MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLC Class (X253) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253-203/)
-   -   Previous MB owners review of GLC (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253/647406-previous-mb-owners-review-glc.html)

bybybmw 12-19-2016 10:14 AM

Previous MB owners review of GLC

I am looking at the new GLC and while I have read the professional reviews, I would like to hear from GLC owners have have owned/own other MB vehicles. One of my friends whose opinion I respect, is not sold/thrilled/impressed with current MB build quality and recommended I look at Porsche or BMW.

So what say you previous MB owners? (I guess current GLC owner impressions couldn't hurt either :) )

dieseldoc 12-19-2016 11:11 AM

I have owned multiple Mercedes as well as BMWs, Audis, VWs, Acuras and LR. I currently have a GLC, a C Class as well as an A3. The GLC is beautifully finished. I have no complaints.

dejongj 12-19-2016 11:51 AM

It is difficult to provide an accurate and relevant comparison. My previous MB was a GL class, and I'd say it was better build and finished than the GLC. Then again it should be as it was pitched in and as expensive as the S class.

That is not to say the GLC (mine is an AMG GLC43) is bad, I just know how much better as in quieter and refined an MB can be.

I looked at the Porsche Macan, I just thought it was too small. The boot is small and the rear seats don't provide the level of comfort the GLC provides both in legroom and headroom. However I'd agree that the build feels a little more solid with the Porsche Macan than the GLC.

BMW X3, hmm, I just don't like it. Never done and don't think I'll ever do. Funnily enough my whole family is like that. The only car in their range I was attracted to in the showroom was the i8. The rest to me are just copies of each other.

Ultimately, is build quality paramount for you buying a car? Personally I think it needs to feel good enough, but need to look good and most importantly drive well. Even if build quality is marginally better with the Macan would that tip it to buy one instead of the GLC considering the other compromises? Well only you can tell, we can give our opinion but only your opinion should count.

B2FiNiTY 12-19-2016 08:01 PM

I've had a lot of other benz suvs and benzs in general in the past. The GLC is a great all around car. It doesn't have that high end luxury feel but it has the look, and driving experience that makes up for it. Everything is where it should be and the car isn't lacking in any major areas. Love it.

schroedinger 12-20-2016 04:08 PM

I've owned (actually leased) and E320, CLK320, E350, ML350, ML350, and ML550. I really like the GLC's size. The turbo 4 is peppy and gets good mileage. The 9-speed trans. is so much better than the 7-speed -- none of that thunking into gear after slowing that would jar the entire vehicle.

I have the Designo interior -- the GLC's is one of the most reasonably priced Designos -- and it's really nice.

Ride is OK with the 18-inch wheels (I'm sure it would be better without the run-flats). Handles really nicely, and the agility control is nice to put it in "sport" when you want.

The rear seats fold down a lot easier than the ML (that's because only the back folds down; in the ML you first had to tilt the cushion up).

Things I'd change: (1) bigger outside mirrors; (2) real buttons for the radio presets; (3) dual sun visors (one for front and one for side). I also wish it offered a regular sunroof -- I didn't want the panoramic roof but without any sunroof it can be dark inside.

Would I buy it again? Absolutely.

JohnnyMN 12-20-2016 05:35 PM

We leased our 2016 GLC back in May. It's our first MB, and is my wife's daily driver, and she came from a Honda Pilot. She wanted to downsize & upscale after driving the Pilot (which she did love) for many years. We looked at the Audi Q5, Cadillac SRX, Lexus RX350 and Lincoln MKX. The Q5 was a very close second place to the GLC.

The size was perfect as a downsize from a Pilot, though I have to say there have been several times where we've missed the larger cargo area. The GLC is very attractive inside & out, with Designo Cardinal Red over beige interior. The ride is also quite smooth & quiet.

I will say there are several annoyances though, including:
  1. having to push & hold the memory seat selection; a single push should do it, which is how it works on our other vehicles
  2. inability to shut off the Eco start/stop beyond just the current trip
  3. the media center is really clumsy
  4. it sounds more like a diesel, and when shutting off makes a metallic whirring sound; I expected a much quieter motor
  5. the HORRIBLE screeching brakes which developed about 2,000 miles after we got it, and it is EMBARASSING
  6. lack of remote start on the key fob, and the mbrace app is spotty at best
Overall we really do like the vehicle, but at the same time I have to say I am fairly disappointed. For a $50k car, I expected better.... value maybe is the word. Time will tell but as of now I'm not sure we would go with another MB.

fearyoda 12-20-2016 07:44 PM

GLC 300 is my gf daily driver and it has about 3,000 miles and no issues or complaints so far.

Penn 12-21-2016 04:40 AM

Currently, have a W204 C220 Wagon and a GLC250d in the garage.

GLC build quality is similar to the W204 which was built in the same Bremen plant.

The 9-speed box is a huge improvement over G7tronic which in some models was renowned for clunky down changes.

If I rank the Mercedes vehicles I have owned in terms of quality and reliability:

W202 C240T - Best car we ever owned!
X253 GLC 250d - well built except for a couple of minor rattles.
W204 C220 Wagon - Equal second with the GLC
W163 ML500 - Good Reliable vehicle
W210 E320 - Had a few mechanical issues and poor quality trim.
W164 ML 500 - High maintenance and unreliable.

schroedinger 12-21-2016 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyMN (Post 7000954)
We leased our 2016 GLC back in May. It's our first MB, and is my wife's daily driver, and she came from a Honda Pilot. She wanted to downsize & upscale after driving the Pilot (which she did love) for many years. We looked at the Audi Q5, Cadillac SRX, Lexus RX350 and Lincoln MKX. The Q5 was a very close second place to the GLC.

The size was perfect as a downsize from a Pilot, though I have to say there have been several times where we've missed the larger cargo area. The GLC is very attractive inside & out, with Designo Cardinal Red over beige interior. The ride is also quite smooth & quiet.

I will say there are several annoyances though, including:
  1. having to push & hold the memory seat selection; a single push should do it, which is how it works on our other vehicles
  2. inability to shut off the Eco start/stop beyond just the current trip
  3. the media center is really clumsy
  4. it sounds more like a diesel, and when shutting off makes a metallic whirring sound; I expected a much quieter motor
  5. the HORRIBLE screeching brakes which developed about 2,000 miles after we got it, and it is EMBARASSING
  6. lack of remote start on the key fob, and the mbrace app is spotty at best
Overall we really do like the vehicle, but at the same time I have to say I am fairly disappointed. For a $50k car, I expected better.... value maybe is the word. Time will tell but as of now I'm not sure we would go with another MB.

I think requiring holding the mem button is so an accidental brush against one of them doesn't move the seat suddenly.

My engine is fairly quiet, and I have no noise from my brakes.

The infotainment system can be awkard. One of the nice things I was surprised to find is the owner's manual is on the hard drive, so you can access it there.

dejongj 12-21-2016 03:29 PM

I agree on the mem button - I've only ever had it it like that in my Audi's/BMW's/Mercedes.

No noise here either, done about 2,700miles now.

I like the infotainment system, the voice control works fantastically as well, as does the playlists from my iPhone and digital audio broadcasts. What's not to like.

JohnnyMN 12-21-2016 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by dejongj (Post 7001814)
I like the infotainment system, the voice control works fantastically as well, as does the playlists from my iPhone and digital audio broadcasts. What's not to like.

The lack of prev/next track on the steering wheel?

Ours has the standard sound package and we're satisfied with it. Performance is good, just the whole UI is clunky.

dejongj 12-22-2016 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyMN (Post 7001923)
The lack of prev/next track on the steering wheel?

Ours has the standard sound package and we're satisfied with it. Performance is good, just the whole UI is clunky.

Blimey - I need to take a look to see whether that is true, I've had mine now for nearly 3K miles and not noticed that. Nor noticed that on my GL with command system I had 3 years prior to that. I've got to say that I often use voice commands, or turn the command wheel left/right as that is so easy to go through several songs at a time instead of just one at a time. But I'm pretty certain that for skipping on song I've used steering wheel controls.

Oh I couldn't live with the standard sound package, I though it was flat, bottomed out too quickly, lack of positioning of the sound stage. Upgrade was ticked immediately.

What would an example be of a good UI for you? Have you tried the voice navigation as it is great to get you instantly to what you want to hear.

JohnnyMN 12-22-2016 09:25 AM

The only sound system controls I have on the wheel are volume +/-, and I don't see any others on the console either unless I'm completely missing something. I haven't really used the voice control at all. I also have an Infiniti and I have band/channel up/down and next/prev track controls on the wheel in addition to volume.

When I spoke of the UI, I really meant the entire Comand system in general, with the mouse/trackpad & wheel, and wasn't speaking specifically to the sound system. My lack of clarity there.

fabbrisd1 12-22-2016 09:33 AM

There are some good comments here - on Motor Trend's SUV of the year.

With COMAND infotainment system - voice control becomes a very useful features.

I am very comfortable with the "Mercedes logic" on COMAND - I am not a fan of the Audio 20/Garmin Nav.

The "brake squeal/screech" I have seen in about 1-out-of-15 GLC's - and LESS over recent production - Mercedes Engineering is working on that "fix" which I expect to be finanlized from Engineering early-Jan.

My customers LOVE their GLC's - comfort, luxury. rock solid..

dejongj 12-22-2016 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyMN (Post 7002488)
The only sound system controls I have on the wheel are volume +/-, and I don't see any others on the console either unless I'm completely missing something. I haven't really used the voice control at all. I also have an Infiniti and I have band/channel up/down and next/prev track controls on the wheel in addition to volume.

When I spoke of the UI, I really meant the entire Comand system in general, with the mouse/trackpad & wheel, and wasn't speaking specifically to the sound system. My lack of clarity there.

Its context sensitive, and very comprehensive, as such the controls are closest to the context of what you are doing. I bet you don't have media displayed in the dashboard instrument cluster, hence the buttons don't control the media on the steering wheel, but they control what ever you have on your display.

I agree on the mouse/trackpad, I don't get that at all. But I like the wheel. And there is the same, it operates in context of what is being displayed. I like it and to me that makes more sense than having dedicated buttons for everything.

JohnnyMN 12-22-2016 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by dejongj (Post 7002498)
Its context sensitive, and very comprehensive, as such the controls are closest to the context of what you are doing. I bet you don't have media displayed in the dashboard instrument cluster, hence the buttons don't control the media on the steering wheel, but they control what ever you have on your display.

I agree on the mouse/trackpad, I don't get that at all. But I like the wheel. And there is the same, it operates in context of what is being displayed. I like it and to me that makes more sense than having dedicated buttons for everything.

Thanks for the tip on the instrument cluster. You're right, it's never set to media; I tend to keep it on speed/mileage. I will definitely take a look at that & the context of the wheel buttons in that mode. I'll also take a deeper dive into voice control.

dejongj 12-22-2016 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyMN (Post 7002562)
Thanks for the tip on the instrument cluster. You're right, it's never set to media; I tend to keep it on speed/mileage. I will definitely take a look at that & the context of the wheel buttons in that mode. I'll also take a deeper dive into voice control.

I'm the same :) Mine is normally set to Oil and Gearbox Temperature. But it does change like when making phone calls, or display Satnav when my passengers want to fiddle with music, etc..

ble2716 12-22-2016 11:02 AM

From what I gather, most of the GLC owners do not like the mouse/trackpad but for myself, after spending sometime with it, I actually like it.
It allows me to navigate around just like the dial with a little bit more.
I can use it to "write" the letters when entering the address in navigation.
It also allow me to "fast forward" a song ....bet you can't do that with the dial.

To the OP:
The GLC is replacing the older GLK.
So I'll comment on that. The GLC is better than GLK in almost every way, except for the engine in the GLC300, it's not as refined as the GLK's old 3.5L V6 when being pushed.
GLC43 is taking care of that problem. LOL
Look is subjective....I love the boxy shape of the GLK (either You love or hate it) but I also like the modern sleek lines of the GLC but it looks almost similar as many other vehicles on the road.
The interior in the GLC is WAY more luxurious than the old GLK's.
I've also find the wind noise is better on the GLC (I have acoustic glasses on mine)compared to the GLK.
The road noise however a bit noisier due to run flat tires on GLC.

dejongj 12-22-2016 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by ble2716 (Post 7002606)
From what I gather, most of the GLC owners do not like the mouse/trackpad but for myself, after spending sometime with it, I actually like it.
It allows me to navigate around just like the dial with a little bit more.
I can use it to "write" the letters when entering the address in navigation.
It also allow me to "fast forward" a song ....bet you can't do that with the dial.

Cool, sounds like I need to give it a second chance and learn a bit more about it. For addresses and calls especially I find the voice commands really good and easy to use. That is if I don't use Mercedes Me to send the address to the car :)

Lots of options :)

JohnnyMN 12-22-2016 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by dejongj (Post 7002610)
That is if I don't use Mercedes Me to send the address to the car :)

I do have to say that this Send2Benz feature is really nice & has worked flawlessly for me. :bow:

dejongj 12-22-2016 01:46 PM

I'm amazed by how in near realtime it sends it across. Much better than the Google send-to-car of the previous Command version.

bybybmw 12-23-2016 10:11 AM

Thanks to all the posters. There have been some good comments and things for me to take into consideration.