GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Steering wheel vibrating when AC is on high

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 300
Steering wheel vibrating when AC is on high

New GLC 300, drive for only 2 weeks, notice that steering wheel is vibrating while AC is on high (7), brought back to dealer, was told need a new blower, and I am not the only one to have same problem. Quality ! Quality! Quality!
Old 08-11-2016, 11:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by GCL-MH
New GLC 300, drive for only 2 weeks, notice that steering wheel is vibrating while AC is on high (7), brought back to dealer, was told need a new blower, and I am not the only one to have same problem. Quality ! Quality! Quality!
Take a deep breath, it'll be ok

Worse things in life to worry about, glad they are making it right
Old 08-22-2016, 03:32 PM

GLC 300
Dealer replaced the AC fan blower, problem is gone. You all need look into this, turn your AC to the highest level, check to see if steering wheel is vibrating or not.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Glc 300 4matic
I noticed suddenly when I turned on the defrost on high in my new GLC there was a low hum and a distracting vibration in my steering wheel that I couldn't remember having had before. It now happens anytime the fan is on a high speed. I did bring it to the service dept. attention and they said they would look into it on a couple other cars. They decided it was the same on all the models they tested. I find it so irritating and can't help but think it cheapens the feel of the car. Does anyone else notice a vibrating steering wheel when at higher fan speeds? If replacing the blower motor would fix it I would be thrilled. I probably should have insisted on being there to compare the other cars they tested to compare with mine.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:08 PM

GLC 300
Yes, you need ask dealer to replace fan blower. I have seen several GLC have same problems. But after replacing blower, problem is gone.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:59 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 GLC3004M P02
Same issue here, and I'm going to have the dealer take care of it at the first service (hitting 10K soon).
Old 10-14-2016, 12:37 AM

Glc 300 4matic
I stopped into the dealer today and had them show me another GLC. Low and behold the vibration is the same. Dang. I was really hoping it was something that could be fixed as it is so distracting to me. The service tech explained to me that with "such a high power motor there is bound to be vibration". (eye roll) I wonder why I have never felt such a thing on any of my "cheaper" cars. Must be the superior engineering of my car.
I guess it's one of those things in my otherwise great car I just have to accept. Please update if you find a solution. (other than blower motor replacement since my dealer isn't willing to go there)
Old 10-17-2016, 06:31 AM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2016 volkswagen beetle
Well, if it's any consolation, you could have gotten alot worse. Like a Cadillac XT5. Water leaking into tail lamps, seats broken on delivery, electronic transmission shifter errors and replacement, transmission problems, infotainment and instrument cluster blackouts while driving, power memory seats not working, sunroof not tilting, chrome trimp falling off ect... And I'm sure like most GM products, the water pump and fuel pump is going to go out sometime in the warranty period.
The following users liked this post:
RedwinGV (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 06:54 AM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
E300, C63
Originally Posted by TSchuettinger
Well, if it's any consolation, you could have gotten alot worse. Like a Cadillac XT5. Water leaking into tail lamps, seats broken on delivery, electronic transmission shifter errors and replacement, transmission problems, infotainment and instrument cluster blackouts while driving, power memory seats not working, sunroof not tilting, chrome trimp falling off ect... And I'm sure like most GM products, the water pump and fuel pump is going to go out sometime in the warranty period.
sounds like one of the better cadillac experiences lol
Old 10-17-2016, 08:07 AM

Glc 300 4matic
Caddy? No way!

Originally Posted by ec_nova
This is precisely why I didn't buy a Cadillac and wouldn't even consider it!
Old 10-17-2016, 04:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GenesisG70 '20 GLC300 DakotaBrwn/Silk '16
Originally Posted by TSchuettinger
Dang, and that was on my short list. whew.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:44 PM

2016 volkswagen beetle
Originally Posted by ec_nova
Originally Posted by kinleysma
This is precisely why I didn't buy a Cadillac and wouldn't even consider it!
Exactly... And there are people in the comment section of a video on YouTube called "GLC vs XT5" that think that the XT5 is going to be the more reliable choice. Haha I think not. Obviously they've never owned a Cadillac or a GM product for that matter. Cadillacs were always poorly built garbage. That is why people don't buy them. When a Cadillac gets old, it gets old. When a Mercedes gets old, it becomes a classic. Not saying MB's are perfect, but they do build much better cars. And they're dominance in luxury car sales are a testament to that.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:50 PM

2016 volkswagen beetle
Originally Posted by RedwinGV
Dang, and that was on my short list. whew.
Same here. The minute I saw all the problems they were having, no way. Lemon law central. Plus I didn't care for all the gimmicky touch controls. And people think German cars are gimmicky? Give me a break. I'm almost positive a British car would be a better choice as I've never heard such horror stories about those.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:07 PM

GLC300 SUV
Dirt or a missing balance weight on the blower rotor could create imbalance and cause vibration.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:27 PM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300
I wonder if some of you are selecting the MAX Defrost button (5th button over)? That feature is intended to defrost your windows ASAP, and uses the highest blower setting. Indeed, it sounds like a jet engine taking off. It is obvious to me that it is intended for safety reasons, and will obviously make a LOT of things vibrate in the car. Defrost your windows, then hit the normal defrost button (2nd from left) and select your fan speed, which will be much more quiet.

I could be wrong, but I feel this is an owner education issue. That MAX Defrost setting is about 30-50% more powerful than any other car I've owned. It is also much more effective in quickly getting the fog off the inside of the windscreen versus anything else I've owned.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:39 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 GLC 43 & 2014 SLK 350, gone 2016 E63 Wagon
I use the MAX defrost setting to melt ice/snow from the windshield. The fan runs extremely fast with no vibration in my GLC43. It gets very hot and does a perfect job. I do not have any issues with vibration on any speed but would think that if there is an imbalance in the fan you will get vibration. It is totally fixable.