Old 02-15-2017, 12:28 PM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2017 GLC 300 4Matic, 2008 FJ Cruiser
Nice, thanks for the info.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:43 PM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300, 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLC300
Originally Posted by GSOTXL
...And both told me that it's not easy to invoke the system because most of the time, natural defensive driving will do something that will "assure" the drivers assistance systems that you are in control...
It means that those of us who managed to invoke the system are kamikazes.
The following users liked this post:
Stevehorn (08-13-2019)
Old 02-15-2017, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by GSOTXL
Collision Prevention (or CPA+) is not in my Drivers Assistance settings options in the instrument cluster, BUT PRE-SAFE Brake is. Also, using the car settings button> Operators Manual, there are Animations to watch on the display screen. One of them is for PRE-SAFE Brake, and it basically shows all that I would expect from CPA+ (and maybe then some).

I drove my local dealer to confirm....a SA referred me to a sales associate who gave not super clear info but BOTH talked about their experiences in testing the function at a corporate demo, driving into large balloon items and bales of hay. And both told me that it's not easy to invoke the system because most of the time, natural defensive driving will do something that will "assure" the drivers assistance systems that you are in control.

So I am thinking that all this confusion is maybe just misleading/bad print on the window stickers and unclear and even incomplete notes in the operators manual. It would be very simple if they clearly said that if you have Drivers Assistance package in US, then CPA+ is integrated into other systems and you won't see Collision Prevention in the Settings> Drivers Assistance options but you WILL see PRE-SAFE Brake.

And I know that this was attempted to be clarified in these topics before, but the incorrect content in MBUSA's window sticker and operator's manual does make it quite possible to misunderstand what features you actually have if you got the DA package.

I know, I know.....We were told, it was explained to us. But never-the-less, we persisted.
Couldn't resist that one.
At least, though, I am not so worried that my $54K car is missing a key safety feature for which I bought the car in the first place anymore. But still waiting for the beep-beep-beep, and the seatbelts tensioning, and emergency braking to engage...
Thanks for the info. That's what I thought. It is integrated into the package.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by blizzard12
It means that those of us who managed to invoke the system are kamikazes.
It's designed to mitigate or prevent a collision, and isn't a perfect 100% avoidance deal. For one, it's reliant on perfect assumed traction, if you were on a very poor road surface, or wet roads, or covered with sand, when it finally intervenes will be too late to prevent the collision completely but will at least slow you down a lot so the hit is soft.

Relying on the system or trying to test it yourself to prove it works, isn't really a great idea. Drive attentively, and be thankful when the system helps you out.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
20 GLE on order, 17 GLC 300 4M, Ducati 1299R
I have he P3 package on my GLC and can assure you the system works. Just a few days ago I had a car on the freeway dive into my lane very closely and hit the brakes at the same time for whatever reason. There were audible alerts, red warning light on the center display and automatic braking all at once.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiniti EX 35
Has anyone in the US with 997 Driver Assistance Package ever received a warning (visual or acoustic)? I have not whereas my 2011 Infiniti EX35 with a comparable feature called Intelligent Brake Assist has consistently warned me when I have gotten too close to the vehicles ahead of me.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
like a maniac
Does anyone have cardboard boxes to test this? I highly suggest against trying this in real traffic conditions. I don't know why some of you are testing this feature on your $40k and up GLC without cardboard boxes that are chump change in comparison...

For anyone who needs it, this is from Euro NCAP's testing of the GLC with appropriately equipped options (skip to 3:08ish for auto brake testing)

Last edited by Witch; 02-16-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Jetfuture (12-06-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
I tested the system on a "large" cardboard box in my discovery sport and someone else tried with a blow up kangaroo, neither worked. Land rover customer services said that it wasn't designed to see objects like this but see cars, I have had the car 22 months and not had a beep out of it.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Philamg
I tested the system on a "large" cardboard box in my discovery sport and someone else tried with a blow up kangaroo, neither worked. Land rover customer services said that it wasn't designed to see objects like this but see cars, I have had the car 22 months and not had a beep out of it.
Benz dealer told me some obstacles just won't trigger the system. Their (factory) dummies use some kind of foam that reflects radar waves. Balloon cars are made to look like real cars in order for the cameras (on cars with intelligent drive package or equivalent) to "recognize" them by their characteristics.
​​​
Old 02-16-2017, 09:06 PM

like a maniac
Originally Posted by Philamg
Originally Posted by blizzard12
Benz dealer told me some obstacles just won't trigger the system. Their (factory) dummies use some kind of foam that reflects radar waves. Balloon cars are made to look like real cars in order for the cameras (on cars with intelligent drive package or equivalent) to "recognize" them by their characteristics.
​​​
Subaru, at the moment, only uses stereo cameras for their forward collision prevention feature on their EyeSight system. Of course it is not without its downsides being dependent on vision for cameras but a ~$23k car having better safety features than a ~$40k and up Mercedes Benz says a lot about both Mercedes and Subaru.

I'm not surprised though since BMW, Infiniti, Lexus, and other luxury brands fall into the same pitfall of price vs. active safety feature capability.

I would love to see some actual live footage of real owners testing their GLC's auto brake feature though. IIHS can't or doesn't test the auto brake feature on the GLC and maybe for reasons which both of you outlined.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:04 AM

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
2023 (X254) GLC300 RWD White
Originally Posted by Witch
Subaru, at the moment, only uses stereo cameras for their forward collision prevention feature on their EyeSight system. Of course it is not without its downsides being dependent on vision for cameras but a ~$23k car having better safety features than a ~$40k and up Mercedes Benz says a lot about both Mercedes and Subaru.

I'm not surprised though since BMW, Infiniti, Lexus, and other luxury brands fall into the same pitfall of price vs. active safety feature capability.

I would love to see some actual live footage of real owners testing their GLC's auto brake feature though. IIHS can't or doesn't test the auto brake feature on the GLC and maybe for reasons which both of you outlined.

If you want to see real testing, search YOUTUBE there are any number of videos showing it in action.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:23 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 E300 Sport, 2017 GLC300 Sport/Night
Originally Posted by Allanf6
Has anyone in the US with 997 Driver Assistance Package ever received a warning (visual or acoustic)? I have not whereas my 2011 Infiniti EX35 with a comparable feature called Intelligent Brake Assist has consistently warned me when I have gotten too close to the vehicles ahead of me.
I have the 997 Driver Assistance Package and I received an audible warning yesterday. I had looked down for something, and heard two warning beeps. When I looked back up quickly, the car ahead of me (about three car lengths away) was moving much slower than I was. The system gave me plenty of time to slow down.

This was so far the only activation of the system that I've experienced, but I only have about 300 miles on the GLC.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
GLC43
I have P3 that includes Driver Assistance Package - 23P (see below).

P03 Premium Package: COMAND® System w/ Navigation, Navigation Map

877 : Ambient Lighting (3 Colors)
815 : DVD Player
640 : Active LED Headlamps
608 : Adaptive Highbeam Assist
531 : COMAND w/Navigation and Voice Control
513 : Speed Limit Assist
502 : Navigation Map Updates included for 3-years
448 : Touchpad
300 : PRE-SAFE Brake with Pedestrian Recognition
30P : Storage Package
271 : PRE-SAFE PLUS
269 : Badging on Dashboard
268 : BAS PLUS with Cross-Traffic Assist
266 : DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist
253 : PRE-SAFE Plus Rear-End Collision Protection
238 : Active Lane Keeping Assist
237 : Active Blind Spot Assist
233 : DISTRONIC PLUS (with PRE-SAFE® Brake)
23P : Driver Assistance Package
U71 : DVD Coding
U25 : Illuminated Door Sill Panels
P21 : AIR BALANCE Cabin-Air Purification and Fragrance System

Yesterday for the first time, I did experience it working. Not something I would try to attempt to recreate thought...

I was at the stop sign with a car stopped in front of me. When the car in front of me started to inch forward, I slowly let my foot off the breaks, but then all of a sudden the car in front of me (for no apparent reason - no other cars, nor pedestrians) abruptly stopped again, and before I could react to any of this, I heard the beeping (since everything happened when I least expect it, I could not even remember if it was one continuous beep, or multiple fast beeps), I tried to search for my breaks, but realized that it was already applied further down, and since I was so focused on getting myself in control of the situation again, I did not really paid attention to my dashboard during the occurrence, but did notice something on display. By the time I got back control of the situation, the dashboard went back to normal, the beeping sound had stopped, and my foot was already on the breaks. I would not attempt to repeat this situation, unless racing heartbeat and cold sweat is your thing.
V70 (02-17-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 GLC 300
I have a 2016 with Driver Assistance Package.

Yesterday I was driving on a 4-lane highway, in the right-hand lane, but with an exit lane to my right. All of a sudden, the cars in the exit lane jammed to a stop, and one of the trailing cars in the exit lane (which I assume was going much slower than traffic in my lane) jumped in front of the car in front of me, which slammed on its brakes. Just as I started to react, I got a double-beep, my seat belt jerked tight, and the car started to brake on its own (or at least was assisting my own braking, as I was just starting to press the brake. Of course this all happened in less than a second). This is the first time in 10,000 miles I had this experience. I think this behavior is exactly the extra safety cushion we are all looking for.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:48 PM

Infiniti EX 35
Thank you for sharing your experience. It is good to hear that someone with the Driver Assistance Package had their system work! The rest of us will hopefully have similar experiences if needed.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 GLC300
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
It's designed to mitigate or prevent a collision, and isn't a perfect 100% avoidance deal. For one, it's reliant on perfect assumed traction, if you were on a very poor road surface, or wet roads, or covered with sand, when it finally intervenes will be too late to prevent the collision completely but will at least slow you down a lot so the hit is soft.

Relying on the system or trying to test it yourself to prove it works, isn't really a great idea. Drive attentively, and be thankful when the system helps you out.
It was a garbage day in my neighborhood last Tuesday and I can confirm to you all that the standard Collision Assistant did not give me any warning before I ran over a garbage can that was sitting in the middle of the street. Mind you, I was not trying to test my car because honestly due to speed, it was too late for me to break completely before hitting it. So, in my case, the system did not help me out when I needed it. I'm just thankful that it was made of plastic and not metal!
Old 02-19-2017, 12:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 GLC300, 13 PorscheC4S, 12 Porsche Cayman S
Originally Posted by daffy1
It was a garbage day in my neighborhood last Tuesday and I can confirm to you all that the standard Collision Assistant did not give me any warning before I ran over a garbage can that was sitting in the middle of the street. Mind you, I was not trying to test my car because honestly due to speed, it was too late for me to break completely before hitting it. So, in my case, the system did not help me out when I needed it. I'm just thankful that it was made of plastic and not metal!
You might want to carefully read the description of the system on Page 69 of your owners manual. I think you will understand that the system is looking for large objects, that is autos/trucks, rather than smaller objects. It MAY save you in certain situations, but it is not a substitute for paying attention to what is ahead of you. Personally, I have had 2-3 instances of the system warning and/or intervening when a vehicle has moved into my lane unexpectedly. I have also had it signal a large brick mailbox close to the edge of the road as well as a large wheeled garbage can. That said, when I tried to duplicate that deliberately, no luck!!
Old 02-21-2017, 09:10 PM

like a maniac
Unfortunate but it's one large downside to depending on radars for driver assistance and safety features.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
e350
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Repeat - when you have Driver's Assistance - you DON'T have Collision Prevention Assistance + ... do NOT drive towards a wall at 35mph and expect auto emergency braking... do NOT expect pre-pre-colllision alert... etc.. Yes, Pre-Safe Brake and updated BAS + are shared by both systems..
100% Correct. If you have driver assist, you do not have autonomous breaking (UNLESS: your foot is already on the break, or you are using the auto cruise control) I have researched this and believe that Mercedes is at fault here for misleading customers. Not sure what to do about it, but it is what is it.. it will warn you and beep, but it will NOT autonomously break if your foot is off the break pedal.

Last edited by JSandro; 02-26-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by JSandro
100% Correct. I set up a huge cardboard box and the car drive right though it. If you have driver assist, you do not have autonomous breaking (UNLESS: your foot is already on the break, or you are using the auto cruise control) I have researched this and believe that Mercedes is at fault here for misleading customers. Not sure what to do about it, but it is what is it.. it will warn you and beep, but it will NOT autonomously break if your foot is off the break pedal.
Did you get visual/audio warnings before hitting the cardboard box or nothing at all?
Old 02-26-2017, 06:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
SL500, GLC300
Originally Posted by JSandro
100% Correct. If you have driver assist, you do not have autonomous breaking (UNLESS: your foot is already on the break, or you are using the auto cruise control) I have researched this and believe that Mercedes is at fault here for misleading customers. Not sure what to do about it, but it is what is it.. it will warn you and beep, but it will NOT autonomously break if your foot is off the break pedal.
i have all the driver assist programs and mine will auto break...
Old 02-27-2017, 04:47 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC 300
I have the same specs as Allanf6 and Collision Prevention system has worked for me. It worked amazingly well. Fully autonomous.

My window sticker below states that my car has COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS and 997 Driver Assistance Package.

This is the window sticker of my car
Old 04-22-2017, 11:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C300W4, E300W4, HP4. Smt4Two
Got a '17 C-sport with all options, pkg4, etc everything
Sticker says Collision prevention etc but not in settings
Old 12-05-2017, 06:54 AM

Glc300
Won't work!?

This popped up yesterday and it won't reset even after restarting engine. Thoughts?
Old 12-05-2017, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by Dlars

This popped up yesterday and it won't reset even after restarting engine. Thoughts?
Take it to the dealer and have it reflashed, there's a software update for the CPA system, they seem to knock them out over the air from time to time so people come in and get the new software. It will actually have a fault stored for VIN does not match, but the update fixes it. CLA and C class cars do it all the time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.