GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 11:58 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
AMG GLC 43, GLC Coupe 300 2020
Originally Posted by tiger_x
Just picked up my GLC43.. Came with 21inch Conti Contact Sport 5P.. No evidence of crabbing yet.. A cold morning will be the test.
Yep a good cold morning will set the GLC43 tires skipping, Do your 21inch Conti Contact Sport have the MO marking?
Old 08-28-2017, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Teckno
Australia MB HQ continues to 'look the other way' !
UK MB at least seems to be proactive and at a $ cost seems to support its customer base.
There is another letter from MB Oz....... to an unhappy customer........ ( not me.)

Just received this email from dealer, I was expecting some kind of fix....

Re: Tyre Skip update

A number of customers have raised concerns regarding noises and/or vibrations which may have occurred relating to the front wheels of their vehicles, when manoeuvring at low speed, with the steering at full or near full lock during cold and/or wet weather days. This occurrence is commonly known as "tyre skipping".

Tyre skipping occurs due to a number of factors, more specifically:
• the properties of the tyres (because this determines their flexibility);
• the properties of the road (because this determines the friction); and
• the actions of the car (because this generates the forces).

Please be assured that tyre skipping is a comfort issue only. This characteristic does not in any way affect the safety or overall performance of the vehicle.

The tyre skipping effect becomes more pronounced when larger diameter wheels and lower profile tyres are utilised (for example, AMG) due to the flexibility of the side wall when compared to a conventional profile tyre. When further combined with a performance orientated 4MATIC all-wheel drive system and cold and/or wet weather, the tyres may make an irregular sound on the road which can be heard both inside and outside the vehicle.
That tyre skipping does not in any way affect the safety or overall performance of the vehicle.

So more discussions here in Oz, not happy.
It is strange that some customers, mainly GLC 43, seem to have been supported with new tyres, maybe at selling Dealer expense in support of their customers ?

Time will tell, bit at the moment the PR event is being lost; Maybe, just Maybe Germany will come to our rescue, or someone in UK MB will give their Aussie counterparts a friendly phone call to explain how positive, proactive support helps the Brand, both now and in the longer term, you might say long term vision over short term financial costs.
Very Sad Teckno, PM an update on your case.
I was in MB Adelaide on Saturday.. The issue we have in Oz is that not enough GLC owners are kicking up about it.
They have only had a few owners really push them for a fix.
It seems most owners are happy with MBA above update.

All I can say is if you own one keep pushing for a fix.

I bet when the GLC 63 gets here the issue will be gone.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:48 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC43
Originally Posted by wmc021
Yep a good cold morning will set the GLC43 tires skipping, Do your 21inch Conti Contact Sport have the MO marking?
They do have the MO marking.. This weekend looks like the go for cooler weather - min 7deg C, Max 16 deg C.. I'll see how it performs and report back..

I wonder if there will be a mass recall to have these new racks fitted. Time will tell..
Old 08-28-2017, 09:52 AM

GLC43
Originally Posted by Rob32R
Congrats! Any photos?
Thanks Rob32R! Im having paint protection done next week, so hopefully get a few pics up after that... I cant stop driving it. Awesome piece of engineering..Absolutely love it!
Old 08-28-2017, 09:57 PM

They do have the MO marking.. This weekend looks like the go for cooler weather - min 7deg C, Max 16 deg C.. I'll see how it performs and report back..

I wonder if there will be a mass recall to have these new racks fitted. Time will tell..
I'm surprised that they are still shipping them from the factory with these Tires.

I heard that they were going to change them from the factory for the uk market.
If they do skip on full or close to full lock the 21inch Conti Contact Sport 5 star version of the tire will improve it by 99%
Old 08-29-2017, 05:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
I'm surprised that they are still shipping them from the factory with these Tires.

I heard that they were going to change them from the factory for the uk market.
If they do skip on full or close to full lock the 21inch Conti Contact Sport 5 star version of the tire will improve it by 99%

Rumour has it that Continental has agreed with MB to alter the castings to imprint MO on the casings designed to have the Star (BMW/Roll Royce version). Will be interesting, may need to check manuf date on casing to see if its a re-engineered casing, or old stock ?
Maybe Continental can advise how to diferenciate between old MO tech and new MO features, with Conti-Seal in tyre.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Teckno
Rumour has it that Continental has agreed with MB to alter the castings to imprint MO on the casings designed to have the Star (BMW/Roll Royce version). Will be interesting, may need to check manuf date on casing to see if its a re-engineered casing, or old stock ?
Maybe Continental can advise how to diferenciate between old MO tech and new MO features, with Conti-Seal in tyre.
Hi Teckno

Hope that rumour is right
Old 08-29-2017, 06:32 AM

GLC43
Had a bit of wet weather here in Perth today. Can confirm i had a tiny bit of skipping on full lock, not hugely noticeable. Not as bad as my A250, that got worse as the tyres started to wear..
Old 08-29-2017, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
From UK , interesting comprison.

https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/whee...inch-rims.html

Tyre Skipping: Now it's my fault for buying a car with 20 inch rims.

" An interesting conversation with AMG yesterday following a referral by MB C.S regarding my GLA45AMG tyre skipping.

In summary, I was informed the tyre skipping I am experiencing is characteristically different to that experienced by GLC owners. (Having viewed YouTube videos from GLC owners it's identical). An interesting assertion that I challenged due to the fact that they haven't even examined my car!!! The vacuous fluff response to that challenge was classic and somewhat incredulous.

The conversation then moved on to a suggestion that in order to reduce the tyre skipping, I change to all season tyres or winter tyres.

I then advised that due to research linked to the tyre skipping you can only obtain one tyre for a 235/40r20 AMG rim (Continental) and that is 'summer use'.

The summarised response was.... It is therefore my fault for purchasing a car with 20 inch rims.

Mmm, so I should have an in-depth knowledge of rims, tyre replacement and performance tyre characteristics before I sign on the dotted line.

(Having perused Autotrader most GLA45AMGs for sale are fitted with 20 inch rims.... Potential purchasers take note).

I bought it from an MB dealership as an ex demo with the 20 inch rims and was not informed by the sales assistant that it may tyre skip due to the larger rims, nor would I be able to fit anything other than summer tyres to my performance car- he knew I lived in Wales where snow and ice can be expected each winter.

I was eventually offered 'as a gesture of goodwill' a 50% reduction on 19 inch rims with all season tyres. I did state that if I was a GLC owners and only summer tyres were available I would be offered smaller rims and all season tyres at no cost. I was advised I'm not a GLC owner, that offer only applies to GLC owners and if I remain unhappy I can take my complaint to the Motoring Ombudsman.

In summary, I am getting the exact same MB corporate waffle as those early GLC owners who were experiencing tyre skipping and getting little joy except my having to pay more money to change rims to reduce a problem that existed when I bought the car.

Unfortunately, I suspect the critical mass of complaints by GLC owners which 'forced' MB to act will not be repeated by the very few GLA45AMG owners. I watch with interest how other non GLC owners experiencing the same problem get on.

The battle continues and constructive views of contributers to this forum would be most welcome."

I wonder if Aussie GLA's are suffering too ?
Old 08-30-2017, 07:17 AM

Had a bit of wet weather here in Perth today. Can confirm i had a tiny bit of skipping on full lock, not hugely noticeable. Not as bad as my A250, that got worse as the tyres started to wear..
Hi Tiger x

I noticed your temp was between 11 - 19 yesterday.

For a real test you need it to be below 9 to get a real idea.

The good thing is Perth temps must be on the way up just like Adelaide will be ( I hope.... been bloody cold here the last few days).
During the warmer months and summer you won't notice it at all.
The following users liked this post:
tiger_x (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 10:15 AM

GLC43
Hi Tiger x

I noticed your temp was between 11 - 19 yesterday.

For a real test you need it to be below 9 to get a real idea.

The good thing is Perth temps must be on the way up just like Adelaide will be ( I hope.... been bloody cold here the last few days).
During the warmer months and summer you won't notice it at all.
Hey wmc021, yeah the temps have been pretty mild here, and like you say, they're on the way up again. Im probably not going to get a good idea until next winter now..

On a side note, i checked the date stamp on my tyres. The drivers side front was the 11 week of this year, and the passenger front was the 14 week of this year..

Did anyones tyres and rims come with a white dot stamped on each? All my tyres and rims have like a crayon white dot stamped. None of the dots on the rims line up with the dots on the tyres. Makes me think that my tyres have been off at some stage? weird.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Can anyone in the UK who has a GLC43 and have had their tyres changed to all seasons please let me know what size tyres they have, when they were changed and the dealer that changed them, by pm if preferred.
I had arranged to have my 19 inch tyres changed to all weather in November, all agreed with MBUK and the dealer but today the dealer has informed me that he has heard they aren't changing the tyres on GLC43's, he is trying to get confirmation and I am waiting for AMG customer services to get back to me.
As you can imagine I am not best pleased by this as the mail from MBUK in February covered the fitting of all seasons on all models including GLC43's.

Last edited by Philamg; 08-30-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good news !!
Mercedes and Dealer have come to the Party and are helping.
Fitted today
255/45/R20
Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season ROF tyres x 4.

Made in Germany, MO Extended, Run Flat technology !!!!, rim protector, extra load 105V
Treadwear 560, Traction A, Temp A, side facing out, Wet B, Fuel C and noise 70db.
Drove home in pouring wet and cold, no crabbing, quieter and sooo much better over speed humps, would not know RFT !!
Too wet to stop and check tyre presures. So will run them in for next 500km, that will be weekend. Very optimistic this will be ok. Very surprised RFT !. Just hope M&S rating will give me 40-45000km like Pirelli, but there may be a trade off, time will tell. In US they have a 50000km g'tee, looks like Oz might miss out on this feature.
Cannot source these tyres commercially yet in Oz, hopefully the supply chain will start to stock for replacements.
Thanks for everyone's help and info, really appreciate all contributions - I have learnt a lot. .
bips (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 08:11 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
I'm so pleased for you Teckno, really I am. You've put so much into this, and I appreciate the stress it was causing. Which GLC was this? What about the other one (I've forgotten if both were crabbing)?
Old 09-05-2017, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bips
I'm so pleased for you Teckno, really I am. You've put so much into this, and I appreciate the stress it was causing. Which GLC was this? What about the other one (I've forgotten if both were crabbing)?
Thanks, this is on 250d Wagon, with pirelli RFT.
Being considered for assistance for 250d Coupe, but rear tyres different profile.
The hunt continues for the Coupe and rear tyres. I felt it safer to have 4 shoes the same, otherwise different patterns, traction rates and computer working overtime to maintain stability - just my thoughts.
I cannot praise my Dealership high enough, once they were on the case, things started to happen. Thanks to them for positive outcome.
Thanks to fellow GLC owners from around the Globe.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:10 AM

GLC 250D
A piece of pure speculation. I was told by my salesman (who has since left my MB dealer, partly over the crabbing issue I think), that the GLC wasn't the only MB model affected by this. I don't recall the others, but there are other recent MB models with the same RHD conversion of that 4matic design that were at risk of crabbing.

I wonder if the 350d version of the new X series might be affected in some way? According to this article:
http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-revi...20-gxfn28.html
"From the middle of 2018 the X350d variant will join the range, with the V6 producing 190kW and 550Nm of torque, making it the most powerful ute in its class. The engine and transmission come from the Benz parts bin in this instance, as does the X350d's full-time four wheel drive system."

This intrigues me, as I do wonder whether the top of the line X series might not have been closer to what we were after. Perhaps not, but I will take a peek when they're released. But I'd be wary of a new model with a MB recently-designed 4matic AWD on RHD configuration.

Last edited by bips; 09-05-2017 at 07:07 PM. Reason: MB dealer, not MD dealer!
Old 09-05-2017, 09:56 AM

GLC43
A piece of pure speculation. I was told by my salesman (who has since left my MD dealer, partly over the crabbing issue I think), that the GLC wasn't the only MB model affected by this. I don't recall the others, but there are other recent MB models with the same RHD conversion of that 4matic design that were at risk of crabbing.

I wonder if the 350d version of the new X series might be affected in some way? According to this article:
http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-revi...20-gxfn28.html
"From the middle of 2018 the X350d variant will join the range, with the V6 producing 190kW and 550Nm of torque, making it the most powerful ute in its class. The engine and transmission come from the Benz parts bin in this instance, as does the X350d's full-time four wheel drive system."

This intrigues me, as I do wonder whether the top of the line X series might not have been closer to what we were after. Perhaps not, but I will take a peek when they're released. But I'd be wary of a new model with a MB recently-designed 4matic AWD on RHD configuration.
The A class was one of them. Didnt have to be 4-matic either.. Crabbed to buggery..
Old 09-05-2017, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Still NO all weather tyres available in UK for 19/20 inch wheels on GLC43, only available for 21 inch. Spoke to AMG customer services today and they are still trying to source. The ones being fitted to cars with 21 inch wheels are BMW tyres.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:09 PM

GLC 250D
The A class was one of them. Didn't have to be 4-matic either. Crabbed to buggery.
Eh? How is this possible? What causes a 2WD car to crab? You got a link to any reports or discussion?
Old 09-06-2017, 01:22 AM

GLC43
Eh? How is this possible? What causes a 2WD car to crab? You got a link to any reports or discussion?
I didnt research any further into the problem because i was moving it on. The tyres were 18inch conti contact sports, done about 35'000km. I had rotated them at 15'000km. The problem was most noticeable from cold, or if the car had been sitting all day under cover. Brick paving used to show up the crabbing more. Only happened on full lock.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Update on my end.. Had front tyres replaced and aligned in Sydney. I now have the 5 * conti-seal as mentioned in earlier posts. So far so good, but need a cold and wet morning to give it the proper test!
Teckno (09-09-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amg mercedes glc 43 coupe
I have a new GLC coupe 43, please check this to see if it is only my automatic, or all models: in a slope, car going down, put in reverse gear andreverse a few feet up, take foot off pedals for 5 seconds, car moves a littleforward, now try to press accelerator pedal to continue to reverse, the enginegoes OFF then the reverse gear goes to NEUTRAL on its own and car goes down theslope uncontrollable till you press the brake. Quite shocking.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Originally Posted by joejt
I have a new GLC coupe 43, please check this to see if it is only my automatic, or all models: in a slope, car going down, put in reverse gear andreverse a few feet up, take foot off pedals for 5 seconds, car moves a littleforward, now try to press accelerator pedal to continue to reverse, the enginegoes OFF then the reverse gear goes to NEUTRAL on its own and car goes down theslope uncontrollable till you press the brake. Quite shocking.
Maybe worth starting a new thread, not really to do with tyre scrubbing on full lock.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update on Goodyear 20" M&S All Season RFT. Diesel 250d.
Around 500km now, just ran around 220km , highway driving on cruise control, mix 80, 100 and 110kph, ave around 94kph.
Fuel usage sat on 6.0l/100 and at around 180km dropped to 5.7l/100.
Car boot fully loaded and doz bottles red on back seat.
Ride was good, no crabbing at night, temps around 9.c
TPMS showed front left tyre consistently higher pressure and temp to rest. Cold overnight was 36psi, running highway 38-39psi. Front left tyre about 1-2psi highr and temp varied up to 3.c higher. Could be sender, as this was similar to results with Pirelli. I still think the Goodyears are less fuel efficient compared to Pirelli, But not having crabbing is the offset.
Will do the same highway run next week in the Coupe, with non RFT, Michelin Latitude 3 type, 250d. No TPMS on that yet. Will post L/100 result.
My gut feel is that Goodyears are less fuel efficient, due to M&S, All Weather design. Maybe around 1l/100 less efficient, over 40,000km that coulfd be a few dollars and cents !!
Did do some cross country work on 4x4 track, very stable, on steep decent and across mud flats.
I still apperciate the Goodyears and their improved performance.
New results later next week.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes GLC 220d
Originally Posted by Philamg
Still NO all weather tyres available in UK for 19/20 inch wheels on GLC43, only available for 21 inch. Spoke to AMG customer services today and they are still trying to source. The ones being fitted to cars with 21 inch wheels are BMW tyres.
My dealer in Cambridge replaced 20 inch Pirellis for Vredenstein Quatrac 5 all season no questions asked in less than 2 weeks last month.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock