MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLC Class (X253) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253-203/)
-   -   First chip in hood and windshield (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253/649685-first-chip-hood-windshield.html)

gainful 01-11-2017 11:50 PM

First chip in hood and windshield

900 miles and 41 days after getting the GLC....on 2 consecutive days...each time a small rock on the road hit the windshield leaving a small chip/dent, right in the driver's sightline, very annoying. One of the rock even left a paint chip on my hood right on the crease....

How long had your cars been chip-free? How do you deal with /fix the chips on the windshield and hood?

dejongj 01-12-2017 03:20 AM

2 weeks for the first hood chip
2 months for the windscreen chip

BCRCornet 01-12-2017 09:53 AM

Three weeks after taking delivery, I got two stone chips in the windshield. One was superficial, the other was serious enough that it could have been repaired with the "inject a liquid" technique, but at the risk of future cracking and spreading.

I elected to replace the windshield. However, I did purchase additional "new vehicle replacement cost" insurance (with coverage for OEM parts replacement) at time of taking delivery, with an additional "deductible reimbursement" feature. Net cost to me for replacing the windshield was $0.00.

GLC220Exclusive 01-12-2017 12:35 PM

One small hood chip on drive home after collecting my new Black GLC 220 Exclusive....:zoom:....:X :evil: :wall::X

gainful 01-12-2017 09:06 PM

What did you do to fix the hood chips? Touch-up? or ask the windshield guy to put resin in?

Jetfuture 01-12-2017 10:09 PM

Our 2016 GLC was a service loaner with 775 miles and a rock chip right in front of the driver on the windshield when we purchased it. We negotiated to have the windshield fixed when we took delivery. The fix didn't satisfy my wife, as one could still see the resin/epoxy material used. The dealer, to their credit, replaced the windshield with a new OEM windshield.

Killswitch747 01-13-2017 11:28 AM

Clear bra guys.

ArcticWhiteZ51 01-13-2017 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by gainful
What did you do to fix the hood chips? Touch-up? or ask the windshield guy to put resin in?

If you are a DIY person this stuff works pretty good all things considered. I've only used it on white though.
https://www.drcolorchip.com/

GLKpaul 01-14-2017 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Killswitch747 (Post 7023966)
Clear bra guys.

+1

Ejbrock 01-14-2017 06:31 PM

Ejbrock

Originally Posted by ArcticWhiteZ51 (Post 7024401)
If you are a DIY person this stuff works pretty good all things considered. I've only used it on white though.
https://www.drcolorchip.com/

+1 on Dr. Colorchip. I have had great results with dark color paint.

Jason Zhang 01-15-2017 08:34 PM

Caught a rock while driving through the Rockies and cracked the windshield 2months into ownership. replaced with OEM windshield for 800cdnhttps://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...0ef3a2e312.jpg

gainful 02-27-2017 10:00 PM

Reporting back...90 days and 1800 miles into ownership of my GLC.

Found 6 paint chips on the car so far:

1 on A-pillar above driver
1 on A-pillar above passenger
1 on lower passenger door
1 on bumper lip
2 on hood

+3 chips on the acoustic windshield

I don't live in mountain or snowy area, and can't believe 3 months of rain in the SF bay area could create so many flying gravels that cause such extensive damage. My wife's 7-year-old GLK never had through-paint chip, only nicks from gravel hits.

Seriously questioning the paint quality, especially when you paid extra $1K for the Designo paint. Not something acceptable by Mercedes standards.

fabbrisd1 02-27-2017 10:11 PM

Yes - nano clearcost is "harder" - as compared to "softer" clearcoats used up thru mid-2000's...

Road debris gets kicked up a LOT more from fun trucks - lower profile passenger car tires - etc...

I am NOT saying it's not as pain... it is a PAIN... what I saying it's MORE common that ever before - in theme in line to what's reported here.... also in line with MORE COMMON to have flat tires for different/yet similar contemporary reasons...

jamespaul 02-28-2017 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by gainful (Post 7069158)
Reporting back...90 days and 1800 miles into ownership of my GLC.

Found 6 paint chips on the car so far:

1 on A-pillar above driver
1 on A-pillar above passenger
1 on lower passenger door
1 on bumper lip
2 on hood

+3 chips on the acoustic windshield

I don't live in mountain or snowy area, and can't believe 3 months of rain in the SF bay area could create so many flying gravels that cause such extensive damage. My wife's 7-year-old GLK never had through-paint chip, only nicks from gravel hits.

Seriously questioning the paint quality, especially when you paid extra $1K for the Designo paint. Not something acceptable by Mercedes standards.

I always thought that SUV's being taller than cars, they should have lesser windshield cracks, or paint chips.

But based on your experience, it has been horrible.

Any chance that you drive too closely to the front cars/ trucks?

Bernadôtte 02-28-2017 10:05 AM

Took delivery of my GLC 250 4matic on January 25th.
Last week a rock from a passing truck payed a visit.
Next week my windshield will be replaced w oem.

If you compare today's windshields with the ones
in the 80's, there's no questioning that nowadays
the quality has really significantly decreased.

"Revenue, shareholders, etc....."

:mad:

Mountkeen 02-28-2017 11:08 AM

I don't think it's a "quality" issue. Glass is heavy and as cars have had to become lighter to be more efficient and less polluting then the materials they are made of have changed. Glass in modern cars may often be thinner and have more complex shapes than on the past.

Technical requirements may have changed since the 80s but in general the quality of the vehicles we drive has much improved.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be either. 😉

gainful 02-28-2017 12:48 PM

Response from my local dealer when I mentioned the paint chip issue to him:

" New vehicles in general with all manufactures when it comes to paint coatings much thinner than what they use to be. Mush has to do with EPA regulations and the type of paint that is used today. "

larrypmyers 02-28-2017 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by gainful (Post 7022473)
900 miles and 41 days after getting the GLC....on 2 consecutive days...each time a small rock on the road hit the windshield leaving a small chip/dent, right in the driver's sightline, very annoying. One of the rock even left a paint chip on my hood right on the crease....

How long had your cars been chip-free? How do you deal with /fix the chips on the windshield and hood?

I feel your pain.

My first stop after taking possession of a new vehicle is the paint protection shop.

On my GLC had the hood, headlights, front end, mirrors, partial front fenders and the top of the rear bumper wrapped with XPel. This treatment solves the paint chip problem, unless its a big object.

If your vehicle has already acquired damage, suggest you take to a body shop for repair. Or, if your handy and the damage is slight you may want to diy.

I'm aware there are wraps for the windscreen but otherwise have no experience.

fearyoda 02-28-2017 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bernadôtte (Post 7069533)
Took delivery of my GLC 250 4matic on January 25th.
Last week a rock from a passing truck payed a visit.
Next week my windshield will be replaced w oem.

If you compare today's windshields with the ones
in the 80's, there's no questioning that nowadays
the quality has really significantly decreased.

"Revenue, shareholders, etc....."

:mad:

Your picture is hawt