GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Update on Wiper Shuddering Issue

Old 01-02-2017, 02:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Update on Wiper Shuddering Issue

Possible relief on my 5th visit to dealership on the wiper shuddering issue. To briefly recap: blades replaced 3 times; outside firm professionally cleaned glass; rubbing alcohol treatment; glass cleaned repeatedly; wiper arm angle adjusted twice.
Last visit the dealership this time used a cleaning agent and 0000 grade steel wool on the windshield (very fine). So far I've had just one 5 minute rain episode to test, but shuddering not there. More to follow when we get a real rainstorm.
The following users liked this post:
dbldpr (01-02-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 04:55 PM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300
What kind of cleaning agent?
Old 01-04-2017, 07:21 PM

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
Originally Posted by Jetfuture
Dollars to donuts this is what they used. Don't need the steel wool. Scroll down a little.

https://mbworld.org/forums/new-membe...llo-texas.html
Old 01-05-2017, 03:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
GLC43 AMG
hmmm... I noticed this on my GLC43... seems to be a wider spread issue. Good to know!
Old 01-05-2017, 11:21 AM

In fact it was Bon Ami, as mentioned above...they said that most shuddering is caused by a foreign agent on the glass...said drive thru car washes sometimes shoot wax or rainx, to be avoided.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:03 AM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
AMG GLC 43, GLC Coupe 300 2020
wiper Judder

3 week old AMG GLC43 first rain Yesterday Wiper Judder is present.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:30 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
GLC43 AMG
Originally Posted by wmc021
3 week old AMG GLC43 first rain Yesterday Wiper Judder is present.
It goes away after a while. There's some crap on the windshield when the car is new. Had the same thing, now it's fine
wmc021 (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 11:32 AM

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
FWIW, I has this issue with Bosch Icon blades on my Avalanche, of all things. It was bad. I had previously purchased a product called "Glass Scrub" to get some water stains off the pano glass on my E63 that was left from the PO. Worked beautifully, even on my outside rearview mirrors. So, I tied it on my windshield on my Avalanche and judder disappeared. Never came back. Then put on new wipers. Did it again and used the glass scrub again. Same result; no judder.

I'm sure Bon Ami is cheaper, though.
pjw1967 (01-24-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 01:52 PM

2016 GLC300
Has anyone tried silicone wiper blades? They are difficult to find, generally not sold at bricks and mortar stores. Scotty Kilmer on youTube swears by them. Everybody that uses them states they last for 5-7 years. But....do they run smoothly on the GLC300? Before I order some I wanted to make sure that the MB OEM blades are not already silicone. Anybody know?
Old 11-23-2017, 09:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4matic, 2021 BMW R1200GS
Has anyone tried silicone wiper blades? They are difficult to find, generally not sold at bricks and mortar stores. Scotty Kilmer on youTube swears by them. Everybody that uses them states they last for 5-7 years. But....do they run smoothly on the GLC300? Before I order some I wanted to make sure that the MB OEM blades are not already silicone. Anybody know?
What source? Others have posted that aftermarket wipers are not available for the GLC.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:24 PM

2016 GLC300
Originally Posted by George in KG
What source? Others have posted that aftermarket wipers are not available for the GLC.
www.silblade.com

They show that the blades fit the GLC300, but the connector doesn't look identical. I think Mercedes is like Apple. They continue to switch the type of wiper connection to keep fooling the aftermarket companies!
Old 11-28-2017, 07:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC300 4Matic
GLC's wipers are an embarrassment. Considering that they are $100 + a pair (saw the invoice when they replaced my original)

The W205 C Class is affected as well.

My Lexus wipers lasted me 5 years with zero judder and perfectly clean wipes. With my GLC, I dont use the wipers as often as I would've liked due to the obnoxious sounds it makes
Old 03-02-2018, 09:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 GLC300 P01 selenite grey
After I noticed the wiper shudder on my GLC, I applied RainX on the windshield. This was a bad idea and I think made the problem worse. Also, RainX did not remove any of the water out of the glass when driving in the rain!...
In all of my other cars, RainX worked like magic, and I didn't even have to use the wipers in the rain... With the GLC the water just stays there, like surface tension...
Thus, I believe what stumpie was told by Benz is true, i.e. that there is some foreign agent on the glass of the GLC.
I now cleaned the windshield with Windex, and will also use alcohol. I hope this reduces the shudder. I will report results.
It's a good thing it doesn't rain much in LA.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:47 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 GLC 300
Originally Posted by stath
After I noticed the wiper shudder on my GLC, I applied RainX on the windshield. This was a bad idea and I think made the problem worse. Also, RainX did not remove any of the water out of the glass when driving in the rain!...
In all of my other cars, RainX worked like magic, and I didn't even have to use the wipers in the rain... With the GLC the water just stays there, like surface tension...
Thus, I believe what stumpie was told by Benz is true, i.e. that there is some foreign agent on the glass of the GLC.
I now cleaned the windshield with Windex, and will also use alcohol. I hope this reduces the shudder. I will report results.
It's a good thing it doesn't rain much in LA.
Try Bon Ami with some steel wool....
Old 03-04-2018, 10:15 PM

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
Originally Posted by Ddmccormack
Try Bon Ami with some steel wool....
Make sure to use original Bon Ami in the red can. Try it first with a cloth.

Scroll down on site to see the original.
http://www.bonami.com/index.php/prod...wder_cleanser/

Last edited by pjw1967; 03-04-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:29 PM

Received 132 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Ceramic coating on windshield must help too. I had full paint correction and detail on my GLC when purchased and they ceramic'd the windshield...smooth as a baby's bottom, as they say.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:49 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
So as i neared my 10k service / approximately 11 months of ownership i noticed that the wipers were basically quiet - but saw a couple of streaks when wiping, which on all other wipers usually happens after 2 or 3 years of service, not just one

so at the 10k service they changed the wiper blades, and a few days later the first rain and... MAJOR shuddering and noise and jerkiness when wiping

so as far as i'm concerned its basically the cheap wipers they use. will be interesting to see if / when these quiet down and hopefully some nice aftermarkets become available.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:59 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC43
Mine were juddering so bad that they were momentarily sticking / stopping on the glass in the upper position. Took it back to the dealer where they cleaned the glass - still didnt fix the problem. They ended up changing the blades in the end and its been smooth ever since.. I suspect they have a bad batch of blades, or the blades have been contaminated somewhere between the factory and the dealer.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by tiger_x
Mine were juddering so bad that they were momentarily sticking / stopping on the glass in the upper position. Took it back to the dealer where they cleaned the glass - still didnt fix the problem. They ended up changing the blades in the end and its been smooth ever since.. I suspect they have a bad batch of blades, or the blades have been contaminated somewhere between the factory and the dealer.
the noise i have this time is that at the top of stroke (100% vertical) it almost seems to stick and make noise, seems similar to what you see
kind of quiet as it wipes
then when it get horizontal and change direction its almost like its hanging up again.
this problem appears similar to yours, and different than before, when it was noisy and jump the whole way across

in general the wipers appear cheap to me, compared to the Bosh i usually purchase
also im guessing they are rubber, which i never buy anymore, because the silicone seems far superior.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:06 PM

2011 Mercedes GLK350 4Matic in White
alternate cleaners

I use citrus based acidic cleaners (opposed to chemically based strong acids) for many household tough jobs. I have found. "Bar Keeper's Friend" in powder or cream formats to be an excellent bug/oil/grease killer that does not damage the finish or scratch at all as it contains no abrasives. Sponge on a decent coat with a wet sponge, wait 10 minutes and wipe off then rinse well. In my northern climate, we have forests of evergreens that coat the car with a sticky/dry pollen that's tough to get off when the trees are at their worst. A diluted mix sprayed on and sponged off does wonders then too. And rem ember good old fashioned vinegar can degrease wonderfully.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:08 PM

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 GLC300 4matic SUV
Mine juddered somewhat when the car was new. I've had similar issues with wipers on other new cars, although nowhere near as bad as this. It's been my experience that the issue resolves itself over time and with some usage, and that is pretty much what happened with my GLC. It's been 9 months and 4000 miles, and they run smoothly now. I use automatic/intermittent settings (no high speed wiping) and have done nothing to the glass.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:14 PM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by cfugle
I use citrus based acidic cleaners (opposed to chemically based strong acids) for many household tough jobs. I have found. "Bar Keeper's Friend" in powder or cream formats to be an excellent bug/oil/grease killer that does not damage the finish or scratch at all as it contains no abrasives.
I’d be careful using BKF on a windshield. I love the product and have used it for years on stainless steel pots and pans and even my high end kitchen sink. We remodeled 4 bathrooms a couple of years ago and I noticed the porcelain sinks were getting a little spotted after a while. So I whipped out my trusty BKF thinking it would be safe to use. While it didn’t seem to damage the sink, to my surprise it did scratch the chrome finish of the surround around the drain. The faucets are Grohe and the drains came with the faucets. Point is, I assume they are decent quality.
Anyway, I switched to Original Bon Ami after reading about it here and i have used it to safely clean the inside glass of my oven doors, which nothing would touch, and my bathroom and kitchen sinks.

Bottom line, I believe BKF is at LEAST slightly abrasive and would try it in an inconspicuous place before using it on the whole windshield. Others in this forum have used Original Bon Ami with no reports of damage that I’m aware of. I haven’t tried it yet as my wipers, so far, have not shuddered.

I’d just hate for someone to ruin their windshield. And I may be totally wrong about BKF, but just be aware. No disrespect intended to you either cfugle. I’ve learned a lot from others sharing their experience on this forum.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:28 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 GLC 300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by ajmtbm
So as i neared my 10k service / approximately 11 months of ownership i noticed that the wipers were basically quiet - but saw a couple of streaks when wiping, which on all other wipers usually happens after 2 or 3 years of service, not just one

so at the 10k service they changed the wiper blades, and a few days later the first rain and... MAJOR shuddering and noise and jerkiness when wiping

so as far as i'm concerned its basically the cheap wipers they use. will be interesting to see if / when these quiet down and hopefully some nice aftermarkets become available.
Problem is it's been 2 years and there are no aftermarkets available still. Who thought inventing yet another wiper attachment mechanism was a good idea???
Old 04-29-2018, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by waylo
Problem is it's been 2 years and there are no aftermarkets available still. Who thought inventing yet another wiper attachment mechanism was a good idea???
Is that why there are no aftermarket? They changed the design? Agreed that is ridiculous. So basically where stuck buying from mb for the foreseeable future? Unbelievable. I can't wait to see how much that will cost .
Old 04-29-2018, 02:14 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 GLC 300 4MATIC
Must be? Back in 2016, I purchased wipers listed as compatible from Amazon's compatibility algorithm. They were not in any way compatible, though the wipers came with 5? adapter systems.

I realized the change in wiper attachment when I first tried to fix the juddering issue myself, thinking the wipers were just crap (maybe they are). There were no youtube videos on how to remove them, as they didn't resemble anything mercedes had put out earlier. I did find one of the plastic pieces securing the wiper was cracked, which actually may have exacerbated the judder. I had that fixed and the shaking improved somewhat.

If someone on here can point to valid 3rd party wipers, they'll be some happy buyers here.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Update on Wiper Shuddering Issue