML). So I'm after a set of clips which are compatible for the GLC. Any clues please?

Mikeyking 05-26-2016 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Meier (Post 6814164)

My previous MB roof bars (for a CLC) were around the £200 mark and that was what I was expecting this time around as well.

This is more like the price I was expecting:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-B...-/182028254027

The other ones quoted earlier I don't think are the original MB ones are they? I'll have to call MB actually - may do that tomorrow and find out from the dealer as I need them at the same time my new GLC arrives (just over a month to go.. hurry up!)

taylor1982 05-26-2016 06:25 PM

Hello all, thought I'd be the first to post on here to say I've ordered the 43 AMG. Ordered a few weeks ago, pretty well spec'd with everything but the driver assistant bits. Problem is delivery, had a call this week to say the delivery date has moved back from September to October due to the 21 inch wheels being on the critical shortage list??? Bit weird, never had these issues when ordering a car before. Anyway, does anyone know if there is a dog cage available for the glc yet, can't seem to find one anywhere. Currently got a Q5 with a travall dog cage with a divider in the middle which is perfect for camping trips etc. Hopefully one will be released for the glc shortly if there isn't one out there already?

Toobad 05-28-2016 02:28 PM

Professional grade Dual Action Polisher £171 delivered

Outstanding value for anybody in the UK considering getting serious about detailing. This machine has a powerful 880W motor and a 12mm throw but to sweeten the deal , it comes with a collection of Meguiar's polishes and 3 different Flexipad Hex pads to get you up and running. They also throw in both 5" and 6" backing pads and a storage bag to put everything in.

The icing on the cake is that if you use the discount code DISC10 at the Checkout, it will knock the price down by a further 10% to £171. If you own multiple cars or fancy earning some cash back from your mates, this is not a bad investment.

DAS-6 Pro+ Dual Action Orbital Polisher

Mikeyking 05-31-2016 11:36 AM

Roof bars ordered through the dealer. £225 including VAT. Ouch, but if I'm ordering a £48k car I may as well shell out a few quid more for the decent original roof bars!

Toobad 06-03-2016 05:32 AM

Fresh off the transporter.

A journey that started last December is soon to be concluded. I'll post proper pictures in the official thread after 13th June when it is in my possession but just wanted to share these "new baby" pics from the Dealer with everybody here.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/...pssl80t1oe.jpg

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/...pst9maehxy.jpg

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/...pswalxjawc.jpg

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/...psgfejumrx.jpg

MartynW 06-03-2016 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Toobad (Post 6821827)
A journey that started last December is soon to be concluded. I'll post proper pictures in the official thread after 13th June when it is in my possession but just wanted to share these "new baby" pics from the Dealer with everybody here.

That looks really good. The colour definitely works on a GLC. Still heard nothing about mine so those pics are extra painful, though my wait has not been anywhere near so long as mine will be standard Selenite Grey.:rolf:

When did you hear from the dealer, to say it had a VIN etc and was being built/on its way?

Toobad 06-03-2016 06:00 AM

Thanks Martyn. A production slot was finally confirmed on 24 Feb and at that point the arrival date was estimated to be 9-10 June. They e-mailed yesterday to say the transporter had just dropped it off and it was now in their secure compound. They also confirmed the Retention Certificate for my personal plate had also arrived yesterday and it had been passed to their admin dept. along with the car's details for registering. I can't buy insurance until the car appears on the DVLA database as all insurance companies cross check against this before issuing policies.

Mikeyking 06-03-2016 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Toobad (Post 6821827)

That looks fantastic. Whereabouts was the dealer? Was the car next to it a deep blue? It looks like my car that I'm awaiting UK delivery for!!

Very jealous! :)

MartynW 06-03-2016 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Toobad (Post 6821832)
Thanks Martyn. A production slot was finally confirmed on 24 Feb and at that point the arrival date was estimated to be 9-10 June. They e-mailed yesterday to say the transporter had just dropped it off and it was now in their secure compound. They also confirmed the Retention Certificate for my personal plate had also arrived yesterday and it had been passed to their admin dept. along with the car's details for registering. I can't buy insurance until the car appears on the DVLA database as all insurance companies cross check against this before issuing policies.

Thank you. If my dealer is as communicative, I might hear in about 10 days, maybe. I sent the paperwork (including retention certificate and even the actual number plates) to them a long time ago but for a scary week they even managed to lose the entire parcel on the premises, so I'm just a tad nervous! I want to get the insurance etc sorted but as you say, until they register the vehicle there's not a lot that can be done.

MartynW 06-03-2016 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Meier (Post 6814164)

I have a set of Thule bars and clips which are similar but were expensive, but now don't fit the GLC (used for our old ML). So I'm after a set of clips which are compatible for the GLC. Any clues please?

From memory, the GLC needs Thule feet 753 and custom kit 4068, so you could replace just the bits that are different. There is a checker on their UK site that will confirm the codes.

decorily 06-03-2016 07:17 AM

Toobad, very nice!

Have seen this colour combo in the dealer where I purchased and it is fantastic!!

Love those wheels (same as I have on my Citrine brown 250d).

Toobad 06-03-2016 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mikeyking (Post 6821833)
That looks fantastic. Whereabouts was the dealer? Was the car next to it a deep blue? It looks like my car that I'm awaiting UK delivery for!!

Very jealous! :)

This is the secure compound of Mercedes of Grimsby which is part of the Listers Group. I'll be picking the car up from their Boston dealership a week on Monday. I'd have to guess the colour of the car sitting beside mine is indeed a Canvasite Blue but I don't think the light levels in Grimsby will ever get high enough to say so in complete confidence :nix: On the other hand it may just be black. Either way, it combos well with the Night package.

This car arrived a week earlier than predicted so perhaps yours will get here in early July. Keep counting down those sleeps until D-Day.

Toobad 06-03-2016 07:47 AM

@ decorily
In the UK you only get those wheels if you specify the Off-road package. My objective was supreme comfort above everything else so I wanted 18-inchers rather than anything bigger. As I was having the air suspension option, it made sense to add Off-road as you then have extra suspension settings. At some point I may be forced into the gutter and find myself driving over organic matter such as the odd leaf or twig. I'd like to think the premium I've paid to access Rocking Assist will then pay dividends :rolf:

MartynW 06-03-2016 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Toobad (Post 6821856)
This is the secure compound of Mercedes of Grimsby which is part of the Listers Group. I'll be picking the car up from their Boston dealership a week on Monday. I'd have to guess the colour of the car sitting beside mine is indeed a Canvasite Blue but I don't think the light levels in Grimsby will ever get high enough to say so in complete confidence :nix: On the other hand it may just be black. Either way, it combos well with the Night package.

This car arrived a week earlier than predicted so perhaps yours will get here in early July. Keep counting down those sleeps until D-Day.

This is scary - in addition to the other coincidences, we have the same dealer and pick-up point! I'll be following your progress quite literally now:y

mindi 06-04-2016 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Teckno (Post 6811764)
:)Welcome Brits from the Aussie thread.
Nice to compare RHD Veh versions. Would be interested to see what build differences. In Oz we do not have acoustic glass in our doors like our Pacific cousins.
Cheers :zoom:

Is that right Teckno..? I am about to order in Melbourne so maybe I should go to NZ..?

Agree really good to compare with other RHD builds.

Teckno 06-13-2016 04:58 AM

Here is the link to the latest Australian 2017 build state. Booklet states 2016, but includes Brilliant Blue and cooling front seats. No HUD on builds till after Aug 16, due to world shortage.
http://www.mercedes-benz.com.au/cont...HUDwebsite.pdf

Greg Meier 06-13-2016 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Teckno (Post 6831150)
Here is the link to the latest Australian 2017 build state. Booklet states 2016, but includes Brilliant Blue and cooling front seats. No HUD on builds till after Aug 16, due to world shortage.
http://www.mercedes-benz.com.au/cont...HUDwebsite.pdf

Thanks Techno,
Interesting to see the difference on specification between UK and Australian GLCs. Also we don't have the 250 petrol in the UK.
For example it looks like 20" alloys and leather seats are standard on your 250 models whereas here they are options.
I guess there is a price hike in Australia for these models? :eek:

Teckno 06-13-2016 11:03 AM

For those whom are interested, this is the completed price list from DEC 2015, price may change i.e. 250d model now increase in price by $1000.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ce%20Guide.pdf

I found this on another site, it helps explain our prices. I think Aussie cars get more bling as standard, but probably pay more too ?
I have not done a currency conversion to see, just a guess.

Toobad 06-14-2016 03:25 AM

Silicone jacket for key

1 Attachment(s)
Got given a pair of shiny new keys when I picked up 'Red Ken' yesterday. I figured the nice inlaid chrome would end up getting scratched after being carried around in my pocket every day so I bought a couple of silicone jackets for them to wear. Seems to do the trick and the hole to display the Mercedes star lines up remarkably well. The best bit is that they only cost £1.66 each delivered. Not bad at all considering they had to come from Hong Kong! The slow boat from China took just over 2 weeks.

This is what they look like when fitted:

Attachment 367266

and this is where you can buy them on UK eBay:

Silicone Jacket for Mercedes 3-button keys

Mikeyking 06-14-2016 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Toobad (Post 6832201)
and this is where you can buy them on UK eBay:

They nearly had themselves another customer there :) Can you post the URL please from ebay (or ebay item number) as the link didn't work ;(

Thanks!

Toobad 06-14-2016 04:12 AM

Apologies Mikey, the listing must have expired. Anyway the UK eBay Item Number was 301907679693. There are plenty of other Chinese suppliers offering them or you can buy off Amazon UK if you want to pay around £8 each + postage.

Try this link from an alternative supplier who also supplies for £1.66: Silicone cover for Mercedes remote

Mikeyking 06-14-2016 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Toobad (Post 6832222)
Try this link from an alternative supplier who also supplies for £1.66: Silicone cover for Mercedes remote

Fantastic - thanks, two ordered :) One Red one Blue.

Toobad 06-22-2016 02:23 AM

All-weather rubber overmats

So 'Red Ken' arrived with the smart velour overmats complete with embroidered branding. It was raining on the day of collection so I immediately managed to transfer all manner of detritus from my shoes to these brand spanking new mats like in some bizarre violation/initiation ritual. Muddy shoes and carpeting just feel so wrong to me. Yes, Mercedes do offer their own all-weather rubber overmats and cargo area liner but obviously at a distinctly Mercedes price. So what does the aftermarket have to offer here in the UK?

A little bit of background research led me to believe I had found the manufacturer who actually supplies the Mercedes OEM all-weather mats. They sell their own range under the Hitech brand available online from their website UKCarMats.co.uk. They also surfaced on UK eBay trading under the name of Calibre Auto Parts offering a set of 4 overmats for £22.50 delivered. This looked a far better alternative to the 'Autoglym' valeter's footwell paper I had been forced to deploy. When they arrived the 4mm thick rubber mats were exactly the same size as the velour overmats and mated perfectly with the retaining pins. Result!!!!!

If anybody wants at set, just click on the link below:

UK eBay Item Number 252337637939 - GLC Rubber Overmats